Camp Israel is looking for participants, sound system, djs

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Postby Isotopia » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:46 pm

camp Southern Ba[p]tist?

Now THERE I draw a line.
Isotopia

Postby Eduardo » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:18 am

Sensei wrote:I believe the good Dr. Pyro has beat you to it with the Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro (the nicest concentration camp on the playa). Its all good fun, 'til they start marchin' those poor dolls into the ovens. Oh, the horror...

"oh the horror... the horror"

In memoriam of the late and (certainly) great Marlon Brando

I who coulda been a contendah. I shoulda been more sledah
Eduardo

Re: Geez, what were we talking about...

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:55 am

Heck I loved Spain the 6 weeks I spent there in 83. And when I first discovered Almadovar I was kicking myself that I didn't drop out and move to Madrid to paint.
Eduardo wrote:PD Idea for a theme village - Camps That You Can Have Kittens About. Definitivelly camp Israel and camp Spain, also camp Germany? camp SouthernBabtist? camp China? Campbodia? camp Vatican? any other all-time favourites?
Camp Democracy in Florida.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Camp Malta

Postby Rian Jackson » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:20 am

I'm starting Camp Malta.

a) no one has heard of it!
b) no one can be mad at it - because everyone else kicked their asses. Unless, of course, we are discussing EuroVision several years back, and then you can all cry (despite the fact that EuroVision is a sorry, snivelling, rotten competition).

We can build bastions all around, drive like lunatics, and yell at each other in close quarters. We'll make pastizzi to eat (little cheese cake thingies) and wear Karnival constumes. The streets will all have stairs and the houses will be cold stone. Lots of roaches, pretty boats, big cathedrals.

God, i love being associated with countries no one knows about.

Rian

p.s. once you enter Camp Malta, you can't leave without a boat or airplane. Sorry. ;)
Rian Jackson

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:30 am

Well then! I'll be Camp Lichtenstein and gift out false teeth. (Vampire, mostly I figure.)
theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:30 am

(Still working on Camp Asension Island and Dodoes.)
theCryptofishist

Postby blyslv » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:35 am

Badger wrote:Engenders? Perhaps. No argument actually. Still, what make you of someone who comes to the board soliciting Camp Land-o-Fags in which the OP is asking for gay/dyke participants to revel, cherish, celebrate their queerness? High tea, drag shows, Barbara Streisand songs...

Soon enough other posters start barging in suggesting that the idea represents X and that Y is the real reason for propsing the idea. One or two people come in suggesting that homos are an affront to Z and therefore don't warrant consideration and that to follow through with the idea is wrong/vile/hateful/etc. The message engenders more passionate exchanges but what becomes apparant after a while is that the majority of disfavoring posts have more to do with a personal bias anchored in perceptions and stereotypes than any anything else.

It's the height of arrogance and bigotry to assign worth and meaning to an idea just because it plays to long-held opinions that lie on the periphery of what one thinks the camp represents without really investigating what's really being suggested.

It seems to me that that is exactly what's been happening here.

Maybe both isreal and queerness are hot button issues. Last night I was talking to a friend. a straight woman (who says she is a bit of a fag hag) who went into several "gay" camps.

"Look there's a woman here."
"Where?"

She was never asked to leave, but she had the distinct impression that she was not welcome. She got the cold shoulder. She went there becasue one of her friends kept hoping to get laid there.

So much for "radical inclusion."

You are right, I think many of the posters here have been reacting. In some respects the camp could already be termed a success, because like all good art it provokes a reaction.

It also seems that many of the posters have been respectful and passionate, a hard balance to strike. I won't go looking for Camp Isreal, but if I stumble accross it I may visit, just to see what all the brouhaha is about.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby blyslv » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:41 am

SHUT THE FUCK UP!! TAKE IT ELSEWHERE!!

No.

Just for the record I had and have no problem with a "Camp Isreal." I do and will have a problem with denying a group, any group (including Palestinians) their identity.

So instead of yelling obscentites and trying to stifle debate why you you just calm down?
blyslv

Postby bullD » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:58 am

blyslv wrote:
SHUT THE FUCK UP!! TAKE IT ELSEWHERE!!

No.

Just for the record I had and have no problem with a "Camp Isreal." I do and will have a problem with denying a group, any group (including Palestinians) their identity.

So instead of yelling obscentites and trying to stifle debate why you you just calm down?

Oh I'm calm, very calm... Again,,,
FUCKING TAKE IT ELSE WHERE THEN!!!
Don't make me reach back and smack you... :lol:
bullD

Postby blyslv » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:19 am

Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore i need helpNow you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore make me stop!!! Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore i need helpNow you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore make me stop!!!Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore i need helpNow you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. Now you are repeating yourself. snore make me stop!!!
blyslv

Postby bullD » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...................................
bullD

israel / israelies on the playa ?!

Postby rei_dishon » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:29 am

so as and israeli burner ( yup i live there) that have been in the last 2 years and going as well this year it was pretty funny to read the title of this forum and to read though what all this ppl responded.
i think that first of all on israeli burner (and a real one) wouldn't come out with israel camp but it's still nice to know that there is out there a home for you out there. - and just as a reminder there was an irish pub on the playa last year - but there wasn't an "ireland camp" so i think that ppl goona give u less shit if it's just goona be a "jewish camp"
more then that that BS to think that other ppl r not invited or not welcomed - i was hanging out last year on the playa with some ppl from Saudia Arebia and Airen (bless my spelling) that i have got to know them just 'cos they had thier flag infront of thier camp and i went to check these ppl out and get to know them.
i think that if ppl r into themself they should stay at home and burn thier little man at thier back yard burning man it's all about getting to know new ppl and about a big new comuunity.
about help drop me a line if u need some - there is goona be a big gang of our friends probably camping with lush be we would love to go and help out with whatever.
and if it's gonna be like last year u r goona c a lot of israelies at your camp - last year we ran into a bunch on the playa - some great funny stories
work like you don't need the money
forgive fast though kiss slowly
and dance like no one is watching
rei_dishon

havdalah

Postby foolsfolly » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:53 am

Hey Everybody,

What do you think of all the Jewish groups--I count three so far: Camp Israel, Black Rock JCC and Kosher Camp--gathering for havdalah on the playa before the man (the biggest havdalah candle in the world) burns?

b'shalom,

Reb Menachem
foolsfolly

Re: havdalah

Postby bullD » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:45 am

foolsfolly wrote:Hey Everybody,

What do you think of all the Jewish groups--I count three so far?
b'shalom,

Reb Menachem

human beings just like the rest of us...
If somebody's culture is a theme,,, then all the better; show me what your all about, I'm not scared. It really IS a good thing that we are all different.
bullD

Postby Badger » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:46 am

What do you think of all the Jewish groups--I count three so far:

I think there are better ways to invest resources and ideas. My take on the idea is definitely a personal one but it seems to me that when someone packs up all the stuff that they wrap themselves in is so far as cultural identity that it suggests either an unwillingness or inability to allow themselves to open up to the possibility of a cultural experience very different from the one they come from. There's nothing wrong with that and Camp Israel is just a single example of this view. There are and will be others. It's sort of like the man/woman who goes on the ocean cruise with a group of their bridge playing friends only to hang out in their cabin for the duration playing bridge. It just seems like a way of saturating themselves in what's familiar in a way that can (possibly) coccoon them from other experiences. I guess for some folks - especially folks coming from the far off lands there's a level of comfort that comes with being in such a group. Perhaps it acts as an anchor to sustain them while their experiences are being challenged. I guess there are two sides to the issue.

I remeber that for a few years there were these guys from Japan who headed to the playa. They were all about doing this wonderful, achingly beautiful demonstration of a Japanese tea ceremony which just blew everyone away that witnessed it. The men doing it were bringing with them a bit of their culture with them and their camp was not one easily approached because they were living - as close as I could tell - in a way that anchored them in their 'Japan-ness'. Maybe being new to this country, the BM event (and not speaking much english) and the culture shock associated with this was their way of coping. Still, I don't remember a mob surrounding their camp and hurling accusations about the crimes committed in Nanking by their fellow countrymen during the last world war.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby zzberlin » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:28 pm

Nice post Badger.
zzberlin

Postby Gojira » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:09 pm

Gojira

Clarification

Postby foolsfolly » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:44 pm

Hey Everybody,

Just to clarify, the intention of my post was to ask if the Jewish groups on playa wanted to get together before the man burns to share the fire ceremony that ends the sabbath every week.
There are many reasons pepole want to have a culturally/religiously oriented camp--in our case Jewish--in the great sea that is Burningman. Some do it for the kosher grub, some for the daily prayer, some to poke fun at mainstream Jewish institutions, some to camp with close friends from all over or from home, some to learn kabbalah. Wherever we camp, we're all there to engage in the blessings of each other's creativity and generosity and to get a great shampoo at Astral Headwash.

b'shalom,

Reb Menachem
foolsfolly

Postby bullD » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:03 pm

Badger wrote:

I think there are better ways to invest resources and ideas. My take on the idea is definitely a personal one but it seems to me that when someone packs up all the stuff that they wrap themselves in is so far as cultural identity that it suggests either an unwillingness or inability to allow themselves to open up to the possibility of a cultural experience very different from the one they come from. There's nothing wrong with that and Camp Israel is just a single example of this view. There are and will be others. It's sort of like the man/woman who goes on the ocean cruise with a group of their bridge playing friends only to hang out in their cabin for the duration playing bridge. It just seems like a way of saturating themselves in what's familiar in a way that can (possibly) coccoon them from other experiences. I guess for some folks - especially folks coming from the far off lands there's a level of comfort that comes with being in such a group. Perhaps it acts as an anchor to sustain them while their experiences are being challenged. I guess there are two sides to the issue.

I remeber that for a few years there were these guys from Japan who headed to the playa. They were all about doing this wonderful, achingly beautiful demonstration of a Japanese tea ceremony which just blew everyone away that witnessed it. The men doing it were bringing with them a bit of their culture with them and their camp was not one easily approached because they were living - as close as I could tell - in a way that anchored them in their 'Japan-ness'. Maybe being new to this country, the BM event (and not speaking much english) and the culture shock associated with this was their way of coping. Still, I don't remember a mob surrounding their camp and hurling accusations about the crimes committed in Nanking by their fellow countrymen during the last world war.

Word.
bullD

Postby bullD » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:20 pm

Badger wrote:

It just seems like a way of saturating themselves in what's familiar

If that is what makes them happy, so be it.
bullD

wow

Postby foolsfolly » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:40 pm

I've learned that I need to be more carefulish with my English
foolsfolly

Postby Badger » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:11 am

And i've learned that I need to stop butchering it.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby foolsfolly » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:14 am

I said

Badger said
And i've learned that I need to stop butchering it.

I say,
Amen Larry
foolsfolly

Postby foolsfolly » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:18 am

Oy, now I'm worried that my last post doesn't come across as the friendly I-feel-like-we're-relating message I intended it to be. So I post this to explain. Sigh...
foolsfolly

Postby Badger » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:44 am

Oy, now I'm worried that my last post doesn't come across as the friendly I-feel-like-we're-relating message I intended it to be. So I post this to explain. Sigh...

No need to.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby blyslv » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:45 am

About those guys from Japan, do you know if any of them every came back?
blyslv

Butoh

Postby Rian Jackson » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:53 am

Speaking of Japan, has there ever been Butoh on playa?
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby Isotopia » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:28 am

About those guys from Japan, do you know if any of them every came back?

Yes, I believe so. I seem to remember hearing that they came back a second year and did the tea ceremony again.
Isotopia

Postby foolsfolly » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:05 pm

Good Shabbos everybody!
foolsfolly

Postby zorro sings » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:13 pm

This camp stirred up so much controversy on this board and the plans were so grand that I had to take a ride out to Camp Israel while at this years Burn and see how it all turned out.After a long bike ride to the furthest reaches of BRC I came across a huge piece of real estate marked by a sign on the ground and a wind torn Israeli flag.The entire area was populated by two cars and a small sleeping tent.That was it.Didn't know whether to laugh or cry but the pathos was striking and it remains one of my most vivid images of BM '04.
You have a problem............................We have a problem..........Alejandro Sosa
zorro sings

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: club neu verboten

PreviousNext

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities