Headlamps

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Headlamps

Postby Gardenfaerie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:08 pm

I am looking to buy a headlamp and have found a wide difference in price of the units. The prices range from a few dollars to an average high of about $35. I wonder if the more expensive one are really worth the cost or if I can get by with a mid range priced unit. I also found solar powered units but they are cost prohibitive to me, starting at $50.

Suggestions? 8)
"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
Mark Twain
Gardenfaerie

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:13 pm

I wear a $3 led flashlight on a leather shoelace around my neck.

It does'nt shine in peoples eyes, lights the ground where I'm walking, and is handy for shining where I need it. :)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby geospyder » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Headlamps are great for hands free walking but are blinding to the "other" person when talking to them.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Your crazy if you pay $35 for a head lamp.. $15 should cover the best you can get.. I have a vintage one from the 1950s.. Straps on the head with a battery pack on the belt.. Four D cell.. Should last a whole 15 mins.

I like to use a H lamp when go stuff inside the van/tent at night.. Hands free and it's not shining in your eyes..
unjonharley

Postby AntiM » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:57 pm

I wrap my headlamp around my wrist, like a corsage. The blinding bit is annoying, on your wrist you can switch between ground and up higher. I hate the light above my eyes.

Some searching on ebay yielded inexpensive Cyclops, which I really enjoy.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:10 pm

AntiM wrote:I wrap my headlamp around my wrist, like a corsage. The blinding bit is annoying, on your wrist you can switch between ground and up higher. I hate the light above my eyes.

Great tip on placing the lamp Antie...
unjonharley

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:39 pm

unjonharley wrote:
AntiM wrote:I wrap my headlamp around my wrist, like a corsage. The blinding bit is annoying, on your wrist you can switch between ground and up higher. I hate the light above my eyes.

Great tip on placing the lamp Antie...

If I'm out riding, I have mine on my head but when walking I hang it around my neck pointing down. Lights you up so you don't get run over but doesn't blind people.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:10 pm

I actually, after years and years of burns and camping, bought a headlamp for BM. Then forgot to pack it. Then found it. Still don't use it. I keep something like this

clipped on me. Pretty much only for using a portajohn. Otherwise, there's enough light or I'm in my tent and have my tent light. Round, flat one that looks kinda like a UFO...examine your needs, not what you think you need.
C.f.M.

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:38 pm

C.f.M. wrote:I actually, after years and years of burns and camping, bought a headlamp for BM. Then forgot to pack it. Then found it. Still don't use it. I keep something like this

clipped on me. Pretty much only for using a portajohn. Otherwise, there's enough light or I'm in my tent and have my tent light. Round, flat one that looks kinda like a UFO...examine your needs, not what you think you need.

see, and here I was expecting a cold weather analogy from you........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Trishntek » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:19 am

The only reason I use a head lamp is when I'm doing something major with setup or strike. I just keep the cheap ones from harbor freight in good supply. Their battery box latch breaks easily,,, but nothing a little tape won't fix. My bike has its own lights. I wear EL wire at night and have a MiniLite flashlight with me all the time.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Sail Man » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:22 pm

ygmir wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I actually, after years and years of burns and camping, bought a headlamp for BM. Then forgot to pack it. Then found it. Still don't use it. I keep something like this

see, and here I was expecting a cold weather analogy from you........

Well, when she clips in onto her self she can see as she writes her name in the snow :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:08 pm

I carry one bur rarely use it. It's one I use on my boat and has a red lens to preserve night vision. It throws enough light for me to see by, but doesnt blind others.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby hookahdude » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:30 pm

I am working on a belt buckle lamp...

No blinding people - lights my way - I can see where I pee...

or at least take aim then turn it off as the portapotty's can be rather nightmarish in apperance...
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby BBadger » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Just but a cheapo Chinese headlamp with a tilt mechanism from DealExtreme (like this or this) and project the beam downwards so you don't blind anyone. Mine also had blinky red lights; it looked like the first link's but I don't know if they have it. The tilt will illuminate the area directly in front of you so you don't blind anyone, and you can spend the rest of your money on batteries instead. Bring a flash light just in case too.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Sail Man wrote:I carry one bur rarely use it. It's one I use on my boat and has a red lens to preserve night vision.

In fact, that's the one you're wearing in your avatar.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Weebdog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:51 pm

When you are looking at headlamps, check how many lumens the lamp produces. Usually more lumens (light) the higher the price. LED's are the way to go for weight, battery life and light bulb life.
Weebdog

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Burnout

Postby much2naughty2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Last year was our virgin year. We had very limited time when we needed the light to see where we were going as there seems to be lights everywhere. The biggest reason we found to wear a light was to keep from getting run over.
much2naughty2

Postby Elorrum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:00 pm

I love a headlamp when I'm in camp scooting around, cooking, finding things inside bags. having free hands is great, and sometimes I wonder what I did before I got a head lamp. My favorite light is one I found while walking down the road, and it looked like a broken plastic something or other buried down a bit. I mooped it up. It clips on my hat, and the clip is hinged so the light can be tipped down. I have many many lights, too many, there's always something interesting or so cheap I want to try it... but this stupid road schwag is the one I use most. It's just such a great size, and no strap to fiddle with. I stick it in my pocket and keep it there with my goggles as a I don't want to be caught without sort of item.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Hands are such an issue with me. I have one of those damn duracell lamps that doesn't angle down and has about 7 modes with only one button.

Maybe I should try something else this year...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby teardropper » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 pm

I wear one on my head for riding at night. And try to be real careful about not blinding those I'm talking to. That is irritating. Get one that has some power, at least 1/2 watt. I really like the bright ones for night riding, to see and be seen. Plus my bike is lit up too, with EL wire.

Yeah, I like the head lamps.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:20 am

I have a small string of battery operated LED christmas lights whch are perfect to be worn so I can see in the potties at night.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:02 am

I've found wearing a small-ish headlamp around my neck instead of my head is better for me. It lights the ground and certainly doesn't blind anyone and it's not as annoying as having one on my head.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 am

For your in-tent/camp needs, how about a

bacon lamp?

Bacon lamp
C.f.M.

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 am

Put an incandescent bulb in it and it's a room freshener too!
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:21 am

I bought a new head lamp for this year, got it from ebay. It's some kind of different LED, called Cree. that sucker is bright! Will for sure have to angle it down so it doesn't blind people.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Re: Headlamps

Postby gyre » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:00 am

Gardenfaerie wrote:I am looking to buy a headlamp and have found a wide difference in price of the units. The prices range from a few dollars to an average high of about $35. I wonder if the more expensive one are really worth the cost or if I can get by with a mid range priced unit. I also found solar powered units but they are cost prohibitive to me, starting at $50.

Suggestions? 8)

High of $300 is more like it, for rechargeables.
There are certain features you really need.

You can sometimes get a decent one for ten to twenty though.

As suggested, not a substitute for personal lighting.
gyre

Postby lambert13 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:22 am

I bought one for around $10 at Target. I think it is Energizer brand.

It has two modes, white LED and red LED. It tilts up and down. I use it all the time around the house. When wearing it on my head I can tilt it towards the ground to illuminate where I am walking and it does not shine in other people's eyes at all.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Return to Power & Illumination