need help deciding what to eat

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby dustyroller » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:19 pm

that domino's dosent deliver to my town there is a tiny pizza place in town but they dont open until 4 pm for some stupid reason but thanks for the suggestion
dustyroller

nuts,berries, a lot of

Postby nocal1260 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:31 pm

H2O....beer, cashews, canned oysters with crackers, and sardines, pickled stuff.....raman soup.....granola, and of course bottles of Coors....
nocal1260

Postby Turnip » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Joe.

I had an idea recently,
that being chili cheese burritos and bean and cheese burritos, made with squeeze cheese, therefore nothing would have to be kept cool and not spoil. Dipped in some spicy cold salsa would be nice...

Canned chicken and pickles (lots) will be making a return. And I'm kicking myself for not bringing honey last time, as that would have complimented the peanut butter really well...

We'll be bringing more bagels this years instead of regular bread, because we all know how disgusting that loaf looked after a 3 day ride and a couple days on the playa. Bagels and any other bread without a lot of air in them.

One bigger meal I have planed is some simple canned beef stew with fried cornbread one night. We'll bring extra and share with neighbors.

Mike and I were also planning on bringing a deep fryer this year. I'd like to try out the deep fried masala/curry mixed with pancake batter we had at Wall's camp. Also from there it would be nothing to bring a bag of potatoes and make a good amount of french fries that can be shared with neighbors. Seasoning powder would work out really well with that as opposed to dipping sauces.
Going even further on that, we could have chili cheese fries with some jalapenos.

As long as I'm not eating cold ravioli out of the can this year I'll be happy.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Tortillas.

And your ravioli will be warm if you put it on the roof of your car in the morning and eat it before dark.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Turnip » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:06 pm

If we do that and no staving hippies come by and nab it. :D
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:19 pm

I thought that was what dashboards were for.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Turnip wrote:I had an idea recently,
that being chili cheese burritos and bean and cheese burritos, made with squeeze cheese, therefore nothing would have to be kept cool and not spoil. Dipped in some spicy cold salsa would be nice...

I made a cheese whiz burrito one night as I came back to camp and was starving... I can't say I'd recommend it but it was better than no burrito. :)
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby teardropper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Yeah, funny. I mean what I eat down there. I bring cheese in a can, the kind under pressure, and love it. Don't eat it here.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Re: need help deciding what to eat

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 am

¡Niers! wrote:The nice guy in me wants to say bring twice as much as you think you should bring. Lots of bratwurst!

lol i go the other way. I say bring half as much food and twice as much water. I didnt eat for shit out there last time except for bagels, canned raviolis and my tasty bites indian packets. I had so much leftover food it wasnt even funny. But.. bring every bit of 2 gallons per person per day, and then grab an extra few gallons on top of that just for shits and giggles.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby 1durphul » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:57 am

dustyroller wrote:what are some good cheap meals that i could make with a tiny grill and a single cooler

Tasty Bites are an easy meal. 1 pounch is usually enough for one person. Peanut Butter & Jelly and a loaf of bread = many meals for cheap.

You fan bring an egg plant, and a couple eggs, and some itallian bread crumbs. Open the eggs, scramble them with a fork, dip slices of egg plant in it, coat with italian crumbs. Pan fry. Viola, yumminess like you wouldn't believe.
1durphul

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:51 am

junglesmacks wrote:
¡Niers! wrote:The nice guy in me wants to say bring twice as much as you think you should bring. Lots of bratwurst!

lol i go the other way. I say bring half as much food and twice as much water. I didnt eat for shit out there last time except for bagels, canned raviolis and my tasty bites indian packets. I had so much leftover food it wasnt even funny. But.. bring every bit of 2 gallons per person per day, and then grab an extra few gallons on top of that just for shits and giggles.

I still have leftover playa food, it's all canned, so no rush to eat it. :) I drove there though, so not a big deal to just bring the stuff home that I didn't eat. It's nice to have options too in case you don't feel like tasty bites every day. Oh yeah, I hardly used any water too, haha.
mudpuppy000

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:11 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:

I still have leftover playa food, it's all canned, so no rush to eat it. :) I drove there though, so not a big deal to just bring the stuff home that I didn't eat. It's nice to have options too in case you don't feel like tasty bites every day. Oh yeah, I hardly used any water too, haha.

I thought I was being conservative but still had a lot of extra, I dropped off anything not opened at the DPW donation station on the way out rather than haul it clear back across the country. I found it surprising that I didn't see anyone before or after me take that little detour. The DPW guys were grateful.

I don't know if it will be the same but 2010 it was on the left shortly before the blacktop. I left Monday morning, if I wasn't on the left there would have been no way to maneveur across the lanes. However the cars weren't going anywhere soon so a leisurely stroll would've done the trick without missing the next, so called, "pulse" (more like DOA but that's another topic).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Sic Pup wrote:I dropped off anything not opened at the DPW donation station on the way out rather than haul it clear back across the country.

That's what I do. I bring way more than I need....I think mostly because when I shop, I think...oh this would be nice to have and so would this.

But when it comes down to it....it's an extra $30 of food and stuff, perhaps more. But DPW works hard and when I'm leaving, this extra food and stuff helps them get through the next month. They are volunteers, afterall.
Doesn't even phase me.
¡Niers!

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:45 pm

¡Niers! wrote:
Sic Pup wrote:I dropped off anything not opened at the DPW donation station on the way out rather than haul it clear back across the country.

That's what I do. I bring way more than I need....I think mostly because when I shop, I think...oh this would be nice to have and so would this.

But when it comes down to it....it's an extra $30 of food and stuff, perhaps more. But DPW works hard and when I'm leaving, this extra food and stuff helps them get through the next month. They are volunteers, afterall.
Doesn't even phase me.

I didn't realize they took food, I just gave them all my unopened liquor, lol. The guy looked pretty happy with that.
mudpuppy000

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:10 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:all my unopened liquor

What is this thing you speak of?
Sic Pup

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:19 pm

DPW will take all your leftovers, liquor, food, and...etc.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 pm

But it has to be unopened. For reasons I hope are obvious. But just in case, contamination. I don't think that anyone reading that would do that, but in 50,000 you're bound to have a few careless people or hostile assholes.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:46 am

dustyroller wrote:what are some good cheap meals that i could make with a tiny grill and a single cooler

I plan to use MREs, or "meal ready to eat." They come in different forms, including vegetarian, and are pretty easy to use. They have all sorts of shit in there, including cokkies, candy, fruit or jam, instant coffee and "drink mix."

And the paclaging is compact and recycleable.

I imagine other people have more elegant solutions, but I can't imagine being in the mood to cook anything.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:51 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
Turnip wrote:I had an idea recently,

I made a cheese whiz burrito one night as I came back to camp and was starving... I can't say I'd recommend it but it was better than no burrito. :)

It's about lunch time here, but the thought of a squeeze cheese burrito is ... horrible. I'm no stranger to processed food, but that just sounds gnarly. I'm sure after midnight when the rules change it may be fucking de-motherfucking-lish.

Plus, I haven't heard the term "squeeze cheese" in 20 years. I'm in tears laughing.

Fuck goign to Burning Man, I'm just going to keep reading the ePlaya and pretend I know what's going on. Maybe I can roll around in the clay and limestone-rich Texas dirt and say it's legit Playa dust.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:52 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:

I plan to use MREs, or "meal ready to eat." They come in different forms, including vegetarian, and are pretty easy to use. They have all sorts of shit in there, including cokkies, candy, fruit or jam, instant coffee and "drink mix."

I imagine other people have more elegant solutions, but I can't imagine being in the mood to cook anything.

To quote my friend/campmate, who is in the Air Force and did that, "...I would not want to have to live off this in a combat situation."

They're made to hold a lot of calories and not much else - a shit ton of packaging/trash, too.
C.f.M.

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:

A whole weeks worth of MRE's is asking for the WORST constipation you've ever had. We have addressed this in several threads, but here's my honest opinion. CANNED FOOD IS YOUR FRIEND!
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:49 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:

To quote my friend/campmate, who is in the Air Force and did that, "...I would not want to have to live off this in a combat situation."

They're made to hold a lot of calories and not much else - a shit ton of packaging/trash, too.

A lot of Air Force people are pussies and whiners – not all of them, but many. I know a few who can’t even look out the window if it’s raining or eat anywhere that’s not a corporate chain. I'm in the AF and I stand out for being ... um ... not terribly compatible with the military lifestyle or something. I NEVER call anyone sir or ma'am and I walk around like I own the place. I want to get out but they won't let me, they gave me a stripe and said to try again soon.

I'm a reservist so I'm away from it most of the time, sort of. I work as a "reporter" at an AF base newspaper as a civilian, which is even more bullshit and whining and petty silliness than the reservist stuff. (Seriously, someone broke into a CRYING temper tantrum because I had the word "bullshit" in notes on my desk and my shirt wasn't tucked in. CRYING!)

MREs are fine to eat, I've lived on them for a week and everything was A-OK. They can be broken up into the components so maybe one can carry a HUA Bar (generic Powerbar, sort of) or thing of flatbread or M&Ms instead of the "entree." The Jambalaya is insane but the veggie omelet is so bad it’s considered a cruel joke. I had three in a row once. I saw an option somewhere on the Interwebs for veggie MREs, which seems like a pretty good idea.

They have a lot of trash, but it can be compacted really small and recycled, which I plan to do with mine.

The meal parts can be mixed and matched also. I know some Marines who are goddamn gourmet chefs with MREs, but who burn water in a microwave otherwise.

It’s only a rumor MREs have like 40,000 calories. They have no more than a sane person eats at a normal meal, although such a meter probably doesn't apply to anyone here, me included. They also don't give a log jam, no more than dehydration does.

Besides, I plan to leave a motel shower covered in mud on my way back from the playa, hopefully from removing the dust layers from myself, but maybe from the anal explosion from that first cup of coffee in a week.
Canned stuff is pretty good, but then you have those cans to carry back. The meat on the dashboard idea seems pretty good and hilarious, especially if it's seasoned. I'm trying to keep to a minimum the amount of stuff I have to squeeze into the car. If I can avoid a stove/cooker and pots, then I'm all for it.

If I could, I would have a real camp and actually have real food, but I can't imagine wanting to prepare or really eat anything. I know in the middle of the summer here, the last thing I want to do is eat anything, but water and Gatorade are never far away and never enough.

[edited for spelling and retardedness]
Super Evil Brian

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:02 pm

If you're doing journalism in the military - esp. the AF - then...yeah.

Last I recall (having also used them as a primary form of sustenance for a trip) they're supposed to be around 2000 calories.

Doesn't really matter.

"If I could, I would have a real camp and actually have real food."

Why cain't you? It's really not that hard to have "real food" out there (as someone who has driven and flown and camped in fake and real camps). There's a lot of super helpful food threads on Eplaya - roll around in some of that mud, first.
C.f.M.

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:09 pm

C.f.M. wrote:If you're doing journalism in the military - esp. the AF - then...yeah.

Last I recall (having also used them as a primary form of sustenance for a trip) they're supposed to be around 2000 calories.

Doesn't really matter.

"If I could, I would have a real camp and actually have real food."

Why cain't you? It's really not that hard to have "real food" out there (as someone who has driven and flown and camped in fake and real camps). There's a lot of super helpful food threads on Eplaya - roll around in some of that mud, first.

"Roll around in some of that mud"? That's awesome.

Maybe a mix, a few MREs if I'm lazy and some real food to keep the fire exit working.

I miss working for real newspapers and doing actual professional work. Oddly enough, the paper in Sparks is hiring a photographer, my professional background.

This board is awesome, the posts are funny as shit but I've learned a lot about what I'm getting myself into, although it's probably all wrong. :)
Super Evil Brian

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Eplaya IS awesome. You're welcome.

Loads of camps have kitchens and food amentities. Unless you're just a stone-cold loner (ELORRUM!), poke around theme camps and join one.

I hear the crazy kids at Stag Camp know how to have a good time.

I have a personal chef I fly in from Texas, so I don't have to worry about food anymore. :twisted:

Worse than the food and having to eat loads of them, all the packaging trash was bothersome to my friend. If you go the MRE route, be sure to discard as much packaging as possible (the cardboard boxes, the plastic wrap on the utenstils, etc.) before you head to BRC.

And google some "Ranger recipes" for fun. (MRE recipes)
C.f.M.

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:maybe from the anal explosion from that first cup of coffee in a week.

FWIW, there are quite a few spots you can get a cup of joe if that's what floats your boat

....but please let me know which JOTS you've used afterwards.
Sic Pup

Postby Elorrum » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:22 pm

C.f.M. wrote:. Unless you're just a stone-cold loner (ELORRUM!)

I think I prefer "solo hard-ass". ;) Being self contained is not the same as being unsocial. I have had the same neighbors the last three years, and look forward to seeing them again this year. I consider them camp mates. Any one worried about coming on their own can easily make friends.
Elorrum

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Elorrum wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:. Unless you're just a stone-cold loner (ELORRUM!)

I think I prefer "solo hard-ass". ;) Being self contained is not the same as being unsocial. I have had the same neighbors the last three years, and look forward to seeing them again this year. I consider them camp mates. Any one worried about coming on their own can easily make friends.

I love you, you're my soul mate, now I'm going back to MY camp! :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:52 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I love you, you're my soul mate, now I'm going back to MY camp! :wink:

Bwahahahaha, exactly. 8)

Super Evil Brian wrote:... MREs... instant coffee and "drink mix"...

SEB I want to personally invite you to come have a cuppa coffee and a bacon sandwich with me, because, damn... :shock:

I'm bringing fruit, too, but it'll be baked inside some cookies. Lotsa cookies, in fact.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:08 am

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH so this is the FIFTH time I’m trying to reply, and I didn’t copy and paste the fourth one elsewhere, like I said I’d do right in the post. ARGH.

E – you are a solo BAD-ass. And that should be a bumper sticker on your killer trike. Because nothing says “I’m a bad-assâ€
C.f.M.

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink