Have you used one of these?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby skibear » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:47 am

AntiM wrote:They're a hit and miss item. In stock at ours here in Ogden right now, big with the scouters.

Everything is hit or miss at Costco. They rotate stuff in and out at
an alarming rate. If you see what you want better buy fast.

You can even order a casket for your funeral at certain times.
LOL
skibear

Postby Martiansky » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:05 pm

I looked at the coleman ovens on amazon and it looks like theres 2 different styles.
One says aluminum and one had a model number and said it was aluminized steel.

I don't know if it makes a difference. The aluminized steel one costs $6 more.
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby maryanimal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 am

I havn't checked amazon yet. I really like the Camp Chef stove/oven. I'm holding out for that unless I find a stove/oven fron a travel trailer. :wink:
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 am

The coleman stove I have is almost never seen at discount stores.
Seems to be aluminum.

I love my Dometic stove.
The broiler is the best I have ever used and the temperature regulation is dead accurate on a forty year old stove.
I was cooking mushroom puffs during the long power outage we had.
Made a change.
We had a derecho come through.
gyre

Postby Martiansky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:44 am

When I type in Camp Chef on the Costco site it shows an outdoor movie screen! :lol:

But if you just do an over all search for them on your pc you can bring them up at many places.
Although not as cheap as AntiM says they are at the costco near her.
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby maryanimal » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Martiansky wrote:When I type in Camp Chef on the Costco site it shows an outdoor movie screen! :lol:

But if you just do an over all search for them on your pc you can bring them up at many places.
Although not as cheap as AntiM says they are at the costco near her.

I got the indoor movie screen too. I've looked at a lot of sites for the Camp Chef. I will be bringing one but holding out for a few months. :P
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby wraith » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 am

Hey, CapSmashy, how bad is that thing on propane? I can survive on canned crap with my backpacking burner, but I cook for a living and for fun, and if it is worth the propane, I might try and get one of those.

Nothing could be better than fresh-baked pretzels at 3am post-party.
wraith

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:56 am

They aren't bad at all on fuel. We have yet to empty the big tank, and we've used it repeatedly at three events. (B-man, regional, and a camp out). At Burning Man we made fresh biscuits almost every morning, and several batches of cookies later in the evening. Once Larry gets it heated up, he tends to cook in large batches to share.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 pm

wraith wrote:Hey, CapSmashy, how bad is that thing on propane? I can survive on canned crap with my backpacking burner, but I cook for a living and for fun, and if it is worth the propane, I might try and get one of those.

For most of our camp dinners, we were using the oven, at least one of the top burners and a the big two burner camp chef with some combination of the grill box, griddle, etc. Breakfast was usually handled on the big two burner stove.

From Friday pre event to Monday post event, we might have emptied one 20 pound cylinder between the oven and the big stove. They got used a lot.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby jkisha » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:58 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
wraith wrote:Hey, CapSmashy, how bad is that thing on propane? I can survive on canned crap with my backpacking burner, but I cook for a living and for fun, and if it is worth the propane, I might try and get one of those.

For most of our camp dinners, we were using the oven, at least one of the top burners and a the big two burner camp chef with some combination of the grill box, griddle, etc. Breakfast was usually handled on the big two burner stove.

From Friday pre event to Monday post event, we might have emptied one 20 pound cylinder between the oven and the big stove. They got used a lot.

We must have the exact same setup.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:15 am

We weren't cooking hot meals for a crowd.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby StevenGoodman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:29 pm

CapSmashy wrote:

My two burner stove was also part of this kitchen. I used one 1lb tank of propane in a week and a half!

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:50 am

StevenGoodman wrote:My two burner stove was also part of this kitchen. I used one 1lb tank of propane in a week and a half!

Martini Steve

Very true! We actually replaced the cylinder on yours at least once.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Previous

Return to Food & Drink