Bikes on the playa

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

what about the bikes with shocks?

Postby maquetha » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:25 pm

[quote="Super Evil Brian"][quote="AntiM"]Larry brings sets of bearings for the Rhoadescar with him and has had to do it on the playa. Our brakes suck too, I know he has to tinker with them a lot.[/quote]

What kind of brakes does it have?

Maybe investing in high-end ceramis or simply stainless steel sealed bearings will be better, if possible.

If I can help with bike stuff, let me know.

There is [i]always[/i] a way to improve something. Maybe a human-powered jet engine? Or at least biodiesel-powered. Jet fuel is very close to kerosene, which isn't much different from diesel. Applying algebra, I think jet fuel might be sort of interchangeable with biodiesel ...

Back to the subject ...[/quote]
maquetha

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:49 pm

maquetha, if you want your italics, bold and quoting to appear, click on the "Profile" link (top center), scroll down to "Preferences" and tick the button next to "Enable BBCode".

8)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby I11I1II1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Are battery powered bikes (pedal assisted) allowed on playa?
I11I1II1

Postby unjonharley » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:56 pm

I11I1II1 wrote:Are battery powered bikes (pedal assisted) allowed on playa?

In a word yes..

Bicyle and tricycle with peddel assist electric..

Still don't know about quadacycle..
unjonharley

Re: what about the bikes with shocks?

Postby AntiM » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:23 pm

maquetha wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:
AntiM wrote:Larry brings sets of bearings for the Rhoadescar with him and has had to do it on the playa. Our brakes suck too, I know he has to tinker with them a lot.

What kind of brakes does it have?

Maybe investing in high-end ceramis or simply stainless steel sealed bearings will be better, if possible.

If I can help with bike stuff, let me know.

There is always a way to improve something. Maybe a human-powered jet engine? Or at least biodiesel-powered. Jet fuel is very close to kerosene, which isn't much different from diesel. Applying algebra, I think jet fuel might be sort of interchangeable with biodiesel ...

Back to the subject ...

I will ask him when he gets back. Disc I think, the bolts shear off (???)

If you go to your profile and enable your BBCode, your quote function will work.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

My adverse advice

Postby Gusthefuss » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:19 am

Stay away from the water trucks if you have fenders. The playa mud builds up quick on the tires and you will lock the wheels. It stopped me dead after I thought it would be cool to ride behind the water truck and get wet.
If your going to leave your bike anywhere make sure you can see it from far away. Put a flag on it or some bright fur. Lock it up to something you will remember. Not a vague landmark. make it something big.
GUS TRAV
Gusthefuss

Postby teardropper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Last year right after the rain a little sparkle pony was having trouble with her bike. The wheels were froze up with mud. She was yelling for some help. I told her there wasn't any, she''d just have to wait. Well, that didn't satisfy her, so I went over and scraped some playa mud off her tires and told her to wait, the all clear would tell here when to go. She immediately tried to ride again, she immediately froze up again and wanted more help. I, again, told there wasn't any, she'd have to carry it if she wanted to go. She whined for a while and the last I saw of her she was carrying her bike, while giving ME a dirty look. Yep. It was my fault.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Sic Pup » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:37 pm

teardropper wrote:Last year right after the rain a little sparkle pony was having trouble with her bike. The wheels were froze up with mud. She was yelling for some help. I told her there wasn't any, she''d just have to wait. Well, that didn't satisfy her, so I went over and scraped some playa mud off her tires and told her to wait, the all clear would tell here when to go. She immediately tried to ride again, she immediately froze up again and wanted more help. I, again, told there wasn't any, she'd have to carry it if she wanted to go. She whined for a while and the last I saw of her she was carrying her bike, while giving ME a dirty look. Yep. It was my fault.

WWSoPD?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Brian

If your bike is one you used as a messenger, leave it at home. Not because of corrosion, but because skinny tires will NOT WORK on the playa. Make sure you've got lights, blinkies, a basket for your cup, water, lock, and can of WD40, and a set of fat tires on that sucka
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:22 pm

Sic Pup wrote:
teardropper wrote:Last year right after the rain a little sparkle pony was having trouble with her bike. The wheels were froze up with mud. She was yelling for some help. I told her there wasn't any, she''d just have to wait. Well, that didn't satisfy her, so I went over and scraped some playa mud off her tires and told her to wait, the all clear would tell here when to go. She immediately tried to ride again, she immediately froze up again and wanted more help. I, again, told there wasn't any, she'd have to carry it if she wanted to go. She whined for a while and the last I saw of her she was carrying her bike, while giving ME a dirty look. Yep. It was my fault.

WWSoPD?

I don't think that Sic Pup could get away with asking her to give him a shower with her tongue.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:38 am

theCryptofishist wrote: I don't think that Sic Pup could get away with asking her to give him a shower with her tongue.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.

I'd settle on selected smaller areas (relatively speaking of course).

Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.... the answer is always "no" until you ask.

I'm like SoP without the tats, predatory proclivities and meglomania, but as you so astutely pointed out those are some of the things that make him so endearing.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Previous

Return to Transportation