Wide Wheelchair & Bike Rims for Dust

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:34 pm

The surly front fork can be added to many bikes.
gyre

Postby teardropper » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:...noisy little bugger though.

damn....it's snowing outside, and all i wanna do is ride.... :cry:

This should probably be two post answers.

First. Simon.---that's another thing the noise control committee (I hate emoticons, but may have to start using them, damn, like there even should be on the playa, smiley face inserted) needs to look at. That, and of course, MEGAPHONES. I'm totally with CfM (I just don't care if she's kidding).

Well, as long as we're talking noise "pollution" what about the scourge of artcars going down residential streets, hell, who cares, going down MY street at 4 am blasting the dreaded techno? I mean, come on, if we all do a little we can make it ALL Hushville. A little cooperation, here...

The other, I almost forgot after that post. I was gonna' say, I've got a BMW, the bike, and I know what you mean. Damn winter...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Wheelchair designed for 3d world off-roads

Postby phil » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:32 am

http://www.core77.com/blog/sustainable_design/case_study_leveraged_freedom_chair_by_amos_winter_jake_childs_and_jung_takenabling_freedom_for_the_disabled_in_developing_countries_18507.asp#more
The upright handles are used to propel the chair in rough terrain, giving more leverage than just rolling the wheels by hand.

The chair uses bike parts, so knobbies are an option on the two read wheels. I'm not sure what the story is with the smaller wheel on front.
phil

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Well, to start, would you want to keep balanced on just those other two wheels?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TheWh33lz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 pm

fish, I'm planning on hittin the playa this year for the first time. I use a colours zephyr as my everyday chair but will be bringing my old colours boing to the playa and am wondering if you have any tips as to what width I'll need on my push rims in order to not be stuck thumb up ass for the majority of the event. I've got 26" rims and can probably lace up some rims to old hubs if given a link to some you would suggest. Thanks
Welcome challenge, embrace difficulty, love all results.
TheWh33lz

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm afraid I"m kind of an idiot when it comes to chairs. I have a Quickie. I wish I could just by an extra set of wheels that would work for this. But I just don't know what you're talking about, nad I'm not much of a researcher.
Sorry.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby TheWh33lz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:16 pm

No worries boss. I'm just looking to figure shit out too. If I stumble upon anything I'll throw it up.
Welcome challenge, embrace difficulty, love all results.
TheWh33lz

Postby Thecatman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:51 pm

I don't know how someone who needs a wheelchair would get on board one of these, but probably wouldn't get stuck either.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby teardropper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:49 pm

[quote="chimeragx"]Bicycle wheels for wheelchairs, I guess that will works in the sand... ...

It's not sand. It's dust. Really.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby lucky420 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:45 am

i saw what i believe is a new product. It is called the freewheel. It is basically a bigger wheel that attaches onto the front of the wheel chair. It lifts the little wheels off the ground. The little front wheels are what seem to make a wheel chair not be as mobile over rough terrain. The video I watched showed people in chairs easily navigating snow, dirt, grass, etc.

I was wondering if this might be good for people in chairs out at burning man. It is kind of pricey, I think it was $500. It did really look like it improved mobility and i just wanted to put this out there in case anyone would like to check it out.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Believe me, $500 is a lot less money than the prices I've seen for sand chairs...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Re: Wide Wheelchair & Bike Rims for Dust

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:18 am

Wide wheels again.
gyre

Previous

Return to Transportation