Vicious rumor about free tickets.

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Vicious rumor about free tickets.

Postby willyloafofphora » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:38 pm

So I keep hearing that gate/perimeter volunteers get a free ticket to the following years event but can't find anything about it on the web site. Whats the deal? Who does get free tickets?
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.
willyloafofphora

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Typically, people who volunteer enough hours one year get a reduced price staff ticket at ~$145 the next year. In the old days (and I don't know when the switch was made) there were free tickets for some volunteers; some few may still get them.
Note: If it's not something you'd be wanting to do anyway, then it's not worth it. You end up spending a good chunk of time (four shifts and shifts can range from 6 to 8 hours depending on the department) and often money spent in one way or another to get the discount.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby bm_cricket » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Typically, people who volunteer enough hours one year get a reduced price staff ticket at ~$145 the next year. In the old days (and I don't know when the switch was made) there were free tickets for some volunteers; some few may still get them.
Note: If it's not something you'd be wanting to do anyway, then it's not worth it. You end up spending a good chunk of time (four shifts and shifts can range from 6 to 8 hours depending on the department) and often money spent in one way or another to get the discount.

I volunteered 300(?)+ hours last year for my camp. My camp gave me a ticket for this year. And I plan to do the same all over again.

That doesn't include time on playa making sure nothing explodes (that isn't supposed to) and everything gets finished when/where/how it's supposed to.

Trust me, "free" tickets exist but you pay for them one way or another. I could have worked a menial job and rented an RV with the money I would have earned. Instead the camp was that much closer to completion, there was that much more beer brewed, logistics were that much more manageable, and many, many people got to enjoy my labors. I think it's worth it.
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:43 pm

I'm going out early to bust ass to set up a large camp this year and got surprised by an offer of a free ticket.

You don't go out looking for it. It happens if you've put your time in. I've been working for this group for the last 5 years.

It's a gift and a rare one at that. You don't ask for gifts.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:14 am

No amount of cash could induce me to work shifts during the burn that I didn't want to do anyway.
Well, probably some amount.

I have been offered pay for work out there, but not by the llc.

I'm afraid to calculate what each hour there costs me.
gyre

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:26 am

Being a Black Rock Ranger used to get you a ticket for the next year's event if you worked... I forget now, I think at least 4 8-hour shifts. I don't know if they still do that. But like has been said, you definitely "pay" for it.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby ygmir » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:30 am

you got that "double finger" goin' again, CAp'n?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:34 am

Thank god you see it too.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:35 am

see what?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:26 am

One year, all the eplaya mods got gift tickets (all I know of). 2003? I'd have to look at my stub to recall the exact year. Hasn't happened again, but I was delighted the year it did. Last year I got gift tickets because it looked as though my performer tickets had gotten messed up, and I'd already gifted one of my tier ones and sold the other below cost. We made sure the extra two went into the hands of someone who couldn't have gone otherwise. A couple someones, actually.

But I always buy tickets, because gift tickets are rare and sweet.

I say I don't do gift tickets anymore, but it ends up happening in odd ways. I'm not going to mess with performer tickets again, too much of a hassle. Not at Will Call, just in general.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby misfit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:35 am

ESD will give you a ticket for the same year worked,,, minimum of 4 shifts, 8 hours per shift. volunteer 2010, ticket for 2010.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby misfit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:40 am

we also have ESD station greeter shifts avalible. little to no medical experience needed, just a friendly smile and the ability to do patient log in sheets...
misfit

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:46 pm

I would have been a natural at that if it had been available in 2002.
Oh well, water...bridge...same...river....
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Whats the deal? Who does get free tickets?

If ya gotta ask then you're probably out of the running.

Most departments will comp a ticket for the next year after one has shown commitment to volunteering during the current one.

That comes about from too many parasitic, no-load, ass-monkeys promising anything to get in and then disappearing without a trace once the sweating time starts.

I remember a long while back when Will or someone from DPW made a deal with a school bus load of bullshit blathering, shit talking hippies that bailed as soon as the first mention of work got called in after the event was over.

They couldn't have left the playa quicker if the Air Force had been dropping soap from the sky.
Isotopia

Postby Snow » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:36 pm

I've got several gift tickets over the years and none of them were in any way FREE. I actually paid more in materials and time than a few tickets each time. Don't do what you do for a gift ticket, do it because you love it and want to share it. And if you do it well, a gift ticket may find you.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Playa Foot » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 pm

I worked six shifts for Perimeter and Exodus last year and will be receiving a comp ticket this year. If you do traffic flagging for Exodus you can also get paid real money, I think it is something like ten bucks an hour, most flaggers turn it down. The Burning Man website has information on volunteering.
Playa Foot

Postby ygmir » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:25 pm

if you're volunteering, just to get a "free" ticket, as suggested above, get a part time job almost anywhere and make more money, eaisier.
Then, the boss will give you paper with a dead president on it, and, you can trade that for a free ticket.........

But, if you volunteer, because it's fun, and, you want to help..........great.
A ticket is a bonus.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:25 am

ESD comped tickets work out to a little more than minimum wage. I know of no one in ESD who does it for the comped ticket.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Bling » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:03 am

misfit wrote:we also have ESD station greeter shifts avalible. little to no medical experience needed, just a friendly smile and the ability to do patient log in sheets...

I'd be interested in this, and have some minimal medical experience (nursing assistant for 4 years--a while ago). How do I sign up?
Bling

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:46 am

Bling wrote:
misfit wrote:we also have ESD station greeter shifts avalible. little to no medical experience needed, just a friendly smile and the ability to do patient log in sheets...

I'd be interested in this, and have some minimal medical experience (nursing assistant for 4 years--a while ago). How do I sign up?

To sign up for anything, you fill out the volenteer questioneer on the main website. Some departments have more specific questioneers focusing on particular concerns of that department. ESD (Emergency Services Department) is one of those. Do it quickly. Last I knew, the deadline was effectively July 31 of whatever year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 am

You probably don't being as its a bit late in the year to get up to speed and all.

Still, email 911@burningman.com and see what comes of it.
Isotopia

Postby misfit » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:22 pm

still time to volunteer for ESD, our VC is waiting to hear from all interested.
misfit

How to get a comp ticket

Postby portaplaya » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:03 pm

First you need to find a group you can volunteer with that you will enjoy working for, because you are going to be with them for a while.

Then you have to go to training (often on-playa is available, if crowded).

Then you have to work 5 shifts that are 6-hours long. (The hours vary a little by department, PSE, Rangers and I think Greeters use this standard.) Often there is a critical shift that needs to be covered as well (e.g. Rangering on Burn Night). And you have to do well enough that they invite you back next year.

Then, if you commit to working with that team again in the next year (at least one shift), you will probably be offered a free ticket for that next year. This is after a lot of shift verification and a little number crunching back in the office in SF. If you worked less than five shifts, some departments will allow you to buy a staff ticket for $145 after you commit to working again.

If you work five shifts that year as well, you are not on the un-ending ticket parade.

However, this gift cycle is meant to encourage skilled, trained and effective people to continue to work with the departments. It is a retention tool. And a tool to get limited volunteers to cover the needed shifts over the week.

Why do people really volunteer? Giving 30 hrs of time (out of a 240 hour week for early arrivers) is not a crippling demand. In fact, unless you are in a major theme camp that has its own hour requirements, you probably want something focused to do during part of your week.

And the people that do this work rock! And the work is not shitty. (Well, ok, some of it is. But you are a volunteer, so it's easy to get work you choose to do.) And, ultimately, you are adding your own effort to the community that is Burning Man.

The event cannot happen without volunteers. Encouraging the skilled ones is useful for the org, but not required. But getting people to try a job their first year is critical, since that is the majority of the volunteers.

Really, who can't do a 6 hour shift, hanging out with some people and doing some fun work?
(Stand in an ice truck for a few hours, ah!)
(Sling coffee and dance once an hour at the Cafe)
(Climb through junk filled RVs and take tickets)
(Wander the city in a khaki hat and meet cool strangers)
(Save the worst ever event from happening to a participant by manning Medical)
(Keep crazy burners from running into the Man-fire while in a fire suit)
portaplaya

No fun in working...

Postby psychedelicsurvivor » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:26 am

I was offered a job paying 500 - 1k a day for 5 days, 12 hour shifts with free food and lodging at the Ranch. (not by the bm org). I sure could use the money, but hell with that. I want to party. Rock On!
psychedelicsurvivor

Postby JohnPaulQuilliard » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Bling wrote:

To sign up for anything, you fill out the volenteer questioneer on the main website. Some departments have more specific questioneers focusing on particular concerns of that department. ESD (Emergency Services Department) is one of those. Do it quickly. Last I knew, the deadline was effectively July 31 of whatever year.

Little fish, little fish swimming in the sea?
Did you never get a free one just because you be?

I know that is rare, a rare gift indeed?
Wasn't there a time when you said you where in need?

Oh little fish, little fish swim around the sea
Please don't tell me you forgot something so special to me.
JohnPaulQuilliard

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:11 pm

I got it. Thank you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby graidawg » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:46 am

if you get a free ticket, can you gift it? like if you've already bought one.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:04 am

OF course.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to Get Involved!