What does BRC LLC do for the event?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: What does BRC LLC do for the event?

Postby 1durphul » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:09 pm

jkisha wrote:
Why don't you just sue them for damages caused by your five hour wait, just lake every other red blooded American would. See how far that gets you.

JK

I guess I could try that... *sarcasm*
1durphul

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:14 pm

ok then...we've reached a decision.

phul, go get on the horn and call your lawyer and stop wasting your time here with a bunch of kool-aid drinkers.

ok?

or is it necessary to get in the last word?

can you leave this thread? Or will it just kill you not to.

prove me wrong phul...prove that you Dont have to have the LAST WORD...

or prove me right.

it' sup to you.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby 1durphul » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:ok then...we've reached a decision.

phul, go get on the horn and call your lawyer and stop wasting your time here with a bunch of kool-aid drinkers.

ok?

or is it necessary to get in the last word?

can you leave this thread? Or will it just kill you not to.

prove me wrong phul...prove that you Dont have to have the LAST WORD...

or prove me right.

it' sup to you.

Word.
1durphul

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:18 pm

SEEN.

fool.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby 1durphul » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:SEEN.

fool.

gigiggity
1durphul

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 pm

*sarcasm*

Last edited by 1durphul on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total. (10 percent)

jerkoff

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:06 pm

1durphul wrote:
Eric wrote:
Don't like it? Don't go. Seriously. It's not a corporation, you're not a shareholder, the only way you have any input in the LLC is it to either not buy a ticket so they don't get your money or volunteer and work to change it from within.

You've already said that you're too busy to volunteer (typical), so don't buy the ticket. Its pretty much your only option.

This is such a bullshit "America Love it or leave it" answer. There aren't only two options here. I don't have to be a worshiper of the LLC like most of the people in this thread. I also don't have to hate it. I don't hate the event. I enjoy the event. There are some big issues though, and they do deserve consideration.

Just so we're clear on where I am coming from: I think the BRC LLC does an excellent job of minding the terms of their BLM contract. But the BLM isn't the only one they have a contract with. They have sold tickets to an event, and that means a reasonable person should have some reasonable expectations about what they have paid for. 5 hour entry lines, in my opinion, is not reasonable. zero wait time, while it would be great, would also be an unreasonable expectation. 1 hour to get in, that is a reasonable expectation.

its a private business - they do what they want in the manner they see fit.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby 1durphul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:16 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:

jerkoff

yes please!
1durphul

Postby 1durphul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:29 am

mdmf007 wrote:
its a private business - they do what they want in the manner they see fit.

This discussion reminds me a lot of Blockbuster. At one time Blockbuster was really the only game in town when it came to national video rental chains. Sure there was Hollywood Video, and a few other smaller chains, but none had the market dominance that Blockbuster had. And as a result Blockbuster could arrange exclusives, further locking out the competition.

Blockbuster didn't treat their customers very well. They had outrageous late fees that were more than the rental. They treated the customer as though they were replaceable, and sure enough, they were replaceable.

And then Netflix comes along. Suddenly there is a real alternative to dealing with Blockbuster and their shitty customer service policy.

The thing is, if Blockbuster had been nice to their customers even when they were at the top they probably would have retained a loyal customer base. But, who would be loyal to Blockbuster after how that company treated their customers?

My point is that ticket holders that create camps, and installations are really customers of BRC LLC, and if BRC LLC wants to survive in the longterm they should be thinking about the next Burning Man type event that could be just around the corner and whether or not that'll draw away the talented people that make Burning Man the fun event it is.

Hey, I hear Chicken John does this thing on a lake now...
1durphul

Postby jerroc » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:22 am

This has been and will always be a volunter event. The wait at the gate is not the fault of BMorg its from not enough volunteers. Once you start paying people at the gate than it will become an expectation from rangers, air port, dmv, post office or any other volunter opperation to be paid. Can you imagine the finacial liabilty of employees to a company on the playa? Larry will have to raise the ticket price to levels even I can't afford if he started paying employees. Really sounds like 1derphul does not understand the concepts of this kind of business.
jerroc

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:54 am

1durphul wrote:And then Netflix comes along. Suddenly there is a real alternative to dealing with Blockbuster and [s]their shitty customer service policy.[/s] having to put down the Cheetos, hoist one's fat ass off the couch, get into the car and hit the brick and mortar.

Fix't
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby 1durphul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:51 am

Sic Pup wrote:
1durphul wrote:And then Netflix comes along. Suddenly there is a real alternative to dealing with Blockbuster and [s]their shitty customer service policy.[/s] having to put down the Cheetos, hoist one's fat ass off the couch, get into the car and hit the brick and mortar.

Fix't

You say that, but Blockbuster started their own Netflix like service and still was unable to retain their customers.
1durphul

Postby gyre » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Powderkeg was known for the most boring video selection in the universe and for producing its own censored versions.
Other video companies seem to have taken note of this.
They couldn't compete even against other stores.
They simply bought them out or gave up a healthy amount of profit.

They set up a store across the street from the biggest store in midtown here.
Since powderkeg had no beta, the other stores rentals of beta went to 50% of stock and their selection kept the vhs customers.
They finally bought them out for a huge sum.
Best thing that can happen to a good store was have powderkeg try to run them out of business.

I rarely found anything in a powderkeg I wanted to see, and when I did, they wouldn't play due to the over heavy use of macro, ie garbage on the tape.
So, refund.
Even had this happen with a copy of the Time Machine, 1961, I think.
Doubtless a big target for mass piracy.

My message to the hollywood lobby was that if I can't record over it or record from it, I won't pay for it.

They have been responsible for the lack of record capability on most new digital boxes.
Vote with your money.
gyre

Postby lambert13 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:48 pm

I am a big NY Yankees fan. Love going to see games down in the Bronx.

Sometimes the wait to get out of the parking lots takes hours. It really pisses me off. But, I realize that I have a choice in the matter. I can continue to go and deal with it. Or stop going and not have to deal with it.

They are selling a service that I can either buy, or not.

Just because I pay them for that service does not entitle me to a voice about how they do their job. I vote with my credit card. That is all I can do.

Same thing here. You can write a letter and tell them how they can improve, but ultimately it is up to them how they run their business. All you can really do is vote with your wallet.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby 1durphul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:57 pm

lambert13 wrote:I am a big NY Yankees fan. Love going to see games down in the Bronx.

Sometimes the wait to get out of the parking lots takes hours. It really pisses me off. But, I realize that I have a choice in the matter. I can continue to go and deal with it. Or stop going and not have to deal with it.

Just because I pay them for that service does not entitle me to a voice about how they do their job. I vote with my credit card. That is all I can do.

Same thing here. You can write a letter and tell them how they can improve, but ultimately it is up to them how they run their business. All you can really do is vote with your wallet.

The problem is different in terms of the Yankees game. It is similar to exodus, where you go from from many lanes to 1. Entry goes from one lane to many.

Anyway, back to Blockbuster talk, much more interesting than the topic this thread started on.

Where did "powderkeg" come from?
1durphul

Postby Rice » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:58 pm

lambert13 wrote:I am a big NY Yankees fan. Love going to see games down in the Bronx.

Although, with Burning Man, you can volunteer your time and help to improve the situation with your insight and contribution.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby gyre » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:39 pm

[quote="stretch80]Although, with Burning Man, you can volunteer your time and help to improve the situation with your insight and contribution.[/quote]
Actually some of my suggestions have been implemented.
There is a format to submit ideas for afterburn consideration.
gyre

Postby gyre » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:50 pm

1durphul wrote:Where did "powderkeg" come from?

In the Parker Lewis episode, Lewis and Son, Powderkeg tries to run Mondo Video out of business.
Phil Hartman is in that episode.
That made the name stick.
And the way they said it.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Stickygreen wrote:BM is raking in lots of cash, the anual budget that gets published is so padded, I can only imagine how many people need this event to happen for them to make money.

You know, this a wide variety of people on this board and not all of them can read the afterburns and see the padding. Perhaps you can help, take 8, 10 items from the 2009 afterburn report and tell us what they should be, what criteria you used to get the figures and maybe check that against firms that might do those sorts of services. I'm sure that a better educated population of burners would enhance the burn.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rice » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:26 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Stickygreen wrote:BM is raking in lots of cash, the anual budget that gets published is so padded, I can only imagine how many people need this event to happen for them to make money.

You know, this a wide variety of people on this board and not all of them can read the afterburns and see the padding. Perhaps you can help, take 8, 10 items from the 2009 afterburn report and tell us what they should be, what criteria you used to get the figures and maybe check that against firms that might do those sorts of services. I'm sure that a better educated population of burners would enhance the burn.

The Afterburn reports are located at: http://afterburn.burningman.com/

I would like to see those "facts" as well...

Rice.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Eric wrote:
1durphul wrote:BRC LLC originally came into existence out of a need for an organized structure that the BLM/LEO's could interface with.

But what are they actually doing for the money we pay them annually?

To answer your first question- they do the same thing they've always done. Work with the BLM on permits & getting everything in order, and all the ground work to get the city infrastructure up & take it down (like those potties that are required for BMan to happen), and to make sure that the volunteers that you disdain so freely are there to run the airport, the medic tents, the rangers, the gate, the perimeter....

If there was no LLC there would be no event. Period. The BLM would never allow 60,000 people to just show up & party out there. Juplaya is already on their radar as it gets bigger, it may need to change in the near future as well.

Don't like it? Don't go. Seriously. It's not a corporation, you're not a shareholder, the only way you have any input in the LLC is it to either not buy a ticket so they don't get your money or volunteer and work to change it from within.

You've already said that you're too busy to volunteer (typical), so don't buy the ticket. Its pretty much your only option.

IF you ever need a second wife, Eric, please give me right of first refusal.
(love you)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:34 pm

Eric wrote: but they have 50,000 voices shouting at them, not just yours, and they have their own agenda that may not mesh with yours.

And right here is, I think, a very good time to mention that you had a total melt down when members of the burningman tribe were yelling at you. You can dish it out, but you can't take it, and whatever credibility you might have gained by changing your name and posting thoughtful ideas is quickly running out.

Didn't the llc provide some protection and grief/crisis counciling for Comfort and Joy in, well, 07, wasn't it? You'd think someone who'd been through that wouldn't be so gleeful about referring to mass suicide.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote: but they have 50,000 voices shouting at them, not just yours, and they have their own agenda that may not mesh with yours.

And right here, 1derful, is, I think, a very good time to mention that you had a total melt down when members of the burningman tribe were yelling at you. You can dish it out, but you can't take it, and whatever credibility you might have gained by changing your name and posting thoughtful ideas is quickly running out. Just think about the amount of yelling that went out at bm headquarters this week, and be grateful that you weren't on that end of the ticket hell.

Didn't the llc provide some protection and grief/crisis counciling for Comfort and Joy in, well, 07, wasn't it? You'd think someone who'd been through that wouldn't be so gleeful about referring to mass suicide.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:47 pm

oh my,

that was delicious.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:04 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:IF you ever need a second wife, Eric, please give me right of first refusal. (love you)

Done.

However, if gay marriage ever gets legalized it'll be right of second refusal, 'cause The Boyfriend has dibs established.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:08 pm

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:IF you ever need a second wife, Eric, please give me right of first refusal. (love you)

Done.

However, if gay marriage ever gets legalized it'll be right of second refusal, 'cause The Boyfriend has dibs established.

Of course. I"m not about to come over and measure you so I can size the trousseau.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby 1durphul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:15 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

And right here is, I think, a very good time to mention that you had a total melt down when members of the burningman tribe were yelling at you. You can dish it out, but you can't take it, and whatever credibility you might have gained by changing your name and posting thoughtful ideas is quickly running out.

I have a different perspective of the events that lead to my decision to unseat myself as moderator than you do. I'll leave it at that.

The LLC offered the services of their (volunteer I believe) counseling team on playa. I don't know if anybody actually took them up on it. That would be a private matter between the counselor and the person(s) who took advantage of the offer. They were also dealing with a PR nightmare, compounded by the man burning early. 2007 was the year of PR doom for BM. There may have also been concerns about the potential for a lawsuit, I don't really know. So I have no idea how truly altruistic their decision making was.

I'm sure they offered Addis counseling. After all, that would have been truly altruistic.

That's not fair, expect somebody to forgive a guy who seems to be crazy, and destroyed your personal art piece. Then offering them (free volunteer, costs you nothing) services you have at your disposal is of course not something anybody could expect from the BRC LLC.
1durphul

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 pm

nuiopay bveoit hiug j
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:20 pm

?????????

btw, in this case, "volenteer" in this case doesn't mean inexperienced or untrained.

And I did base my understanding of your experience of moderation on your narrative of some.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm confused.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy