gross ebay post

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

gross ebay post

Postby curiousgnate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 pm

check out this ad on ebay fucking disgusting! http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0647559539
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby curiousgnate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:38 pm

i just spoke with Kevin and he feels that he is fulfilling a need. he equated his "service" with that of the AOL people who chartered in and couldn't cook for themselves or clean up after themselves. WOW radical self reliance out the freakin window!
curiousgnate

Postby zcassidy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:39 pm

No way... I just hope that some obsessively creative, overly educated, extremely upset, and sufficiently caffeinated burner made that up to give me disturbing thoughts tonight of what could be.

At the same time though, if this is for real, and someone actually pays for this service, I hope they camp next to me. I love meeting new people.
Be absurd with your goodness
zcassidy

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 am

Doesn't say if that includes tickets.
gyre

Postby curiousgnate » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

it does include tix. and i hope that people will connect with him via his # at the bottom of the page and let him know what you think about his wonderful scheme to get 10 people to pay70,000$ + to go to burning man and not really experience it! i know that somehow mods will try to make this not happen but i encourage them to let it happen for as long as possible. thank you and respect to the mods. peace out!
curiousgnate

Postby Risky » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 am

The tickets are there - third paragraph, end of sentence three:
(10) Tickets to Burningman.
Risky

Postby curiousgnate » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 am

sorry zcassidy but alas this is what has come to be. call him and talk to him let him know that however many burns he has been to he doesn't get it!
curiousgnate

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:32 am

I've reported it to the BMorg for possible copyright violation.

It's in their court now.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby curiousgnate » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:35 am

sorry just really fucking pissed off. come on people tell this shit head that he is not what our event is about! I really find this disgusting. I haven't been this pissed off in a long long time! wtf there is no justification for someone calling themselves a burner and then doing this. I mean do I have to go over all of the principles? please call him and then post here what happened
curiousgnate

Postby curiousgnate » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:48 am

thanks Eric. hope it is violation of some sort, but it prob is ok. fucking capitalists. hahahahahaaa
curiousgnate

Postby jkisha » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:48 am

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's certainly not the first time this has been done. In fact, the big yurt camp did something similar just last year and all the participants had a great time.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:49 am

So you think he's overcharging?
gyre

Postby jkisha » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:52 am

gyre wrote:So you think he's overcharging?

I think that question will be answered by the outcome of the auction. If it sells, it was priced fairly--for the person who bought it.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 am

This has been going on for a couple years now, it's all legit.

I didn't bother reading into it but they also let you use an artcar if I remember correctly.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:18 am

The trip itself is not a violation of the copyright. Use of the name in the auction might be.

Personally, I wouldn't do the event this way; but if it gets some rich people out of their bubble and seeing something as different & inspiring as Burning Man I don't have a problem with it.

"Radical Self-Reliance" means making sure you can survive out there. Just because someones rich enough to have a staff to do it may not be how we would, but when you're used to a life at a completely different level than most of us here how can we fault them?

I had some of "those people" camp half a block from me this past year- no bother, no interference with my event, from what I heard they thought it was amazing. They were also apparently "hollywood" people and all their costumes covered the face so they could enjoy themselves in peace. I saw one of them at the corner of Esplanade & 3:30 one night standing in his "sheik" outfit just staring across the playa in wonder. I waved, he waved back, I continued on. I think he "got it".

To put this in some perspective:
I know a woman who is a "Planner" for some of SF's richest people- the lives they live are so far outside of mine that I have trouble wrapping my head around the stories I've heard from her. Like spending several hundred dollars to wrap the key for the new Mercedes, but then being so busy you don't have time to pick it up for a month. Spending thousands every year to get the new personal phone-books looking right for each house (SF, New York, Hawaii, Miami....,and to match their separate offices in each house). Gifts at a dinner party for 6 or 10 (I can't remember which) that ran $1,000 a person, and were themed for the event. Good god, there's more but I can't tell them without names which I'm not going to do. She doesn't need to be as unemployed as me.

The moral of this blabber?

Just like you don't want anyone telling you how to Burn, don't assume that everyone wants to tell someone else how to do theirs.

I wonder if I'll be as nice to the rich people when the medicine wears off?

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:50 am

I guess I'm thankful I'm not rich.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:39 am

Heres hoping they become good burners..

Returning each year.. Bring arts and gifts to the man..
unjonharley

Postby jerroc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 am

I can see how this could be upsetting but in all honestly its going to happen more and more until the event leans more towards the party concept then the culture and art concept. BMorg's own fault for not putting a cap on the event. Nothing we can do but enjoy what's left. And then we still have regionals. So not all is lost.
jerroc

Postby jerroc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 am

unjonharley wrote:Heres hoping they become good burners..

Returning each year.. Bring arts and gifts to the man..

He's hoping to make out like a bandit. Its very clear he does not care about BM.
jerroc

Postby d6 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 am

dammit!
if only hotshot the robot had been charging for "services", he may have been able to afford those new diamond encrusted tire stem caps............

i saw plenty of egregious (to me) uses of money while i ran a maintenance company on tahoe's n.shore, it's somewhat insulating to live that way.

oh well, only $94,999.99 to go before i can finally win burning man.
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby Speedbump » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:34 am

Anyone that would buy this package
1. Does not understand what BM is.
2. Does not need to be there.
3. Will not understand what it was about after they leave.
4. Will likely not have a good time.
5. Will likely be dissattisfied with the purchase after.
6. Is a douche bag!
Get out while there's still time!
Speedbump

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 am

so, here's just a random thought, or thoughts, and questions:
(and, not aimed at anyone here specifically)

Who, says what BM is all about?
Who is anyone to judge, how another enjoys their time there?
Why, is it a problem, if someone can afford servants, to hire them?
Why, do some judge others, because they don't "burn" like they "should"?
Where, in the "rules" is it written how anyone should "burn", or how much money they should spend?
Where, is it written that there are limits, or procedures, to conduct one's "own" burn? (short of stepping on others rights)
When, did folks become so self righteous, as to tell others how to enjoy themselves?
When, did the opinion of "Burnier than thou" folks, become sacrosanct?

Sure, what some do, and how they enjoy themselves, may well bother others.
But, if the event is truly about "radical inclusion" and freedom of expression,
WTF gave anyone the right to dis on someone?
Yeah, we all do it at times, and look down on others who don't "do it right"......but, jeeze.........as long as they're not physically bothering you.........how about a little, STFU, DTFK-A.

How does anyone know who "gets it"?
perhaps, being that judgmental, the "judge" may well be "judged"?

Things change.
People change.

yup, sometimes we don't like the change, sometime, we are the change.

How about, meeting these folks you look down on?
How about finding out, that they may be totally cool, giving, and kind?
Asshats are not defined by their bank accounts.

dang......I'm rambling.......

*rant/ramble switch off*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 am

Speedbump wrote:Anyone that would buy this package
1. Does not understand what BM is.
2. Does not need to be there.
3. Will not understand what it was about after they leave.
4. Will likely not have a good time.
5. Will likely be dissattisfied with the purchase after.
6. Is a douche bag!

So your saying I'm the best burner by being the positive of all the above..

I go to Bm on a shoestring, live in a 20yr old van for a week, shower in the open dust, cook outside And rough it cuz I love it..

All this makes me better than the people that pay more for there equipment.. HOW??
unjonharley

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 am

Is it just me, or does that seem like a pretty good deal? Unlike AntiM who is thankful she's not rich, I on the other hand am thankful that I'm not poor. In fact, I'm damn glad that I am a man of means and camping in my big-ass RV at TTITD and living in the lap of luxury (at least by Burning Man standards) is just the way I like it. I don't have servants, at least not out on the playa, but I am nearly never called a douche bag for enjoying the creature comforts and sharing them with my friends and guests. I know those of you who are "burnier than thou" or like Eric wears his poverty and politics and lifestyle on his sleeve; I for one do not. I mean, can't we all just get along? Oh, and filet mignon with a nice glass of 2007 Silver Oak is not a bad way to start dinner. YMMV but I don't see how.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Parasitoid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 am

In the end I don't mind people spending their money on whatever they want.

I just hope the money ends up in a fire and not in a bank account.
Parasitoid

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 am

I'm thankful I am not rich in that I have to arrange my camp myself. Technically, I am little better than those who buy the experience, because I am absolutely financially and physically dependent on MyLarry. I guess I have to turn in my Real Burner card.

Perhaps I'm thankful I'm not famous?

I'd think being the servant would suck, unless they have enough of them to work in shifts. Now there's a job description, "Burning Man asswiper". Wonder what it pays? What will people do for a free ticket?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 pm

I am so thankful that BRC is a reasonable distance to drive from where I live.

I do not know how the overseas folks manage to do it; for most of them, having a Sherpa of some sort, even paying a Sherpa to arrange things before they arrive, might be the only way to make it happen. With perhaps 1000's of people in that situation, surely there must be plenty of Burners who have this organized.

Sure it looks like commerce, but this sort of endeavor has got to incur expenses. I'd rather see this than have people miss out on the experience of Burning Man.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby d6 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:02 pm

i thought that by default, everyone that goes to bm is automatically on some level, a d-bag. at least i know that applies to me.

and sure, i've known a few ultra-rich types that were very grounded and exceptional, but with percentages playing out, it seems that there may be a high percentage of those who could actually afford this auction that may embrace the "entitled" sentiments that drive the "average joe burner" crazy.

so maybe a 1-10 ratio of those who go to bm pampered and in 1st class-(open for very vague descriptions - some feel sleeping on anything not dirt is blasphemy), will "get it" in whatever terms apply to them? so then whats the ratio for everyone who goes to bm?
i remember h.graham bagging bm on the tonight show, took the trip in a 100k+ bus - proving the percentage that bm isnt for everyone.

i felt like a f--king king moving from sleeping outside to a tent then to a panel van, back to a regular van, then finally a 1977 14' non-ac road ranger trailer that is beautiful only to me, as are most of my non-compensated camp mates who will sometimes cook to share the best thing you'll ever eat in brc.

d6,
i dont want your bm experience, i'd rather create my own.
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby Dave_techie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:04 pm

http://tickets.shop.ebay.com/Experience ... 86.c0.m282

just to clarify, they are offering multiple "Experiences" (in a link format that is more useful for our non cellphonic friends)
Dave_techie

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:09 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:or like Eric wears his poverty and politics and lifestyle on his sleeve; I for one do not.

Hey- I wear my politics & "lifestyle" on my sleeve (if by "lifestyle" you mean me being as open about being gay as you of the "come to the back of my RV" are about being straight. Trust me, you wear a lot on your sleeve.)

The poverty- I certainly don't enjoy it. I'd love to be comfortably middle class & afford my own RV to the event, I'm just not there yet, like most of the country at this point (oops, there's those pesky politics).

I was pointing out that the rich live in a way that's beyond my thinking- the idea of being too busy to get your car; or even having enough phone numbers that you need a phone book, let alone one at every house; etc etc is beyond my scope of thinking.

Eric wrote:Just like you don't want anyone telling you how to Burn, don't assume that everyone wants to tell someone else how to do theirs.

I guess that wasn't clear enough in saying I don't care how they spend their money?

For the rich, the trip that's being auctioned is basically roughing it compared to their normal life.

(as for the servants- it appears there are 6 total, only 2 available at a time from 8am-2am. So they get paid, probably a lot, and get time to enjoy some of it as well. Hmmm, I wonder if they need a concierge....)

edit: I need to point out that using the heavily coded anti-gay phrase "lifestyle" has me pissed to no end. Using that is like an old white man calling an African-American "boy".

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy