The Pier

Postby googbox » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:36 pm

AntiM just reminded me-- you know when you're walking along venice beach, there are always various artists sitting there painting? Oooh I hope the Pier inspires people to come out and paint or draw charicatures (sp) as well as all the performance stuff we're hoping for.
googbox

Postby Sheyanah » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:43 am

What a great idea!! Would love to help out with the construction/decorating of said pier... my fiance & I have our kitchen decorated w/ a pirate theme, complete with quite a bit of ship-type roping, fishing net, & seaweed (fake) galore... we also have treasure chests & the like... if you would want to make use of some of our resources we'd be happy to share... msg me for more info!
"I gotta go google some goggles."
Sheyanah

Postby zcassidy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:32 am

fbcota, I don't want to give too much away but I am in the process of making a few signs for this project. They will all relate to the pier, the playa, and burningman in different ways. Some are silly, some are more contemplative, some are both! I will post some pics when I have finished a few.... Oh, and I imagine I will be at the pier daily for morning and/or evening strolls so count me in for lending a hand while I'm around!
Be absurd with your goodness
zcassidy

Postby foofurr » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 am

I just found this thread and I am seriously loving this idea. Would love to help with the build on and off playa if you need it. High five on this one!
foofurr

Postby Morianna » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:18 pm

I absolutely Love this idea! I'm a prop master so if there are any props in need of constructing I can help you out :)
Smile for life :)
Morianna

Postby fbcota » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:22 am

Update: Grant is sent! Yay. We are planning our big fundraiser for mid May at the Underground in Reno. Should be a killer party. Calling it Cirque De Mar and it will be a nautical themed circus midway with about 4 live bands and 6 DJ's, weird carnival games, 50ft of The Pier, and a whole lot of burner art, mutant vehicles and happy people. We are hoping we can make it as cool as Yuri's night (Jellyfish sets a pretty high water mark with that one). A sister event in Reno.

Meat Calendar is looking holy moly incredible. Should be done in April to raise some money. Should be starting kickstarter soon. Ohh, if your in Reno for the Vampire crawl (Feb 12th) come by Red Rock for sexy vampires. Lots of sexy friends in Vamp costumes that you can take pictures with for $5 (all the money goes to the pier)

Ok, enough self promo :p
fbcota

Postby fbcota » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:36 am

Morianna: You are a god send. We are trying to figure out some of the more unique decor for the surface of The Pier now and we were kinda lost at how to tackle it. We want anything we make to look just right (aged, complete). Send me an email mrshultz (at) gmail (dot) co m . Maybe we can brainstorm some ideas :)

foofurr: Shoot me an email. We always need more hands!

zcassidy: Soooo excited to hear about the signs. Keep them secret from me. I think its allot more fun to see them for the first time on the Playa. I love a mix of silly and contemplative. Only rule is they should be encouraging. So less "Don't do X" or "No X" and more "Please do X" and "Feel free to do X". Unless of course its hilarious, or its warning people not to ride segways down the thing or reminding people of spintery pain wood :p.

Sheyanah: Wow! I sent you a message. Shoot me an email when you can and lets talk. Everything you listed sounds perfect. However, I am unsure how safe all the items will be on The Pier. So lets try to discuss, use things that you arn't going to be too heart broken if they grow legs and try to find ways to secure most of the items!

googbox: YES! Would be so great to have a woman standing on the Pier painting a picture of a Timothy Leary inspired ocean! I think an art day in the event planner would be super cool on the Pier. Maybe just a free form thing. "DIY, BYOA art on The Pier Noon-2pm"

Everyone, you have made me smile a big smile :). Its amazing watching this project become more then just an idea. I love the feedback and involvement from everyone. Its no longer "my" art project. It is now "everyones"!!!
fbcota

Re: The Pier

Postby Super Evil Brian » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 am

fbcota wrote:Well, its time to go big.

I'm building a 300ft long south east asian style pier next year. About 6ft wide and 300ft long, it will start on the playa and rise at about a 2.5 degree angle making the end about 12 ft tall. The pier itself will be built from a mix of new wood (for the frame itself) new and old poles and reclaimed decking and wood to give it an old, 3rd world feeling.

There should be benches, fishing poles, ropes, nets ,old broken boats "half-burried" in the playa, crab traps, bells and maybe even a viewfinder. Its kinda on theme, but for me its more of a location. A large part of a temporary autonomous zone. A meeting spot. A large shade structure. A place for ferry service. A party. Some hippie fishing. Whatever the community can come up with.

Thoughts? (I'm about 90% on building it, just want to make it as cool as possible within my feeble budget)

Is it going to have rotting fish eyes, and pelican and seagull shit on it?

I think bird and fish bones (No, not Fishbone the band) may be moop.

I lived most of my life near coastal areas, so this will be pretty damn cool to see in the middle of the desert.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby fbcota » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Nothing rotting that will smell. We have a had a couple Loooooong conversations about this. Just a bit too nasty at the end of the day.

We are going to have some fake shit on in. We are thinking one section will look like the "bird" section with lots and lots of drops of grey paint mixed with some brown and yellow and black speckles.

I'm hoping that the pier might invoke that sense of home for all of us that have grown up near the water :)
fbcota

Postby klark44 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:47 pm

can we fish
Klark Raetz is Fire and Mud
stability is an illusion of the moment
klark44

Postby snake » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:02 pm

do you need tires? my father has hundreds.
snake

Postby fbcota » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Snake: You are like a gift from above :p. Yes we need tires! I think about 65 to be exact!

Klark44: Fishing will be encouraged :). We plan to have fishing poles available (as long as people don't steal them). We are thinking of having a hippie/raver fishing derby on Friday.

Ohh, you can really do whatever you want on it. That's kinda the point.
fbcota

Postby snake » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:17 pm

my problem is the tires are in fallon and i have no way of transporting them to you or the playa. could somebody come pick them up that has a hauling trailer? plus the labor to load and unload.
snake

Postby oscillator » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:38 am

Exodust
Movement of jah seagull.
oscillator

Postby skibear » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:16 pm

klark44 wrote:can we fish

raver fishing would be good!
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby moonrise » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Hippie Fishing!! I know what that is!!

I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby moonrise » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Shameless bump, it's a boring Sunday, wtf, why not...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Dear god, tell me that's you MR.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby moonrise » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Dear god, tell me that's you MR.

Close! He's a survival school freind from 30 years ago, and he recenty posted that photo, i felt i had to re-post it for The Pier's Hippie Fishing Derby!!

These days, I like to wear a funky-fied tuxedo & get a buzz cut for the burn, and the bandana goes over my face, not around my head! BM2011, soon!!

should i bring lots of fresh fish??
moonrise

Postby klark44 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:13 pm

Well, I'm a long haired buffalo nigger libertarian; I have a gun, can I still fish. I was thinking of using a broke down Blackberry to get burnt out ravers in the early morning.
klark44

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:03 am

klark44 wrote:Well, I'm a long haired buffalo nigger libertarian; I have a gun, can I still fish. I was thinking of using a broke down Blackberry to get burnt out ravers in the early morning.

Ravers seem to tatse better at night, maybe you can teach the ones you catch to fire some clay during the day and who knows, you might enjoy the flavor better if you wait to taste a raver by night?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BTW, Nice masks and medallions!!
I like the sustainable lo-tech aspect of your outdoor kiln studios
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

we now return to the regular programming of The Pier
moonrise

Postby klark44 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 am

I was thinking that the alcohol would marinate them and make them easier to handle
klark44

Postby fbcota » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 am

Oooh, a busted blackberry is pretty good bait. You could always gut them and leave us all the better :p.

It depends on what you are looking for with your catch though. If you get them in the morning they aren't too bad. Most of them are fairly lean and ready for cooking. However, if you can get them on their way to the spawning group (Oppulent or Root) then you get a pretty wild meal. Especially if they just metabolized all the substances they took before their nightly swim.
fbcota

Postby graidawg » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:17 am

i could lure the ravers in with my shiny flower sticks - or the light up ones at night! theats if i actually find the place as i still manage to get lost going to work
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby googbox » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 am

Hey HEY HEY!

We have a website. Check it out... Let us know if you want to volunteer and/or donate. And if you want to donate, you can do it right there, on the website.

www.thepier2011.com

ALSO-- Is there anybody in the San Francisco area who could possibly pick up and store some wooden planks for us in the next week? We could probably come pick them up Feb. 26th. I'm thinking they will take up about the space of half of my 2-car garage.

You can reply here or on the pier website or send me a PM.

Thanks everybody!!
googbox

Postby snake » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:52 pm

good job, this is an important step!
snake

Postby moonrise » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Agreed snake! Good job!

I'll be emailing the website to everyone I know!

(I hope to catch some big fish too)
moonrise

Postby klark44 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 pm

now stop that talking about business I want to continue dragging this thread down to total subversion. HOW ABOUT BARBIES FROM THE DEATH CAMP for bait
klark44

Postby snake » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:34 pm

terminal city already initiated a war with barbie death camp...if too many people gang up on poor doc pyro...he may collapse before it starts.
snake

Postby googbox » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 pm

I read that as BABIES from Death Camp. So then I started thinking of dead babies... and throwing them off the pier... which is kind of sick and kind of funny if you have a sick sense of humor like I do.
googbox

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance