40-60 mpg (Everyone Love's Me)
13%
60+ mpg (Only the Gods do better)
4%
I only use human powered vehicles!
5%

Total votes : 215

Postby gyre » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:48 am

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

I'd like to see sodium powered cars.
No one would want to crash.

Doesn't the bloom box use water as an energy storage medium?
Or is that the new one they're working on?
gyre

Postby can't sit still » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:17 am

Dr, you're showing your ignorance.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby dr.placebo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:21 pm

can't sit still wrote:Dr, you're showing your ignorance.

And you, CSS, are manifesting your credulity.

Now that we have the requisite ad hominem attacks out of the way, would you care to explain how using water as fuel actually works?
dr.placebo

Postby can't sit still » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Gyre, without getting into a big long explanation, the source of the energy is generally referred to as "zero point energy". There are various claims for it's density. One claim is that "if all the energy contained in 1 cubic centimeter was changed into matter, it would produce more matter than exists in the observable universe."
There are other claims;
"Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman and one of Einstein.s protigis, John Wheeler, calculated that there is more than enough energy in the volume of a coffee cup to evaporate all the worlds. oceans"
http://www.wingmakers.co.nz/Zero-Point_Energy.html
The Nobel prizes were long ago awarded for proving the existence of ZPE.. The work of Tesla on toroid transformers was followed up by Bob Boyce. It was also demonstrated in the TPU. Stan Meyers proved that an IC engine could be run on water. The current efforts are centered in reducing water to HHO rather than directly igniting it. Stan Meyers was poisoned for his efforts. He was directly igniting it. The HHO efforts of Boyce, et al are using a parallel-plate device to produce the HHO from water.
Hundreds of researchers have long ago exceeded the "Faraday Limit" at producing HHO gas.

The most interesting part of all this is the fact that we have almost NO understanding of water. It has been proven over and over that the HHO gas resulting from a certain production method [Brown's gas], can be used to remove the radioactivity from radioactive elements and isotopes. Obviously, this contradicts much of what we hold true in our beliefs of radioactivity.
The other interesting area is transmutation. Researchers put pure Palladium electrodes in pure water and apply current,,,,, cold-fusion experiments. Under later analysis, they find dozens of elements present. There is no explanation except for low energy transmutation. This too flies in the face of much of our dearly held theories.

Science understands VERY little of the properties of water.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby dr.placebo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:49 pm

The only known practical use of zero-point energy is the quantum torpedo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Torpedo#Quantum_torpedoes
dr.placebo

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:28 pm

ScanGauge II installed to monitor real time MPG, trip fuel cost, average MPG per tank and average MPG per trip. New DPFE sensor installed and code cleared. Time for better fuel economy. :)
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby can't sit still » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:12 pm

The Philippine dept of energy tested this guy's claims. Reportedly, they say that his claims are true. http://pesn.com/2011/02/27/9501773_Avis ... g_EV_Tech/
can't sit still

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:07 am

Is the price of fuel going to affect the size of the population at Burning Man this year?

I went from a truck that got 10mpg to a diesel that gets 15mpg and now that 50% increase in milage looks like it will be wiped out buy price increases.

It wont stop me from going, but what does everyone else think? :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:55 am

FIGJAM wrote:Is the price of fuel going to affect the size of the population at Burning Man this year?

I went from a truck that got 10mpg to a diesel that gets 15mpg and now that 50% increase in milage looks like it will be wiped out buy price increases.

It wont stop me from going, but what does everyone else think? :?

Croossed my mind
unjonharley

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:55 pm

I burn right at 100 gallons of diesel fuel at 10MPG to get my stuff to the burn and back.
Fuel price will probably never stop me from attending but it may limit the amount of $ I can put in to what I do at the burn. I treat my $ as a finite system not as an infinite ability to pay incurred debt in the future. At least I do recently.
Ride sharing with a little cost sharing for fuel is probably the best way to lower personal fuel costs and with the right person can make the drive more fun and safer. Carpool! Its the thing to do! MPG per person and stuff is where it is at.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby gyre » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Gas cost has kept me home before.
gyre

Postby Isotopia » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Certainly doesn't seem to have kept my across the street neighbor from staying home.

Taken two days ago.

Why does anyone feel compelled to pay for (and drive) one of these.

And yes, it does start with a 'B.'

Isotopia

Postby gyre » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:04 am

Is that a real question?

Why does anyone have sex?
Why does anyone want to enjoy the peak of any science?
Or the best instrument of any type?

More specifically, that is a very heavy car, but supposed to be stunningly easy to drive fast.
Some take more skill.
Depending on the model, it may be stunningly quick too, in spite of the weight.

There are other ways to go.

gyre

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:08 am

Fuel prices for our personal vehicle won't keep us home. LOL, no carpooling as we're already maxed out with cargo and um, me. However, if fuel goes too high, it directly affects MyLarry's job. Higher prices mean less construction means less steel hauling, means lower paychecks. We'll still go, we just will cut back on other things. Probably my new front room floors and the bath remodel.

Hey, we just bought a Harley. So we're not broke. But we could be.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks for the responces.

I was going for more of an oppinion of weather anyone thinks it will be a "make or break" for a % of newbies that make up such a large part of the BM pop?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:53 am

I think a few might decide to party closer to home. Those who want to make the trek for the art, the people, the perceptions and expectations, they will attend no matter the cost.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby can't sit still » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:02 am

Last time that oil peaked, gas got real expensive,,,,, consumption decreased and the price crashed. This time is different because of the civil war in Libya. Various other Middle-Eastern states are in various states of unrest. I would expect the price to crash before the Burn but, the civil strife doesn't look to be dying out. Saudi said that they would ramp-up production to make up for the loss of part of Libyan production. Saudi can not ramp up production because they are fast running out of oil.
Wiki shows the 2008 spike and fall. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_energy_crisis
As long as the pot is boiling in the Middle-east, crude will probably remain high.
can't sit still

Postby can't sit still » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:16 pm

This is a good paper showing where and how OPEC grossly lied about their oil reserves;
http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=12268
can't sit still

Postby can't sit still » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:32 pm

There are lots of headlines about $ 150 --- $ 200 a barrel crude oil. It appears that the oil speculators are trying to get everyone to sign high $ forward contracts before the price crashes. The oil producers are producing 3 --- 5 million barrels a day more than is being consumed. Last time that this happened, the speculators will filling every oil tanker that they could find to prolong the price spike. The spike cuts consumption and makes the fall even harder.
Don't buy any fuel for 3---4 months and you will get a much better deal. :D
can't sit still

Postby can't sit still » Sun May 01, 2011 8:36 am

Y'all may have noticed that gas prices have gone up recently. There are supply problems with crude oil that have raised prices. The oil companies have used this as an excuse to make even higher profits.
"June Crude gained $1.64 to $113.93 (up 25%). June Gasoline rose 3.9% (up 39%)"
http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php/cr ... t_id=10531
Exxon profits are up 69% over last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVWp97FuaU
Supplies have only declined slightly but, the perception of war in the middle-East has been a useful excuse to jack up prices. I read that speculators add $ 27 a barrel to the cost.

The price hike is the direct fault of the FED. The FED made Saudi-held treasury bonds fall in value from all the printing. Evidently, the Saudis agreed to keep buying bonds if the oil price remains elevated.
"so by process of elimination, the only ones with that kind of cash are the oil producing nations. That game can only go on as long as the Fed keeps pumping up the price of gas."
http://www.philstockworld.com/2011/04/2 ... d-for-ben/
Y'all may want to go out and buy a car that runs on natural gas.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=cng
:D :D :D
can't sit still

Postby unjonharley » Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 am

\
I'm spending less per month for gas than I did last year..

A dallor puts the bike on the front of a city bus for a day pass..So I peddle short to of rout places.. Or to catch another bus rout..
unjonharley

Postby can't sit still » Sat May 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Seems that diesel is the best way to go. "BMW 320Ed small executive saloon managed 64.2 miles to the gallon - ahead of the Prius's 61.4mpg"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1LhrREgq5
can't sit still

Postby can't sit still » Mon May 16, 2011 9:14 pm

This is a new concept in diesel engines. Needs some refining;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WN_ziute-c
can't sit still

Postby gyre » Fri May 20, 2011 7:14 am

gyre

Postby can't sit still » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:22 pm

This is fantastic news for electric cars.
http://beta.news.yahoo.com/mit-figures- ... 3QD;_ylv=3

If the mods want to convert to "tiny URL", that's fine with me.
can't sit still

Re: How Fuel efficient is your car?

Postby can't sit still » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Here's a new concept for a "million mile" car;
http://gas2.org/2011/08/11/thorium-powe ... ESWiki.com
can't sit still

Postby unjonharley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Check out Oglemobile or ogelmobile.. bout 1947 100mpg..

The inventor sold the car then was found dead in the desert..

Newspapers carried this story in Tx. n the forty's..

The gas was heated.. The engine ran off the fumes..

It didn't say how much it took to heat the gas..
unjonharley

Postby can't sit still » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Harley, I've looked at the Oglemobile. The heated gas was a step ahead of the vapor carburettors. It was excellent engineering.
can't sit still

Postby can't sit still » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm

can't sit still

Re:

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Isotopia wrote:

Here's a car more to my taste.
Extremely light and simple by comparison, but executed with the same level of engineering sophistication.

Virtually polar opposites in design philosophy.

gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion