Need better solution for water evaporation

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Need better solution for water evaporation

Postby Master_Shake » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:05 pm

hi,

Last year our water evap ponds didn't work so well. I am looking for a better solution.

What forum should I be in for this?

Also, looking to build a nice solar power system. I built a small scale one for last year. Time to build a bigger collection system for electricity.

Mike
Master_Shake

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:42 pm

You probably want to find out about "wicking." I'm not sure if that's a good enough term to search on, though. Although using "evaporation pond", especially in the "Q&A, Tips and Tricks" section will get you side discussions that lead to good things. The other option is some sort of pumping over small metal things that become large surfaces in aggregate. Well that's how all the grey water systems work, really. The problem with mechanical pumping is the crap in the gray water clogs up the pump.

Have fun.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Trishntek » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi Mike and welcome to eplaya! I have some pics posted on the "Harbor Freight" Thread in Questions and Answers http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=38973&start=0 which might interest you concerning solar power.

Our evap pond worked quite well using 2x6 frame, 8 feet square, covered with black plastic stapled all around. Using a black pipe frame for showers, we would soak a towel and hang it to enhance evaporation. We also swept the water to spread it over the plastic,,,, everyone in camp would do this as they walked by the pond. It worked very nicely.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Turnip » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Take a few towels, soak up water and string them on a line over the evap pond.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby TomServo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 am

Water evapoarates at about 1 quart per hour, while boiling. Thinking about using a burn barrel to do the job...and keep us warm at the same time.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby jkisha » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:46 am

Trishntek wrote:Hi Mike and welcome to eplaya! I have some pics posted on the "Harbor Freight" Thread in Questions and Answers http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=38973&start=0 which might interest you concerning solar power.

Our evap pond worked quite well using 2x6 frame, 8 feet square, covered with black plastic stapled all around. Using a black pipe frame for showers, we would soak a towel and hang it to enhance evaporation. We also swept the water to spread it over the plastic,,,, everyone in camp would do this as they walked by the pond. It worked very nicely.

I would agree that sweeping the water in the pond after showering really works well.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby MoonSplash » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm

How big is your camp?

Wicking works wonders. There is just two of us at our little camp. The first year we went, our system of water evap sucked and we ended up carrying back 15 jugs of stinky gray water. Our second year, I brought a ton of black towels and cut up burlap I picked up at thrift stores, and used those to wick up gray water. All day long every day, we soaked up the pieces and hung to dry. Repeat ad nauseum. We only brought back 2 jugs of stinky gray water. It was worth the extra effort.
MoonSplash

Postby DB Cooper » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

parachutes are key to everything
Anyone seen my briefcase?
DB Cooper

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:53 pm

viewtopic.php?t=12911

Check it out. Would work well with 12 volt solar.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:26 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=12911

Check it out. Would work well with 12 volt solar.

Yup...that's the thread I was lookin' for to recommend. Actually, if you read through the whole thread, it goes into a VERY in depth discussion of a whole host of methods that have been tried of the years.

Can save hours of wasted effort. It was reading that thread that made my chuck my ideas and truck my water back out, leaving more time for fun stuff.

To each his/her own.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Shelter & Camping