Early theme = more money for Larry

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 am

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your language offends me. Besides, you have to be the stupidest son of a bitch on the ePlaya actually believing that there would be no drugs at TTITD.

And the theme sucks.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:50 am

The CO wrote:BAS, those are truly the questions that keep philosophers up at night.

What? No one bothered to ask how Dr. Dre is making more money?

Larry schmarry ... Dr. Dre is really behind everything. I wouldn't be surprised if he had about 12 user names here and posted "hater" comments just to piss people off.

Burning Man is 25 this year, that's a rite of passage.

I imagine there about 45,000 different opinions on what Burning Man really is, what it really means and what the purpose of it is.

I don't care if fucking Donald Trump is running Burning Man as a front organization to hide revinue. Then again, with hair that ... eh ... "creative," he may very well be. Maybe there will be another tacky (his buildings are horrendously ugly) Trump Tower but on the edge of BRC.

If we're lucky, we can reserve suites next to Larry and Dr. Dre.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby graidawg » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:20 am

hey its my first year and larry knew i would be coming (before i did) and chose this theme for me so no slagging it off
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Why do you begrudge Larry money?

Postby andy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 pm

I don't know what Larry earns, and I don't know if it's more than his stated salary, but why do you begrudge it? I worked for a startup in the memory chip business. I won't mention its name here but you've probably never heard of it. It employed about 100 people at its peak. The two brothers who started it made $600 million (really) - or at least had that much in stock value at its peak.

Larry Harvey started and nurtured a festival that draws 50,000 people a year. You've probably heard of it, even if you don't attend. What does he deserve for this success? If he earns $100,000, that's less than I do, and I never created a successful festival. If he earns $200,000, that's like a mid-level manager at some companies with maybe two layers underneath. If he earns $300,000, that's the same as the lowest-paid major league baseball player (ie. rookie benchwarmer making the league minimum). He deserves any penny of his success.
andy

Postby addison4 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:17 pm

The themes suck on purpose: BM is about individualism, not leadership.

I like that the theme is vague and lame; it gives me freedom to develop an entire camp on my own themes that DO have meaning. The void of BM leadership is what makes me want to fill that void.

Larry deserves whatever he can get. If you don't like it, sue him or vote with your feet. There's no where else to go as cool as BM btw.
Register with "A 1776 Masquerade":
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhqOU5LVUp2MVFXaXBPMmtOXy1SZXc6MA
addison4

Postby TomServo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:30 pm

addison4 wrote:The themes suck on purpose: BM is about individualism, not leadership.

I like that the theme is vague and lame; it gives me freedom to develop an entire camp on my own themes that DO have meaning. The void of BM leadership is what makes me want to fill that void.

Larry deserves whatever he can get. If you don't like it, sue him or vote with your feet. There's no where else to go as cool as BM btw.

and how many years have you been? tell me your favorite year!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby graidawg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:56 am

I want to say again I think this theme is awesome! the only one that i think in the past would have got me nearly as excited is the green man theme ('coz i'm a pagan celtso ner ner) but with BM being 25 me being a birgin turning 42 (the meaning of life) and really using this whole thing to turn my life around - BM may be totaly unpredictable in what i will get out of it, but getting ready to go is part of the rite, just like any actuall rite here in defaultia. I am getting so much out of my personal preparations - learnig there are other people in the world just like me - or more like me than me!
people giving ME there time and effort support and advice, leading to interesting places, showing me stuff or giving me the motivation to do it for myself, renewing my love of everybody and making me want to do stuff again.
so saying this years theme sucks may also be a tradition and part of the rites associated with BM, whining and whinging about how larry is making money out of us or whatever people want to moan about is another great tradition, people love to moan and complain rather than actually do anything about it.
But this is a do-ocracy and more people DO things than complain about people who aren't doing things. I have seen and been a part of more acts of altruism here on eplaya than anywhere else in my life.
If you want to complain about BM feel free this is a radically inclusive event after all, but if anyone wants rip into the wonderful people on here then motherfucker make sure you have thick skin and good armour because you are going to get back far far more than you give out.

god i love a good rambling rant
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Previous

Return to 2011 Theme