Lemonade Recipe?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Lemonade Recipe?

Postby Blue Jester » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:07 pm

I am looking for a good recipe for lemonade that does not require boiling water. I plan to gift nice ice cold lemonade, but all the recipes I could find for making large amounts of Lemonade involve boiling alot of water and all I have is a small camp stove. At any rate if you have any family secrets or something you should email me or post here.
Rob the bank, give the money to the poor, then steal from the poor and shoot the money.......or something like that.
Blue Jester

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:44 pm

I believe the reason for boiling (and most of the receipes I've seen have just called for heating not boiling) is to beak down the sugar or honey. Sugar / honey does not disolve well in a cold glass of lemonade.

My suggestion would be to make some "sun" lemonade and just let the sun heat up the lemonade to disolve the sugar / honey once that happens, pour over ice.

You'd also be surprised what you can heat up on a small camp stove. I regularly heat 3-4 gallons of chai on coleman propane stove, it takes forever, but if you're patient, it will heat up (covering it from the wind also helps).

Here are more lemonade receipes that you probably care to ever see. the Brazilian lemonade with condensed milk sounds yummy:

http://allrecipes.com/directory/2712.asp
Chai Guy

Postby Rev. Harry Pants » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:08 pm

Two words: simple syrup. Purchase a ready-made quantity from a bar supply place, -or- make it yourself before trekking out to the playa. It's just equal amounts of sugar & water heated to form, well, syrup. Let cool then store in an ideal container. Vigorously shake or stir lemon juice and simple syrup together, then add ice-cold H2O. Voila! No dissolving issues. Lemon slices add plenty of flava & eye appeal. Lemon pith, while bitter as gall, contains bioflavonoids that help your body use Vitamin C. Lemons are perhaps highest in C of all citrus fruits. Count on me to give you more info than you need. :)
Rev. Harry Pants

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:03 am

ARe you saying that the syrup could be made ahead of time and dissolved on playa?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby sputnik » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:18 am

My recipe is somewhat different from most.

1 cup of sugar
1 cup of lemon juice
1 cup of orange juice
Fill pitcher with ice and water (1/2 gallon)
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby missmann » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:54 am

I have a really good recipe for lemonade, but it's at work right now, and I am not... so this is my memory version of the recipe- I'll double check it and edit this post if necessary.
First, it involves making an infused simple syrup- you can do this ahead of time, before you're on the playa if you don't think your camp stove can handle it.
Take a few litres of water, toss in a couple cinnamon sticks, a few slices of ginger, 2 or 3- 4" pieces of rosemary, a bay leaf or two. Slowly bring it up to a simmer and then add in sugar to taste- it does not have to be equal parts of sugar and water!! I'd err on the sweet side coz you can always water and lemon it down, and remember it is going to taste much sweeter while warm than it will once its cold. Don't let it reduce at all (don't boil the shit out of it), but make sure your sugar is fully dissolved before removing it from the heat. Then just cool it down and keep it cold til you wanna serve up the lemonade.
To serve, mix together approximately 1 part of the infused syrup, 6 parts plain old water (or some parts water and some parts ice, to equal 6 parts) and lemon juice to taste. I'd go with RealLemon or whatever its called, coz the company that makes it juices the whole damn lemon, so you get all the nice lemony flavour from the rind too, and all the benefits of the pith. Yummy! Oh, and you can easily subsitute some vodka for some of the water. You know, coz some people might like it boozy or something... *wink, wink*
missmann

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:04 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:ARe you saying that the syrup could be made ahead of time and dissolved on playa?

When you make it it's an aqueous solution already, stored in bottles or somesuch. If you make your own you can adjust the level of sugar, so if in your at-home trials if it's not sweet enough (or too sweet) you can adjust the syrup to match the lemons.

Used to work across from a lemonade stand at Denio's Fleamarket in Roseville, and have their recipie... (Just don't tell them I gave it out!!)

Take a 32 ounce cup. Fill about 3/4 with ice. Squeeze 2 halfs into the cup. Add equal parts water and simple syrup. For pink lemonade add a dollop of marischino cherry juice. Shake it up (they had these 40-somethng oz plastic cups they used with their 32 oz paper cups as shakers) and viola!

One of their tricks to make it really lemony - get a press-style squeezer. The spinner type (round) works, but the lemon is not as potent and you get more seeds.

Another good recipie...

Take a galss. Put ice in galss. Fill glass halfway with vodka. Test vodka to make sure it tastes good. Recheck vodka, because it's always good to double check. Select lemon. notice glass is less than 1/2 full of vodka, re-top off. Check for taste again (in case vodka in bottle went bad). Cut lemon in half. Put bandage on cut finger. Drink more vodka to kill pain. Throw out bloody lemon half, cut another. Get lemon juice in cut, howl like hell, drink more vodka to supress pain. Squeeze lemon into glass. Scream again because you got more lemon juice in cut in finger. Down lemonade, followed by more vodka to kill bitter taste because you forgot to add sugar. Repeat until unable to continue...

When life gives you lemons, don't forget the vodka...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:10 pm

Okay--if I brought meyer's lemons for gifting--would they be eagerly recieved? My mother has multiple trees and we never use all the fruit. I find them to be a superior lemon, but don't want to have to be a salesman for my gifting on the playa.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby MissNev » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:52 pm

Crypto, feel free to bring all the Meyers Lemons you want to our Bar, The Liver's End. We ALWAYS need lemons. If you are going to be in Reno prior to heading out, I would be happy to pick them up ahead of time!
MissNev

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:21 pm

Cool. I'll just bring them by.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby missmann » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:01 pm

I could've just edited my other post, but this recipe is totally different. So, here it is:
2 c. water
6 c. sugar
4 c. Lemon juice
4 stalks lemongrass, smashed (just use the bottom 5 inches)
8 oz ginger, smashed
3 cinnamon sticks
2 vanilla beans, split and scraped (put everything in)
1 oz rosemary leaves
2 T. Juniper berries, smashed

simmer for approximately 20 minutes. strain and cool.
To serve:
Add above mixture to 22 c. water, 1 oz mint leaves, 1/2 c. maple syrup (real, not maple flavoured shitty syrup).

Yum.
missmann

Postby Blue Jester » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:59 am

Thanks for all the great tips, and keep them coming. I think I will have to incorporate many of these tactics into one refreshing delight. Crypto don't give all those lemons away I would be more than happy to take a few off your hands.
Rob the bank, give the money to the poor, then steal from the poor and shoot the money.......or something like that.
Blue Jester

Lemonade

Postby calsur » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:02 am

Take water and squeeze part of a lemon into it. Shake it up and drink. It is really good for stripping all the junk out of your mouth and leaves your mouth feeling clean.

For my lemonade with sugar is easy. Container, water, sugar. After getting a slightly sweet water add fresh lemon juice to taste.

I really do not understand why people have to complicate a very easy processe.
calsur

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:46 pm

I'll agree with the simple syrup comment. You can also just get a Torani bottle of whatever flavour you wish and just be real careful how you pack and store it in camp. But if you're asking for kick-ass gourmet lemonade recipes, I'm sure you already have that covered :)

I was going to bring a lemon tree and a Grandma's Stocking of fresh strawberries to camp last year and never did, because I ran out of packing room.

Edit: Here's how we made simple syrup in cook school:
Equal parts water and sugar BY WEIGHT. This means that you use, say, a cup of water and a HEAPING CUP of sugar, because sugar is a hygroscopic.
Boil and stir the water and sugar together until the surface is covered with many small bubbles. You're there. Take it off the heat, stop it cooking by immersing the pot in a large bowl of ice water (water with lots of ice cubes in it, not just chilled), and let it cool to room temp, then decant it off into a suitable container, as was mentioned before. For Playa useage I'd decant it to a ziploc bag.

When I made it in school I usually mixed the sugar and water together and let the sugar become completely saturated before I put it on the heat, but that was mostly just an organizational thing. I did something else pertaining to the operation while waiting for the sugar to hydrate; it generally only takes a couple minutes.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby stephenpolicia234 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:53 am

Main favorite Lemon Sponge Pie Recipe

2 egg yolks,
1 cup milk,
1 cup sugar,
3 tablespoons flour,
1/2 teaspoon salt,
1 tablespoon melted shortening,
2 egg whites.
stephenpolicia234

Postby graidawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:01 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:

Another good recipie...

Take a galss. Put ice in galss. Fill glass halfway with vodka. Test vodka to make sure it tastes good. Recheck vodka, because it's always good to double check. Select lemon. notice glass is less than 1/2 full of vodka, re-top off. Check for taste again (in case vodka in bottle went bad). Cut lemon in half. Put bandage on cut finger. Drink more vodka to kill pain. Throw out bloody lemon half, cut another. Get lemon juice in cut, howl like hell, drink more vodka to supress pain. Squeeze lemon into glass. Scream again because you got more lemon juice in cut in finger. Down lemonade, followed by more vodka to kill bitter taste because you forgot to add sugar. Repeat until unable to continue...

i TESTED THIS ONE now i cant work becauase i got confused and thought i had to cut my finger everytime. the blood does make it an interesting pink lemonade though.
i didn't have any sugar to forget though as i think sugar is evil. so simply forgot to buy it rather than forget to put it in.

When life gives you lemons, don't forget the vodka...
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Turnip » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Just make lemon shake ups.

Take a lemon. Cut in half. Juice the whole lemon. The juice and lemon pieces go in a regular sized party cup. Add sugar over lemon. Water. Shake. pour over ice.

The fact that the sugar doesn't completely dissolve might be why it is so well liked.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Okay--if I brought meyer's lemons for gifting--would they be eagerly recieved? My mother has multiple trees and we never use all the fruit. I find them to be a superior lemon, but don't want to have to be a salesman for my gifting on the playa.

If that is where all those lemons that I brought home a couple of years ago came from, I can attest to the deliciousness of the fruit.

I made like 3 gallons or so with what came home with me.
Absolutely dee-licious!
There would have been more made but I was eating them raw while juicing them.
Dick Likes lemons a LOT..an Arnold Palmer is one of my faves!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Girl Scout Lemonade

Postby Boomr » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm

1 Lemon
1 Peppermint Stick

Make a hole in the side of the lemon. Put peppermint in hole. Suck on peppermint a few minutes, until the lemon juice melts a hole through the peppermint. Suck up the juice through your peppermint "straw."

Chef's notes:
-Roll the lemon around a bit and lean on it before cutting the hole, to loosen the juice.
-Meyer Lemons are especially good cause they are juicy.
-Vermont Country store makes peppermint sticks especially for this purpose. They come in a big plastic jar, no individual wrappings.
-Take the de-juiced lemon back to camp, cut in half and use it to bathe your feet.
http://totheburn.posterous.com/ The story of two burgins who think they know what they are talking about.
Boomr

Return to Food & Drink