PLS add a 'General' forum in each year category. ie 2011

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

PLS add a 'General' forum in each year category. ie 2011

Postby Lucidvegas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 pm

Hello. I dunno. Sometimes I want to chit chat. Maybe even make some friends. The other forums don't really work out, or make sense. What would be perfect is simply a 'general' forum under each year.

Of course the current year would fill up with general post, then probably die after the following year, but it would be a WONDERFUL resource for people to go on there for things other than Q and A and theme camp forums.

For example, I was going to ask if there will be anyone coming from Oregon with a tomato plant in their back yard. I've had a few of those tomatoes once in my life and I never knew a tomato was so good. Was gonna trade :) The best spot for this would be in a general forum in my opinion.

Thanks for having a section to post ideas!
Lucidvegas

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:07 pm

the "open discussion" area already exists here on this board, re-wording it would serve no purpose.

viewforum.php?f=56
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Lucidvegas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:42 pm

I think that is incorrect. The open discussion varies widly with many things including things not related to burning man, especially that year's burning man.

It would be very simple to make a 'general' discussion under each year, thus giving people a place to socialize off topic, or perhaps even on topic, about burning man. Most of it would be on topic.

I think that is a prime example of why it should be there, and why it would be useful, and serve a purpose.

Here is another example off the top of my head:

I'm feeling pretty emotional at times about burning man. The people reading Q n A know I'm a newb with a lot of questions. I'd like to maybe make a little post about how I feel while I'm trolling the forums and doing my homework. And about how much I would like to thank the people who have been giving input and helping out on the forums. Perhaps that would be the place I arrange a meeting with these sherpas to say thank you in person.

The best place for all that would probably be in a 'general' section under 2011. Or perhaps you would call it an 'open discussion' section under 2011. That way I stay out of the Q n A, out of the Theme camp discussion, and out of the "open discussion" area which is filled with junk not related to 2011's event.

Again just my opinion on it. Plus I want to use it.....
Lucidvegas

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm not sure I understand why the PM does'nt suit that purpose. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:14 pm

Asking for a tomatoe plant from Oregon would absolutely fall under the open discussion thread, and so would your thanking whomever you want to thank.

You are still making no sense as to why you think "general" and "open" discussions would be different in thier content.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:25 pm

Lucid-

You are basically asking to have something added to make life easier for you, regardless of the way the board is set up. If you have a question about the event itself, post it under 2011- just find the category that seems to be the right one.

If what you want to ask isn't event specific, it goes into Open Discussion.

It's been that way for as long as I can remember (which is 7+ years on here) and it's worked fine. You'll get used to it.

Consider it your introduction to the playa- when things don't work the way you want or expect, how do you deal with the situation? Whining is not an option.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Lucidvegas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Eric- I'm asking for it because I think it would help the community. It honestly was one of the first thing I noticed when I started really getting into the forums and stuff. Then later on after I started posting I felt again as though there was something missing in the forums.

You said if I had a question post it under 2011 in the appropriate category. One of my original arguments was that when something perhaps might not be a question, the "appropriate category" would be in a 2011 'open discussion'.

You said you've been using it for 7+ years and it has worked fine. I'm not trying to fix something that isn't broke.....but perhaps eplaya can evolve the way the real playa does.

/shrug

Oneeyeddick - You said I am still making no sense as to why I think 'general' and 'open' discussion would be different in their content.

I'm very sure that if there WAS two seperate 'general/open discussions' forums, the current one, and if you put one in the 2011 area, they would be very different in content.

The 2011 would be more focused on energies for THAT year. Discussion regarding the event itself, not the wildness that is in the other 'open discussion'.

Hey, if I'm wrong I'm wrong. I don't think there is a right or a wrong....although I think an eplaya evolution would be welcomed and useful ultimately. And what would it hurt if it was made? I don't think it would 'split' an important focus on the current 'open discussion'. If anything it would just add one more tool, one more resource for people to use.

Eric - "Consider it your introduction to the playa- when things don't work the way you want or expect, how do you deal with the situation? Whining is not an option."

I found this forum, which was made for people to post feature requests so I posted my suggestion. I'm hardly whining about the situation. If you think so please understand you are reading my comments incorrectly. I'm going to debate my point as I think I'm correct, but I don't care so much as to 'whine'. I don't 'whine' . I drink wine, I serve wine, but I don't do it , especially on forums :)

Lets be friends :)
Lucidvegas

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 pm

There's always the option of starting a general discussion thread to one of the sub-fora.

What no one has said yet is that it is highly likely that even if everyone on the board agreed with you, it still wouldn't happen, because the people who make these decisions don't really have much to do with this board.

Some of us thrive as the bastard, red-headed, step-children of the llc. But then I like flying under the radar. ~shrug~

Edited to make sense.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lucidvegas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:28 pm

That's fine too. I just noticed that section of the forum tonight so I thought it would be fun to post the idea circling around. I don't know the inner workings of BM as I'm a virgin, just trying to participate.

Sad no one agrees with me lol. But ah well hehe. I suck at most things anyways.
Lucidvegas

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:23 am

Lucidvegas wrote: I suck at most things anyways.

You will fit right in here just fine then.

Welcome.
oneeyeddick

Postby Major Krash » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:12 am

...we are too busy bushwacking birgins to notice that this board might be dysfunctional....

Welcome Home!
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Postby gyre » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:28 am

I think what you are getting at is the lack of conversational threads here.
I've tried to encourage more of this myself, but there is a sort of habituation to the stiffer format.
I really notice the difference after being on other forums with more social conversation.

A different layout would help, but it's mostly habit.

Some forums even have threads or areas just for random chitchat.
The bar is the closest thing to that here.
gyre

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:18 am

If you just want daily chit-chat about whatever, there's already threads going on for that. For hundreds of pages.

If you want to ask about a tomato, post the question.

If you want to talk about your feelings, start a thread on that, start a blog (like my AWESOME one linked to in my signature) or, once again, start a thread on it.

We're a DO-ocracy, a ha ha ha...
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:24 am

seriously if you hadnt noticed vegas the threads here go all over the place anyway, i think its like a conversation at a bar while drunk you throw your comments in whenever/wherever they seem to fit someone somewhere will pick up on it, or just pm one of the regulars (maybe not sotp as he may scare you off)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Dork » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 am

theCryptofishist wrote:What no one has said yet is that it is highly likely that even if everyone on the board agreed with you, it still wouldn't happen, because the people who make these decisions don't really have much to do with this board.

Actually this is a minor enough thing that I could do it on my own without getting permission. I can't change the lost and found structure because that's how the person who handles those things wants it, and grand sweeping changes might be difficult as well, but little ones here and there wouldn't be a problem.

I've always hated the way the topics are set up but haven't changed them because I know I'll get yelled at just like the OP is now. My suggestion would be to add general and share resources folders to the year sections for discussions related specifically to that year's event. Thoughts?
Dork

Postby jkisha » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:54 am

A yearly general discussion forum might also help prevent old threads from being inadvertently replied to and resurrected. I don't think it is an idea that should just be dismissed out out of hand.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:04 pm

So, Dork, why is the order of the sub-fora in each year's folder changed? Or is it just totally the random order in which someone remembers them?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Lucidvegas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:54 pm

A yearly general discussion forum might also help prevent old threads from being inadvertently replied to and resurrected. I don't think it is an idea that should just be dismissed out out of hand.

Good point.

My suggestion would be to add general and share resources folders to the year sections for discussions related specifically to that year's event. Thoughts?

I absolutely agree. My vote is yes of course. And that isn't just for selfish reasons.....I think it would be good for the community. If this is a do acracy. Let's do it! Or better put, lets try it? I really don't see what it could hurt. If anything it just 'organizes' posts a tad.

"Am I dreaming!?"
Have a lucid dream! [/quote]
Lucidvegas

Postby Lucidvegas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:14 pm

I was reading EmilyD's post on "Costume and Crafting help." posted under Q n A.

She says,

I tried to find a thread for help and support regarding costumes, sewing, fabric, and crafting but wasn't able to find one specifically designed for that. So, here it is. Many of us here know a lot about sewing and using fabric, others want info and help with using these materials so let the sharing begin. Also, please feel free to post about anything you're working on.

trystanthegypsy Says, about 5 post down from EmilyD's,

I would actually love a whole sub-forum on costumes & crafting, so we could have specific topics. but then i'm a sewing geek.

Here is another example in my lil' opinion of how the eplaya can evolve ever so slightly to better serve US.

A "Costumes, Sewing, fabric, crafting" Section under "Preperation" ?

One could argue, "Well, why do you just break it down to every sub category."

But I think if you keep it simple, and just add a few forums here and there, maybe just a couple....it would help. It would produce better, more fluent communication.

This would again be just a, 'tweak' . Not a big deal.
Lucidvegas

Postby Dork » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, Dork, why is the order of the sub-fora in each year's folder changed? Or is it just totally the random order in which someone remembers them?

I just go in and copy the previous year's forums one by one in no particular order. By the time I'm done I'm so frustrated by how many steps there are in the process that I don't feel like prettying it up.

They're in whatever order I happens to create them in.
Dork

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Dork wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:So, Dork, why is the order of the sub-fora in each year's folder changed? Or is it just totally the random order in which someone remembers them?

I just go in and copy the previous year's forums one by one in no particular order. By the time I'm done I'm so frustrated by how many steps there are in the process that I don't feel like prettying it up.

They're in whatever order I happens to create them in.

you know, that answer makes such perfect sense I'm ashamed I didn't anticipate it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:18 pm

I think a new Share Resources would be best each year. The posts there tend to be limited time offers, and I have to weed it out each year to kill old rideshare offers.

Perhaps an annual bar thread would work nicely for the newbs?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lucidvegas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Agreed Anti M :)
Lucidvegas

Return to Feature Requests