SHADE HELP

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

SHADE HELP

Postby redrum420 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:46 am

last year was my first burn, and every morning it was hot as hell. i need some help on ideas for a durable, simple shade structure, to keep me cool im the mornings. ill have a tent, but thats not enough. and also how to keep it in the ground securely. thanks so much for the help...
redrum420

Postby jkisha » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:02 am

these topics have been discussed ad nauseum here. browse the forums or do a few searches.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Packoderm » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:16 am

Are you needing something like this and maybe throw some camo net around the sides?

http://www.a1tarps.com/product.jhtm?id=26&cid=39
Packoderm

Postby Trishntek » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:13 am

I like what these guys have to offer. If you are able to cut your own poles purchased at the hardware store, you can have a very robust shade structure that will last for years. Here is where you can find what you need:

http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:58 am

A Monkey Hut is cool, cheap, expandable and can fit inside a fuel-efficient vehicle.

Look here for the basics

scroll down to here for more discussion
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby DrPeffer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:20 am

RTFM
DrPeffer

Postby peachandpapa » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:59 pm

I used the outfit that Trishntek recommended, canopiesandtarps.com, and their plans are easy to follow and the angles are reasonably priced. Our 20x30 structure is very solid. To save a ton of money, buy and cut your own poles. We also purchased the feet and use 12" nails to help keep it secure (plus guy lines in the corners). A canvas cover tops it off and has worked great for the past three burns...and many more to come. It has paid for itself many times over!
Go Forth and Tell the Story...
peachandpapa

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Peach's Verdant Camp

Postby redrum420 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:00 pm

thanks a lot everyone. you all helped a lot. i figure building my own will be the best bet. i like the monkey hut, hahah.
redrum420

Postby TomServo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Silver and Blue Tarps are best! I built my own canopy as well. with fittings and poles from Ace hardware. Splint the legs to t-posts or long pieces of rebar, and you should be golden.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby phil » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 pm

if heat is your problem, may I suggest getting a tarp for your shade that is totally opaque. No sun gets through at all. Zip. Keep in mind that heat comes from infrared, not UV rays. Buying something that blocks UV means you still will get the IR coming through, and that will make you hot.

Blue tarps are stiff and noisy. I don't like them. I have a silver tarp and a white rubberized canvas tarp, and they're both opaque.
phil

Postby redrum420 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 pm

[quote="TomServo"]Silver and Blue Tarps are best! I built my own canopy as well. with fittings and poles from Ace hardware. Splint the legs to t-posts or long pieces of rebar, and you should be golden.[/quote]

i like a canopy idea. with a silver tarp so the sunlight will reflect. can you elaborate a bit on how you make your canopy?
redrum420

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 am

I got canopy fittings from Ace, and cut conduit for poles. Only drawback is you wind up hauling over 5 foot poles. heres a link that I used.

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Fitting ... tting.aspx
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 am

redrum420 wrote:
TomServo wrote:Silver and Blue Tarps are best! I built my own canopy as well. with fittings and poles from Ace hardware. Splint the legs to t-posts or long pieces of rebar, and you should be golden.

i like a canopy idea. with a silver tarp so the sunlight will reflect. can you elaborate a bit on how you make your canopy?

PM sent.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Return to Shelter & Camping