rental companies

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

rental companies

Postby darthppringles » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:32 am

Hello!

Ive never been to burning man before but this year im going with two other friends. We are traveling from sweden to san francisco, where we want to rent a truck, van, wagon, bus, rv, whatever, so we have some kind of shelter while we're at the event. ive never been camping before and to do it for the first time at BM, probably tent is not the best idea.

Ive been looking through this site and also have contacted many rental companies, but without any luck. Most companies lists burning man as a forbidden area. RVs are too expensive.

So im wondering, do you guys know a burning man friendly company that will rent, and isnt too expensive?

If you have other tips on how to handle the living situation at burning man, please share them too. all tips are welcome.

thanks in advance.
darthppringles

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:22 am

Ask and ye shall receive..

Well, sometimes. This time though.. you're in luck. Read through this:

viewtopic.php?t=37536

Ask any questions you may have.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:27 am

Have you considered other cities as your gateway? Salt Lake City, UT or Boise, ID may be better options. Even Las Vegas. Or not, if you really want to go to San Francisco.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 am

Whoops.. didn't see that they were coming in and out of SFO. Yeah, this information is from Reno. Are you dead set on flying in and out of San Francisco?

There are a few burner friendly box truck rental places in the bay area, just the gas and mileage are going to be a fun one. I would almost rent a car one way to and from Reno and skip over those fees and trouble and just get the truck in Reno instead. Just an idea..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:39 am

If you're willing to fly into Sacramento, or get to Sacramento via BART and Amtrak from SFO (which is how I usually go) the manager of the local AVIS/Budget dealership is very burner friendly and his rates usually are better than his competition. And he doesn't rape you for cleaning charges as long as you make some kind of an effort to clean it. A run through at any local full-service car wash is satisfactory. You can likely rent passanger vans or 7-person minivan from him. PM me if you're interested. I have heard back from a number of very satisified customers.

Doc Pyro, Mayor Barbie Death Village
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Rilopie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 am

If you go through hotwire.com I've heard the Oakland airport is pretty good.
Rilopie

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:42 pm

The drive down from Seattle is always scenic and fun.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:49 pm

I just had a work meeting with a rep from Penske in West Sacramento, and of course Burning Man came up in convo. He said they are burner UN-friendly because some of the box trucks that came back had burns inside the boxes, and were just over all trashed. So they've now blacked out week+ rentals for that time of year.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby darthppringles » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:46 pm

thanks for all the replies! im looking through the other thread and reading about how other people have solved the living situation. so renting a truck sounds cheap and simple.

we're flying from copenhagen directly to san francisco, total stay 14 days, where 7-8 of them we will be at burning man. we can probably take a bus/train from SF to RENO and rent the truck from Reno, if that will be easier and cheaper? i just thought that picking up the truck in SF and returning it there would be easier. ive never been to california or nevada before so all this is new for me. i looked at google maps and the distance between SF and BRC didnt seem long.

im very new to Burning man and it was all a very impulsive move. i had heard about this event when i was kid, but forgot about it and then two months ago i randomly stumbled upon a video of it. showed it two friends and we just booked our planetickets and BM ticket.

ive been in contact with many rental companies but many of them doesnt allow us to drive the van/truck to BM. so im just wondering if you guys know any companies that allows the truck to be at burning man.
darthppringles

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:10 pm

There are burner friendly rentals in Reno. You can take Amtrak from SF to there. Our friend did it, then we picked her up.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Boijoy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:31 pm

does Amtrak go straight thru to Reno??
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby lucky420 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:36 pm

I know it did about 3 years ago. I am pretty sure it still does...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Amtrak does go from SF to Reno, but in the form of a bus. It takes 2 buses (one connection) or 3 buses (2 connections) and 7-8 hours total, depending on when.

Amtrak.com!
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:33 pm

There is one direct train a day in each direction. I think it's the California Zephyr. It goes on to Chicago.
I took it in 09. There are problematic aspects, but those don't pertain to people with legs.
And of course, you have to keep the schedule.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Ah! The California Zephyr still runs on Sunday August 28th (for example) if one is willing to leave from nearby Emeryville (35 min away), or take Amtrak's bus to Emeryville and get the Zephyr there.

I would take great pains to avoid transfers. I can just envision a bag or two not quite making it.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 am

Savannah wrote:Amtrak does go from SF to Reno, but in the form of a bus. It takes 2 buses (one connection) or 3 buses (2 connections) and 7-8 hours total, depending on when.

Amtrak.com!

If you're used to public transportation, that isn't so bad. They'd only have their luggage until Reno, where they'd take a cab to the rental agency, then pick up their truck and do their shopping.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Return to Shelter & Camping