The Kickstarter Experience

The Kickstarter Experience

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:58 am

I'd never even heard of "Kickstarter" six or so months ago, but since then it's become pretty common around here.
Does it work?
What does "work" mean in this context, anyway?
How much does it set a project back if the goal isn't achieved?
Or did no one not get to their set goal?
Would you do it again?
Is the offering of gifts (and of different gifts for different levels) sort of mandatory?
Did anyone not use it because of the Amazon connection?

My experience was okay, I supported two projects, both of which achieved their goals. I have a teeshirt and I declined a gift from the other. (which I kinda prefer, because I'd rather that the money went into the project.)
I hate the fact that I'm getting spammed by kickstarter. I mean, come on.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:21 pm

I'd still like to know what you guys thought of kickstarter.

(aka Bump)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Kickstarter

Postby RevDusty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:30 pm

I'd never heard of it until our group used it. We raised more than our goal, so it worked really well for us. I don't know if you lose anything if you don't get your goal, but you don't get the money. It gave us good exposure, but wasn't our only venue for funds or publicity, but w/o it we wouldn't have been able to do it. Gifts for different levels of giving is kind of a nice thing, especially when it is some unique schwag.
Rev. Dusty Sportswood
RevDusty

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:17 am

I'm thinking of using KS for a film project, but I guess you have to set a realistic goal. There's another one called Indie-go-go, but you can keep all moneys raised, regardless of whether you met your goal.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:36 am

Yeah, that not being able to keep your money thing bothers me. I"m giving money to art I want to be able to see. Getting my money back would make me kinda sad.
I suppose there are other scenerios where I would want my money back. And there are other people who wouldn't want to give money to somethihng that wasn't successful.
Or something.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Money Back

Postby RevDusty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:59 pm

The idea of the money back does make some sense. If a project can't reach their goal, and therefore can't create their art, what are they gonna do w/the money? Go to dinner? So, it's a way to add some assurance that your money actually goes to a project that can finish. That's my take on it.
Rev. Dusty Sportswood
RevDusty

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Yeah, but I felt, at least in my long-term knowledge of Mr. Jellyfish, that my money would go to a scaled down version, rather than being randomly squandered.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Eklypz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:46 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]Yeah, but I felt, at least in my long-term knowledge of Mr. Jellyfish, that my money would go to a scaled down version, rather than being randomly squandered.[/quote]

There is always the option of going directly to the artist and donating to them.

I am a bit of KS addict. I give 5 or 10 to many projects (almost always declining physical gifts) and most of them provide lots of updates of how it is being used so is fun for me to see people make their creative dreams come true.

I am fascinated by big dreamers so if my small part can help them create their dream and I even get to see it complete, just makes me so very happy. Very few projects I have donated too (think I am upto about 15?) have not received funding but I really research the feasability of it. If the artist seems together on their presentation then most likely it will work out.
~o(Eklypz)o~
Eklypz

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Hookahdome

Postby naimas2 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 pm

There is also a new crowd funding site called ME-Force. The good thing about ME-Force is that the projects have NO deadlines! That gives you time to develop your fund-raising campaign, find supporters etc. I have friends who didn't really pick up steam until the last week of the project and then they just fell short of their goal and Kickstarter didn't give them anything.

www.me-force.com
naimas2

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Deadlines can be good things, if it means getting people to stop procrastinating.
Ugly Dougly

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:32 pm

I donated to three things on kickstarter this year and thought it was pretty cool way to do it. I was also kinda bummed that if the project didn't meet the goal, they'd just give the money back, but everything ended up being funded.

I don't really like the spam from random projects I've never heard of though.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Yeah, that e-mail a week thing is old.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:10 pm

My film project's getting funded:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gui ... s-daughter
Woot!
Ugly Dougly

Re: The Kickstarter Experience

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:30 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]I'd never even heard of "Kickstarter" six or so months ago, but since then it's become pretty common around here.
Does it work?

>>Yes, if you are realistic, compelling, and well timed.

>> You get money to build art

>> Zero $

>> Some did not.

Would you do it again?

>> Yes, and perhaps break multiple small Kickstarters down to different elements of the project so folks can feel more involved in the details by making them happen.

Is the offering of gifts (and of different gifts for different levels) sort of mandatory?

>> Yes. After reviewing the one I did for Ein Hammer, they wrote me back making it clear that the general gift of art to the attendees of Burning Man was not enough to be considered. I highly recommend that busy artists farm that out if they can. I used an online t-shirt print-and-mail service so I would not have to maintain inventory and people seemed pleased with their "prizes".

>> I don't know.

I like the "countdown" excitement of Kickstarter as it plays along with our countdown to Burning Man. I don't think I would use it around now for a BM project unless you were asking for a small amount. Lots of folks are understandably hibernating.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:09 am

btw, Jelly, got your lovely tee shirt last week.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:25 pm

You are most welcome, dearest.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:38 pm

*blushes*
Thank you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

I'm hoping Kickstarter works

Postby brookmadden » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:51 pm

I've looked up quite a few projects that have been successful on KS, including last year's temple! I'm hoping mine gets funded this year: http://kck.st/ht810J
brookmadden

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:04 am

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby moonrise » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks Fishy, that is a good article.

Does anyone know the names of other crowd-funding sites?
I know of a humanitarian non-profit that could use some help with an educational project.

Also, The Pier will have a kickstarter soon I am told. :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Georgie Boy on Kickstarter

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:25 pm

"Be a lamb, won't you? Visit my new Kickstarter to see my remarkable rewards that make YOU the star!" -Georgie Boy

Click here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mi ... burning-ma
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Sic Pup » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Wow! Those are some awesome incentives, almost makes me wish I hadn't bought the BM ticket already. The personal message is awesome I can think of a number of good uses for that, and the "yes/no/ahahaha" remote could lead to some hilarious scenarios. Decisions, decisions.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:13 pm

The Burning Man "Sponsor a Project" link for this year is up and starting to show the Kickstarters of many a fine project at:

http://www.burningman.com/participate/s ... index.html

Please support the art and pledge to your favorite project today.
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby actiongrl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Moonrise, your average nonprofit/do-gooder might find interesting footholds at http://startsomegood.com/ .
actiongrl

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:47 am

The One Mile Clock thing has Kickstarter funding, or they're working on it. I contributed to a couple of projects there in addition to the clock.

I also follow the clock on Twatter.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby JStep » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:02 pm

moonrise wrote:Thanks Fishy, that is a good article.

Does anyone know the names of other crowd-funding sites?
I know of a humanitarian non-profit that could use some help with an educational project.

Also, The Pier will have a kickstarter soon I am told. :)

The other main player it would seem is http://indiegogo.com with the main difference being that as the money comes in it gets paid. I like that idea, but think the project needs to be managed accordingly. (I almost did an indiegogo campaign for a project but decided against it.) I think if you used indiegogo, you do need to make it clear what the money goes to if full funding isn't reached, explaining how money is to be used. In my mock up I was going to do (for an adult sized ball pit) I made it clear that the project would be going forward whether or not funding was successful and that funding the project was simply defraying the cost from the organizers and therefore made more frills possible for the project itself; more balls, bigger pit, etc.

I think that each site has it's own pros and cons. Some potential donors do work under the assumption that if the funding doesn't make goal the project is off so why fund? (I think that's flawed, if I make it to $9,995 of my $10,000 goal, am I really going to just cancel the project and squander the cash for lack of $5? Obviously not.)
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Re: The Kickstarter Experience

Postby chris2010 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:47 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I'd never even heard of "Kickstarter" six or so months ago, but since then it's become pretty common around here.
Does it work?
Would you do it again?

My experience was okay, I supported two projects, both of which achieved their goals. I have a teeshirt and I declined a gift from the other. (which I kinda prefer, because I'd rather that the money went into the project.)
I hate the fact that I'm getting spammed by kickstarter. I mean, come on.

I think its a great idea for helping people get their ideas off the ground! I have supported two Kickstarter projects. (Both Burning Man related too.)

1) Publish "The People of Burning Man" Coffee Table Book by Julian Cash (A coffee table book of the amazing people of Burning Man.) Which met it's Goal and is now Fully Funded :)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/juliancash/publish-the-people-of-burning-man-coffee-table-boo

2) 1MileCLOCK by Jim Bowers (We are constructing a CLOCK that when complete, will shatter the current record for the largest clock in the world! Over 5000' across!) Which also met it's Goal and will be Fully Funded in 42 hrs and counting :)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/724657596/1mileclock

I think Jim is still looking for Artists for his project, so if anyone has any art ideas or knows someone who does please get in-touch with him on the ePlaya tread below.
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=38964

I have not gotten any kickstarter spam (yet), may there is an opt-out button you can check to get out of the spam..
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
chris2010

Burning Since: 2010

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:37 am

I actually funded two more projects this week. One is MJMs, I'm sort of a permanent soft touch for that, and one that's not even a burningman project, but I liked it because it plays into my fascination for miniature buildings.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby chris2010 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:45 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I actually funded two more projects this week. One is MJMs, I'm sort of a permanent soft touch for that, and one that's not even a burningman project, but I liked it because it plays into my fascination for miniature buildings.

Yea, there are few more! I might be helping with with "The Tunnel of Questionable Enlightenment" too... I really love LEDs :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/workinonit/the-tunnel-of-questionable-enlightenment
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
chris2010

Burning Since: 2010

Return to 2010 Art & Performance