Spirituality/Art/A Communittee/Party

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Spirituality/Art/A Communittee/Party

Postby Fireman Jeff » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:36 pm

I have heard Burning Man descripbed as a spiritual experience, art event, a communnittee like in the 60's and even a party. What has been your experience and why?
Fireman Jeff

Postby Fireman Jeff » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:54 pm

I went to Burning Man for the first time, 03'. I was expecting more of the 60's mixed w/ spirituality mixed w/ bizzar mixed w/ the unknown and more art. What I found was a big party. Sure people were nice(not everyone). There seemed to be a plethera of different kinds of people and groups of people. The fact that many folks looked like they spent alot of money on thier outfits. Coupled w/ the sale of coffee in center camp gave me the sence that commercializm was alive and well at burnig man. I pictured the "counter culture" of BM to be free of commercializm? Maybe it was me or the circles I was swinging in? I'd like to hear what others experiences were along these lines?
Fireman Jeff

Postby Jefferson Starship » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:57 pm

Sounds like you went in with too many expectations.
Jefferson Starship

Re: Spirituality/Art/A Communittee/Party

Postby Zane5100 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:06 pm

Fireman Jeff wrote:I have heard Burning Man descripbed as a spiritual experience, art event, a communnittee like in the 60's and even a party. What has been your experience and why?

My experience is that you tend to find what it is you're really looking for, even if you telling yourself something different.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

its a meme war

Postby Fencing man » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:41 pm

Its a volcano of expression and play, tapping a vast subterranean lake
of creativity. Under pressure from the consumer resource strata like granite miles deep; PUSHING it up. Thrusting upwards to realization, looking for a weakness in the crust of civilization, and finding it far out
in a hostile desert nobody really wants. Yet the rigid crust tries to thicken
over the venting magma of ideas, institutions try to regulate it, and law enforcement penalizes it, and the media exaggerates it. Will the volcano
continue to erupt? Has it already subsided? Where will the magma push
forth again? Was that really just a Tylenol I took a half hour ago?
I feel strange. :shock:
Fencing man

Postby blyslv » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:47 pm

Burningman was a chance to work with my hands a little, an chance to create some art and see people interact with it, a place to be as absurd as I wanna be. It was a party, a spiritual experience and a huge pain in the ass. It was a needed re-affirmation of how fabulous I am and how beuatiful everybody could be. It was an enormous disappointment and the most glorious fulfillment of my darkest deepest desires. It let me create my own reality for a week and gave me a glimpse of the possibilities for the other 51.

Which is strange, 'cuz all I really wanted was a Pepsi (tm).
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Flux » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:14 am

Its a volcano of expression and play, tapping a vast subterranean lake of creativity. Under pressure from the consumer resource strata like granite miles deep; PUSHING it up. Thrusting upwards to realization, looking for a weakness in the crust of civilization, and finding it far out in a hostile desert nobody really wants. Yet the rigid crust tries to thicken over the venting magma of ideas, institutions try to regulate it, and law enforcement penalizes it, and the media exaggerates it. Will the volcano continue to erupt? Has it already subsided? Where will the magma push forth again?

Bravo, Fencing Man! Well said. Thanks!
Flux

Re: its a meme war

Postby nymphgonebad » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:47 am

Fencing man wrote:Its a volcano of expression and play, tapping a vast subterranean lake
of creativity. Under pressure from the consumer resource strata like granite miles deep; PUSHING it up. Thrusting upwards to realization, looking for a weakness in the crust of civilization, and finding it far out
in a hostile desert nobody really wants. Yet the rigid crust tries to thicken
over the venting magma of ideas, institutions try to regulate it, and law enforcement penalizes it, and the media exaggerates it. Will the volcano
continue to erupt? Has it already subsided? Where will the magma push
forth again? Was that really just a Tylenol I took a half hour ago?
I feel strange. :shock:

i'll have what he's having, please.

pirates and magma and tylenol, oh my!

i have to post my awful pirate joke again, in case you didn't see it the first time. i profusely appologize to everyone else for posting this atrocity more than once:

why do pirates love fiberglass insulation? because of the high arrrrrrr value.

the princess
nymphgonebad

Return to Politics & Philosophy