Bar hopping at Burning Man

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:17 am

Tang?
Elorrum

Postby TomServo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 am

Packoderm wrote:That gives me the idea of gifting mixer. However, I would not want to walk around the playa with a bunch of two liter bottles of Coke tied to my belt. Orange juice concentrate is good and compact, but it should be kept frozen. Any ideas?

Keep it frozen, and gift it to the bar of your choice, when the moment strikes you. I donated a 64oz. bottle of Bloody Mary mix to the Duck Pond, and the weight was not an issue....Just dont walk around with mixers, expecting to gift. If you like a bar, return with the gift.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

At Teo del Fuego – kinda carded

Postby This Woman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:55 am

We asked youthful looking people how old they were and if they were old enough to consume alcohol. If they were especially young looking, we carded. Only one person like that came in without a card, and she came back with a card shortly thereafter with no issues over going to get it. Many people did not have cards, but looked old enough to drink and told us they were old enough to drink, so we served them. I have no idea if LEO came in and were satisfied with our method, but I assume not. Seems from prior discussion, that bars know afterward if LEO has checked them, even when they pass.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:47 pm

C.f.M. wrote:If I'm bartending, I card.

Do you card everyone, no exceptions? Or just the ones who look close to 21?

I only card the really young ones. But I thin the herd a bit by refusing to serve to anyone without a suitable cup. Suitable does not equal Nalgene bottles, thermoses, etc. Just freaking cups that don't hold a quart and can receive some ice.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby delle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:

quote]

I'd always just assumed that my wrinkles would serve as proof. They're a bit harder to hide under a hat than the greying hair. Since I may be dressed as an 8yr old I might try the lanyard id copy trick tho. Best to know.

As far as mixes go, I stumbled upon this little gem early last summer. If you mix just so much 7-up with just so much mineral water and a smallish-largish splash of o.j. you get very close to Orangina for a wee fraction of the price!

And let me tell you something about the beauty once that's mixed with vodka!~ Very refreshing. Not too sweet. Not at all acidic (for those of us with issues).

Now the only issue is all those plastic bottles!!!!
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Everyone looks old after a dustbath. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:49 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:

Oh yeah, no cup, no service. When I was running the bar at a regional (we're talking...400 hundred, maybe?) I still carded and people, who were like, half a field from their tent got pissed. I was like, go to your tent, get your ID. And no cup? Then they got an earful of YOU ARE A SHITTY BURNER AND DON'T DESERVE A DRINK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

If you're obviously old I won't card you. If you're questionable or I just don't really want you around, I'll card you. I like to cover my ass (because bars DO get fined!) and perhaps your ire at not getting boozed up will teach you to carry some ID - and a cup, if you didn't have one.

Fuck all the hippies who show up looking for handouts. Camps that serve freely work their asses off and spend a lot of money to make the community beautiful, and I am not about to let anyone take advantage of that.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby FATCAMP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm just going to charge covers to keep handout hippies away...joking
I can't drink in class, so I dip hop cones ftw
FATCAMP

Previous

Return to Food & Drink