Questions about DPW/Greeters/etc

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:10 pm

Savannah wrote:No need to be ruffled. C.f.M. means that DPW and Rangers are more labor-intensive, so someone who just wants to "do something"--but doesn't know what that "something" is--would be better off taking a volunteer post that is shorter & easier.

(If you want your quoting of another poster to work, click on "Profile" top center, scroll down to "Preferences" and enable your BBCode.)


Sav is just about the best person at calming a situation. Love it and well put my friend.

Indeed. CFM meant nothing by that comment at all...except...if you aren't into intense manual labor, DPW, Gate, and Rangers isn't your thing.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
User avatar
VeganChoirGirl
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby thirt33n » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 pm

SurlyBDrinkin wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:If you just want to "do something," skip Rangers and DPW, go for Greeters, Post Office, Arctic Cafe, etc.


yeah because DPW doesn't do anything? please....


a little jumpy?
..pretty sure you misunderstood that quote there.
let me translate:

if you simply want to go early and do "something"(not necessarily bust your ass with hard labor and or skilled "work") ...then try something a little less "serious".

by NOT being in DPW you also have a better chance at not becoming a black shirt in the desert wearing, snobby, over self entitled, generally burned out condescending fool by Tuesday afternoon(or earlier)
.
:wink:


...love now :P

edit:looks like someone already covered this. what a dick i am. :roll:
blow.
User avatar
thirt33n
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: north
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:41 pm

SurlyBDrinkin wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:If you just want to "do something," skip Rangers and DPW, go for Greeters, Post Office, Arctic Cafe, etc.


yeah because DPW doesn't do anything? please....

DPW also has specific standards. You can walk up to the Post Office and give people shit without much training, driving a fork lift is a certificate!

Edited to add: Just in case someone else hasn't covered it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37467
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:53 pm

The dpw needs ditch diggers too.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby TomServo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
SurlyBDrinkin wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:If you just want to "do something," skip Rangers and DPW, go for Greeters, Post Office, Arctic Cafe, etc.


yeah because DPW doesn't do anything? please....

DPW also has specific standards. You can walk up to the Post Office and give people shit without much training, driving a fork lift is a certificate!

Edited to add: Just in case someone else hasn't covered it.


Which brings me to this question....anyone know how long Forklift Certifications are valid? Have had forklift certification twice...once at the Contra Costa Times and the second working for Hyster, but that was years ago, and they always kept my card on file..
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Can't you just contact the certifying agency?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37467
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:05 pm

thirt33n wrote:by NOT being in DPW you also have a better chance at not becoming a black shirt in the desert wearing, snobby, over self entitled, generally burned out condescending fool by Tuesday afternoon(or earlier)[/size].[/color] :wink:


I wear white. It's so I can get *really* dirty. And by Tuesday the signs are usually all up and I'm out scouting for volunteers.

And just for the record: I'm not a Ranger. I was a Ranger 99 & 00. (once a ranger, always a ranger, I know). I'm still out there vehicle mobile and know how to find a Ranger fast. Ranger Love baybee.
I'm DPW and fucking proud of the fabulous fun folks I get to work with.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
DPW Volunteer Coordinator, Special Projects (Porta-potties)
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
User avatar
robbidobbs
 
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:07 pm
Location: Pottie Central
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Can't you just contact the certifying agency?


Tried to contact Hyster...got no reply.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:16 pm

robbidobbs wrote:
thirt33n wrote:by NOT being in DPW you also have a better chance at not becoming a black shirt in the desert wearing, snobby, over self entitled, generally burned out condescending fool by Tuesday afternoon(or earlier)[/size].[/color] :wink:


I wear white. It's so I can get *really* dirty. And by Tuesday the signs are usually all up and I'm out scouting for volunteers.

And just for the record: I'm not a Ranger. I was a Ranger 99 & 00. (once a ranger, always a ranger, I know). I'm still out there vehicle mobile and know how to find a Ranger fast. Ranger Love baybee.
I'm DPW and fucking proud of the fabulous fun folks I get to work with.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
DPW Volunteer Coordinator, Special Projects (Porta-potties)


DPW is the best! If you don't mind a lot of work...I loved it!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:30 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:Ride?? Only if he's doing perimeter. He may be a bit more gate-y. Who knows? :) Plus...warn him?? I think not. We all need to learn these things on our own.


I have a long history of law enforcement related experience (the kind behind the badge) and I am much more inclined for doing perimeter work. I even have my own night vision scope and everything. =)

I also have the ability to pretty much get along with anyone.
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:Ride?? Only if he's doing perimeter. He may be a bit more gate-y. Who knows? :) Plus...warn him?? I think not. We all need to learn these things on our own.


I have a long history of law enforcement related experience (the kind behind the badge) and I am much more inclined for doing perimeter work. I even have my own night vision scope and everything. =)

I also have the ability to pretty much get along with anyone.


:D :D :D

Yeah...PG&E for the win...just sayin'
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
User avatar
VeganChoirGirl
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby thirt33n » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:44 am

TomServo wrote:
robbidobbs wrote:
thirt33n wrote:by NOT being in DPW you also have a better chance at not becoming a black shirt in the desert wearing, snobby, over self entitled, generally burned out condescending fool by Tuesday afternoon(or earlier)[/size].[/color] :wink:


I wear white. It's so I can get *really* dirty. And by Tuesday the signs are usually all up and I'm out scouting for volunteers.

And just for the record: I'm not a Ranger. I was a Ranger 99 & 00. (once a ranger, always a ranger, I know). I'm still out there vehicle mobile and know how to find a Ranger fast. Ranger Love baybee.
I'm DPW and fucking proud of the fabulous fun folks I get to work with.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
DPW Volunteer Coordinator, Special Projects (Porta-potties)


DPW is the best! If you don't mind a lot of work...I loved it!


best? ok, my mom is the best too, right?
:P

really though...as sure as i am that there are mostly awesome folks in the DPW (that cobra guy)...I am sure i have run across a surplus of DPW "black shirt in the desert wearing, snobby, over self entitled, generally burned out condescending fools by Tuesday afternoon"

a few of the VERY few unwelcoming and cold experiences I have had in my 5 trips since 2002 have been at the hands of these "bad seeds"..if you will.

..and I'm a frikkin LOVER! (and an AWESOME Greeter) :D
blow.
User avatar
thirt33n
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: north
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:50 am

VeganChoirGirl wrote::D :D :D

Yeah...PG&E for the win...just sayin'


The contact email has been sent. :D
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:53 am

CapSmashy wrote:I have a long history of law enforcement related experience (the kind behind the badge) and I am much more inclined for doing perimeter work. I even have my own night vision scope and everything. =)

I also have the ability to pretty much get along with anyone.

Busmans's holiday?
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:28 am

TomServo wrote:Which brings me to this question....anyone know how long Forklift Certifications are valid? Have had forklift certification twice...once at the Contra Costa Times and the second working for Hyster, but that was years ago, and they always kept my card on file..


Typically 2 years, most of my cards have the expiration date on them and they were all 2 years from date of issue, some states might differ...
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:08 pm

gyre wrote:Busmans's holiday?


Perhaps to a very limited extent. :)
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote::D :D :D

Yeah...PG&E for the win...just sayin'


The contact email has been sent. :D


HIGH FIVE! :D That's totally awesome.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
User avatar
VeganChoirGirl
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby Minxy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Hey psychoalpha,

I'm from Portland, although I now live with my fiance in the Bay Area.

I'll link some pertinent info for that area. :)

Regional group and regional burn info:

http://www.burningmanportland.com/

Tzara is your regional contact and he can be reached off of that site.

There used to be Ranger training at the Oregon regional BM event SOAK; not sure about this year. SOAK is held on a lovely country property down near Salem in June.


More links:

http://twitter.com/BurningManPdx

http://www.facebook.com/BurningmanPortland

Subscribe to the Portland Announce Burning Man list
Announcements: http://bit.ly/Portland-Announce
Discussion: http://bit.ly/Portland-List
User avatar
Minxy
 
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Previous

Return to Get Involved!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests