Help camps w/bars avoid unknowingly serving minors alcohol

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:02 pm

Savannah wrote:I'm giving thought to carrying my passport to playa bars, if I visit any. It expires in February, and what better way for it to be of service before then? It has been literally good for nothing (in the traditional sense) as I'm not sure I've actually left the country in the last 10 years. No wonder I'm so pathetically excited about the street names being cities of the world. I've been living a cloistered life. Couldn't even persuade anyone to cross the border into Tijuana with me when I was at Comicon last year. Those swine! (I need to see Mexico! Even Fake Mexico!)

This is a wicked idea! Mine expires next july..
oh wait..

I kinda need it to get back over the border into Canada. And I need my driver's liscense to drive.

Do you think people would accept photocopies? I'm sure I would lose it.

That being said, I didn't get carded once last year. And I waited until I was 21 to even go to the burn. (22 now.)
trystanthegypsy

Postby C187 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:09 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:...Do you think people would accept photocopies?...

Legally? Nope.
PlayaBar? Maybe.

---

Sav, what a lovely idea.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Ya, copy your DL and passport. It's better than nothing. That and we're going to make you swear on a Bible you're 21 or older.
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Haha, yeah--International Burners, do not carry your passport to bars on my recommendation! I will not be held responsible for your inability to exit the nation. But join me, you Americans with one due to expire and no imminent international travel plans--join me, in fake worldliness! Let your passport--for one brief moment--truly live.

Oo, you could even put stickers or stamps from other camps in it.

. . . Do this only if you don't think you're not going to use it again, haha. I don't think actual border officials would find it funny that you've been to the Imperial Republic of Grab-Ass, or Captain Spanky's International Haus of Absinthe.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:57 am

How about underaged people serving alcohol? Is that still illegal?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:How about underaged people serving alcohol? Is that still illegal?

I don't know if you're kidding or not, but minors can't serve, either. Now..maybe 18 is the age in some states....or strip bars...I forget.

I plan on taking an old, expired military ID.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby lucky420 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:07 pm

in nevada you do have to be 21 in order to serve alcohol in restaurants, bars or at sporting events.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby ju1ce » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I like the wristband idea. If it works for other festivals, why not BMan?

Also, many states will be more than happy to issue you a duplicate ID for a small fee. I plan on having one to show to bars\LEO if it comes up and one to make sure I can get on the plane come time to leave.
ju1ce

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:23 pm

Oh dear, that makes me wonder about the clusterfcuk at the gate. Are we going to have to get a volunteer department to check those ids? Will they cheat for friends or bribes? Or should we hire some outside firm? How many different ids might we have at any one burn? And if you think those people who like messing with the rules, that bm is filled with, that bm was created from, no, they're not going to cause trouble. And wearing a wrist band for 7 days, or more. Heck leave the playa the day after you arrive, get your wrist band copied in reno, and all your underage friends will be ready to drink anywhere on playa before the event opens! God, I love this ultra tech sociaty.
Can't think of any problems with that idea at all. Or even bemoan it for lack of bar camps taking responcibility for themselves.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm

gotta be 21 or over in Nevada
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm

squishelle wrote:Underage drinking sign for your bar compliments of Weasel at Whiskey and Dust camp, assisted by squishelle.

http://burningvan.org/BM2010/BMUnderageDrinking.pdf

Idea being this will HELP you & your visitors...
post something on the inside of the bar as well, to remind ur bartenders to ASK!

Hey, that was OUR Camp! So you helped with the signs? Thanks. Stop by for a drink at our bar this year. (Void where prohibited, must be over 21 years of age with valid ID).
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby NotANugget » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Barcodes tattooed on the back of the neck at birth would solve this issue... :wink:
You awaken from the fairyland dream
Your eyes have focused on the fan on the ceiling
You realise your a part of the machine
Uptight in Terminal City
Fucked up in Terminal City
NotANugget

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 pm

NotANugget wrote:Barcodes tattooed on the back of the neck at birth would solve this issue... :wink:

No. By the time they were 16 those bar codes would be totally unreadable by scanner due to skin stretch.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby NotANugget » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
NotANugget wrote:Barcodes tattooed on the back of the neck at birth would solve this issue... :wink:

No. By the time they were 16 those bar codes would be totally unreadable by scanner due to skin stretch.

RF chips maybe? :twisted:
You awaken from the fairyland dream
Your eyes have focused on the fan on the ceiling
You realise your a part of the machine
Uptight in Terminal City
Fucked up in Terminal City
NotANugget

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Why not just sever a limb and count the rings?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Sic Pup wrote:Why not just sever a limb and count the rings?

Um...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:06 am

If you want a drink, bring your ID. No skin off my back if you show up, get carded, and have nothing to show for your age. An ID is a small price to pay for some free booze!
BBadger

Postby TomServo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm

cant remember if I asked this before, but are photo copied and laminated IDs legally binding? Would hate to lose my real CDL.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 am

TomServo wrote:cant remember if I asked this before, but are photo copied and laminated IDs legally binding? Would hate to lose my real CDL.

I don't care if they are legally binding, but, will a laminated photocopy pass in BRC?

I am 53 years old, for crying out loud, not too concerned about being denied a drink but I have run too many medevacs to EVER go ANYWHERE without my insurance card and photo ID. Yeah I know EMTALA levels the playing field for emergency transports; but there is sometimes a for-profit option that can do it faster, and when time is tissue... :shock: it's best to be prepared.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Super Evil Brian » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:49 am

MistressSybs wrote:
Bounce530 wrote:As already discussed on another thread, being a middle aged white(ish) male, getting served isn't that likely anyway, no matter conversation/gifts/etc...I supply my own drink

So Burningman bars are just as shitty as the default world's bars are??? Not young, tiny, big titted or cocked and you're left dry no matter what conversation/gifts/etc? So this is an IN crowd thing and the pretty people run the show??? WTF? Good thing I'm beautiful dammit! Oh and bring my own drinks. pffffft! So much for utopia where you're not judged. *insert eyeroll here*

He sounds like one of those people who always has bad service and no fun anywhere for *no reason at all.* Maybe the world is against him.

I'm mean and ugly but I'm always treated well, maybe because I know how to have a good time and I know how to treat people.

I don't get the issue with carding people, especially when people are in costumes and/or the crazy playa environment. maybe this is easier for me to grasp than others, but I always have an ID (and a wallet) with me. If you want to drink at a bar, bring a fucking ID. If you want to get fucked up, don't buy pharma products from people overly offering or selling.

Common sense things ... common sense.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby ConnieH » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:28 am

TomServo wrote:cant remember if I asked this before, but are photo copied and laminated IDs legally binding? Would hate to lose my real CDL.

Not sure if they are available in all states, but here in Idaho you can get a state issued "ID" card just like a driver's license that is a legal form of ID and can be used in place of your driver's license. I wouldn't accept a photocopy of an ID at my bar if you look under 30.

I carded a lot of people at our bar last year - there were lots of kids who had their IDs and happily whipped them out, some didn't and got pissed off when I wouldn't serve them, and one kid openly admitted he was under 21 when asked, he was 2 weeks away from 21, we had a nice chat and he sheepishly left...I wanted to break the rules for him, but he could've been a LEO for all I knew - better safe than sorry.

Wristbands are a good idea and frankly I'm surprised BM hasn't done them before. It's not that big of a hassle, have the people checking tickets also check ID at the same time, that's what we do at our local festivals, it only takes an extra 30 seconds. If you get caught without a wristband, it's up to you to provide proof of your ticket and age.
ConnieH

Postby TomServo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:47 am

ConnieH wrote:

Not sure if they are available in all states, but here in Idaho you can get a state issued "ID" card just like a driver's license that is a legal form of ID and can be used in place of your driver's license. I wouldn't accept a photocopy of an ID at my bar if you look under 30.

I carded a lot of people at our bar last year - there were lots of kids who had their IDs and happily whipped them out, some didn't and got pissed off when I wouldn't serve them, and one kid openly admitted he was under 21 when asked, he was 2 weeks away from 21, we had a nice chat and he sheepishly left...I wanted to break the rules for him, but he could've been a LEO for all I knew - better safe than sorry.

Wristbands are a good idea and frankly I'm surprised BM hasn't done them before. It's not that big of a hassle, have the people checking tickets also check ID at the same time, that's what we do at our local festivals, it only takes an extra 30 seconds. If you get caught without a wristband, it's up to you to provide proof of your ticket and age.

why not? they give wristbands for early arrivals. mine stayed on all week.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby jkisha » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:15 pm

TomServo wrote: why not? they give wristbands for early arrivals. mine stayed on all week.

Ya, what was up with that? I can't believe the girl that put mine on was a bit indignant when I asked about it and she tried to tell me they did it every year and I told her she was full of shit.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Age » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 am

ju1ce wrote:I like the wristband idea. If it works for other festivals, why not BMan?

Also, many states will be more than happy to issue you a duplicate ID for a small fee. I plan on having one to show to bars\LEO if it comes up and one to make sure I can get on the plane come time to leave.

The answer to that is very simple - Legal Liability. If BM were to take on the task of carding and providing wristbands for 21 and up, they would be exposing themselves to partial liability for any incident involving a minor. As it stands today, with BM doing nothing in that regard and theme camps being considered public space, BMorg has no responsibility nor liability in regards to preventing minors from being served alcohol or loitering in bar camps. The liability rests solely with the server.

BM would never want to expose themselves to that kind of risk.

Also as an aside, if BM were to do the wristbands, it would still be the servers' responsibility to ensure each person is 21 or over as required by Nevada law. The wristbands would not alleviate your responsibility or liability in the eyes of the law in any way, it would only open up BMorg to be liable as well. It's really a lose-lose for BM.

Postby ConnieH » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:29 am

Age wrote:Also as an aside, if BM were to do the wristbands, it would still be the servers' responsibility to ensure each person is 21 or over as required by Nevada law. The wristbands would not alleviate your responsibility or liability in the eyes of the law in any way, it would only open up BMorg to be liable as well. It's really a lose-lose for BM.

Good point, especially as I now recall one guy at a regional who didn't have a wristband, I asked him where it was, he said he gave it to a girl...probably a smuggled in underage girl I was thinking...great. Thanks for the reminder.
ConnieH

Previous

Return to 2010 Theme Camps