Glass Blowing Set up @ The Burn.... anyone interested?

Glass Blowing Set up @ The Burn.... anyone interested?

Postby dropsofsand » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:54 am

Hello there, im thinking of getting together a few glassblowers that are interested in being part of a hot shop to be set up at this years burning man. It would be easy to facilitate... everything could run off of propane tanks that are easily and safely stored. It would take some investment in buying the fuel but i have access to much of the equipment and tools needed for the set-up. The only task would be creating/finding an annealer that runs off of propane. If anyone is interested atall or has a solution to any of these questions please respond. Free free to e-mail me as well.... dropsofsand@hotmail.com
namaste
dropsofsand

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 pm

I iwshi you the best with it, and hope to be able to watch.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Yup, I'm a good watcher too!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:29 pm

In ('03?) there was a glass blower set up on the playa just off the Esplanade around 5:00. I think they only ran it at night.

I just remember staring at the pretty glittery colored pieces while being "otherly centered".

Other than that I'm no help at all.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby graidawg » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:15 am

hi i'm a glazier in the uk and would love to see glass blowing at the playa! always wanted to learn a bit about that
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby sputnik » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 am

Someone was setup in 05, but the majority of what was made seemed to be dildos.

I'd love to come by and spend an evening with you, though I haven't blown for about 10 years.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 am

At very worst, you could always use a basin of vermiculite to anneal/cool.. possibly even use a large aluminum turkey pan that is gently warmed by propane burners/single burner camp stoves. I would try and keep it as simple as possible and not drag out the whole kiln and all. If you're intent on going full on, just bring a small 110v crucible style kiln and run it off a generator.

The other issue other than the propane would of course be the oxygen which gets used at like a 4:1 ratio over the propane. Do you have that many cylinders to blow through? I'd say that in order for "a few glassblowers" to work, you would need at least one per artist.

This is assuming that by "glassblowers" you really meant "lampworkers"..

On another note.. while I totally commend you for having the idea, it sounds to me like the whole production when all said and done may be more of a PITA than you think. I know when I'm at my burn, I'm way to into getting out and doing things I don't normally do rather than bring my defaultia world with me. Hell, I lugged my 40 lb djembe across the country this last time with the full intent of drumming while I was there and ended up not even taking it out of the case once.

As with everythying, just make sure to evaluate all sides of things well in order to avoid a facepalm situation.

/end$0.02
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Sasquatch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:17 am

I expect to see this at the playa this year.
Were all here cuz were not all there.

BM 2010 Metropolis
BM 2011 Rites Of Passage
Sasquatch

Postby Playa Mario » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:39 pm

You should totally set up a glass blowing workshop. I really would enjoy making glass but I have no knowledge on how.
Playa Mario

Postby sputnik » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 pm

junglesmacks wrote:This is assuming that by "glassblowers" you really meant "lampworkers"..

Heh, I assumed the opposite, especially since he talked about needing an annealer, which I'm pretty sure lampworkers don't need.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Cheyenne » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Lampworkers will still use an annealer to strengthen any beads... Historical beads don't generally tend to have the extra process, but it make a hell of a difference to the strength. I've been toying with the idea of having my beadmaker do a proper roman setup with hand blown bellows... but the modern customer wants something that has the extra durability I suppose. It actually seems to make the surface more uniform too

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:29 pm

I've done beads, I've done fusing, and I've done a little bit with a glory hole. They all need to be annealed. Glass is a very poor conductor of heat and it expands and contracts as it warms and cools. If it doesn't cool evenly it will break. If you don't believe me, take a glass you don't care for, fill it with cold water and put it in a basin of hot water. Kids today who grew up with dishwashers have missed this great science experiment.
You can get away with not annealing beads because they are small, but they do benefit from a slow cooler. The longest annealment I've heard of is the telescope mirror they were making that was made out of boro-silicate and that they annealed for three months. They had to take it real slow, because anythign that large with cracks that travel like the do in glass, well, it's not a pretty picture.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I've done beads, I've done fusing, and I've done a little bit with a glory hole.

erm.

uh.

huh.

Nope, I got nothing.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Re: Glass Blowing Set up @ The Burn.... anyone interested?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:49 pm

dropsofsand wrote:Hello there, im thinking of getting together a few glassblowers that are interested in being part of a hot shop to be set up at this years burning man. It would be easy to facilitate... everything could run off of propane tanks that are easily and safely stored. It would take some investment in buying the fuel but i have access to much of the equipment and tools needed for the set-up. The only task would be creating/finding an annealer that runs off of propane. If anyone is interested atall or has a solution to any of these questions please respond. Free free to e-mail me as well.... dropsofsand@hotmail.com
namaste

Am I the only one who is wondering how much junk mail you're going to get by posting your email addy? Eplaya has PM's you know. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I've done beads, I've done fusing, and I've done a little bit with a glory hole.

erm.

uh.

huh.

Nope, I got nothing.

Maybe I should have gone with "hot box". Better genderwise, but not quite as dirty. And "furnace" is too tame.
And when you get down to it, the name had to come from somewhere...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby dropsofsand » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:11 pm

glad to see some activity on here,,,, the setup i was thinking of doing would be a soft-glass furnace and glory hole set up. The idea of annealing might get thrown out the window and replaced with recycling everything that is made...leaving a feeling of art in the moment....perhaps? ...good point that it might just be alot of lugging equipment around...but i feel it might be fulfilling....to give something that is an art that can be observed and happens to light up in the night seems a strong reason to devote some energy. anyway keep the eye-deas flowing everyone.
dropsofsand

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:17 pm

dropsofsand wrote:The idea of annealing might get thrown out the window and replaced with recycling everything that is made...leaving a feeling of art in the moment....perhaps?

People will want to keep stuff. Even if it's just a blob. You might think of a way to create something really easy in advance that you can give as gifts.

Something that could be made in advance would solve the annealing issue. The other option is to make something on the playa that's not designed to be worn- a coin or something that people can put in their memory box or shrine.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:34 am

sputnik wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:This is assuming that by "glassblowers" you really meant "lampworkers"..

Heh, I assumed the opposite, especially since he talked about needing an annealer, which I'm pretty sure lampworkers don't need.

Noooo my fine friend.. lampworking yes (sort of) requires annealing due to thermal expansion, and especially as the piece gets more complex. A disclaimer: I was/am a pipe/bong/bubbler/useful art maker since 95, so my experience has been with larger and more complex works of "art". For smaller things such as spoon pipes, beads, whatevs.. as long as you are evenly heating things up and really melting the shit out of them, you can get away with not using a kiln. For anything bigger, it will crack almost every time due to so much surface area of glass cooling at different rates.

But.. you can use vermiculite in a pinch since it evenly heats up and keeps a nice blanket of warmth around the piece. What you don't want is anything cooling down too fast or unevenly..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Parasitoid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 am

I like it when they have eye shades around their areas so participants can pick them up and view the work more closely. definitly provide the goggles.
Parasitoid

Postby clerkkent » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:31 pm

There was a fellow blowing glass around the 9:15 spoke and D/E/F streets in 2010. We got a cool medallion swag item.
7 burns and counting. Each one gets better.
clerkkent

Re: Glass Blowing Set up @ The Burn.... anyone interested?

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:58 am

dropsofsand wrote:Hello there, im thinking of getting together a few glassblowers that are interested in being part of a hot shop to be set up at this years burning man. It would be easy to facilitate... everything could run off of propane tanks that are easily and safely stored. It would take some investment in buying the fuel but i have access to much of the equipment and tools needed for the set-up. The only task would be creating/finding an annealer that runs off of propane. If anyone is interested atall or has a solution to any of these questions please respond. Free free to e-mail me as well.... dropsofsand@hotmail.com
namaste

Can you melt a little bit of playa dust into glass? I don't mean digging holes, but maybe shaking off what accululates on everything and mixing with molten glass.

I knew a glassblower or whatever he called himself in Connecticut who made all sorts of crazy stuff. He had large wooden bins full of color-sorted broken glass.

Chemically, will playa dust work? That may be sort of fun to have a tangible bit of Burnign Man, after one cleans the dust from one's ass crack and ears.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

recycle instead of anneal

Postby jonwells » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:18 pm

i liked the idea somebody put up about putting the glass back into the furnace. its a good way to be in the moment and recycle at the same time.

i've never lampworked, but if your trying to make a real hot shop on the playa i'm not sure how you would get it to work. it seems too ambitious to be true.

sorry if that statement is an anti-burner thing to say. but molten glass and the cleanup involved might cause more damage to the playa then not.

but damn, wouldn't it be great to partner up with a stranger and have team contests, biggest wine glass with the littlest foot or something. fun stuff.
jonwells

Postby jkisha » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Goathead does something like that with the playa dust.

viewtopic.php?t=32337&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby kimfraczek » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Hey! I'm Kim! I'm planning on bringing out just a hot head to flamework with some boro and put playa dust inside hollow pendants to give out as gifts.

I'll be at Gnome Camp/Sparky with some old schoolers, but it's my first year, so don't want to commit to a huge set up, and I've been advised not to, which is probably a good plan...

I'd be more than happy to come help out if our stars align though. I have experience building furnaces, but not annealers... I'm going to poke around in my glass circles and try and find a go at some answers for you. I'm definitely a do-er though, so hopefully we can work this out. Blowing glass in the desert sounds heavenly.

xo
Kim
kimfraczek

Return to 2011 Art & Performance