Goggles for Contacts/Glasses-wearers

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Goggles for Contacts/Glasses-wearers

Postby talkfahrenheit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 pm

I wear contact lenses and occasionally glasses (but mostly contacts). Last year, I made it almost through the entire burn wearing contacts. I'd take them out before I went to sleep and would wait until I was going out at night to put them back in. I wore my glasses during the day sometimes, but was worried about them getting scratched during a dust storm. They also went missing once in our 50 person sleep tent...no fun.

The night of the burn, I wore my contacts with my goggles, but the smoke and playa seeped through the goggles and completely coated the contacts. I had to take them out in the middle of the playa and couldn't see any of the beautiful lights or art. It was also pretty fun trying to get back to camp without any street signs or my glasses.

Point being- this year I want to make some kick-ass goggles that have prescription lenses in them. Does anyone know if there are any burner opticians out there, or has anyone done something like this before? I even considered just getting lenses made and then somehow gluing them to goggles....but I have no clue what I'm doing.

Any similar problems?
talkfahrenheit

Postby Mariaah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:10 pm

I too am having problems with glasses/goggles. I am trying to find goggles that will go over my glasses. I have one pair but they are to heavy.

Anyway, I have seen many sites that will put prescription lenses in goggles. Here are a couple:

http://www.heavyglare.com/goggles/
http://www.opticsplanet.net/goggles.html

Hope it helps
Mariaah

Postby gaminwench » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:29 pm

I've taken my 'old' glasses lenses, which get darker in the sun, and given them to a friend who is a fine leather worker. He's fashioning custom leather glasses/goggles for me; I'm hoping it is the answer to a 12 year issue...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:00 pm

There's lots of snowboard goggles that fit over glasses but they're not exactly super hip looking. :) I have some motorcycle type goggles that work pretty decent with my glasses, but they do let dust in. Most of the time I wear my prescription sunglasses that are the wrap around style, and that keeps the dust out of my eyes fairly well.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Freesponge » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:07 pm

I would recommend trying daily disposable contact lenses, bit more expensive than your regular set but if they get coated you can replace them.

In addition you could try getting a pair of goggles with a better seal.

Basically if you have goggles that fit over your glasses they are going to be big.
Noodles
Freesponge

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 pm

there are a couple of very informative threads already here on this subject......can't remember the names, sorry. But, maybe someone else does?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:19 pm

For goggles in general, you can get some goggles like these. They're basically ski/motorcycle goggles. I plan on getting some or using old ski goggles because the chemistry goggles I tried using let in too much dust. I stupidly forgot my goggles the night of the megatropolis burn, and had to squint my way through the entire dust storm. I was incredibly surprised that my contacts didn't get scratched and ruined.

If you want something to completely block out the smoke and such, have you considered swimming goggles?
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ashe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:41 pm

There are a multitude of online optical companies that will make corrected goggles / visors to your prescription. Including prescription swim goggles, snorkel masks (don't get these - the diopter will be wrong for land/air - also usually the case for swim goggles - tell the vendor what you are using them for or they will put a water correction on!), or what have you. I just helped my dad order bifocal ski goggles... The interwebs are great for this kind of thing. Your rx will need to be 1-2 years old or less. You will need to have full measurements, including the PD if your opt/ophth didn't write it down.
The general goofy-looking factor is high on all of the retail goggles. However, you won't be looking at yourself most of the time.
I've worn sealing lab goggles over glasses much of my life and had varying experiences with seepage around the rims - PM me if you want recommendations. I just buy cheap prescription lab-goggles now and don't mess around with goggles over glasses.
As far as popping rx lenses into interesting looking goggle frames - 'most any optician will be able to do what you want with a clear or simple tinted lens if you have a reasonably built frame that screws closed and is of adequate frame thickness for the diopter. A goggle has a 360 enclosure, and so can hold heavy correction. You don't need glass for this purpose, which lets the optician play with light, graduated plastics. So - shouldn't be too hard. Worst case is they'll have you sign a release for the frame. The bigger issue is getting a good seal around your eye - not always easy with round frames.
Best of luck -
Ashe

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 am

Ohh another point, if it's a whiteout you don't really need prescription goggles as you can't see anything anyway. Just swap out your glasses with some good sealing goggles. :)
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:00 pm

They wont fit over glasses, but if you wear contacts, as I do. Welders Cutting goggles work great!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bexx » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:24 am

I don't know about making yer own - but I got these last year and they worked perfectly!

http://www.maximumeyewear.com/productfo ... sunglasses

being able to swap lenses was a bonus.
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:05 pm

Goggles with prescription inserts, clear, amber and grey lenses.

http://www.classicgoggles.com/goggles/m ... e=ref4400p

Google is pretty cool.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby robotland » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:29 am

http://www.botachtactical.com/paulbubgog.html

I've got these in tinted and clear, for day/night wear...also available in amber, etc....Good field of vision, very light weight, and they'll fit over a monkey mask if necessary.

I've been fooling around with building space helmets for a while, and sometimes use the clear plastic inserts from full-face protective gear for the faceplates...super cheap, so no tears when they inevitably get scratched or scuffed. With some tinkering you could make something that looks cool and doesn't leave you with Goggle Eye...If you're a scifi nerd, I refer you to the flashbacks of Earth in the movie "Pandorum" where people are shown wearing headgear that looks as though it'd work beautifully in a dustup![/u]
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby robotland » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:36 am

BBadger wrote:I stupidly forgot my goggles the night of the megatropolis burn, and had to squint my way through the entire dust storm. I was incredibly surprised that my contacts didn't get scratched and ruined.

Goggles barely helped me for that micropocalypse! Dragonfly Jafe and I had to pilot a MV home, which took us a while....but dang, it was worth it! What a great burn! I was wearing those big black-framed army goggles, but they were old and the snap that holds the eyeplate in wouldn't hold so the dust just blew in and under my eyelids. Eccchhhh!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Re:

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat May 05, 2012 6:40 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Ohh another point, if it's a whiteout you don't really need prescription goggles as you can't see anything anyway. Just swap out your glasses with some good sealing goggles. :)

Today I found some decent-quality goggles for $8.00 at an army surplus store but of course they won't fit over my glasses. The tint and mirroring are good, and without my glasses on the seal is very good and they're quite comfortable. So, I'm hoping to get some other people's opinions on the comment quoted above.

Also, everyone is a different case, of course, but, by the time you've put on your goggles in a dust-storm, what is visibility like? I'm not completely blind without my glasses but things 10 feet away are pretty blurry...
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: Re:

Postby Eric » Sat May 05, 2012 6:51 pm

ensimismada wrote:Also, everyone is a different case, of course, but, by the time you've put on your goggles in a dust-storm, what is visibility like? I'm not completely blind without my glasses but things 10 feet away are pretty blurry...

It honestly depends on the dust storm- I've been in them where you could only see 7-10 feet (and that blurry) for ages, I've also been in them where they're easy to move through, but you definitely want your eyes covered.

For a white out, you just want something over your eyes that keeps as much dust out as possible. For lighter storms, it depends on your personal comfort level. My first year I think I brought 3 or 4 goggles, I checked for comfort, visibility & function (not in that order) and kept the 2 I liked best around. The other two became either loaners or gifts.

I still carry more than I "need", in case I want a different style. It also means I always have an extra if someone lost (or "forgot") theirs.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Goggles for Contacts/Glasses-wearers

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat May 05, 2012 7:34 pm

When you put "forgot" in quotes, does that mean that they are only pretending to have forgotten their goggles so they can get a pair of yours?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Tue May 08, 2012 8:20 am

I wear glasses. I know extended-wear contacts are a popular solution, but... I don't know... I don't normally wear contacts at all; glasses are part of my self-identity. Glasses and funny hats. So I have two solutions which I'm going to make work, I think: Prescription sunglasses for day/calm weather and prescription goggles for night/dust storms. Both are things I already have.

The sunglasses provide good sun protection and are goggly enough (big lenses, wide temples, sit close to my face) to provide decent protection from ordinary blowin'-in-the-wind levels of dust, but not from dust storms. I figure that in a dust storm, I won't need the sun protection, so I can swap them for the goggles.

The goggles provide better dust protection (although they're not swimming goggles, so they don't seal completely), but they won't be good for when the sun is up, because they're not tinted. I'll also want to mod the goggles a bit for style. There's a gold metallic-looking paint you can buy for rubber tires; I figure it will be good for covering up the blue rubber part. For the strap, I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking of creating a temporary covering out of some metallic fabric. Maybe a few coverings that I can change up.

With both pairs, I need a bit of extra protection against dust. Not only for my eyes, but to keep the scratching of the lenses down to a reasonable level. In 2000, we had a few pretty good dust storms during the day, and I found that a sheer headscarf wrapped around my face (right over my eyes, even) worked pretty well. They don't impede your vision nearly as much as you would expect them to, especially the darker-coloured ones. If you get silk ones, they can be woven fine enough to block dust. And they're generally plentiful and cheap at my local thrift stores -- bonus!

Extra-bonus scarf tip: A long, sheer scarf sewn to your hat provides a nice semi-shade for your face and shoulders during the heat of the day. It keeps you a bit cool and adds a touch of extra dust- and sun protection (if you're like me, sunscreen's not enough. And while I'll generally be clothed, I'll want to go sleeveless at least part of the time). Plus, wearing a hat with a scarf hanging from it makes me feel like a princess. *twirls*
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue May 08, 2012 9:31 am

catinthefunnyhat wrote:... gold metallic-looking paint you can buy for rubber tires...

I found that a sheer headscarf wrapped around my face (right over my eyes, even) worked pretty well.

A long, sheer scarf sewn to your hat provides a nice semi-shade for your face and shoulders during the heat of the day.

I like all of these ideas! Thanks for the reminder that being creatively self-reliant is key :)
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby ^Monster^ » Sat May 19, 2012 10:53 am

Since my eyes are so sensitive light to I have to wear prescription sunglasses at day.. havent found a pair of goggles that can fit over..and if I fly blind.. I am alright.. I do end up in random camps which is fine during the day but its not fun when you crash into things at night or get headaches from everything being out of focus.. so this year I am going to invest in prescription ski goggles for at least the night.
I would mod my current glasses..but it's my only pair :(

Thanks Mariaah for the links!
^Monster^

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Hookahdome

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 am

I find, that since the safest place for my preciously way-too-fucking-expensive eyeglasses is ON MY FACE, I do better with DeWalt safety goggles. I decorated them with fabric paint, plastic jewels, and decals from my kids' old model kits. These goggles (see my avatar pic) actually fit over my big-ass sunglasses too, in a pinch. But I also keep a long gauzy scarf tied to my hat.

I also keep single-use vials of eyedrops in a lipstick case on my person, so I can rinse and inspect my eyes immediately if they bother me.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Spryte » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:41 pm

this is an excellent post! i wear glasses and have not ventured to the field of contacts yet because i don't feel comfortable poking my eyes lol...so glasses it is! I actually have done a little bit of research and i'm looking into the maximum eyewear website (the spider ones w/ interchangeable lenses) and i've seen the dewalt brand goggles too!

my question is, would either of these goggles work over thick square frame glasses? i know a lot of "over the glasses" goggles are more meant for the wire frame glasses....
these are my glasses below, what do you guys think/recommend?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--Spryte
Transformus - '07, '10
Afterburn - '07-'12
Preheat - '08-'12
Spryte

Burning Since: 2013

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:59 am

Something like these may work....with a little modification in the seal. My friend used a cheaper Harbor Freight pair, that worked Great over his glasses. Although, his frames were a little thinner. What he wound up doing was visiting welding shops, hardware stores..to find what worked.

addendum..missed that part...you saw these.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Ruhm » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks for the great info in this thread !
Ruhm/Fred
Ruhm

Camp Name: KK

Postby Capt. RON » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 pm

I've bought and used goggles from this company for years:

http://www.maximumeyewear.com/productfo ... ggles.html

They have goggles for large frame glasses and small frames as well.

You should look at models with rubber seals, rather than foam seals to minimize playa dust migration.

If you want a totally bomb proof goggle with a perscription insert, try the BOLLE Tactical series:

http://www.bolle-tactical.com/

These models are very popular with Special Operators in dry dusty combat theaters.
"It's only smoking if you inhale" Daddy WARBUCKS Cigar Lounge at the ORPHAN / ENDORPHIN camp
http://orphanendorphin.com/cigar.html
Capt. RON

Camp Name: ORPHAN / ENDORPHIN

Postby Bexx » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Spryte wrote:this is an excellent post! i wear glasses and have not ventured to the field of contacts yet because i don't feel comfortable poking my eyes lol...so glasses it is! I actually have done a little bit of research and i'm looking into the maximum eyewear website (the spider ones w/ interchangeable lenses) and i've seen the dewalt brand goggles too!

my question is, would either of these goggles work over thick square frame glasses? i know a lot of "over the glasses" goggles are more meant for the wire frame glasses....
these are my glasses below, what do you guys think/recommend?

I have glasses similar to yours. - The last 3 years I've used the ones called SPYDER from the maximum eyewear site. They work great. Last year tho I bought a second pair, I forget the name.. so I didn't have to keep switching out the lenses.
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby Desiree K. Smith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Yes, thanks indeed for all the great info on this thread!
Aloha
"I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?" - Douglas Adams
Desiree K. Smith

Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

Postby tatonka » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:00 am

Making a pair out of old prescription sunglasses

1/2 done

winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Savannah » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Holy @#$% Tatonka, are you making those yourself? :shock:

Secondly, is that you in your new avatar? :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tatonka » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Savannah wrote:Holy @#$% Tatonka, are you making those yourself? :shock:

Secondly, is that you in your new avatar? :lol:

got them done , put a pic in "one thing a day for burningman " post

yes that was me when I was 50 before I went in for cancer surgery , took some pics cause I knew they would mess me up .
I photo shopped the police tag , was a camera there :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear