This is why I hate religion.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: This is why I hate religion.

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Bob wrote:
TomServo wrote:One crazy christian decides to burn a Quran, in Florida. And, 8,000 miles away, a group of UN workers....NOT soldiers....are killed by a crazy fucking group of Muslims.

I'm a huge supporter of first amendment rights, but I wish this asshole were forced to exercice that right in Afghanistan.

I'm curious how this is relevant to the 'Politics & Philosophy' of Burning Man. Are you vetting a theme camp or art installation?

My camp is BloodBath&Beyond.... get a clue
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby BBadger » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:47 am

TomServo wrote:Are you of military age Jstep? Would you like fanatics endangering your life? From your own country....

What happens when women who don't wear veils offend lunatic clerics in some other country, who threaten our troops? Do we now force all women to wear veils here because because we're so chickenshit scared of people--from our own country no less--offending fanatics abroad "needlessly"?

In all honesty, I'd more concerned about the fanatics at home who endanger my constitutional rights. At least with the fanatics abroad I can shoot them when they come for me, rather than those at home who would destroy the fundamental foundations of the country I call home. Interestingly enough, the right to bear arms is one of the guarantors of such rights.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby JohnPaulQuilliard » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:20 am

You know why I hate religion, they are a bunch of hippocrates. They claim to be one thing and then when you go there they SPIT in your face, metaphorically speaking.

And this goes for any Organization that touts a doctrine that they do not live by.

Like one time God came to me, right, old story. So I have this stupid message to deliver which was "Love, and you get a second chance." That was the whole fucking message, and all these ass-clowns get together and fuck with me. "There is no rabbi here!" One shit hole screamed, then another says "When is the date for destruction!" and I say "The message is about Love, and we get a second chance." So they kick my ass out. Then I go to my mother how is supposed to be religious and she says I have a brain tumor. And of course kicks my ass out. Then I go to a FUCKING CATHOLIC CHURCH and they have this guy nailed to the cross and everything. And they COMMITTED ME.

So I get stuck in this shitty fuck hole with a Dr. Ismail that says "You are not making sense." And the Simon of the Playa or some other Ass-Clown posts it, and it is exactly what he said. AND THIS PLACE SPIT ON ME! From minute one actually.

So I pray to God to strike the guy that did it dead with lightening and low and behold lightening strike a guy from the same church. I have two witnesses and the newspaper article. And nobody cares. I have not heard of someone predicting a lightening strike before. But no one seemed to care.

That is why I hate your fucked up twisted doctrines of control. They preach one thing then do another.

Like here is a bad Satan joke. Anti M what is she so anti? Music? No, that is at Burning Man, what about Mustard? Is she anti mustard? What about Michael? That makes sense the Anti-Michael well that would be Satan right?

This world has to many Satan's in it and not enough human beings.

That is why I hate religion. They all lie. Even the Art of it.

Funny too, the one I thought I was at first is the one I am. I bring the light from the dark. Morning Star. Then I read the FUCKED BIBLE today, I got in an argument with someone that I didn't remember the end, that I didn't think the world blew up. And so I am reading it and there it is Jesus's angel is Morning Star.

I really dislike you all that played this game with me.

So question, how many of you have had God send you any signs at all? Even one. I have never met anyone but me. And I am the freak.

So this is where I stand. Pick a Messiah any Messiah I don't care and follow him/her. Follow your sex cult Messiah or your Messiah of the dollar, or follow yourself. Follow Simon of the Playa, I don't care. I just had a message to deliver, that was all. Never wanted to be the Messiah.

Just don't follow me. Followers just stand on your coat tails and hold you back.

Just wanted to fill you in. I am out of here. I have some reports to file about what was posted by user "Dr. Ismail" HE BROKE HIPPA LAWS. That is a federal offence

Enjoy your party on the playa. By the way the playa is fish poop, for real. You party on fish poop, for real.

I am out of here.

Rats Gninrom (Did I spell it right for you?)
Yes it is really me.
JohnPaulQuilliard

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:36 am

JohnPaulQuilliard wrote:You know why I hate religion, they are a bunch of hippocrates.

"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Bluemandrew » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:59 am

So let's make it relevant.

Suppose in the name of free speech, I decide to burn a Koran on the playa this year. A big one (since it's Burning Man, and we like to overdo it anyways, maybe an important antique one.). I decide to light it on fire in some sort of expensive way, so I make a kickstarter page and advertise it on Facebook etc...People know it's going to happen.

How does this play out in the land of "radical self expression"? Personally, I don't think anyone would really have a legitimate excuse to stop it from proceeding.

Good idea? I don't know. It certainly has its merits though. Free speech isn't something we should be ready to give up on lightly, even if it means defending the rights of people we can't stand.

The blame for any murders rests clearly on the people who did the murdering though. You don't blame the victims family for murder when they can't pay ransom and the hostage dies.
Bluemandrew

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:03 am

Bluemandrew wrote:So let's make it relevant.

Suppose in the name of free speech, I decide to burn a Koran on the playa this year. A big one (since it's Burning Man, and we like to overdo it anyways, maybe an important antique one.). I decide to light it on fire in some sort of expensive way, so I make a kickstarter page and advertise it on Facebook etc...People know it's going to happen.

How does this play out in the land of "radical self expression"? Personally, I don't think anyone would really have a legitimate excuse to stop it from proceeding.

Good idea? I don't know. It certainly has its merits though. Free speech isn't something we should be ready to give up on lightly, even if it means defending the rights of people we can't stand.

The blame for any murders rests clearly on the people who did the murdering though. You don't blame the victims family for murder when they can't pay ransom and the hostage dies.

any excuse to use your thermite..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bluemandrew » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:13 am

ygmir wrote:any excuse to use your thermite..........

Stop it, you're just trying to encourage me....I swear it's hypothetical.

Besides, I camp with Barbie Death Camp, and you know we would never do anything controversial...
Bluemandrew

Postby jkisha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:26 am

Bluemandrew wrote:
ygmir wrote:any excuse to use your thermite..........

Stop it, you're just trying to encourage me....I swear it's hypothetical.

Besides, I camp with Barbie Death Camp, and you know we would never do anything controversial...

That's a perfect example. The Holocaust is one of those sacred cows, but you don't see the Jews at burning man going around rioting and killing people over it. I'm telling the Simon Wiesenthal Center on you!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Bluemandrew » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 am

jkisha wrote:
Bluemandrew wrote:
That's a perfect example. The Holocaust is one of those sacred cows, but you don't see the Jews at burning man going around rioting and killing people over it. I'm telling the Simon Wiesenthal Center on you!

Kind of why I mentioned it.

At Burning Man, pissing people off on purpose is a past time for a lot of people. There are entire camps dedicated to it. Are they responsible for a drunk guy who gets pissed off at them and takes it out on his girlfriend?
Bluemandrew

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:41 am

i love Lamp.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby jkisha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:43 am

Isotopia wrote:The annual Draw Mohammed Day is coming up pretty soon. In fact, I think it's (seriously) one day before the May 15th Armageddon Day that all these wacky Xians are quacking about.

Annual? I thought it caused such a big stir the first time 'round it would never be brought back.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:48 am

so I could know?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 am

no, Really, i LOVE lamp...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:56 am

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 am

It's politics, IMHO, not religion.
Religion is groups of people agreeing on an explanation for the mysteries of life and dedicating themselves to celebrating it through myth and ritual.

Politics is someone telling them that because they believe a particular way, then they should unite under him and riot or stone someone to death drink Kool-Aid. Just for his little power trip.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby JStep » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:44 am

TomServo wrote:Are you of military age Jstep? Would you like fanatics endangering your life? From your own country....

Again, not germane to the questions at hand, but to answer you, Yes and No. I'm 37, come from a Air Force family, am not in the military nor have I ever been, and no I would not want anyone endangering my life. However, the idiot in FL was not directly endangering anyone's life. He was burning a book. The people who killed people are directly responsible, not the tool who burned a book.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby TomServo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:20 pm

JStep wrote:

Again, not germane to the questions at hand, but to answer you, Yes and No. I'm 37, come from a Air Force family, am not in the military nor have I ever been, and no I would not want anyone endangering my life. However, the idiot in FL was not directly endangering anyone's life. He was burning a book. The people who killed people are directly responsible, not the tool who burned a book.

no he's not...but he did indirectly cause the deaths of others. We cant punish the ones who did it, and I doubt their governments would either. Maybe its the fucking moustache that really pisses me off.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:29 pm

The Military: Lunatics in charge of endangering the lives of young people. :P
Ugly Dougly

Postby JStep » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm

TomServo wrote:
JStep wrote:

no he's not...but he did indirectly cause the deaths of others. We cant punish the ones who did it, and I doubt their governments would either. Maybe its the fucking moustache that really pisses me off.

LOL, well we can't start drawing the blame further and further out to include this guy as being indirectly guilty. By that logic the Beatles would have been guilty for inspiring the Manson Family killings.

In fact, that makes an interesting study of the situation. In the case of Charles Manson, he is still in prison and likely always will be, although he didn't kill anyone. But, he WAS directly involved in the crimes committed. He blames The Beatles, but we all know that even if they'd been warned they would not have been thought guilty of the Manson murders. That's a good analogy to illustrate where the line is drawn. Without direct culpability, no legal standard allows for prosecution. Nor should it. If we were to start allowing such a standard to exist, it's a steep slide into totalitarian control of speech. Any one of us who has ever posted anything online venturing a supporting opinion of anything could possibly be charged with an indirect connection to the crimes of a third party should there be any similarity in worldview or speech.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Postby jkisha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:52 pm

TomServo wrote: Maybe its the fucking moustache that really pisses me off.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I have no problem throwing him in jail for that mustache.
JK
jkisha

Postby BBadger » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:15 pm

JStep wrote:Without direct culpability, no legal standard allows for prosecution. Nor should it. If we were to start allowing such a standard to exist, it's a steep slide into totalitarian control of speech. Any one of us who has ever posted anything online venturing a supporting opinion of anything could possibly be charged with an indirect connection to the crimes of a third party should there be any similarity in worldview or speech.

This is what says it all.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Isotopia » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:17 pm

I can get on board with that assessment. Still, I think most thinking individuals might agree that the man - a Man of God - is guilty of both moral and spiritual cowardice for his inability to bridle his contemptible, self-serving need to express his sense of religious supremacy.

The man is a pig. And yes, I'd like to use his mustache to give my ass a nice scrubbing.
Isotopia

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 am

Bluemandrew wrote:At Burning Man, pissing people off on purpose is a past time for a lot of people. There are entire camps dedicated to it. Are they responsible for a drunk guy who gets pissed off at them and takes it out on his girlfriend?

Did you try asking the girlfriend?

I know! Let's all burn the Tao Te Ch'ing! Damn, that'll show them!

The Tao doesn't take sides;
it gives birth to both good and evil.
The Master doesn't take sides;
she welcomes both saints and sinners.

The Tao is like a bellows:
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
The more you use it, the more it produces;
the more you talk of it, the less you understand.

Hold on to the center.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 am

One would expect a little more circumspection and consideration from a man of the cloth, but then again, these are the molester priests and the inquisitors.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Rex Russell » Wed May 11, 2011 9:31 am

Only a fool can underestimate the power of God. While I am a fool, I'm not that bad of a fool.
Rex Russell

Postby Isotopia » Wed May 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Only a fool can underestimate the power of God

Obviously written by someone who believes in the Big Imaginary Super Hero Friend In the Sky.
Isotopia

Postby ygmir » Wed May 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Isotopia wrote:
Only a fool can underestimate the power of God

Obviously written by someone who believes in the Big Imaginary Super Hero Friend In the Sky.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKss2pBYQ6Y[/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed May 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:The Military: Lunatics in charge of endangering the lives of young people. :P

Ugly, it's more like a wasteful, bloated, incompetent, for-profit, big business like medicine and education. It might be different elsewhere or at different times.

I have a copy of the Tao, but I also might not.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed May 11, 2011 1:57 pm

BBadger wrote:
JStep wrote:Without direct culpability, no legal standard allows for prosecution. Nor should it. If we were to start allowing such a standard to exist, it's a steep slide into totalitarian control of speech. Any one of us who has ever posted anything online venturing a supporting opinion of anything could possibly be charged with an indirect connection to the crimes of a third party should there be any similarity in worldview or speech.

This is what says it all.

Yea, pretty much. I don't think "one size fits all" solutions work and lean toward making decions on a case by case basis.

He was an idiot for burning a Koran and the other people were idiots for killing people because of it. Maybe they should have killed people in the church who either burned Korans or were firm supporters.

Inciting a riot, hate speech and freedom of speech and self expression have some pretty gnarly grey areas.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy