Decorating Yurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Decorating Yurts

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:26 am

Im sure tons of you have decorated your Yurts, Im working on my design for this year and was wondering if anyone had any tips or warnings.

I want to incorporate tons of fabrics and light to make it a warm and comfortable space. Can you decorate the interior walls as you please? Fabric vs paint inside?

Id love to see photos if you ahve them, thanks! :)
LindseyRaeFace

Postby lucky420 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:36 pm

I didn't like the big blue R and all the printed stuff that was on some of my outside roof panels. So I grabbed some white interior house paint that I had and painted over them. Didn't exactly cover it just turned the blue into red. So then I got some grey primer, used that and repainted with the white. Covered it all up pretty good. I did this about 3 days before leaving for the playa. When we got to BRC and were setting up the painted roof pieces were sweaty and the tape wasn't sticking so good. It did dry out and the tape eventually stuck but it was kind of an "oh shit" moment. I don't know if it was because the paint was water based and got sweaty but just wanted to pass this on.

Somewhere on eplaya there are some pics of someones yurt that is painted just gorgeous. Sorry can't remember the thread but try searching, there is a "hexayurt" thread and it may be on there.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:50 pm

I got sick and tired of buying paint only to have it not bond properly to anything.

I started using elastimer roof coating on anything I paint.

About 1/3 the cost of the best house paint you can buy and bonds to almost anything.

5gal.s is about $80 and its white so you would have to add color for designs, but the one coat coverage is great and it wheather proofs whatever you aply it to. :)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby lucky420 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks FigJam,
I plan to improve it this year and that sounds like just the ticket...
lucky420

Postby jkisha » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Most important thing to remember to do is to wash the panels well with a mild detergent. There is a thin coating of oil on both sides from the manufacturing process that will effect tape or paint from adhering properly.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:25 pm

jkisha wrote:Most important thing to remember to do is to wash the panels well with a mild detergent. There is a thin coating of oil on both sides from the manufacturing process that will effect tape or paint from adhering properly.

JK

Wont have to do that with roof coating!

They wanted $2000 to spray foam a travel trailer roof.

I needed more insulation on it, so I stuck the 2'' foam panels to the outside of the roof with great stuff in big S's, then 2 coat of the roof coating. $350 all in.

Withstood 80mpg no problem. :)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Wow thank you both. I really wanted to paint on it and hadnt found the right paint yet. it got my ideas going!

Thanks for the tip on wiping it down, that will help with some other ideas I had. I thought about doing fabric on the interior walls to make it feel warmer. Do you think this would be a bad idea? Im not sure how insulated it is, does what i do internally affect that process? (other than sealing the floor)
LindseyRaeFace

Postby lucky420 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 am

We hung tapestries on our interior walls. During one of the dusty afternoons (thur/fri) we started a mural on one of the interior roof panels that had been painted white. When we first started thinking about decorating the inside we were of mind to make it kind of look like "I Dream of Genie's" bottle with curtain sheers draped from the center of the roof and pulled over to the walls, etc. but after a few futile attempts on playa attempts that was abandoned...

It stayed warm during the day in the yurt, not hot but putting fabric on the walls for warmth might not really be necessary. It was warm enough in there at night too.
lucky420

Postby jkisha » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 am

lucky420 wrote:We hung tapestries on our interior walls. During one of the dusty afternoons (thur/fri) we started a mural on one of the interior roof panels that had been painted white. When we first started thinking about decorating the inside we were of mind to make it kind of look like "I Dream of Genie's" bottle with curtain sheers draped from the center of the roof and pulled over to the walls, etc. but after a few futile attempts on playa attempts that was abandoned...

It stayed warm during the day in the yurt, not hot but putting fabric on the walls for warmth might not really be necessary. It was warm enough in there at night too.

How did you fasten the tapestries to the walls?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby lucky420 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:03 am

big push pins but looking for something better next year. Maybe gorilla tape put on the walls before using the push pins, it would give the pins something a little tighter to hold on to.
lucky420

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 am

[quote="lucky420"] but after a few futile attempts on playa attempts that was abandoned...[quote]

What issues did you come up against? Just the fasteners? Because I want the look of warmth that fabric brings so I was thinking of a similar soft sheer fabric loungy feel. (Not actual temp warmth)
LindseyRaeFace

Postby lucky420 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:01 pm

lol our issues were laziness and oh screw it lets just get out and explore...
there were only 2 of us for the initial set up (with a little help from neighbors for the roof) This year we will put more thought into it before we go,

Be sure to bring a ladder for the center of the roof if you're going to have fabric hanging down from there.
lucky420

Return to Shelter & Camping