Have you used one of these?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Have you used one of these?

Postby maryanimal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi folks! Has anyone ever used a Coleman Camping Oven? I was thinking about getting one but I'd like to hear from you, who have used it!

Thanks everyone!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Have not myself, but seen others using them or similar. If you've not set up a playa kitchen before, read up on this subject.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Martiansky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:26 pm

I've been looking at those too! Cheapest one I found was online at Target at $29.99 but S&H was kinda high. Next cheapest was wally world at $39.95 S&H 97 cents. Oh, plus tax at both places.
I was going to wait a bit to see if wally saw the better price at tarjay because they wont meet/beat online prices.
Walmart used to sell it in store but now they dont, I kick myself i didnt get one then.

Users give it pretty high reviews!
Martiansky

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Coleman made, makes(?) an oven that sits on top of a coleman stove. does this one have a heat source built in?
Elorrum

Postby Martiansky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:31 pm

This model uses the heat from your propane stove.
And the reviews say that it only takes up the space of one of the burners so you can still use the other one.
Martiansky

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:04 pm

I have never seen one of these IRL but if they work like I think they do then I think it might be advisable to have a 3 or 4 sided wind break that went around the oven/stove when in operation. My thought is that rushing wind may carry off enough heat from the unit to impact baking results. It is the playa so wind may come up during baking activities.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Martiansky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:15 pm

The reviews for the oven give a lot of good hints about using it.
Martiansky

Postby gibbsgirls » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:49 pm

I love my Coleman Oven. We purchased ours 10-12 years ago and have used it multiple times a year. We camp often and our neighborhood is prone to electrical outages during storms. It has been a lifesaver during those times. The oven sits atop a camp stove. Mine is propane. The oven uses the stove as it's heat source. It takes a little practice to regulate the temp, but you catch on quick. I have baked bisquits, muffins, casseroles, etc. Never tried roasting meat. The interior is not very big - it will hold a dish up to nine inches across (pie plate / 1 1/2 qt cass, etc). I have a wide Coleman stove, so the oven will sit over one burner. I have a little room to use a sm/med pot next to the oven. It will use up some propane though. The oven takes a while to heat up and it depends on how hot/cold it is outside on how much propane it uses to maintain its temp. Of course I don't mess with the small propane bottles. I have a connector to hook up to our large, grill-size tank. My husband considers this oven to be one of our wisest purchases.
gibbsgirls

Postby Martiansky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:58 pm

I will wait to see if the price comes down or try to find one in a store which I havent seen any lately. :(
I think it's a good little oven from reading the reviews and the last post!!
Martiansky

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Please search the eplaya, this has been discussed a few times.

And please use a more descriptive thread title for your next shot in the dark.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Our camp mate Burky uses one to make what we call Burky Turkey which is a traditional Sunday Dinner on the Playa. Pretty nifty.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby maryanimal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Martiansky wrote:I've been looking at those too! Cheapest one I found was online at Target at $29.99 but S&H was kinda high. Next cheapest was wally world at $39.95 S&H 97 cents. Oh, plus tax at both places.
I was going to wait a bit to see if wally saw the better price at tarjay because they wont meet/beat online prices.
Walmart used to sell it in store but now they dont, I kick myself i didnt get one then.

Users give it pretty high reviews!

I found one locally for 35 bucks I think. It's small but would work great! I was on a site where there were lots of positive reviews!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Clar-i-ty wrote:Our camp mate Burky uses one to make what we call Burky Turkey which is a traditional Sunday Dinner on the Playa. Pretty nifty.

What is Burky Turkey?
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:03 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:I have never seen one of these IRL but if they work like I think they do then I think it might be advisable to have a 3 or 4 sided wind break that went around the oven/stove when in operation. My thought is that rushing wind may carry off enough heat from the unit to impact baking results. It is the playa so wind may come up during baking activities.

Yeah, I read about wind breaks! That'll be an easy fix! I'm going to try it out here first and let everyone know what I think about it.
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:05 pm

Bob wrote:Please search the eplaya, this has been discussed a few times.

And please use a more descriptive thread title for your next shot in the dark.

Golly Bob, I like my the title of my thread! And I've decided to start my own thread. But thanks for the suggestions!
maryanimal

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:13 am

I've used the Coleman's in the past with very hit and miss results regardless of conditions.

The Camp Chef oven is the way to go for a small, portable oven that you can really cook in.

With 2 burners on top.

Yes, it does cost considerably more than the Colman unit.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby ygmir » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 am

I've had great luck with a stove/oven I took out of an old camper.
usually free.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby maryanimal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 pm

CapSmashy wrote:I've used the Coleman's in the past with very hit and miss results regardless of conditions.

The Camp Chef oven is the way to go for a small, portable oven that you can really cook in.

With 2 burners on top.

I found a new one on Amazon for $184 total. Free shipping! I like it!
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 pm

ygmir wrote:I've had great luck with a stove/oven I took out of an old camper.
usually free.

Free is always better!
maryanimal

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:06 pm

maryanimal wrote:
ygmir wrote:I've had great luck with a stove/oven I took out of an old camper.
usually free.

Free is always better!

I, however, am confused. You only got it once, how can it ever be "unfree"?
I'll take my answer off the air.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:22 pm

maryanimal wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:I've used the Coleman's in the past with very hit and miss results regardless of conditions.

With 2 burners on top.

I found a new one on Amazon for $184 total. Free shipping! I like it!

Snazzy! If it won't hold a Turkey, maybe a few chickens will suffice?
(not the cute playa chicken of course!)

Maybe Burky Turkey is a traditional Sunday dinner b/c cleaning the oven after cooking birds in it would, well, basically suck.....some things are best plastic bagged and cleaned later, much later in the default world, ya know...
(blueberry muffins in the mornings with a hint of poultry, plan accordingly me thinks)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:43 pm

The Camp Chef is $149 at CostCo.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby maryanimal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:16 pm

AntiM wrote:The Camp Chef is $149 at CostCo.

$149?? I'll have to go to my local Costco!
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Darn it all! I went to the Costco website and that Camp Cheff stove didnt come up.
maryanimal

Postby jkisha » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 am

With 2 burners on top.

Yup, I agree. I even use it at home cooking on the Holidays when I need another oven. They used to sell them at Costco, but I haven't seen them there lately. But if you go to their website and sign up for their newsletter, you'll get notice of their sales, and the have some sort of sale going on every season. Http://www.campchef.com

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:15 am

They're a hit and miss item. In stock at ours here in Ogden right now, big with the scouters.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 am

Check your local Army/Navy store (if you have them in your area). They carry these stoves as well as all the other Camp Chief stuff for a better price than found online + no shipping.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby maryanimal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 pm

jkisha wrote:

With 2 burners on top.

Yup, I agree. I even use it at home cooking on the Holidays when I need another oven. They used to sell them at Costco, but I haven't seen them there lately. But if you go to their website and sign up for their newsletter, you'll get notice of their sales, and the have some sort of sale going on every season. Http://www.campchef.com

JK

Thanks JK!
maryanimal

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 am

MyLarry is our baker, he watches the oven like a hawk when he is using it. The temperature and timing get tricky.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby jkisha » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:07 am

AntiM wrote:MyLarry is our baker, he watches the oven like a hawk when he is using it. The temperature and timing get tricky.

Yup, that's true, but you get used to that after awhile.

Actually it was your post about Larry unexpectedly returning home with the oven when you sent him on a shopping trip to Costco that got me thinking about getting the oven too. I saw it there just before you posted, and decided to pass on it, but after reading that post, I changed my mind.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Next

Return to Food & Drink