Vegan Food w/o a Cooler

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Vegan Food w/o a Cooler

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:37 pm

So, I have been asked by people how a vegan can surrvive out there with out a propane fridge or ice box or something similar, or even without a cooler. I am going to make a list of the things one can eat, totally without a cooler, stove, or anything else. TADA!

Carbs:
-Bagles
-Tortillas
-Pita
-Trader Joes or Tasty Bite pre-cooked rice packets
-dehydrated mashed potatoes (with a little water and olive oil, these will cook up nice in a foil wrapped container on the hood of your car!)

Protein
-Mori Nu shelf stable tofu packages (these plain with a little sho-yu or soy sauce is HEAVENLY)
-Veggie Chili
-Veggie Baked Beans
-Trader Joe's or Tasty Bite foil wrapped Asian meal packets (there are MANY vegan varieties)
-Canned Beans to make a 3 bean salad
-mixed nuts
-veggie jerky
-veggie refried beans (I prefer the TJ black refried beans)
-nut butters (almond is my fave)

Dry Pantry Items
-Dehydrated hummus mix
-Dehydrated tabbouleh mix
-Granola Bars
-Lara Bars
-dried fruit
-chips (potato and tortilla, I like to make "nachos" with tortilla chips, refried beans, jalapeno's, canned tomatoes/salsa, olives, and whatever else strikes your fancy)
-crackers (I especially love wheat thins)
-individual packages of shelf stable rice milk
-oreo's

Canned/Pickled/Jarred Items, Other
-Soups (there are MANY that are vegan, one of my favs out there is Amy's Thai Coconut Soup)
-Kimchi
-Sour Krout
-Pickles ANYTHING (mushrooms, cucumbers, asparagus...whatever you want)
-Dolmas (check greek or israeli markets, whole foods also has a canned one that is to DIE for, YUM)
-Canned veggies (whatever you like, you can add these to rice, in a pita with some hummus, or just eat them out of the can)
-Canned fruit (again, whatever is your preference out there. To me the canned pineapple chunks and the canned madarine oranges are the BEST, make SURE to get them in juice and not water)
-Yahuda Canned Hummus (find in Israeli or Kosher markets, it's magical)
-canned olives
-diced canned tomatoes
-canned green chilies

**tip for canned fruits and veggies, get the SMALLEST can's available, especially if you are cooking for only 1 or 2 people, then you wont have messy left overs**

Fresh Fruits and Veggies
-apples
-oranges
-onions
-melon
-carrots

**these will last unrefrigerated for a couple days, eat them up when you first arrive**

Condiments
-individual packets of mustard, ketchup, and relish
-malt vinegar
-salt and pepper
-Siracha
-Topatio
-Paprika
-Garlic Salt
-lemon pepper
-capers
-olive oil
-jam

**these will all last for a week without refrigeration**

Basically combine all these foods in whatever way you can dream up. You'll be eating a balance diet for the week. And you'll be eating like a king. Bon appetite.

NOTE:

Please know that sometimes, you'll crave meat like a mad person. If you give in and eat some bacon, don't hate yourself. It's a very strenuous climate, and salty, fatty, high protein foods are god. Try and eat a balanced diet and you'll avoid the temptation! :) Good luck out there, Vegans.
[/u]
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:14 pm

You're lucky I like you cuz I love pickin' on vegans. 8)

http://current.com/groups/veganism/9187 ... -vegan.htm
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:24 pm

C.f.M. wrote:You're lucky I like you cuz I love pickin' on vegans. 8)

http://current.com/groups/veganism/9187 ... -vegan.htm

We all know I am not a vegan anymore. Come now, CFM. But, it IS possible to be vegan on playa :) And I am sick of people asking me. I was vegan until my first burn. Sigh. Lovely.

And I like you too, CFM...damn...that's a little too cuddly for me. But ok.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Watch out for that veggie jerkey, the stuff I've tried was god-awful.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:41 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Watch out for that veggie jerkey, the stuff I've tried was god-awful.

I had a die-hard vegetarian friend. I got some Tofurkey bratwurst for a party, once, to grill for her. She took one bite and spit it out cartoon-style, it was high-larious. They were god awful.

I love cooking and eating vegan (and vegetarian and raw) but I don't go for that meat substitute shit.

Vegan food can be pretty good for camping, I've made daal and hummus, for example, and it does fine for days without refridgeration.
C.f.M.

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:39 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:Watch out for that veggie jerkey, the stuff I've tried was god-awful.

I had a die-hard vegetarian friend. I got some Tofurkey bratwurst for a party, once, to grill for her. She took one bite and spit it out cartoon-style, it was high-larious. They were god awful.

I love cooking and eating vegan (and vegetarian and raw) but I don't go for that meat substitute shit.

Vegan food can be pretty good for camping, I've made daal and hummus, for example, and it does fine for days without refridgeration.

Hahaha, I haven't tried tofurkey but the soyrizo is pretty gross. Imitation anything is nasty. I'd rather eat real cheese or meat. (even thought I avoid meat) I do like tempeh but it's sort of it's own thing altogether.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby psychoalpha » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Man, I ate like a (vegan) queen last year. I brought a ton of Tasty-Bites, nut butters, dried fruits, bagels, Lara Bars, etc, but never really needed any of it. My campmates brought a ton of fresh fruits and veggies and we had daily meals of stirfries, potato hash, fajitas, etc.

But yeah, totally possible to be vegan on the playa. I never got the meat-craving thing, but I did fiend for salt constantly.
psychoalpha

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Re: Vegan Food w/o a Cooler

Postby C187 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:59 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:Please know that sometimes, you'll crave meat like a mad person. If you give in and eat some bacon, don't hate yourself.

I wish I would of known you where a vegan at the start of the week.. then I could of watched you like a hawk and be all like, "noooooooooooooo!"
----
But yeah, if you feel tempted by the bacon, don't beat yourself up over it. Unless your tummy does it for you..

Like psychoalpha above, I've never had the craving to eat meat out on the playa. I wonder how many vegetarians or vegans get the bacon craving every year.. hum.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby psychoalpha » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:03 pm

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02 ... c=fb&cc=fp

Never for me, though. Always found bacon pretty gross.
psychoalpha

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Re: Vegan Food w/o a Cooler

Postby Eric » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:44 pm

C187 wrote:I wonder how many vegetarians or vegans get the bacon craving every year.. hum.

We brought some of the Morning Star bacon strips (I can't stand the other brands), and we nuked them on I think Thursday- nice & tasty, though not as good as fried. We were just lazy.

That's the first time I've had a bacon-like anything out there. Won't kill me if I never have it again. Take away my Bubbies pickles and I'll kill, however.

I've never had a problem being vegetarian out there. Never had a craving for meat on the playa, but I've been a veg for 23 years. I don't crave meat anyway.

I do bring some of the Primal Strips seitan jerky with me. I love the Texas BBQ & the Hickory Smoked, and they're just tasty.

I'm suddenly craving Kim Chee. Luckily I have some in the fridge.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:54 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote: Imitation anything is nasty.

Indeed. Better to find a way of just filling the need (for something grilled, perhaps) without resorting to attempting to make silk purses our of sow's ears. Nver going to work.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote: Imitation anything is nasty.

Indeed. Better to find a way of just filling the need (for something grilled, perhaps) without resorting to attempting to make silk purses our of sow's ears. Nver going to work.

My meat-eating boyfriend & I have to disagree. I haven't eaten meat in 23 years, so they taste fine to me, but he eats meat almost daily and enjoys some of the veggie meats (above mentioned bacon strips, Gimme Lean sausage, Tofurky Beer Brats & Field Roast "Mexican Chipotle" sausage are our favorites).

He'll cook them up for himself for dinner, not just when he's cooking for both of us.

Just because "most people" don't like something doesn't mean it actually tastes bad to everyone- even when I ate meat you couldn't pay me to eat blood sausage, head cheese, salted water bugs, roasted banana slugs, escargot, tripe... it doesn't mean those foods are "bad", just that they hit my gag reflex.

I don't tell the French there's no such things as a tasty snail or entrails, don't assume there's no way to make a tasty fake meat.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby werntonb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:42 pm

For the fruits and veggies I wonder how many days before they will become a sh*t?
werntonb

Postby Boijoy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:25 am

I was a vegitarian for abotu two days last year at the World Music Festival just becuase the food was SO good. Coconut Hummas was my favorite!
However, I turned into a "Joy Bomb" & that was all no good. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:20 pm

I went mostly vegan last year, completley veggie because meat just isnt my thing, and i found if you listen to your body you will be fine. If you are craving meat, you probably need protien, if youre craving something specifically salty, grab something that hits the spot. But if you eat well you shouldnt have any cravings. Im glad you mentioned not feeling bad if you give in. The bacon does smell good, but I couldnt bring myself to eat it.

If you pack a cooler and just dont want to go get ice (another guy mentioned this) its really easy to freeze some veggie/vegan meals and thaw/cook on the spot.

=)
LindseyRaeFace

Return to Food & Drink