Big Bug

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Big Bug

Postby stuart » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:12 pm

This happens to me daily now.

If I spend any amount of time in a single forum, or trying to write a post, all my threads get reset, i.e., it's as if I hit the mark all threads read button.

what a giant pain in my ass!!!!!!!

I effectively have no way to tell what I have or have not read.
stuart

Postby cowboyangel » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:18 pm

stuart, when I first spotted your post...I thought it said big bud....oh well
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby Dork » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:41 pm

Are you double-clicking any links or re-clicking when it hangs? I've noticed the same thing when I initially try to come here. I click on the link, wait a few minutes, nothing happens, I click again and it eventually comes up but no new threads.

I think it's starting a session twice. Even though I never actually arrived on the site the first time, it's treated as the previous visit.
Dork

Postby Tancorix » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:47 pm

Dork wrote:Are you double-clicking any links or re-clicking when it hangs? I've noticed the same thing when I initially try to come here. I click on the link, wait a few minutes, nothing happens, I click again and it eventually comes up but no new threads.

I think it's starting a session twice. Even though I never actually arrived on the site the first time, it's treated as the previous visit.

This is the same thing that's happening to me, and I'm seeing lots of lag time. I thought it was my connection at first but the sat feed pulls up other stuff with no trouble. And it's not my PC Anywhere connection so the only thing I have left in the chain is the eplaya server.

I stopped looking at the colors and symbols and look at the posting dates and times when it happens as a workaround.
Tancorix

Postby technopatra » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:52 am

Hmmm...I've noticed llag times too but I'm so often downloading something in another window that I blamed it on that.

I'll get Spanky on this. Prolly a server-side issue.
technopatra

Postby stuart » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:57 pm

naw, I aint dbl clicking. I got tons of patience and three computers to play with. If I sit in one spot and don't do anything I trigger this effect.
stuart

Postby spanky » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:40 pm

Hey!

This may be a compound problem. We were upgrading PHP and may have had to restart apache several times in the process. This will totally bork your sessions. At one point, all PHP apps were borken, but Master Ra was able to rememdy things in short order. The other deal is the server processes huge tracts of spam every day, and SpamAssassin, doing its best, may bog the server down too. This should not cause threads to be marked unread though, just create lag on the pages. Could be a MySQL limit thingy, but I don't think so.

Two questions:

1. Is this consistently reproduceable? Can you follow a set of steps repeatedly to make this happen?

2. Is it still happening and when did it start?

(OK, so it looks like 3 questions but #1 is just restated twice)
(...and #2 has two parts)

Folks who are experiencing this should check into this thread with Browser/OS information, please.

I'm swamped today and may be able to have a look at it Monday. I also noted that there is a phpBB update (2.0.10) (actually several updates), but the notes do not mention anything about a problem like you guys are describing.

Apologies if this is making life difficult for folks. I know you rely on the tools to interact and we need to take care of it.

~Spanky

\<>/
~Spanky

\<>/
spanky

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:50 pm

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby stuart » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:57 pm

happened this morning,

I am on internet exploder and XP.

I pop eplaya into the url. It takes a LONG time to appear. When it does, all threads have been marked read.

I don't know if I can always replicate it but I know the behavior that has potential to trigger it.

for example, if I leave this reply window open for awhile chances are I get reset.

how long has it been happening? A long while (months).
stuart

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:53 pm

Just wondering what Spanky and Ra think about clustering. Do you think it's time?

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Dork » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:27 pm

Ok.. looking at the headers the system looks pretty simple. When you come to the site, you are given a session id like this:
Set-Cookie: eplaya_sid=825bb2b129c4101ef3a9bdbf4ffa0e86; path=/; domain=eplaya.burningman.com

This session id is stored with your userid and the date in a database table of some sort. When drawing the page, it compares the time of the post against the time of your previous session to determine whether it's a new post or not.

Either there's some bug where this check fails or a bug that is causing your session cookie to be rewritten. Or, your computer is expiring the cookie when it shouldn't be, which triggers the website to send you a new one.

There are a couple of programs available that log request and response headers, if you want to spend actual time on this let me know and I'll help you get set up. If I had logs from a session where you reproduced the bug I could probably tell where the problem is coming from.
Dork

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:02 pm

When you said Big Bug...

I thought of Man-tis.

Not my fault. Sorry.

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Return to Feature Requests