How real can you keep it?

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:39 pm

hhmm, thanks Spect. that's enlightening.

yup, herding cats can be tough.

I see this board, as pretty dang well run.
and, mostly, self policing.
I have and do, experience a great sense of community here.
I've had great conversations, with pretty much everyone here, and, pissing contests, too.
Just makes it all the better, IMHO.

I'd rather use "plonk" or exercise my freedom to not read a thread or poster, than to have to much oversight, though.
But, that's just me.

As such, thanks for what you've done to work for positive outcomes here.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby spectabillis » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:15 pm

tamarakay wrote:i don't get a warm community sense from your posts.

think people want that at an open fight club?

not all of us sit around a drum circle or crowd into a sound camp. some of us are just not into your default community thats been developed over the years as a specific identity function that people automatically associate with.

some of us... we're unique, independant, and dont go to burningman for something we can find in a nightclub or rainbow gathering.
spectabillis

Postby jkisha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:24 pm

tamarakay wrote:
spectabillis wrote:
ygmir wrote:are you a mod? Admin? associated with the ORG? ... and, as sometimes required, can be quite abrasive.

now, i just hope this place gets that strong community involvement again, been way too long.

wow, that's an interesting statement coming from you. i don't get a warm community sense from your posts.

spectabullshit wrote: im just not afraid of people when theres important work to be done. besides, you can still see plenty of people being petty just because they once got rubbed the wrong way or someone bothered to stand up to them. you never want to please those people, that just feeds thier selfishness and resentments.

Ah yes, the words and deeds of a real leader.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Very interesting reading...obviously I don't know all the behind the scenes stuff and I don't want to wade into it that much. I just hope when the smoke clears that:

A: We have an eplaya that's stable for end users, moderators, and admins.
B: Our current crew of moderators feels valued and stays put.
C: That the board continues to grow and reflect the community it serves.

As for Spectabillis, we haven't seen eye to eye over the years but his posts make it clear to me that he does care for the board and is willing to fight for it. And for that he's earned my respect. I hope others see what I see and offer him at least some kind of support.

Moving on...these allegations of stalking keep resurfacing with different people named as the perps and the victims. I'm not sure if it's based on fact or paranoia...I haven't seen anything posted that leads me to believe it's actually happened. I've seen some good smoke and mirrors, some people use free search engines to pull some public info off the internet and use it to mindfuck some people, but that's it. So if it's really happening people need to not bitch but involve law enforcement, check their states laws and if they have anti-stalking laws like the states I've been in do...then invoke them and put a stop to the stuff. If the cops or the attorneys won't help take it public and help is available.

I know that the stalking charge has been used to smear innocent people in the past...so a good move by everyone who reads such allegations would be to use some simple critical thinking skills and consider the source, the allegations, the alleged victim, and see if it makes sense before jumping on any bandwagons.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:18 am

LOL, I wasn't stalked online, nor was it related to eplaya or Burning Man. Good old fashioned creepy.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 pm

AntiM wrote:LOL, I wasn't stalked online, nor was it related to eplaya or Burning Man. Good old fashioned creepy.

If this should happen to change as I said help is available.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 pm

spectabillis wrote:

not all of us sit around a drum circle or crowd into a sound camp. some of us are just not into your default community thats been developed over the years as a specific identity function that people automatically associate with.

some of us... we're unique, independant, and dont go to burningman for something we can find in a nightclub or rainbow gathering.

oh no, you're not.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby tamarakay » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
spectabillis wrote:

oh no, you're not.

I am a 50 year old recovering alcoholic, that lives a very reserved, thoughtful life in small town, central texas. haven't been to a nightclub in over 20 years. never been to a rainbow gathering. my son is a drummer, but i've never really been involved in a drum circle (unless march out from the football game counts) and this year's burningman will be the first time i've ever seen a sound camp (never been to a rave either). havent' been here years, just since September. however, i will go out on a limb and say that each and very person's interpretation and experience with burningman is unique to them and none of your damned business to judge.

dvd has mental issues, as do several members of my family. I was touched that so many tried so hard on here to deal with him and i hope that my family members are treated with some of that compassion in whatever reality they have invaded. so yes, its personal. yes, i know how exhausting he is. he made me tired and i am relieved he's being squelched, but i'm sad too.

i respect kinetic v. and will trust in his respect of you. thank you for the service you provided for this board in what sounds like very dark days indeed. however, none of that "earns" you the right to be a dick now.

hi simon. you make me laugh more than anyone i've ever met. you make me think too, which is even better.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:52 pm

tamarakay wrote:wow, that's an interesting statement coming from you. i don't get a warm community sense from your posts.

Me neither. His posts are becoming as hard to decipher as the Fire Elf's/Mayavin's. And, who really has time to parse stuff like that?
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby spectabillis » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:23 am

tamarakay wrote:.. however, none of that "earns" you the right to be a dick now...

thats a reasonable request, especially in the feedback area. but since this has already died down, most of the frustration and animosity is going to subside right here anyways... thats usually how this little vicious cycle works with everyone.

not elsewhere on eply, people will occasionally eighty six your words and beliefs and not be very nice about it, unfortunately there's a few good reasons for that now unless the environment changes again. so dont expect it elsewhere because people dont have to arbitrarily agree with whatever you say or whoever you are, and that doesnt make them a dick.
spectabillis

Postby ibdave » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:22 am

spectabillis wrote:
tamarakay wrote:.. So dont expect it elsewhere because people dont have to arbitrarily agree with whatever you say or whoever you are, and that doesnt make them a dick.

No better statement posted here in WEEKS.....
I have been here from the beginning and seen the hard work all the "Mods" have done to keep this forum up and going.. Thanks for that.
We all have bad days, others have issues.(raising hand)
Specs view point has not changed much over the years and while I don't agree each and every time but you know that he's going to call you on it.

tamarakay, you I love. You excitement is contagious. I look forward to the newbies trying to figure things out. If I had the opportunity to make a change to the" BM Principal's" it would be that all camper returning should have 1 new person in camp to relive the 1st time on the Playa through the newbies eyes. Thanks noobs...

This is not facebook thank goodness....... :shock: 8) :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby jkisha » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:30 am

And what's wrong with Facebook?
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby ibdave » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:34 am

jkisha wrote:And what's wrong with Facebook?

Nothing... 8)
but can you imagine eplaya Facebook-ed...? :shock: :shock: :roll:

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Postby jkisha » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:37 am

ibdave wrote:

Nothing... 8)

I can, actually. You can totally block people on Facebook. You can set privacy filters so that only certain people can see certain posts, you can upload as many photos as you like, etc, etc, etc. I think eplaya could benefit from this type of functionality and end user control.
JK
jkisha

Postby ibdave » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:47 am

jkisha wrote:
ibdave wrote:

Nothing... 8)

I can, actually. You can totally block people on Facebook. You can set privacy filters so that only certain people can see certain posts, you can upload as many photos as you like, etc, etc, etc. I think eplaya could benefit from this type of functionality and end user control.

oh fine get all puter geeky on me...... 8) 8) 8)

ibdave

Postby jkisha » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 am

ibdave wrote:
jkisha wrote:
ibdave wrote:

Nothing... 8)

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:45 am

jkisha wrote:
ibdave wrote:
jkisha wrote:
ibdave wrote:

Nothing... 8)

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:

I find facebook more conducive to odd territories and pettiness than to "community." (drink) And I am very intrigued by that recent study that found that the more "friends" you have there, the more stress you are under.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Kinetik V » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 am

That study is bogus. Some of us have more friends because our social circles are just larger. High school, college, work people, special interest stuff it just goes on and on. I feel that once you go past 150 FB friends the "signal to noise" ratio gets a bit too high. If I add someone it's because I really want to keep up on what they're doing so now I stress quality over quantity. And I do some cleanup every other month that also seems to help....
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby spectabillis » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:44 am

tamarakay wrote:...I am a 50 year old recovering alcoholic..

hey tamarakay, i wanted to come back to this and thank you for sharing something thats a bit personal for most. met a couple of recovered aa's at bman, not sure anymore but they used to have a support group there.

those couple of people have been great for me to know, so really, nothing personal is intended
spectabillis

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:52 pm

I agree with Spec on that - My FB list is around 120 people, I know them all - some better than others. I also have a ton of other friends that are not on my Fb list either - its just another social tool to.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:57 am

i like the faceBook.

i know, it appears to be a monster of Narcissism with a feed-back loop designed to stroke the user, but if one looks at the connectivity it provides to everyone from Artists to Revolutionaries, i think you'll find that it is a tool, and what you do with it is the important thing.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Previous

Return to Policy Discussion