NO KIDS ALLOWED!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 pm

FIGJAM, It was only that you said something like, "just the way I like it"

I like this pic and wasn't sure if there was something there I was missing.

In the context of this thread, I thought maybe the absence of children was your point.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:29 pm

I think the example set by bm, both possitive and negitive, serve kids better than anything in defaultia.

I just noticed theres nobody in that pic but me.

Spooky. :o
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:16 am

Kids should be welcomed, irresponsible parents should be banned.
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:16 am

I can't stand kids. Just keep them quiet and out of my way. But, then again....I don't camp near kidsville.

I really don't care if kids attend BM....so long as I don't have to adjust my burn.

In '08 I remember seeing an infant in the arms of it's mother. Couldn't have been more than a couple months old.....in the middle of a harsh dust storm, walking down the steps of the Tower of Babylon.
I think that was just foolish and selfish.
I know that most parents would take more care and I bet the storm "Just happened" but that's BM for ya.

Bottom line, I could care less.....so long as my burn isn't ruined.
I know it sounds selfish, but like me....alot of people go to BM because of the freedoms we seem to enjoy that we don't find in Defaultia.

I think kidsville is brilliant! <---------way over there.
¡Niers!

Tossing around the idea of bringing my kid

Postby chakrakhan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm

I have a 5 year old that is absolutely dying to come. He helps me sew costumes wants to wear them, I am teaching him poi, he loves looking at the pictures of art cars and talks about going regularly. Boobies and weiners are no big deal for him as we are always in various stages of nakedness around the house...him more than us really. BUT I realize that if he comes it really becomes about him and making sure he is fed, watered and not going to pass out from heat stroke and not annoying others. While I look forward to seeing the delight on his face and sharing this amazing experience with him, I really do not want to think about making sure he isnt choking on dust. Sooooo....he takes his week long vacation to grandma and grandpa while we play. I love seeing kids and Burning Man, and my hat and bra goes off to the parents who share the experience with their kids. And I tip my hat to myself for realizing that I am not done being selfish and enjoying my week of being a kid myself.
chakrakhan

Postby Tropester » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:49 pm

I've not been to Burning Man yet, but i can see the OP's point. A desert isn't really the ideal environment for a child. Kids probably don't wanna be out in a remote place with alkaline dust all around, and sand in their eyes. On the flipside, the sharing, nudity, massive diversity and cultural enrichment could only improve a person... it's certainly an experience i'd have cherished as a child.

Still. I think this is one of those things that should be up to the parent and kid.

EDIT : Not the nudity itself, more the attitudes towards the human body. Don't want people getting the wrong idea XD
Tropester

Postby Sail Man » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:37 pm

My 8 yr old is going to burn #4 this year. Nothing fazes him, nothing, except the fire, and then his eyes go :shock: and then his face goes :D

I'm afraid if I try to go without him he will kick me in the nuts and ground me. :P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Oh, and to those parents who aren't sure if they want to bring their kids to the burn, if your on the fence about it. Then don't do it.

Only when your 100% on it should you bring them. Only when you understand 100% what your getting into, if you haven't been there, don't do it.

They will probably have a blast, especially if you stay in Kidsville as we do, but if your out there wigging out about every little thing, it will surely rub off on them.

The dust doesn't faze our little dudeman. Just keep them hydrated, plenty of their fav snacks and don't try to censor what they see because they are not looking at it in the context we are. Be attentive but don't cloister them.

We took him our first year and haven't looked back. He keeps asking when are we going back to the beach :lol: Until then we placate him with Lakes of Fire.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby The Bruce » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm

I cant wait to take my son to BRC. He will be nearly 5. I could leave him with grandma but I want burning man to be somthing we do together. He needs to experiance the diversity that burning man has to offer. I plan on camping in kidsville and will most likely go compleatly overbord with preperation just so i know he/we will be comfortable. Its not like im gonna just pitch a tent and call it good. I think is totally cool to bring your kin to BM but so should go yourself at least once before you do just so you know what your getting into and what to need ot prepare for so your child is safe and has a good time. See you in the dust :)
That which is above, is as that which is below, and that which is below is as that which is above.
The Bruce

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Molotov

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy