A Burner Lexicon

Share and discuss articles and blog posts about Burning Man and the culture of Burning Man.
Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:45 am

Playasexual: typically, a hetero male who, getting caught up in the spirit, experiments sexually with other men. Usually found hanging around the perimeter of Stiffy Lube Camp. Bot that there's anything wrong with that.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:45 am

double post.....my bad.

Randall Hunt

Post by Randall Hunt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:10 am

Apropos to TTITD, While crossing Hoover Dam on the way to our first burn last year, the officer checked out the back of the camper shell (filled with our food, shelter, bikes and stuff) and said to us, "Going to the Dirt Dance?" I had to laugh.

kitoconnell

Burner Name

Post by kitoconnell » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. A few specific comments:

@Randall Hunt: Dirt Dance! Love it.
@Dr Helix: Really? Does 'walk of shame' mean something different on the playa? Because otherwise that seems like the kind of sex negativity I'd rather us leave in the default world.

Today on A Burner Lexicon: Burner Name
http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon-burnername/
Kit O'Connell ~ kitoconnell.com
Writer, Critic, Freak ~ [email protected]

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Re: Burner Name

Post by Dr Helix » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:01 pm

kitoconnell wrote:Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. A few specific comments:

@Randall Hunt: Dirt Dance! Love it.
@Dr Helix: Really? Does 'walk of shame' mean something different on the playa? Because otherwise that seems like the kind of sex negativity I'd rather us leave in the default world.

Today on A Burner Lexicon: Burner Name
http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon-burnername/
Well, I don't know if its a true negative. It's more of an experience I've had in real time. I'll set the scene: It's early mornng, maybe just after sunup. I'm out as I usually and am in front of our camp having coffee and enjoying the cool air. And then you see them. The bedraggled boys and girls with fur askew, or costumes not quite right. Mayhaps a hookup that has ended or an all nighter finally settling back to earth. Whatever the reason, they look furtive and miserable. Morning is a harsh mistress and they've got that "what happened?" expression all over their faces. As they pass they look neither left nor right. They just want to get back to camp their camp and regroup. Ergo I have dubbed it "the walk of shame". If you perceive a lack of sensitivity to their plight well not really. I've done that walk myself many times. So do with it what you will Kit. I appreciate all of your definitions.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

kitoconnell

Post by kitoconnell » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:20 pm

We have definitely all stumbled back to our camps in the wee hours of the morning wearing the clothes of the night before, a time or two... or six. Thank you for reading. :)

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:51 am

words Burners use but that apparently didn't make the cut:

playa booger
utilikilt
do-ocracy
playasexual

There should be a word for that gross mixture of cooler melt tinged with bacon juice when your seemingly impenetrable ziplock bags take on water.

kitoconnell

Post by kitoconnell » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Teo It's not about making the cut -- this is an ongoing series and I welcome ALL suggestions. In case you really want to know, of your list I already had playasexual (thanks to you) and do-ocracy and added playa booger (aka black crusty doom boogers ;). I don't plan to do utilikilt because its a brand name and has a fair amount of default world currency -- just ask anyone who's gotten tired of seeing Doms in utilikilts at kink parties...

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:42 pm

kewl!

(I'm sick of utilikilts, too.)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Is there a list of people tired of seeing Doms in utilikilts so I know whom to ask?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

kitoconnell

Post by kitoconnell » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:51 pm

I would check wikipedia, they seem to have a list for everything.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Yeah, I was looking at their list of Old Bolshiviks purged in teh Great Terror earlier today.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

kitoconnell

Shade Structure

Post by kitoconnell » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Today on A Burner Lexicon: Shade Structure
http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon-shadestructure/

kitoconnell

Children

Post by kitoconnell » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:15 am

Today on A Burner Lexicon: Children
http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon-children/

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:57 pm

I love the Nambla interview.

Makes me nostalgic for all sorts of things.
The Lady with a Lamprey

kitoconnell

Playa Coat

Post by kitoconnell » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Today on A Burner Lexicon: Playa Coat
http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon-playacoat/

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:32 pm

question? the definition of burner has been read and approved by. . . . . well other people ? i will copy it here just in case anyone wants to question it. . . . .

Burner, –Noun, A Burner is someone who is part of the Burning Man subculture. Originally this meant someone who had attended That Thing in the Desert, the original Burn now held in the Black Rock Desert. However, as attendees returned to their homes in other parts of the world they began to create Regional Burns. Nowadays, most anyone who has attended one of these events based on some version of the Burner Principles, and where an effigy is ritually built and destroyed, is considered a Burner.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

kitoconnell

Post by kitoconnell » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Given that the main page of A Burner Lexicon has been viewed thousands of times since I started the project late last year, I'd say its a safe bet that lots of people have viewed my definitions. Many have received feedback, too, but not that one yet.

A Burner Lexicon is the opinion of a burner: me. I do welcome feedback. But if you're going to suggest that only people who have attended That Thing In the Desert are somehow 'true' Burners, then I suspect you might be one of the Burnier Than Thou. Feel free to consult the lexicon for that definition, too.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Last Supper, The. The last meal before entering the playa, typically large, and high in carbohydrate, protein & fat, distinguished by greater attention to the inclusion of fresh fruits or vegetables than would ordinarily be paid to road trip meals.

(A footlong Spicy Italian sub with extra vegetables being a favorite example.)

graidawg

Post by graidawg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:49 pm

actually kit its from the 'true burners' i wanted the opinion, you see i've been to a featival built a man and burnt it, and done it by most of the 10 principles without them being stated.
Sooooo by that definition i AM a burner even if i haven't been to TTiTD or an 'official' regional. Not that i need someone to tell me (i do, i do, i do) that i'm a burner or that i;m not burny enough it's just a bit of fuel for the fire the next time i open my mouth and start spouting rubbish (or more accurately typing it
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.

graidawg

Post by graidawg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:50 pm

actually kit its from the 'true burners' i wanted the opinion, you see i've been to a featival built a man and burnt it, and done it by most of the 10 principles without them being stated.
Sooooo by that definition i AM a burner even if i haven't been to TTiTD or an 'official' regional. Not that i need someone to tell me (i do, i do, i do) that i'm a burner or that i;m not burny enough it's just a bit of fuel for the fire the next time i open my mouth and start spouting rubbish (or more accurately typing it
oh loving the lexicon btw is there a way to go from one definition to the next with out going forward and back?
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.

kitoconnell

Post by kitoconnell » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Savannah wrote:Last Supper, The. The last meal before entering the playa, typically large, and high in carbohydrate, protein & fat, distinguished by greater attention to the inclusion of fresh fruits or vegetables than would ordinarily be paid to road trip meals.

(A footlong Spicy Italian sub with extra vegetables being a favorite example.)
I like it. The meals I remember most, however, is the first hot food in the default world that I get after the event.

kitoconnell

Post by kitoconnell » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 pm

graidawg wrote:actually kit its from the 'true burners' i wanted the opinion, you see i've been to a featival built a man and burnt it, and done it by most of the 10 principles without them being stated.
oh loving the lexicon btw is there a way to go from one definition to the next with out going forward and back?
I am glad you are enjoying the Lexicon. I appreciate hearing from my fans. The only way to get around are the Related Links at the bottom or the main Lexicon page. You can also browse the A Burner Lexicon category on my blog, I guess:
http://kitoconnell.com/category/burning ... r-lexicon/

As to your other question, in my opinion it would depend on the event. On the one hand, if a bunch of guys got together, lit a bonfire, and cleaned up after themselves, it would be disingenuous to call it a 'Burn event' after the fact if one heard about Burning Man later. At the other end of the spectrum, if a European goes to Nowhere in Spain but hasn't been to That Thing In the Desert, they are definitely a Burn. There's obviously a lot of gray area in between.

graidawg

Post by graidawg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:33 pm

On consideration i will try and get some pics from celtica 2001 bring them with me and see if i was already a burner when i get there in august - not that it matters, i burn already. well to be honest i melt as an unfortunate accident in my teens proved
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 pm

graidawg
You might want to look back over this thread--it's 9 pages long, and has been viewed more than 8,000 times. I don't know whose opinion you want, but at this point, I don't think that its existence can be considered a secret. If any playa encrusted burners on this board don't know about it, I think it's due to their unwillingness to follow simple links and maybe they've inhaled a bit too much playa dust for their opinions to be worth banking on.
YMMV.
The Lady with a Lamprey

graidawg

Post by graidawg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:52 pm

cryptofish I dont really know, i'm just rying to occupy myself after 10 years of finding reasons not to go and deciding to go this year after seeing the tickets go on sale on my fb page all i can do is think talk and plan about going this year, its going to be fucking difficult but thats basically an excuse for failing.

you've probably read more than a few of my other posts and have a fair idea that i'm not the most linear, rational or coherent of people so i suspect i will fit right in once i've got over my initial wtf and oooo shiny etc.
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.

kitoconnell

Post by kitoconnell » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:59 pm

The event is a big scary undertaking for sure. You will forget something important and bring things that turn out to be useless. Somehow it will all work out anyway. Go and enjoy!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm still waiting for Barbiebarian to be included. Some people seem to have no respect for the vernacular of the playa. Well, at least where I hang out.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:34 pm

graidawg wrote:On consideration i will try and get some pics from celtica 2001 bring them with me and see if i was already a burner when i get there in august - not that it matters, i burn already.
graidawg- from most of your posts I generally agree with you (as shocked as you may be to hear that) but your sig lines makes me worry a bit.

People (including me) didn't agree with you on one thread, you said "fuck 'em". I'm certainly not going to judge anyone on this board over a disagreement in one thread, I would hate for you to feel "typecast" because of the same thing.
graidawg wrote:i will fit right in once i've got over my initial wtf and oooo shiny etc.
I've been going since '03, I'm still not over my initial wtf etc. If I ever get over it, I'll stop going.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:17 pm

You're doing just fine, graidawg, at the pace you've been going through the ideas you could end up being one of those "stealth virgins" that everyone thinks has been going for years.
The place where you are sort of raising eyebrows has to do with your attempts to bottle the experience and put a label on it and have it safely contained before you even get there.
There is a whole bunch of sort of ways we ("we" being some subset of experienced burners) have of talking about this particular phenomenon. "It's just a week long camping trip in the desert." "No expectations." "Don't interfere with someone else's burn." I've used "the blind men and the elephant" more than once. If you can concentrate on the practicalities and sort of let the "meaning" of it to when you get there--or even after you get home, you will probably enjoy the whole experience more, and get more out of it. Really, don't try and get to the central nugget of it all, because it's turtles all the way down. Relax, enjoy the journey and collect a half dozen stories--that's plenty of assignment for your first burn.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Articles”