How real can you keep it?

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Postby graidawg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:25 am

once again i am reminded that england and america are two countries seperated by a common language, usually in my experience admin just do admin and its the mods who kick arse and take names. Seems to me you've got the shitty end of the stick Aunty em, doing the admin (deleting spam etc) and having to take names but damn it you cant kick arse. Thats really not fair on you, i mean mods are picked for there ability to do the job and you have shown remarkable restraint - i vote you get some arsekicking powers other than simple deletion.

still think you are great Aunty Em and I respect you immensly
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby spectabillis » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:28 am

AntiM wrote:There's a reason I remind the community that the mods are very limited in what we can do... Patience is essential, and one of my primary goals is to get users to cooperate in not escalating bad situations.

unfortunately for you, patience runs against people's experience that nothing is going to get done. you can only expect so much, obviously not when problems persist for years. once again, not your fault.

Another thing about seemingly doing nothing... when PMs are sent, we must wait for a response. That invisible lag time, and a desire to conduct warnings and discussions in private instead of public reprimands make sit seem as though noting is happening when indeed, it is.

big problem i had with establishing a private discussion area for mods, there's no transparency provided to the community. but that proved to be required anyways because when those things were discussed openly, it was an immediate magnet to those prone to conflicts and quickly escalated things across the entire board. just cant do it with people like dvd around.

not an easy situation to deal with, not at all. but now that its been done, you should start to see an improvement in community involvement and relations - which used to be our grand goal because thats what its supposed to be all about, community. we just keep loosing that perspective when involved in conflicts.
spectabillis

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:34 am

The mod area has uses. While we can strive for transparency, I don't think it hurts to have a place where mods and admin can discuss and make decisions without just anyone commenting and throwing in extraneous bitching and snark. Personally, I never thought majority rule here was any kind of a good idea. I know your opinion differs from mine on that.

What we do not have, which I have tried to address, is an area for official moderator to board communications. There are the feedback forums, but they are only read by a limited number of users. Many of the announcements and requests which need to be made simply do not fall within the categories.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby graidawg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 am

AntiM wrote:The mod area has uses. While we can strive for transparency, I don't think it hurts to have a place where mods and admin can discuss and make decisions without just anyone commenting and throwing in extraneous bitching and snark. Personally, I never thought majority rule here was any kind of a good idea. I know your opinion differs from mine on that.

What we do not have, which I have tried to address, is an area for official moderator to board communications. There are the feedback forums, but they are only read by a limited number of users. Many of the announcements and requests which need to be made simply do not fall within the categories.

Again a missing feature on the forums i used to frequent mods could mass pm everybody - that way you can be sure everyone reads it (and there socks)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby spectabillis » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 am

graidawg wrote:Thats really not fair on you, i mean mods are picked for there ability to do the job and you have shown remarkable restraint - i vote you get some arsekicking powers other than simple deletion.

oh man you just zero'd in on something, i had a big fight with actiongrl over that. worse than what you observe, because it puts mods into a position where they are subjected to abuse because people like dvd know they cant do anything, and then target mods with the worst of their behavior.
spectabillis

Postby graidawg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:44 am

spectabillis wrote:
graidawg wrote:Thats really not fair on you, i mean mods are picked for there ability to do the job and you have shown remarkable restraint - i vote you get some arsekicking powers other than simple deletion.

oh man you just zero'd in on something, i had a big fight with actiongrl over that. worse than what you observe, because it puts mods into a position where they are subjected to abuse because people like dvd know they cant do anything, and then target mods with the worst of their behavior.

well i for one would simply delete every single post of the offender and replace with a simple i deleted this because he is a twat and i cant ban him. I dont think many people would argue with this - near everybody agrees one person can ruin everyones fun, so dont let him.
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:49 am

I've been abused by worse than DVD. Even through the worst of his behavior, he never held my reprimands and requests against me. Now he does. That's sad.

Comes with the territory, if you put yourself out there in any capacity, someone will take exception to your words/actions/eye color.

The really crazy ones worry me, as I am easy to find at the event. Usually they can't get it together enough to go to the playa, so I'm not overly concerned.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby spectabillis » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:57 am

yeah im a bit worried about you over it, theres a history of stalking and its happened to me, happened to others. turns something you love so much into something you fear, and eventually... dont like.

sorry.

and people wonder why i get so negative over these things now, guess they wouldnt wonder if they really knew whats up
spectabillis

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:08 am

I've had friendly lurkers show and say hi, which startled me. But I have resources, so I will continue to invite folks to my art project.

I've been stalked. It was taken care of. LOL, Now I sound like DVD....
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 am

please, excuse my confusion here, or, lack of knowledge:

Spect:
are you a mod? Admin? associated with the ORG?

just wondering.
you've got lots to say, and, lots of knowledge.

and, as sometimes required, can be quite abrasive.

Not that it's my business, or, anyone needs answer.
Just a query...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:47 am

Sometimes we do what we can, other times we need some support upstream. There is a lag there obviously but all in all I think we have a good forum.

Have to boot people now and then, but that is only after we issue warning after warning.

The mod folder that the public does not see is where we keep notes, talk policy and figure out game plans. Nothing sinister about it. Almost all of the Eplaya enhancements are being looked at, some are feasible some are not.

So stay tuned, and as always - pm a mod if you notice something awry.

later.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby ibdave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:48 am

DVD Burner wrote:P.S. I really am a good guy!

(I can be a bad boy at times, but for the most part..............................)

:lol:

DVD, what you seem to be doing these past few weeks, is begging for the eplaya to like you.. The Eplaya doesn't have a "like" button... :roll: :roll: :roll:

And why on earth are you begging for us to like you I have know Idea..
Your long term experiment here on Eplaya is coming to the end and now for you Facebook will be you new media..

Begging?? Really??? move on.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby ibdave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 am

Trishntek wrote:Okay Charlie,,,, admit it,,,,, IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!

+1

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Postby jkisha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 am

AntiM wrote:The mod area has uses. While we can strive for transparency, I don't think it hurts to have a place where mods and admin can discuss and make decisions without just anyone commenting and throwing in extraneous bitching and snark. Personally, I never thought majority rule here was any kind of a good idea. I know your opinion differs from mine on that.

My two cents:

1. Mods and Admin need an area to discuss private issues. Behind the scenes talk is nobody's business.

2. At least one trusted Mod needs to be given ALL Admin privileges in managing the board that has anything to do with end users, which includes the power to delete or suspend an account. It is ridiculous to have to "escalate" those types of decisions to "Admin" who's job should be primarily IT related to keeping the board up and running.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ibdave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:53 am

AntiM wrote:Basically, you talk at us, not to us.

Since 2003 DVD... :shock: :shock: :shock:

ibdave

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:54 am

ibdave wrote:

He's not here anymore, no use speaking to him.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ibdave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 am

AntiM wrote:
ibdave wrote:

He's not here anymore, no use speaking to him.

I'll believe it when I DON'T see him......

Details?? :shock: 8) 8)

ibdave

Postby ibdave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:18 am

AntiM wrote:Sorry, not really, that's the color of pissed off.... I don't do it often.

Besides this is all moot now, The deed is done. Stay tuned.

This deed?? 8) 8) 8)

ibdave

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 am

ibdave wrote:
AntiM wrote:Sorry, not really, that's the color of pissed off.... I don't do it often.

Besides this is all moot now, The deed is done. Stay tuned.

This deed?? 8) 8) 8)

That deed, indeed. We don't announce it, as that is declasse.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

ygmir wrote:please, excuse my confusion here, or, lack of knowledge:

Spect:

just wondering.

former mod
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:please, excuse my confusion here, or, lack of knowledge:

Spect:

just wondering.

former mod

I can see why.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:10 pm

AntiM wrote:What we do not have, which I have tried to address, is an area for official moderator to board communications. There are the feedback forums, but they are only read by a limited number of users. Many of the announcements and requests which need to be made simply do not fall within the categories.

FWIW, back in the day (early-to-mid 80s) when the Internet was primarily used by govt/edu I was the SYSOP of a modem-based BBS. The software allowed for a "news" screen that would greet all users bar none.

Come to thing of it I'm on a private board currently that is running phpBB that has this feature, in fact, it's better in that the "news" is visible on the top of the screen even when within a message thread. I know that board is running software that's several years old. Basis the info on the bottom of both boards I believe it even predates the ePlaya software:

Private board: