Barbie Death Camp Reno Hotel Deal

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Barbie Death Camp Reno Hotel Deal

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:32 am

Originally just for those of us in Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro, but now opened up to everyone on the ePlaya, I have negotiated a great hotel deal in Reno. The Sands Regency has a block of rooms and the rates are:

Sunday, August 28 to Thursday September 1: $25
Saturday, August 27 and Friday September 2-Sunday September 4: $65

For those of you flying into Reno on Sunday and looking for a good place to stay, this is a terrific deal. And the rooms are for up to four people.

You will need to call : (866) FUNSTAY [(866) 386-7829] and ask for BURN11

Never let it be said BDC&WB doesn't give back to the community.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:11 am

Wowww. That's kickass. :D

I know if I were flying into Reno I'd take full advantage, and appreciate your generosity in sharing this--even though I wont need it this year. I'm very fond of contingency plans, you see, and have come to the conclusion that if I were flying into Reno, I would probably: pick up my rental, do a lot of shopping, sleep a full night, finish any remaining shopping, then drive to the playa.

I'd find flying in, doing all shopping and THEN driving and waiting in line and setting up camp to be a tremendous pain in the tail all in one day. Possible, just not fun.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby gaminwench » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:23 am

We stay at the Sands every year, post playa, and while I thoroughly enjoy the burner vibe, I must say that the last two years there has been no hot water for showers - due, no doubt, to the plethora of dusty burners reveling in the mod cons...
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 am

Doc:
did you tell them you have keys to all the rooms?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Minxy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Doc, sweet deal, thanks for the heads up!

@ygmir LOL!!!!!

I've got to meet ya, Doc, you have SUCH a reputation! :D I always seem to miss the Meet and Greet. Maybe this year I'll actually make it. :D I don't post a lot here, so don't have a bunch of connections to meet, but it'd still be fun. :)
Minxy

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:22 pm

It doesn't matter, Minxy, come anyway. :) I intend to make it. I find that people I meet online don't feel real until I meet 'em in person, and then the last piece of the puzzle clicks into place. And almost everyone I've ever met that online is much more fun in person.
Savannah

Postby Minxy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Oh, totally Savannah. :D I fully plan (and have planned) on going. It's just...I never make it there. :oops:

I'm sure that never happens to anyone else... :D ;)
Minxy

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Why, I never. :lol:

I have actually always intended to visit Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro just based on the name, not really taking into account that it's also the site of the ePlaya Meet & Greet. I think last year was the first time I was even vaguely conscious of it because I realized that Jella was going, but I was too busy eating grilled cheese sandwiches and dancing to funk. You know how it is.

Oops. Thread drift.
Savannah

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Minxy, do you know Clar-i-ty? She's from Vallejo as I recall and is a Barbiebarian as well. Sadly she won't be making it out this year, but from what I could ascertain, she knows all kinds of burners. Worth a shout out at least.
Dr. Pyro

Postby Minxy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Ya, Savannah, I was camped about 3 camps away from them my very first year and it looked super cool. I was a bit too shy to just barge right in though. Not so much anymore!

Hey, Doc, I have PMed with Clar-it-y a few times last year, but we never met or talked much. She seems super nice. :)
Minxy

Postby brodi wan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:21 pm

After the drive from Chicago, we were going to stay in Reno for a refresher. This is going to work out great, thanks a lot. I will have to thank you in person at the meet and greet.
brodi wan

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Sparkle Spaz Carny Tron

Postby Mojojita » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:41 am

Doc - we have an RV with a trailer (so having to back up will cause a divorce). Does the SR have any parking that is moderately secure that can accomodate?
Mojojita

Postby jella » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 am

Savannah wrote:Why, I never. :lol:

I have actually always intended to visit Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro just based on the name, not really taking into account that it's also the site of the ePlaya Meet & Greet. I think last year was the first time I was even vaguely conscious of it because I realized that Jella was going, but I was too busy eating grilled cheese sandwiches and dancing to funk. You know how it is.

Oops. Thread drift.

I missed the Stag Camp funk and Grilled cheese :(. Looks like I'm a staggering Barbibarian this year hehe
+1 thread drift :oops:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 am

Well then, I have an extra excuse to come visit.
Savannah

Postby gaminwench » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:40 am

Mojojita... yes, there is a large parking lot across from the hotel with 'drive-thru' capability for large, cumbersome, dusty rigs...
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Mojojita » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks GW and Doc! Especially for getting the early dates for those of us that are EA.
Mojojita

Postby ibdave » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Mojo, I got us the grand suite, the SOs can stay in the parking lot with the RV to keep em safe... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Mojojita » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:20 pm

ibdave wrote:Mojo, I got us the grand suite, the SOs can stay in the parking lot with the RV to keep em safe... 8) 8) 8)

Snorkel in the hot tub!!!!!
Mojojita

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:23 am

We had our costume closet stolen out of our roof topper in that RV lot. Forgot to snap on the locks, so that part is our fault. But we lost a pink ballgown, a jumpsuit, a velvet goth gown, a new faux fur coat, a white tux jacket and my handmade Japanese silk cape. Bastards. At least some homeless meth addict is looking playafied.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Super Evil Brian » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:05 am

Savannah wrote:It doesn't matter, Minxy, come anyway. :) I intend to make it. I find that people I meet online don't feel real until I meet 'em in person, and then the last piece of the puzzle clicks into place. And almost everyone I've ever met that online is much more fun in person.

I'm boring as shit and ramble on like a crazy man.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:24 am

I laugh really loudly, yet have issues with eye contact. :shock:
Savannah

Postby Mojojita » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:45 am

AntiM wrote:We had our costume closet stolen out of our roof topper in that RV lot. Forgot to snap on the locks, so that part is our fault. But we lost a pink ballgown, a jumpsuit, a velvet goth gown, a new faux fur coat, a white tux jacket and my handmade Japanese silk cape. Bastards. At least some homeless meth addict is looking playafied.

Yeah - I thought I remembered that was where that happened. We try pretty hard to lock everything down but anyone with a big set of bolt cutters would have a field day. I might just get a gift ticket for one of my camp if they stay with the stuff. - Or could set up a rotating night watch. We will likely be there Wednesday night pre-event with 3 or 4 rooms. If any other burners want in on the night watch thing, we could join forces.

I will be busy in the hot tub yelling "Up Periscope"!!!
Mojojita

Postby Super Evil Brian » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Savannah wrote:I laugh really loudly, yet have issues with eye contact. :shock:

The loud laughter is awesome :)

Hopefully our paths will cross when you're in a good mood.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:55 am

<bump>

Since several people have asked "Where to stay?" I thought bringing this back up is timely. You can thank me later.
Dr. Pyro

First timers

Postby vizoo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:03 am

Hi Doc, Gaminwench and regular burners,

We need a little help/tip/advice... Do you stay at The Sands Regency during the event and drive to playa everyday?

I noticed the original date for this topic is Mar 22, are there still rooms available?

Is there a camping area around Barbie Death Camp?

No BDC Newsletter for April?

In time, we are from Brazil and will be in BM on our way to (or back from) Alaska.

Cheers,

Renato & Renato
Driving 25k miles across the americas.
www.americas2011.com
www.acromerreca.com
vizoo

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 am

Vizoo, check your PM. Nobody that I know of "commutes" to Black Rock City during the event. Our people stay at the Sands either the night before arriving and/or the night they leave, to get a good nights rest and get cleaned up. We have had people needing to leave BRC during the week to pick up a girlfriend-sibling-S.O. and the Sands is a good place to meet, especially if they are getting into the Reno airport very early in the morning or late at night.

There are still plenty of rooms available. We took down I think an entire floor, so there will be rooms available until likely early August.
Dr. Pyro

Postby Sham » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:46 pm

What a great deal. I am booking a room for a nice hot shower on the way out. Yeee-haaa!
Sham

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:51 pm

[bump]

Because damn it, we care.
Dr. Pyro

Postby Snow » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 pm

If you happen to be there on a thursday make sure to hit the Sands pool party. Its quite wild, especially the bikini contest.

I know someone who commutes to the playa from Reno nearly everyday, I would avoid even thinking about that at all costs. I have no idea how she manages. One year I had to leave to give a presentation to the state EPA in Carson City. Was one of the weirdest experiences ever to go from playa to giving a presentation and then straight back to the playa, it was like some strange playa dream.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby peacefulhuman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Doc Pyro - THANK YOU for arranging this! We just booked Sat & Sun pre-burn at these great rates - so awesome of you to do this. We will look for you at the meet n greet to thank you in person!

See you in the dust
Terry & Lesley
peacefulhuman

Next

Return to 2011 Share Resources