Fitting a kodiak tent in a monkey hut

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Fitting a kodiak tent in a monkey hut

Postby andy9999 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:24 am

Hi guys, didn't want to hijack someone else's monkey hut thread...

It will be my first time at burning man, and we have a kodiak (9x8, 4 person) tent. I'd like to build a monkey hut for shade above it, but the tent is essentially a 6'6" tall box. I'm thinking of two possible solutions:

1. Use the connectors diagrammed in viewtopic.php?t=35870 , and have each rib constructed of 2 lengths of 6.25'.
-Possible issues: too unstable? and need an awkward tarp size.
-Maybe I can use shorter lengths but reduce the footprint for a taller structure?

or
2. Regular size monkey hut (still need the connectors to fit the PVC in the car), but create the shadeflap for a tarp to cover the tent
- My main question with this is on the lovemonkey site, it doesn't seem like there is any space between the tent and the tarp. How do people create the necessary gap to let air flow between the two?

I am thinking we can make it work by connecting the tarp from the hut to our rental sedan, but we would need something to space the tarp above the tent. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
andy9999

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:57 pm

This is something that should have been experimented with 2 weeks to 4 months ago...

You will need to make the monkey hut slightly taller then the lovemonkey one...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby BurningRando » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:15 pm

How about four 2x4s, 12 pieces of rebar, a 12 x 24 tarp or shade cloth, dozen 12" nails, and 200' of rope.

A hammer would be good to have and some visegrip pliers.

Do you know how to tie knots?
BurningRando

Postby andy9999 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:34 pm

[quote="Fire_Moose"]This is something that should have been experimented with 2 weeks to 4 months ago...
[/quote]

Very true... I am flying to California wednesday and will buy the supplies and built/test it there before driving to BM, but you are right it doesn't allow for much time to tweak and test if something goes wrong.
andy9999

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Why do I feel like this is one fo those problems with the fox and the corn and the boat?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:43 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Why do I feel like this is one fo those problems with the fox and the corn and the boat?

so many problems remind me of that. must be an ancient root metaphor.

the planerian , the algae, and the ray of sunlight.
Elorrum

Postby robotland » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:32 am

Can you fit a Grizzly into a Chimp Shack?
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby BurningRando » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:30 am

The circumference of a 1/2 circle is pi*radius.

Your PVC when assembled is 20' = pi*r

r = 20/pi ==> r = 6'3"

So instead of pounding your rebar 12'6" apart, pound it in 10' apart and that will make your hut taller.

Or get rebar that is 1' longer, pound it in at the normal 12'6" spacing, cut 1' pipe length of extra pipe and slide it on the rebar first as a shim, then put the 20' rib on under tension. Duct tape them.

Then do this:

BurningRando

Postby andy9999 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:13 am

>> "So instead of pounding your rebar 12'6" apart, pound it in 10' apart and that will make your hut taller."

Thanks bud, problem with that is i don't just need peak height, but for 8 feet across. Its okay though, I have the calculations on what lengths and spacing I need for it to fit.

My main question is how people space the tarp from the "shade flap" over their tent to maintain circulation, the lovemonkey site seems to show no gap, which from my reading thus far seems to defeat it's purpose.
andy9999

Postby gjenkins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Hey Andy, how did this work out for you? I am thinking of the exact same set-up.
gjenkins

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Bluemandrew reported using a simpler connection for cut-in-half Monkey Hut legs, apparently with good success both on-playa and off; you can read the whole discussion here or just read his post:

Bluemandrew wrote:I am happy to report that we cut all of our 10 foot monkey hut poles in half and had great success.

We made sleeves to reattach the 5 foot sections together using 2 foot sections of 1 1/4 inch PVC with a screw driven into the middle (so it would not slide down the pole it was on)

We anchored the hut to the ground using only the pieces of rebar recommended in the instructions. We added an extra 5 foot section to the structure as well.

We used a ton of bungie balls to attach a big piece of custom cut shade cloth to it, and did not anchor it to the ground at all. We did put a few very tight bungies wherever we could though on the parts of the cover closest to the legs/rebar

We used quite a few bungies going parallel to the roof supports too, to pull them all together.

We did use a shade cloth, which was 90% light blicking, but still allowed air through. I think this lead to a much cooler structure during the day. I had assumed that the breathable cloth would cause less wind force on the structure, and that may be true, but when talking to the manufacturer (http://www.thenaturalhome.com/shadecloth.htm) about another project, the told me to use the same wind load calculations as a solid surface.

We actually have had it up it the backyard since February, and we even have a normal tarp over part of it now. We live in CT, so we don't have playa-wind to test it, but it handled the end of a snowy winter and a crazy New England spring with no issues.

My biggest caveat about cutting the PVCthough, is that it takes up ALOT of room once you cut it. We stuffed it (and a lot of other stuff) into a Neon for the drive, and while it fit, the monkey hut (and shade cloth) probably took up the most space of everything we had.

I am planning to try this method with Alunimet and a hut big enough to get air around a 9'x9' Eureka dome dent, 6' high. Test run in a few weeks; I hope; I can let you know how my measurements work out.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

update

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 am

Well the 5 foot sections (2 per 10-ft leg) give me plenty of air space over my 9x9x6 ft tall tent, although the rainfly will be poking into the netting on the sides.

But, I wanted to pass along a big HOORAY for the Bluemandrew connector method. He says (above) he puts a screw in the leg section connectors to keep the pipe from slipping through, which is a great idea, so I decided to use an eye-bolt there, to give me a handy place to hang stuff. 8)

So then my brother-in-law, after watching me yesterday struggling to bend a 20-ft long set of legs over onto the rebar stakes ("Don't help me!" I told him) this DIY genius suggested I hook one of the bungees between the 2 eyebolts on the legs BEFORE I set them up :oops: so I had a nice neat hoop that went into place bing-bing-bing, easy-peasy, no more awkward struggling! And my cord to hold the spine together was right there. 8)

Hooray!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Packoderm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm sure that this is all settled and built by now, but I just wanted to try out this graphics app for the first time.

It looks like each arc of PVC will have to be 289.04" for the wall of the Monkey Hut to just to clear the corners of the tent.

Packoderm

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:32 pm

I'm just trying to fit more animals into this word problem. Goats and foxes seem to do well in these things, but I"m not sure how to justify their inclusion.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Mojojita » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm just trying to fit more animals into this word problem. Goats and foxes seem to do well in these things, but I"m not sure how to justify their inclusion.

Don't forget the cannibal and the missionary
Mojojita

Postby gaminwench » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:26 pm

if there's a missionary, there must be a serpent...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:53 pm

I know that we are supposed to be radically inclusive, but really, a missionary? You know he's going to be running around the desert at night telling passionate couples that the man goes on top.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:53 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I know that we are supposed to be radically inclusive, but really, a missionary? You know he's going to be running around the desert at night telling passionate couples that the man goes on top.

Unless he's a Mormon, then he and his partner would be telling passionate couples they aren't supposed to do that unless they're making babies, bringing souls into the church. At least they would be on bikes.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby DanusLight » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 am

The Monkey Hut - great little place in Nicaragua!
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 am

Kodiak or Springbar tents should be stiff enough to support a large piece of netting draped over the back side and staked down. For a front vestibule, could drape it over hoops zip-tied to the cloth, a conduit frame, military surplus poles & spreaders, or an easy-up type awning. I don't see a huge advantage in airspace over the tent, but you could stuff a couple of foam pool noodles in between the netting and the roof of the tent.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Packoderm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:17 pm

I'd just put one of these over it and then drape camo net or whatever over that.

Packoderm

Return to Shelter & Camping