The story behind your screen name?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby moonstonerick » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:40 pm

They are some pretty cool stories.
waiting to get devirginized
moonstonerick

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 pm

[quote="lucky.bastard"]i screwed my right shoulder up snowboarding and skateboarding,,, had it all wired up..., then i got in a car wreck and destroyed my right leg., had a few titanium bars installed and a few skin graphs..... went to the georgia burn and thought it would be ironic to call myself "Lefty" but on burn night when i was feeling it and met a group of cuties they thought i said "lucky" which at the time seemed more fitting.., so i rolled with it.

as far as the bastard goes:

bastard (ˈbÉ‘Ë
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Be yourself.. Everyone else is taken..........
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
unjonharley

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:21 pm

FNA.

Mine's from an old job I had for a dozen and a half years - running emergency response crews out of the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge. When I first started here on ePlaya, I had just come in off a jumper call, and was de-stressing in front of my computer screen... and thinking of burning man... so when I got here, and signed up and it asked me for a name, well, I threw it in not realizing I couldn't change it later. So I've been that ever since. >>shrug<<

Funny thing is, most of my burner buds shortened it to BB or Sue, yet the ONLY folk who call me either of those are burners. ;)
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:25 pm

I was a wise ass kid, claiming to already know every teaching my uncle was trying to impart to me, so he called me this name,,,oh, except it was "Mr." and the "IKnow" was in reference to stereotype of a Chinese name.
DoctorIknow

Postby daratheresa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

mine is my name, first and middle. i use it for just about everything online. in real life people just call me by my first name.

i know, not very creative. i don't like splitting off in to too many alter egos, it gets confusing. ;) i'll just stick with my boring old name. :P
"So baptize me in the stars
And wrap me in nighttime"
~s.w.
daratheresa

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 pm

daratheresa wrote:i know, not very creative. i don't like splitting off in to too many alter egos, it gets confusing. ;) i'll just stick with my boring old name. :P

oh come on- be as wacky as the rest of us with your name!

<---- I mean, look how clever mine is!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby lucky.bastard » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Shutterslut?
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby delle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Nice hearing where these all come from. Nice bits of insight.

I've been Monty forever. I really didn't want to come in here as Monty, so I tacked a Delle in front of it.... but at the last minute I dropped the Monty altogether.

That's DELLE rather than DEL so's someone might take me for a girl for a change. I've known ppl online for years who still think I'm a guy.

Not being one to really give myself much of a chance in that respect, I've also been known as Phred.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:32 pm

It's my club photographer moniker & I've been using it for 15 years (ish), so people know it; however it's usually only used in a club or when I'm not around so people know which "Eric" is being talked about.

It's easier than saying "Eric with the big beard & mustache, no, no- the ginger in the flashy suit Eric. With the Jew curls."

I prefer Eric

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:35 pm

delle wrote:I've also been known as Phred.

My absolute favorite Doonesbury character as a kid.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby delle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Eric wrote: My absolute favorite Doonesbury character as a kid.

Now there's a B.D*. I'd love to pick up again from the beginning

*Intended Pun... B.D. being french for Comix (bande dessinée)
delle

Postby jella » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:03 am

Janele + ella = Janella -an= Jella :shock:

shhhhhh don't tell anyone 8)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 am

delle wrote:

Click the cartoon to start reading all 14,000+ of them! I have.

(I'm nuts)

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby The CO » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:14 am

I suffered an issue and was locked out of my old eplaya account. So, I started this new one. As I am the Commanding Officer of my theme camp, I went with that.

I was always partial to Uncle Duke & Zonker Harris.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Is anyone else wondering if Captain Smashy and Major Krash were in the same room would some sort of black hole be born?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby delle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:55 am

Eric wrote:
delle wrote:

Click the cartoon to start reading all 14,000+ of them! I have.

(I'm nuts)

Wow! Eric! Thank you!! 14,000+ times Thank You! That's a whole lotta luv in one little click.
delle

Postby 1durphul » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:56 am

The fires burned bright, the thin licks of flame glowed in a beautiful geodesic sphere pattern at the feet of a man. A Person watched from within the crowd. This Person had experienced more joy in the previous week than he had in the Twenty Seven years of life prior to that week. This Person was feeling enhanced. Joyful. In a state of ecstasy. This was the most beautiful moment to ever happen in the Person’s life. Twenty Seven years of life had led up to this moment of incredible happiness.

It was at this moment that the Person noticed how dry the playa had made his hands. Pulling out some moisturizer, he applied it to his hands, and then looked around at all the other dry hands around him. Surely these people need moisturizer as much as the Person did. So the Person offered it to every person within earshot. Dressed in a pink furry poodle outfit the Person dispensed the hydrating white cream to all who would take it. It was then that the Person became a Moist Pup.

The Moist Pup was so excited. He felt he could change the world. Upon returning to his home he smiled and greeted a man passing on the street, and there was nothing. No connection, no hello, no happiness. The Moist Pup was not deterred though, on the subway later that day he smiled at more people. Their eyes quickly averted to the ads on the ceiling, or to the devices in their pockets.

Oh how the Moist Pup was crushed! The fire of life was burning so bright and he was unable to share it. The world marched on with people incapable of feeling what the Moist Pup felt. The Moist Pup had to find others like him. He had to. The Moist Pup’s heart could not take being at arms length from the entire world.

After much wandering the Moist Pup found a tribe of people who had also felt their lives burning. They too had touched the perfect moment when it came to them. The Moist Pup joined them. Some people were nice. Some people in this new tribe did not have a burning desire to see the fires again. Some thought the fire should be extinguished. The Moist Pup tried very hard to play nice, but did not always succeed.

The fire in the Moist Pup flickered out over the next few years. Sometimes from things his other tribal friends said. Sometimes from seeing too much (like the learn’d Astronomer.) With no fire left the Moist Pup became like many of his fellow tribes men, incapable of feeling the fire that once burned inside him. He remembered the fire though, the way it touched him, made him feel alive.

One day the Moist Pup decided it was time to be Very Serious, and he said and did some things which made some people very angry. And so the people who were angry made sure the Moist Pup knew he was no longer wanted. The Moist Pup went away so that the people could figure things out on their own, and they did. The people decided there were Others that would do a better job at being Very Serious. The Moist Pup thought it was safe to return, and he did. The tribes people accepted him, and he thought it would be funny to give them the same hard time they had given him. The Moist Pup had changed much since his fire had been extinguished. He’d become jaded, and filled with the darkest of powers: snark. The Moist Pup was acting a bit like a fucko.

The Others were new. They were not ready to be prodded. So they used their powers to banish the Moist Pup. (Deservedly so!)

The Moist Pup saw that he had angered so many people and knew that the Moist Pup was no longer the person he wanted to be. And like that the Person stepped out from the Moist Pups skin, and watched as that angry, unhappy, pensive, and jaded skin shriveled up and turned to dust. In the cool and quiet breeze that surrounded the Person the dust floated away, never to be seen again.

The Person knew he had to be more careful this time. He had to find a new skin that would allow the fire to always burn. It had to be a skin that in itself was wonderful enough to remind the Person of who wanted to be in the moments when he was not feeling the flame inside.

The person had an idea. He liked math. Numbers and logic brought the Person satisfaction and joy. The Person would flow through logical and mathematical problems, his entire soul and being becoming intertwined in the information pathways he created. So the Person asked himself, “what number is the best number of all?â€
1durphul

Postby delle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:56 am

1durphul, your story just twisted my heart in about 7 different directions.

May the spark be with you - growing ever stronger as you share it with others - on your road back.

((hug))
delle

Postby C187 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:41 am

I've had this old thing since the 90s. People have come up with all sorts of clever stories as to why it is what it is. But because of my use of this username on a BBS for a goth club people started to call me C, and that's been my normal daily name for a decade. I would use my given playa name on here, but people have a hard time pronouncing it on the playa.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby manydaze84 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 pm

many days manydaze spent dazing gazing at our skies
without edges of places or faces
without times or signs or lines
alone and together in a haze of minds
freedom from the ground is in the skies.
manydaze84

Postby magic8ball » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:32 am

is nickname from friends for gifts I have.
Also from American for not to fitting in with others.
ALL KNOWING, ALL SEEING
Cousin of Horace
magic8ball

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Mine comes from Goth fantasy fiction, stories of the Wraeththu. Its my legal first name.
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Tiahaar wrote:Mine comes from Goth fantasy fiction, stories of the Wraeththu. Its my legal first name.

Oh wow, it's been a long time since I read Wraeththu but I read those books more than once, and the Goth connection never occurred to me. Hmmm, well, that is very interesting.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:23 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
Tiahaar wrote:Mine comes from Goth fantasy fiction, stories of the Wraeththu. Its my legal first name.

Oh wow, it's been a long time since I read Wraeththu but I read those books more than once, and the Goth connection never occurred to me. Hmmm, well, that is very interesting.

I don't think I read fifty pages of that. I found it a dreary combination of androgyny and pretension.
I know, a horrible thing for me to say. Yet it amazes me when people speak well of it, as I thought it pretty nothing.
Of course, variety, spice of life, all that.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:29 pm

When I was in Vietnam I flew helicopters. I was in the 3rd Platoon, 334th Armed Helicopter Company. The 3rd Platoon was nicknamed the "Dragons."

The nickname Dragons was retired when the unit was eventually disbanded after the war. When computer user names became a necessity, I brought it back to life. When I made my first trip to Burning Man in 2005 it became Dragon Pilot...one of few who is honored to fly dragons...

...then they made that stupid cartoon movie (which I actually thot was pretty cute)
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby unjonharley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 pm

dragonpilot wrote:When I was in Vietnam I flew helicopters. I was in the 3rd Platoon, 334th Armed Helicopter Company. The 3rd Platoon was nicknamed the "Dragons."

The nickname Dragons was retired when the unit was eventually disbanded after the war. When computer user names became a necessity, I brought it back to life. When I made my first trip to Burning Man in 2005 it became Dragon Pilot...one of few who is honored to fly dragons...

...then they made that stupid cartoon movie (which I actually thot was pretty cute)

Sure glad I didn't keep my call sign.. Jet Black Peter
unjonharley

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I don't think I read fifty pages of that. I found it a dreary combination of androgyny and pretension.

...the good stuff doesn't start till @ page 100...to weed out the nonbelievers...its a double trilogy + 6-7 side books now. :wink:
there's a pretty big group of us in SL now too. 8)
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby jella » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Bump ..cause, well I think it's a cool thread !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

okay I'll bite

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:48 pm

I used to "platoon mother" some of our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I became friends with a wonderful Soldier who kept in touch regularly by email, and, he used to start his messages to me with

My Dear Friend

Nobody had ever called me that before and I really loved it. He came home, went back, came home again, went back again, and we stayed friends.

Then, his truck got hit that one time too many, and that was it.

And, I really miss him, and miss that wonderful greeting.

So, the next time I joined a forum, that's the name I picked, just so I could see it on a screen again.

If I had known I'd be so busy on this forum I might have chosen something else, but, I still like to see it.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion