This is why I hate religion.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby goathead » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:39 pm

TomServo wrote:
goathead wrote:
TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote:wondering, if it's not ok to offend islam, why is it ok to offend christians?


Prolly, cause most of the time, the christians do hurt you.


no...for the most part, christians are pussies..and you get to see them everyday.


so I have to ask tom, why provoke them? just because they are easy targets and don't fight back?


Because it's fun, I know how to change a tail light and I'd beat their ass if they wanted to get physical.


so basically your not much different then the preacher in florida?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
User avatar
goathead
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Where I live is not far from home.

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:43 pm

goathead wrote:
TomServo wrote:
goathead wrote:
TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote:wondering, if it's not ok to offend islam, why is it ok to offend christians?


Prolly, cause most of the time, the christians do hurt you.


no...for the most part, christians are pussies..and you get to see them everyday.


so I have to ask tom, why provoke them? just because they are easy targets and don't fight back?


Because it's fun, I know how to change a tail light and I'd beat their ass if they wanted to get physical.


so basically your not much different then the preacher in florida?


Im very much different! If I knew what I said would get someone killed, I'd keep my mouth shut
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby goathead » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:53 pm

TomServo wrote:
goathead wrote:
TomServo wrote:
goathead wrote:
TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote:wondering, if it's not ok to offend islam, why is it ok to offend christians?


Prolly, cause most of the time, the christians do hurt you.


no...for the most part, christians are pussies..and you get to see them everyday.


so I have to ask tom, why provoke them? just because they are easy targets and don't fight back?


Because it's fun, I know how to change a tail light and I'd beat their ass if they wanted to get physical.


so basically your not much different then the preacher in florida?


Im very much different! If I knew what I said would get someone killed, I'd keep my mouth shut


and you don't think people get killed in fights, getting their asses beat?
are you just cruising just looking for someone to get physical?

always fun till someone dies
not
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
User avatar
goathead
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Where I live is not far from home.

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm

so, if someone, somewhere says:
"I'm gonna hurt/kill others, if you say or do this certain thing",
you'd be in favor of not doing it?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Trishntek » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Granted, there are sects of ALL religions who claim exclusivity to the ONE TRUE WAY to ever lasting life. There are an extremely small number of "sects" within each that provoke and force system of human interaction in their own image. There is an even smaller group within certain "sects" that are willing to kill and be killed with the promise of rewards in heaven/paradise/celestial kingdom.

Disrespect of any kind is unacceptable. Committing murder in response to being disrespected is HEINOUS! Is that not the way of inner-city gang? "Respect me or else!"

Strange thing is,,, whether you are agnostic, atheist, jew, christian, hindu, pagan, buddhist, wiccan or hug a tree, fundamental extreme islamic religions raise their young to believe YOU must be converted, enslaved, or killed. And they are willing to do whatever it takes to achieve that goal.

So Tom, for the mere fact you hate religion in general does not make you any less conspicuous than anyone else. As-far-as the bible thumper goes,,, a fucking idiot is what he is.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 pm

ygmir wrote:so, if someone, somewhere says:
"I'm gonna hurt/kill others, if you say or do this certain thing",
you'd be in favor of not doing it?


I will defend myself...maybe even torture them...but never kill them! AND, as a thinking American, I would NEVER do anything to endanger my own troops! Remember this?

Image
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:17 pm

TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:so, if someone, somewhere says:
"I'm gonna hurt/kill others, if you say or do this certain thing",
you'd be in favor of not doing it?


I will defend myself...maybe even torture them...but never kill them!

seems just semantics, then, defend can easily include deadly force.
and, torture......very open subject there......some may infer, if you've gone that far, murder is no worse.



AND, as a thinking American, I would NEVER do anything to endanger my own troops! Remember this?

Image

I think that was aimed at "secrets" or, talking/telling about troop movements and such. Civilians had at times, info that could help the enemy know plans, tactics, or equipment.

I'd submit, the troops are there (wherever there is), at least in part, to protect the preachers right to burn said religious documents.

again:
you tag the perpetrators, harshly, and every time.
but, you don't change your way of life, just because they say to, with treats and violence.

I gotta say, Tom, you're doing a great job here, having to discuss this with several folks at once.
I'm going to step out, so you can continue and focus.
if you want, I'll come back and discuss our part, when it can be more leisurely.



YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 pm

ygmir wrote:AND, as a thinking American, I would NEVER do anything to endanger my own troops! Remember this?


OK then!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:27 pm

TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:AND, as a thinking American, I would NEVER do anything to endanger my own troops! Remember this?


OK then!


I didn't write that in the quote.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 pm

I know! do you support our troops?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm

TomServo wrote:I know! do you support our troops?


yes
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Blblblblblbl
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Ok then. I win.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby JStep » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:54 pm

This doesn't seem like it should be so controversial. I can hate the guy who provokes the crazy, but it's still his right to say/write/express what he wants if it doesn't lead *directly* to harm to others. Fire in a crowded theater arguments don't apply, in that situation it's the message itself that leads to harm. To get real philosophical, when we let them dictate to us what we can say or do, then "the terrorists have won" as the cliche goes. I hate the Fred Phelps morons too, but it's their right to say stupid shit. The folks who want to move their Islamic center in NYC that just happens to be 10 blocks from ground zero? They are within their rights too. The guy in FL was stupid, unwise, rash and a total tool. But, that doesn't mean I have the right to take his rights away simply because I hold those opinions.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
User avatar
JStep
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Burning Since: 2011

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:57 pm

TomServo wrote:Blblblblblbl
Ok then. I win.


you've lost me...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:01 pm

JStep wrote:This doesn't seem like it should be so controversial. I can hate the guy who provokes the crazy, but it's still his right to say/write/express what he wants if it doesn't lead *directly* to harm to others. Fire in a crowded theater arguments don't apply, in that situation it's the message itself that leads to harm. To get real philosophical, when we let them dictate to us what we can say or do, then "the terrorists have won" as the cliche goes. I hate the Fred Phelps morons too, but it's their right to say stupid shit. The folks who want to move their Islamic center in NYC that just happens to be 10 blocks from ground zero? They are within their rights too. The guy in FL was stupid, unwise, rash and a total tool. But, that doesn't mean I have the right to take his rights away simply because I hold those opinions.



And that's fine as long as we know people won't get killed for it! The crowded theater example is perfect for this. WE CANNOT CONTROL THE RULES OF OTHER COUNTRIES! Our freedoms are ours...our sons and daughters over their, are not under our protection! Including civilians trying to help. Fuck the first amendment as long as it keeps them safe!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby BBadger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 pm

TomServo wrote:i'D GLADLY FORSAKE MY FREEDOMS IF IT SAVED A HUMAN LIFE. WHAT ABOUT YOU?


No I would not. Where does it end? Do we cave in to the demands of every thug in world who threatens the life of another?

I will not negotiate with such enemies of humanity, nor will I encourage such behavior by capitulating to their demands.

goathead wrote:
TomServo wrote:sure, blame the media...but, they didn't burn that stupid book. Like I said, abolish all media except the Onion!


why not blame the ones who are committing these acts?


Because that would make too much sense wouldn't it? It's so much easier to blame society, religion, the media, etc. Never mind that people can make choices for themselves.

I thought humans were sentient beings? Maybe I was wrong. Or perhaps those who are so willing to forsake their rights are precisely the kind of people who hold their human responsibility in such low regard that they do not deserve such rights. Perhaps we should have an underclass of those who would rather be slaves to oppression, who are not willing to fight for ideals that make humanity as a whole better, who would give up essential freedoms for "safety" under the guise of beneficence.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3959
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:09 pm

ygmir wrote:
TomServo wrote:Blblblblblbl
Ok then. I win.


you've lost me...........




Damned double post
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:19 pm

goathead wrote:but then think of the work "Piss Christ" "Dung Madonna"

weren't their works meant to inflame?

I don't know about Serrano, or whatever his name is, but there are people to whom piss is pretty close to, if not actually, a sacred fluid. And the man was running around healing [s]leopards[/s] lepers, hanging out with prostitutes and tax collectors. I don't think a little piss would hurt him. (not that he existed, but that's a different conversation.) And even then, considering the miracle of transubstantiation maybe it's not even piss as we understand it. Sure it was provocative, deliberately so, but there's places to go with it...
And the African artist with the elephant pooh, well, apparently he uses it in all his work, as a way of connecting with his roots. There's that hat company that advertises that one of its straw hats was eaten by an elephant, crapped out, in fine condition to be worn again. And there's always
the green company that sells elephant poo paper.

And those Danish cartoonists were commissioned by a right-wing paper exactly to piss off muslims. And if you've ever seen them, they were about as insightful as those charming german anti-jewish cartoons of the 30s and 40s.

Edited to add: And many, many people find all sorts of burningman related art offensive.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37404
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Tom
It was a horrible, stupid, self-aggrandizing act, designed solely to feed the public image and ego of one man, and his followers. I think he showed how good an american (and christian, for that matter) in his blatant disregard for the lives of others. And yes, you wouldn't do that.

It is the heinous acts of expression that are our constitutional tests, because it's easy when it's speech that everybody or almost everybody agrees with. 50 years ago talking about equality for women or GTLB wasn't on the table and now they are widely (but not universally) regarded as good things. I don't think that his actions will ever turn out to be wise or revolutionary, but we cannot know with certainty what despised ideas will turn out to be solid ones.

So, I understand how his actions tear at your heart. I just think that in this case the right thing is also the hard thing. And I'd certainly support any wrongful death suits brought against that asshole.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37404
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby JStep » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 pm

TomServo wrote:
JStep wrote:This doesn't seem like it should be so controversial. I can hate the guy who provokes the crazy, but it's still his right to say/write/express what he wants if it doesn't lead *directly* to harm to others. Fire in a crowded theater arguments don't apply, in that situation it's the message itself that leads to harm. To get real philosophical, when we let them dictate to us what we can say or do, then "the terrorists have won" as the cliche goes. I hate the Fred Phelps morons too, but it's their right to say stupid shit. The folks who want to move their Islamic center in NYC that just happens to be 10 blocks from ground zero? They are within their rights too. The guy in FL was stupid, unwise, rash and a total tool. But, that doesn't mean I have the right to take his rights away simply because I hold those opinions.



And that's fine as long as we know people won't get killed for it! The crowded theater example is perfect for this. WE CANNOT CONTROL THE RULES OF OTHER COUNTRIES! Our freedoms are ours...our sons and daughters over their, are not under our protection! Including civilians trying to help. Fuck the first amendment as long as it keeps them safe!


We don't "know" people will get killed for it, nor should we need to control the rules of other countries. The crowded theater argument doesn't apply to this situation. Fire in a crowded theater is the act of providing deliberately false information for the purpose of inciting panic and chaos. Burning a book is a symbolic act that doesn't lead directly to prescribed actions by any reasonable person. (To head off the "but they're not reasonable" rebuttal, it doesn't matter. You cannot possibly tailor all speech to avoid the possible reactions of the insane.)

And finally, the fact that our people are over there, where our society cannot protect them, also doesn't affect the situation. Their being there is a result of our society putting them there, knowing full well the disposition of some of the inhabitants and their propensity to kill our folks over simple things like a crazy dude in FL burning their book.

Your argument that you would forgo your 1st amendment rights to save the lives of others is commendable and your choice is probably wise. But, it's still your right not to. If the right becomes revocable based on indirect circumstances or suspended because of the possible actions of other, insane, people then its not inalienable and therefor meaningless.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
User avatar
JStep
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Burning Since: 2011

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 pm

JStep wrote:
TomServo wrote:
JStep wrote:This doesn't seem like it should be so controversial. I can hate the guy who provokes the crazy, but it's still his right to say/write/express what he wants if it doesn't lead *directly* to harm to others. Fire in a crowded theater arguments don't apply, in that situation it's the message itself that leads to harm. To get real philosophical, when we let them dictate to us what we can say or do, then "the terrorists have won" as the cliche goes. I hate the Fred Phelps morons too, but it's their right to say stupid shit. The folks who want to move their Islamic center in NYC that just happens to be 10 blocks from ground zero? They are within their rights too. The guy in FL was stupid, unwise, rash and a total tool. But, that doesn't mean I have the right to take his rights away simply because I hold those opinions.



And that's fine as long as we know people won't get killed for it! The crowded theater example is perfect for this. WE CANNOT CONTROL THE RULES OF OTHER COUNTRIES! Our freedoms are ours...our sons and daughters over their, are not under our protection! Including civilians trying to help. Fuck the first amendment as long as it keeps them safe!


We don't "know" people will get killed for it, nor should we need to control the rules of other countries. The crowded theater argument doesn't apply to this situation. Fire in a crowded theater is the act of providing deliberately false information for the purpose of inciting panic and chaos. Burning a book is a symbolic act that doesn't lead directly to prescribed actions by any reasonable person. (To head off the "but they're not reasonable" rebuttal, it doesn't matter. You cannot possibly tailor all speech to avoid the possible reactions of the insane.)

And finally, the fact that our people are over there, where our society cannot protect them, also doesn't affect the situation. Their being there is a result of our society putting them there, knowing full well the disposition of some of the inhabitants and their propensity to kill our folks over simple things like a crazy dude in FL burning their book.

Your argument that you would forgo your 1st amendment rights to save the lives of others is commendable and your choice is probably wise. But, it's still your right not to. If the right becomes revocable based on indirect circumstances or suspended because of the possible actions of other, insane, people then its not inalienable and therefor meaningless.



Is human life worth our freedom to piss off people... Read Johnny Got his Gun By Dalton Trumbo. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWyXKT5qt4[/youtube]
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby JStep » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 pm

TomServo wrote:
JStep wrote:
TomServo wrote:
JStep wrote:This doesn't seem like it should be so controversial. I can hate the guy who provokes the crazy, but it's still his right to say/write/express what he wants if it doesn't lead *directly* to harm to others. Fire in a crowded theater arguments don't apply, in that situation it's the message itself that leads to harm. To get real philosophical, when we let them dictate to us what we can say or do, then "the terrorists have won" as the cliche goes. I hate the Fred Phelps morons too, but it's their right to say stupid shit. The folks who want to move their Islamic center in NYC that just happens to be 10 blocks from ground zero? They are within their rights too. The guy in FL was stupid, unwise, rash and a total tool. But, that doesn't mean I have the right to take his rights away simply because I hold those opinions.



And that's fine as long as we know people won't get killed for it! The crowded theater example is perfect for this. WE CANNOT CONTROL THE RULES OF OTHER COUNTRIES! Our freedoms are ours...our sons and daughters over their, are not under our protection! Including civilians trying to help. Fuck the first amendment as long as it keeps them safe!


We don't "know" people will get killed for it, nor should we need to control the rules of other countries. The crowded theater argument doesn't apply to this situation. Fire in a crowded theater is the act of providing deliberately false information for the purpose of inciting panic and chaos. Burning a book is a symbolic act that doesn't lead directly to prescribed actions by any reasonable person. (To head off the "but they're not reasonable" rebuttal, it doesn't matter. You cannot possibly tailor all speech to avoid the possible reactions of the insane.)

And finally, the fact that our people are over there, where our society cannot protect them, also doesn't affect the situation. Their being there is a result of our society putting them there, knowing full well the disposition of some of the inhabitants and their propensity to kill our folks over simple things like a crazy dude in FL burning their book.

Your argument that you would forgo your 1st amendment rights to save the lives of others is commendable and your choice is probably wise. But, it's still your right not to. If the right becomes revocable based on indirect circumstances or suspended because of the possible actions of other, insane, people then its not inalienable and therefor meaningless.



Is human life worth our freedom to piss off people...


This question is irrelevant. It poses a situation that doesn't exist. It's like you're imagining that there's a guy holding a gun to someone's head and asking you to tell him what color his shirt is and he'll shoot if you answer wrong. In that case your answer is directly related to the harm that may come to the victim. You're playing a direct role in what happens. This is not analogous to the situation at hand. The situation at hand is more akin to you hearing a rumor that if you don't wear a green shirt on Tuesday then some maniac somewhere is probably going to find out and kill someone. Whether you wear a green shirt or not, and whether said maniac does or does not kill anyone has nothing to do with you and your choice of shirt color. Your disrespect to the green shirt on Tuesday cult, pissing them off and causing them to kill people, is not in any way your fault nor should you be forced to wear green shirts on Tuesdays.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
User avatar
JStep
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Burning Since: 2011

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 pm

JStep wrote:
TomServo wrote:
JStep wrote:
TomServo wrote:
JStep wrote:This doesn't seem like it should be so controversial. I can hate the guy who provokes the crazy, but it's still his right to say/write/express what he wants if it doesn't lead *directly* to harm to others. Fire in a crowded theater arguments don't apply, in that situation it's the message itself that leads to harm. To get real philosophical, when we let them dictate to us what we can say or do, then "the terrorists have won" as the cliche goes. I hate the Fred Phelps morons too, but it's their right to say stupid shit. The folks who want to move their Islamic center in NYC that just happens to be 10 blocks from ground zero? They are within their rights too. The guy in FL was stupid, unwise, rash and a total tool. But, that doesn't mean I have the right to take his rights away simply because I hold those opinions.


no, he knew people could die...the government warned him last year. He's a prick! and so are the crazy fucks that killed the UN workers!


And that's fine as long as we know people won't get killed for it! The crowded theater example is perfect for this. WE CANNOT CONTROL THE RULES OF OTHER COUNTRIES! Our freedoms are ours...our sons and daughters over their, are not under our protection! Including civilians trying to help. Fuck the first amendment as long as it keeps them safe!


We don't "know" people will get killed for it, nor should we need to control the rules of other countries. The crowded theater argument doesn't apply to this situation. Fire in a crowded theater is the act of providing deliberately false information for the purpose of inciting panic and chaos. Burning a book is a symbolic act that doesn't lead directly to prescribed actions by any reasonable person. (To head off the "but they're not reasonable" rebuttal, it doesn't matter. You cannot possibly tailor all speech to avoid the possible reactions of the insane.)

And finally, the fact that our people are over there, where our society cannot protect them, also doesn't affect the situation. Their being there is a result of our society putting them there, knowing full well the disposition of some of the inhabitants and their propensity to kill our folks over simple things like a crazy dude in FL burning their book.

Your argument that you would forgo your 1st amendment rights to save the lives of others is commendable and your choice is probably wise. But, it's still your right not to. If the right becomes revocable based on indirect circumstances or suspended because of the possible actions of other, insane, people then its not inalienable and therefor meaningless.



Is human life worth our freedom to piss off people...


This question is irrelevant. It poses a situation that doesn't exist. It's like you're imagining that there's a guy holding a gun to someone's head and asking you to tell him what color his shirt is and he'll shoot if you answer wrong. In that case your answer is directly related to the harm that may come to the victim. You're playing a direct role in what happens. This is not analogous to the situation at hand. The situation at hand is more akin to you hearing a rumor that if you don't wear a green shirt on Tuesday then some maniac somewhere is probably going to find out and kill someone. Whether you wear a green shirt or not, and whether said maniac does or does not kill anyone has nothing to do with you and your choice of shirt color. Your disrespect to the green shirt on Tuesday cult, pissing them off and causing them to kill people, is not in any way your fault nor should you be forced to wear green shirts on Tuesdays.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 pm

Are you of military age Jstep? Would you like fanatics endangering your life? From your own country....
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Fuck it I'm right and anyone who disagrees with me is a commie, nazi,tea bagger!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby jkisha » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:55 pm

TomServo wrote:Fuck it I'm right and anyone who disagrees with me is a commie, nazi,tea bagger!


LOL :D
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby jkisha » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 pm

TomServo wrote:Are you of military age Jstep? Would you like fanatics endangering your life? From your own country....


And that should matter why? His argument in rebuttal to your posts is spot on.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Isotopia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 pm

The annual Draw Mohammed Day is coming up pretty soon. In fact, I think it's (seriously) one day before the May 15th Armageddon Day that all these wacky Xians are quacking about.
User avatar
Isotopia
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:26 am

Re: This is why I hate religion.

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 pm

TomServo wrote:One crazy christian decides to burn a Quran, in Florida. And, 8,000 miles away, a group of UN workers....NOT soldiers....are killed by a crazy fucking group of Muslims.

I'm a huge supporter of first amendment rights, but I wish this asshole were forced to exercice that right in Afghanistan.


I'm curious how this is relevant to the 'Politics & Philosophy' of Burning Man. Are you vetting a theme camp or art installation?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests