Realistic non-cooler based menu planning

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby zatzbatz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 pm

That bacon in the can is supposed to be real good, but it's like 15 bucks so I think I will stick with regular bacon.
zatzbatz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:48 am

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:01 am

[quote="C.f.M."]Sorely lacking in fruit and vegetables...if you go this high sodium/carb packaged route, get some vitamins or something, too...[/quote].

Very true- By day 4 you can feel your body aching for vitamins. good solutions are V8 or nutritional drinks like Boost. Bomb in the mornings when you wake up hot and gross, down some liquid vitamins and start the day with some water and youll be a happy camper :)
LindseyRaeFace
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:45 am
Location: California

Postby LostinReno » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:17 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Image




There is just something so very wrong with that! :shock:
User avatar
LostinReno
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:57 pm
Location: 4:30 & G
Burning Since: 2009

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 pm

I dont even know how to feel about that.

I still get past the laughter when I see cans of "Batter Blaster"

Image
LindseyRaeFace
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:45 am
Location: California

Re: Just because I already had them...

Postby Magpie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:17 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
karabrugger wrote:We're going totally freeze dried from backpacker's country and mountain house foods. You can get them at REI or campmor or any camping shop really. I just happen to already have them so that's what we're eating.


I've had a few of those and they taste really good. Kinda expensive though. I like the breakfast (egg) ones. That'd be pretty tough to keep fresh eggs from spoiling out there.


Eggs don't spoil easily at all! We brought them with us last year. Fresh eggs don't even have to be on ice. I didn't know this until I went to the UK a few years ago and noticed that the eggs in grocery stores are kept on shelves at room temp, usually by the bread. The shells have a protective coating that keeps them from spoiling.

Hard boiled is a different matter though. They need to be refrigerated.
User avatar
Magpie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:46 am

Postby red arrow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:47 am

its all about the candwich ese

Image
"...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant..." - Hunter S Thompson
red arrow
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:21 am

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:28 am

Bump jus' cuz ahhhhh liiiiike this thread.

Image
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:22 am

Think historical. What did people eat in the desert before refrigeration?
Consider a middle-eastern-style "meze" platter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meze
Any decent middle eastern reestaurant should have a platter of falafel, hummus, tabbouleh, babaganoush, olives and pita bread.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16324
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby phil » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 am

Shelf-stable sandwiches from Bridgford are supposed to have a 3-year shelf life:
http://www.bridgfordfoodservice.net/rea ... /index.php

Image

I'm not sure I'll try one. They're four bucks each on Amazon.
User avatar
phil
 
Posts: 2975
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Codgerville

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 pm

I'm sure that once the death toll from taht sandwich reaches 100 they'll take it off the market.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37437
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Think historical. What did people eat in the desert before refrigeration?
Consider a middle-eastern-style "meze" platter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meze
Any decent middle eastern reestaurant should have a platter of falafel, hummus, tabbouleh, babaganoush, olives and pita bread.


I always see babaganoush and hummus refrigerated in stores. I bet they'd spoil pretty quick, but yeah, the base ingredients would last for a long time without refrigeration. It'd be kind of a pain to smash up chickpeas out there. :)
User avatar
mudpuppy000
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby LittleJack » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:43 am

Has anyone tried the Heatermeals? http://www.heatermeals.com/

This is the company that makes the self-heating units for military MRE's. They realized that MRE's are great for young soldiers in combat who need lots and lots of calories, fat, sodium, whatever, but that civilians wanted the convenience of this type of meal. Thus, they started making these Heatermeals.

They've got 6 different ones, and on the website they only seem to sell them in 12 packs for $56. I'd like to try one, but not enough to buy a case of them.
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
User avatar
LittleJack
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 2:20 pm
Location: Alameda, CA
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby jerroc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 am

Heatermeal are ok. You pay more for the concept than for good food. But I have tried most of them and I'm still alive.
jerroc
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:38 am
Location: Oregon

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:14 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Think historical. What did people eat in the desert before refrigeration?
Consider a middle-eastern-style "meze" platter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meze
Any decent middle eastern reestaurant should have a platter of falafel, hummus, tabbouleh, babaganoush, olives and pita bread.


I always see babaganoush and hummus refrigerated in stores. I bet they'd spoil pretty quick, but yeah, the base ingredients would last for a long time without refrigeration. It'd be kind of a pain to smash up chickpeas out there. :)


I'm not a big fan of the mashed eggplants, but dates and olives are standard desert fare.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16324
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby phil » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 am

> Has anyone tried the Heatermeals?

Louise and I always bring Heatermeals with us. I wouldn't want to live off them for the entire event, but they're reasonably good and reasonably warm. We use them especially during dust storms when we need to eat and don't want to try starting up the camp stove to cook. See our page at
http://www.cieux.com/bm/quickMeals.html
for links to similar meals. We've tried some; I found one brand that gave me heartburn every time I ate one, so I recommend trying these things out before you get on the playa.

We use Heatermeals exactly for the reasons you stated: lower calories, lower sodium, etc. Real MREs have a whole day's worth in every meal. Maybe a week's worth. :->

Search basspro.com for Heatermeals; the sell them for seven buck each plus shipping. Google says Cabella's sells them individually for the same price. Look around on the Web and see if you can't find a store near you.
User avatar
phil
 
Posts: 2975
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Codgerville

Postby ¡Niers! » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:57 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:I always see babaganoush and hummus refrigerated in stores. I bet they'd spoil pretty quick, but yeah, the base ingredients would last for a long time without refrigeration. It'd be kind of a pain to smash up chickpeas out there. :)


I don't know about babaganoush, but I know I've seen hummus mix before. I've seen it in the bulk section in a health food store, in dry form. I think instructions are to just add water. Maybe hot water?
I think that's a great idea! Make what you want, when you want.
User avatar
¡Niers!
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Eugene, Oregon

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:06 am

¡Niers! wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:I always see babaganoush and hummus refrigerated in stores. I bet they'd spoil pretty quick, but yeah, the base ingredients would last for a long time without refrigeration. It'd be kind of a pain to smash up chickpeas out there. :)


I don't know about babaganoush, but I know I've seen hummus mix before. I've seen it in the bulk section in a health food store, in dry form. I think instructions are to just add water. Maybe hot water?
I think that's a great idea! Make what you want, when you want.




..I have dryed refried beans..Get them in bulk @ Winco.. Might try drying some salsa..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8808
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby ¡Niers! » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:28 am

I'm personally trying to stay away from processed foods and hydrogenated oils and preservatives.
My solution? A large propane RV fridge/freezer. I don't expect to need ice for anything but a cooler full of booze. But I'm also trying to stay away from beer, so I think I'll be packing alot of hard-A....so even less need for ice.

I'm sure I'll bring extra cooler space and money for ice just in case.
User avatar
¡Niers!
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Eugene, Oregon

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Mmmm, I'll have to keep an eye out for the hummus mix, that sounds great.
User avatar
mudpuppy000
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:23 pm

Hummus is fine not refridgerated. Course, mine hasn't ever really lasted longer than a couple of days.

I've made large pots of daal, that sat out for several days and it was fine, too.

I got my first cooler for BM2009, until then I'd done camping/festivals/burns without one.
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Realistic non-cooler based menu planning

Postby Shawn til Dawn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm

[quote="junglesmacks"] I've heard Trader Joe's has some killer Indian food pouches or something?[/quote]

I eat these every year but I buy them at Indian markets. Much cheaper and larger selection.
Shawn til Dawn
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:30 pm
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Burning Since: 1998

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:00 am

I don't bring perishable food. Canned, dry, foil pouches. The cooler is to hold the frozen water, that I drink as cold water during the week, and other beverages, I freeze what I can, and try to chill the canned drinks before I put them in the cooler. If I make something and have leftovers (dammit bill) I can put them in the coolers to last until the next meal. plural coolers? yes, I have two small coolers. One I wrap in reflectix and don't open until halfway through the week.

crackers, salmon in a pouch, chicken noodle soup (add sundried tomato, nori, furikake sprinkle, chili oil... but I just like it regular mainly) couscous (add salmon, veggies,) pasta box with canned veggies added, dry milk, olive oil, granola, canned fruit (nice chilled,) chips (salty snacks are good,) dried fruit, nuts (I make a big bowl of trail mix, and put it in small bags.. . grab and go) I collect my basics throughout the year as pantry earthquake stuff. Then I hit Trader Joes for treats before I go. I get things I've never tried, and bring them out as a shared adventure during the week, or take it to a pot luck sort of thing, or cocktail time. dry chili mango? lime chili cashews? dry chili pineapple? (o.k. I like chili) olives, pickles, pickled ginger... inari sushi (tofu pouches come in a can!) there's so much fun stuff, food as toys.
Image

Phil has a good point about being able to have a decent meal if there is a long dust storm. I need a better plan for that... I ate trail mix for lunch and dinner a couple years ago, and it got old.

whole foods has a great bulk hummus mix, add water and olive oil. very creamy yummy
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 4479
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:00 am

This needs a BUMP, because the people who are too lazy to search have started to appear. Maybe if it's right in front of their faces they wont ask stupid questions.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
User avatar
VeganChoirGirl
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:02 am

(VCG)
Because sometimes life* is so darned annoying!



*or eplayans are
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37437
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:01 am

/

Yesterday I cleaned the 7day cooler (9 trips to BM) It's go into the garade sale.. This years cooler will be a 5gal. Iglo water/drink cooler wraped in a solor blanet.. I have found two containers that water frozen in can fit inside the cooler.. Leaving a little space for some fruit/veggies.. That and a 5gal colapsable jug and a 5gal shower bag should be enough water for me.. In the past I have had to pour water over the ice for cold drinking..

Having to rethink space due to gas prices.. 15 gallons of water is 125lb.

No tined food this year.. Premade and vac-packed/dryed.. It
s just a camping trip
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8808
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon May 09, 2011 9:26 am

Savannah wrote:Reposted from the 4-page Food Thread with a few additions, my non-refrigerated, non-fussy food list.

Breakfast:

* Shredded wheat & Horizon farms non-refrigerated milk (I often chill it, but it's not mandatory)
* Canned espresso

Lunch:

* Underwood's Devilled chicken on whole grain bread*, or
* Peanut butter and jelly or honey

Dinner:

* Tuna/Salmon packets (vacuum-sealed)
* Trader Joe’s rice/jambalaya packs

Canned chili or ravioli is also good. You can heat it, but you don't have to. I will also be adding a variety of pickled foods to my list this year.

Portable snacks: Jerky, Granola bars, Nuts, Gingersnaps (& Ginger candy in the 1st aid kit, settles tummies) Pretzels/chips, Dried fruit, Fruit cups.

And of course, juice, soda, pedialyte, beer & spirits.

Don't forget a can opener, bottle opener/corkscrew, dishes and utensils, salt & pepper (etc), a mug with a caribeener, & drawstring garbage bags for your garbage & recycling.


* Here is the trick I use to keep bread edible for 5-6 days: buy it on the way--a few hours before entering BRC. I don't chill it, because I feel there is too much risk of it getting it wet--your mileage may vary. Open it at least once a day, and let it breath for a while (20-30 minutes, whatever) to get the moisture out. This goes against my real-world habits in a really big way & can feel pretty strange--it would normally be a great way to get immediately stale bread. However, it has worked for me every time, no less than 5 days of good bread, sometimes more. Still, however, I make sure to consume a lot of bread in the first few days especially, so that if it goes bad it's no big deal.

(This year I will also try tortillas, and also air them out.)


I'm getting hungry and I think I'll camp near you. Your post sounds tasty.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
User avatar
Super Evil Brian
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Ubiquitous, Black Rock City, Austin
Burning Since: 2011

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:
Savannah wrote:Reposted from the 4-page Food Thread with a few additions, my non-refrigerated, non-fussy food list.

Breakfast:

* Shredded wheat & Horizon farms non-refrigerated milk (I often chill it, but it's not mandatory)
* Canned espresso

Lunch:

* Underwood's Devilled chicken on whole grain bread*, or
* Peanut butter and jelly or honey

Dinner:

* Tuna/Salmon packets (vacuum-sealed)
* Trader Joe’s rice/jambalaya packs

Canned chili or ravioli is also good. You can heat it, but you don't have to. I will also be adding a variety of pickled foods to my list this year.

Portable snacks: Jerky, Granola bars, Nuts, Gingersnaps (& Ginger candy in the 1st aid kit, settles tummies) Pretzels/chips, Dried fruit, Fruit cups.

And of course, juice, soda, pedialyte, beer & spirits.

Don't forget a can opener, bottle opener/corkscrew, dishes and utensils, salt & pepper (etc), a mug with a caribeener, & drawstring garbage bags for your garbage & recycling.


* Here is the trick I use to keep bread edible for 5-6 days: buy it on the way--a few hours before entering BRC. I don't chill it, because I feel there is too much risk of it getting it wet--your mileage may vary. Open it at least once a day, and let it breath for a while (20-30 minutes, whatever) to get the moisture out. This goes against my real-world habits in a really big way & can feel pretty strange--it would normally be a great way to get immediately stale bread. However, it has worked for me every time, no less than 5 days of good bread, sometimes more. Still, however, I make sure to consume a lot of bread in the first few days especially, so that if it goes bad it's no big deal.

(This year I will also try tortillas, and also air them out.)


I'm getting hungry and I think I'll camp near you. Your post sounds tasty.


Sav is a very cool customer. She has her situation down pat! :D I got a cot like her's this year, because she always looks so well rested. AND she always looks impossibly fresh. Seriously lady, you're awesome.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
User avatar
VeganChoirGirl
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby Savannah » Mon May 09, 2011 2:28 pm

I always look well-rested??* You're being dangerously nice. Just what are you up to over there? Is it my devilled chicken you're after? (I can hardly blame you. It's the most seductive of the commercially available meat pastes.) :lol:

* If I don't sleep at least 6 hours a night, my sanity starts circling the drain.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon May 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Savannah wrote:I always look well-rested??* You're being dangerously nice. Just what are you up to over there? Is it my devilled chicken you're after? (I can hardly blame you. It's the most seductive of the commercially available meat pastes.) :lol:

* If I don't sleep at least 6 hours a night, my sanity starts circling the drain.


Is that sort of similar to pastrami being the most sensuous of lunch meats?

And, I thought about a cot, but I have a big air mattress instead. Then again, you can tape me to the wall upside down and I'll probably irritate you with my snoring. I'm like an 8-year-old in that I run around screaming and yelling until it's sleep time, then fal asleep mid-sentence.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
User avatar
Super Evil Brian
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Ubiquitous, Black Rock City, Austin
Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 pm

I think you meant:
I'm like an 8-year-old in that I run around screaming and yelling until it's sleep time, then fal asle--
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37437
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BoyScoutGirl and 1 guest