A Question About Tents

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Mitch wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:If you watch the specials on the Cabelas website, you can get them shipped free or for very little throughout the year. As in like right now through March 01 they have free shipping on any orders over $150.

But there's probably tax on top of that?

Depends on whether or not they have a store in your state.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Packoderm » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:41 pm

One thing I do with my best tent that I believe extends its useful life is to unpack it when I get home from camping and hang it over a closet door in a spare room until until I plan to use it again. I do the same thing with the rain fly.
Packoderm

Postby Trishntek » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Problem is, my spare room IS the tent!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby pirotechnics » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:12 am

While I'm a burning man virgin, I have done many Australian bush / outback festivals in many different tents.

One thing I have learnt over the collection of my experiences is: a plan is good, an ability to adapt is better.

In other words, just pick a tent and go with the flow. We can't predict everything which is just as well coz where would the excitement of the unknown be if we could.

I've had poles & zips break, flys tear & various other tent fails & even flash floods. Sometimes a tent fail can work in your best intrest and result in getting to better know your fellow campers ;-)
pirotechnics

Burning Since: 2011

Postby socks » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:36 pm

I use the cheap tents that i buy from big 5 sporting goods.The run me 30 dollars or so.I like the smaller profile tents to avoid as much of the wind as i can.The first years i had a 3 room tent that got hit with 65 mile winds and ripped a seam while we were on the playa.Not so much fun to come back to camp and find a inch of dust in the tent.A good tip is when you leave your tent spread a sheet across your stuff inside the tent to keep the dust off your shit.My cheap tents last about 4 to 5 burns before i retire them.
socks

Postby haolegolucky » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:05 pm

My 8'x9' Walmart tent has been out there five years straight (first year in another tent that failed miserably...) Cost me $30 if I remember correctly. I spent another $10 on a few yards of cheap material and some fabric glue and it is pretty much dust free minus what comes in on my feet.

Just take care of shit, and it'll take care of you.
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping