Art Car Day Spa on the Playa??? POLL

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City

Is a Day Spa Art Car a Good Idea?

Yes
38%
Yes
38%
No
13%
No
13%

Total votes: 48

TimberNala

Art Car Day Spa on the Playa??? POLL

Post by TimberNala » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:19 am

I would like to design an art car for use in the day, something like a 'day spa car', warm shower, followed by facial, hand and foot massage, or full body lotion rub down....a variety of massage toys....smell good stuff...ect...tempory spots on the playa...to try to cut down on mud holes...

on another note, if we did decide to do our dayspa car, can you point me to the rules about showering on the playa? I have read about gray water, but do not understand that term or the rules about it fully, and wonder if a warm shower station prior to the massages would not be wise, as it would surly leave mud on the playa...(I have also heard of building an evaporating pond, do these work?)
(we saw a free shower station by our camp and gladly used it, and when they left there was a HUGE mud pit.) was that bad? I know that dumping food, sauce, body fluids, car fluids ect are damaging and would never do anything to break the law.
Any advise or link to some rules would help this newbie couple make a difference on the 2004 playa.
thx
~~~virgins no longer~~~

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not the Placer.

Good idea, but some considerations

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:03 pm

I think your biggest challenge would be the shower idea. Greywater disposal is one big problem, especially on a mobile platform, but simply bringing enough water to keep things going all week could be another. The folks from Astral Headwash have tons of experience with that kind of thing and could probably give you good advice on both counts, though even they were running out of water late in the week.

Massage and simple pampering, on the other hand, seems like a much easier goal. One of my campmates was musing about creating something similar, especially for the artists out on the playa that might not have time to come back to the bodywork camps in town. I can put you in touch with him if you'd like.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to put some thought into how you want to manage the load -- my guess is you'll likely have more demand than you can easily handle.
Last edited by Papa Bear on Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papa Bear

nymphgonebad

Post by nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:55 pm

most day spa treatments require massive amounts of water. instead, perhaps concentrating on spa services that don't require ( much ) h2o, such as manicures and pedicures, might work better. nice way to combat playa hand and foot disease. mobile massage is also a great idea.

if you pull this off, i'd be happy to work on it. i had a special playa manicure that will rock your world!

the princess

The Bass

Post by The Bass » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:20 pm

i call the shower car idea "THE IDEA" - i've heard it, oh, about a dozen times (literally) from people (always guys) who were dead set on doing it..."next year!". ranges from a single shower to, usually, a huge truck just covered with showers (up to 50). i guess this also includes the "swimming pool on wheels" which i've heard a few times.

never saw one of them show up with the thing the next year.

i have concluded that it's hard to do.

Atomic Gardener

Post by Atomic Gardener » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:31 pm

Of course, there's always the cold (from a cooler?) baby wipe idea...give as many as they want to the person (or do it for them if they are into that... or if they are shy and/or really want to scrub their ass with a few you might set up a small portable privacy area)..give them a baggie to put them in (or wear some latex gloves and go to it).....spritz where they want spritzed (scented H20 or no of course) with your equally cooled water and TADA.....I gave out cooled and regular happy hippie baby wipes this year (got at Wild Oats in Reno) and they were REALLY appreciated. I also saw (and got a dog from) the Hot Dog Stand guy on the way to the Man this year.....he just wheels out there and sets up shop for a few hours a day.....much appreciated! My thought is you might have more of a temporary camp set up that is portable versus a structure with wheels on it (but who knows.....you might be one of those welding/engineering types that will amaze us all!). Drop me a line if you get it going...I'd love to do a shift or two. AG

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:48 pm

Off topic but the hot dog stand shocked me just by being there....and it helped me understand true gifting vs. barter or trade.

Back on topic, the really cold unscented baby wipe idea would be easy to do and very much appreciated!

TimberNala

Post by TimberNala » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:48 am

well, I have been thinking about it, I don't know if this is possible, my man would have to help me...we have a muffler shop, and welders and all tools and such...he is an awescome fabricater....

also have an open wood floored -3 wide dirtbike- trailer...thinking of building a frame around the edges of the trailer out of steel or rebar, somehow attaching the frame to the trailer and packing our stuff inside frame and covering with tarp to get to BRC...

...laying down artificial turff and wraping sheer fabric around the frame, offering some privacy....shade for driver, thinking our quad can pull the trailer...
Two stations at the rear corners where the rebar would form a hook above 6feet- to hold two sprayers (the kind you pump and spray with a triggered nozzle..weedkiller sprayers at homedepot...)
fill partly with water and top it off with boiling water to make it warm...

I like the baby wipe idea...will offer them... they do leave residue soap....so a misty warm rinse may help with that...not alot of water, but gets the dust and smell off...and a moving station would leave less puddles = evaporate.

towards the front of the trailer would be pillows set up where rubdowns with scented types of lotions....sunblocks....oils....massage toys....could be offered...(no harsh chemicals like nailpolish remover, polish ect..)
would have a garbage tub for wipes
thinking of making soap and hand towles to give away...as a token for riding our art...
Two couples at a time...helping eachother hold shower nozzles & trading rubdowns...ect...I would love to assist if needed.
20 min ride around the suburb area, drop off and pick up...at random~or create a stop on the playa w/ shade and a bench...
that way we can work when we want and drop the trailer at camp when we want to participate in other events.....

FAR FETCHED? give me feedback...
~~~virgins no longer~~~

scarlet_minnow

Post by scarlet_minnow » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:52 pm

TimberNala-- that sounds fan-freaking-tastic! I will definately be looking for you in 2004.
One idea for you... I brought Biore facial cloths to Burning Man and they truly are the bomb. They are just single-use cloths, like baby wipes, but they do not leave behind any nasty residue. Just make your face feel clean and soft. And I also have sensitive skin, so I can vouch for their gentleness as well.
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:35 pm

The more I read about this, the more I like it. As long as the quad gets some art loving too....this sounds like it would have little trouble with DMV....it might not be an art car but it provides such a nice service to BRC that it should get approval with ease.

If you decide to green light this idea, keep us informed of how it goes. I hope you build it and we get to see it in 04!

multiple

Post by multiple » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:23 pm

I realize this is SUCH a silly question, but what is DMV another special force on the playa? where do i find them? or faq...(i will go look now)
and as for the quad being a part of the art, I suppose my husband would balk at pompom fuzzies all over ...) but ........
how about paper mache scupltures of couples entwined around the frame and on the front bumper of the quad(not really a bumper but a rack) shooting for the sheer~sexy~sheek thing with see through fabrics, maybe bells or wind chimes hanging from the rebar frame....why don't you come with me, little girl on a magic carpet ride.....

hoping you all keep the ideas flowing and I will gather info about the regulations of an art car...

I am a "rule book follower" and like to reserch things first...

as for the frame idea, husband says it would be easy to make - stable enough to hold weight...and stay attached to the trailer (SAFETY FIRST)
he is worried about bringin enough water....(as it is heavy) to carry...
I was thinking that I'd strap 50 2 gallon jugs to the roof of our surburban if i have to!!!!!!
but even then, it may not last for more than 2 days......I remember seeing a "peeing" lady shower ~ bring your own water?
....do it again!

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:37 pm

Dept. of Mutant Vehicles....a group that I expect will see a lot more attention and space in the JRS as everyone looks at Kathy Lampman's tragic loss and how to prevent repeats.

I love the magic carpet ride idea for the quad art. I just hope you build it and bring it out. I don't have ideas to add yet but I can offer encouragement because I just like the whole idea.

TimberNala

Post by TimberNala » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:56 am

Thank all of you for your support and encouragement....

Kinetic...
I have read about your experience bringing your sister and would love to meet you on the playa...you can bet this will somehow make it for BM04
thanks for the tips...

as for the quad....don't think that will work because it is in my man's brain that it is too loud and hard to start...he is working on gettin something to pull it though....

I think he is up for the task but not nearly as excited about it as I....

maybe if I play sexkitten a few more times....and lay out the fact that our art car could couple as a "romperroom" at night....lol...
~~~virgins no longer~~~

Troy Van Berry

Mobile Art?

Post by Troy Van Berry » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:02 pm

2 questions.
Why mobile( why can't the folks come to you?)
What art?(a decorated spa problably won't cut it)

The DMV has said they will be very strick next year on what passes as mobile art.

good luck!
The art is in the details

nymphgonebad

Re: Mobile Art?

Post by nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:20 pm

Troy Van Berry wrote:2 questions.

The DMV has said they will be very strick next year on what passes as mobile art.

good luck!
2 answers:

a) they can and do.
b) i'm not sure what you mean. as someone who decorates with empty nitrous cartridges, i tend to believe a little feng shui can go a long way.....
Last edited by nymphgonebad on Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:20 pm

Troy Van Berry wrote:2 questions.

good luck!
People could come to them but an unfortunate comment I heard this year was that some people only made it out to the man, along parts of the esplanade and back to their theme camp. So while they saw a lot of stuff, they missed a lot more. I know people that if it was more than 3 streets back or deeper than karmic circle, they didn't bother or seem to have time to go explore it. If you took the spa out on the playa you have the chance to gift your services / art / whatever to a much larger group.

And you get the added benefit of having an art car to explore the wholly other and other places with....if your stationary you have to rely on the Who/What/Where, Playa Info (excluding Flux, a very sorry group for me this year), the Playa Info bulletin boards, or word of mouth. All of those have impact but nothing like the exposure you get being on playa just past the esplanade or beyond.

Again I like the idea but the wild card here is the new DMV rules. With Kathy's loss, you can bet there's going to be some serious changes to the mutant vehicle permit process.

(No scooter ban for 04! Electric or Gas! Educate before you regulate.)

nymphgonebad

Post by nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:32 pm

Kinetic wrote:People could come to them but an unfortunate comment I heard this year was that some people only made it out to the man, along parts of the esplanade and back to their theme camp. So while they saw a lot of stuff, they missed a lot more. I know people that if it was more than 3 streets back or deeper than karmic circle, they didn't bother or seem to have time to go explore it. If you took the spa out on the playa you have the chance to gift your services / art / whatever to a much larger group.
while i agree with everthing you just said, healers travel all over the playa to work on people. i was one of the guilty goths who didn't make it out of the camp much. often, one or more of us will go to totem, heebeegeebees,sinner camp or one of the many, many healing camps on the playa, so we can work on the healers. often as not, a healer will walk into a camp and offer their services to anyone who cares to partake. there's a lot to be said for reaching the masses, but if you're too lazy to find someone to give you a massage, when you can barely walk ten feet without knocking over someone's massage chair, then i suggest you must be spending the entire time sleepwalking.

TimberNala

Post by TimberNala » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:42 pm

Moble for a few reasons...

1. for exposure, and to bring service to the artists at the far reaches of the playa as well as cold beverages...

2. if in fact this is allowed, i would make or purchase biodegradable soap, leaving much less water as the watertrucks everyone loves so much! Keeping the dust down...(have to get further info on the restrictions..

3. I don't want to be 'stuck' in our camp, would like to go here or there picking up people as we go....learning our BRC....kinda like the icecream man..stop me when im passin by...

4. I think it would be cool to dub the dayspa into a night time thing as well...

Since I am not sure what the theme is for next year it is hard to say where I will take this, but fair not....I've imagination I intend to use with this....
It may not work exactly as I first dream, but I am determined...to become an active citizen of BRC... even if im considered a newbie....

I have learned so much by just reading these threads, and can't get rid of that tingling urge to just....aghhh...go home...
~~~virgins no longer~~~

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:43 pm

1. Anyone can go to a spa in ordinary, run-of-the-mill, real life. I think the twist put on the spa here, i.e., coming to people, is a good spin.

2. I didn't realize we were judging the quality of art at BM, or anywhere, for that matter. I have no doubt that people creative enough to come up with a mobile day spa are quite capable of making it "artistic."
To answer this question, we'd have to go into "what is art" and that's just a hornet's nest waiting not to be poked.

nymphgonebad

Post by nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:46 pm

TimberNala wrote: I think it would be cool to dub the dayspa into a night time thing as well...
you could call it the "do-right-all-night-day-spa" art car.

TimberNala

Post by TimberNala » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:43 pm

princess strych-9 wrote:
TimberNala wrote: I think it would be cool to dub the dayspa into a night time thing as well...
you could call it the "do-right-all-night-day-spa" art car.
eeeexxxactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~~~virgins no longer~~~

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:17 am

Kinetic wrote: If you took the spa out on the playa you have the chance to gift your services / art / whatever to a much larger group.
I don't think the main benefit of mobility would be in reaching larger numbers of people. Myt guess is it would be swamped either way (we sure were). The thing I like is that it would let you reach people who might never otherwise take the time off necessary to search out/wait for a healer.

As an example, the highlight of my week was doing a housecall on Friday afternoon for a Ranger who was getting married that evening. She didn't have time to seek us out, so some of her friends arranged to bring me to her. Similarly, I imagine you'll find plenty of artists way out there on the playa who could use some TLC but won't allow themselves enough of a break to go find it.

It's not just the recipients that would benefit, though. As a healer, I know I'd love to have something like this available myself. It would make it a lot easier to get out and see things and interact with people while still giving the gift of healing. Sure, I can work on the ground if needed, but having a table and a shaded space makes things so much easier.

If this thing becomes a reality, let me know. I'll be happy to sign up for a shift or two.
Papa Bear

nymphgonebad

Post by nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:56 am

Papa Bear wrote:
Kinetic wrote: If you took the spa out on the playa you have the chance to gift your services / art / whatever to a much larger group.
I don't think the main benefit of mobility would be in reaching larger numbers of people. Myt guess is it would be swamped either way (we sure were). The thing I like is that it would let you reach people who might never otherwise take the time off necessary to search out/wait for a healer.

As an example, the highlight of my week was doing a housecall on Friday afternoon for a Ranger who was getting married that evening. She didn't have time to seek us out, so some of her friends arranged to bring me to her. Similarly, I imagine you'll find plenty of artists way out there on the playa who could use some TLC but won't allow themselves enough of a break to go find it.

It's not just the recipients that would benefit, though. As a healer, I know I'd love to have something like this available myself. It would make it a lot easier to get out and see things and interact with people while still giving the gift of healing. Sure, I can work on the ground if needed, but having a table and a shaded space makes things so much easier.

If this thing becomes a reality, let me know. I'll be happy to sign up for a shift or two.
hey, papabear - where's my fucking trade :?

sorry, couldn't resist. this is what happens when you substitute painkillers for therapy.

TimberNala

Post by TimberNala » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:36 am

Papa Bear wrote: If this thing becomes a reality, let me know. I'll be happy to sign up for a shift or two.

You bet! I hope others like you will see us and do the same...even if it is not a full on shower experience, it will be reviving for the soul...and feet and backandhandsandlips...ect....

I know that it will not be approved until I am actually there...and then I could be limited to the playa only, so I am trying to figure out the best way to do this so we qualify to ride the back streets as well, (that is my goal, to get to all the little places....) big isn't always better....

random intimacy with a few thousand people.....

iamaseeker
~~~virgins no longer~~~

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:41 am

princess strych-9 wrote:
hey, papabear - where's my fucking trade :?

sorry, couldn't resist. this is what happens when you substitute painkillers for therapy.
Ask and ye shall receive. I have a couple of errands to run in the city on Saturday, and it would be no trouble at all to cross the bridge for a visit. Failing that, maybe an evening early next week?

Send me an email and we'll work something out.
Papa Bear

creevamp13

wonderful gift

Post by creevamp13 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:45 pm

Hello,
I am a true playa virgin, 04 will be my first. I have zero Burning man experience, however I have over 8 years in the beauty industry. And I can tell you weather @ BRC or NYC everyone loves to be pampered.
The wipes are a great idea, with a personal touch. Who wouldnt love to be hosed with some cold cloth after a day of heat, fun, and personal development??
If you need a hand, I would be happy to help deliever services to the masses with you. What a beautiful concept. Go for it, and make it good!

- Cyn

Release Me

Post by Release Me » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:10 pm

Count me in too. I'm in for a couple of shifts for the possibility of a little pampering myself. My suggestion...keep track of those who offer assistance and as this project becomes closer to fruitation, pull in all resources...share the burden of this great idea!

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”