Young girl/Camp alone/RV?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Young girl/Camp alone/RV?

Postby MarieLakshmi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:04 am

I plan on going to BM next year as my celebration of my golden birthday (also my 18th :D ) but all of my friends are not BM kinda people, so I am going alone. I read a lot about stealing and safety and me being a young girl going alone I figure this would be an issue. I was thinking maybe to rent an RV in Nevada and use that for storing food, clothes, valuables, and to sleep. I did read that it cuts you off from the experience which I don't like but I am kind of weighing experience with safety. What do you all suggest?
MarieLakshmi

Postby SnowBlind » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:26 am

I sometimes feel that the stealing thing get's overblown here on eplaya. If you have something stolen from you, you're gonna bitch about it, but the other 1000 people that haven't won't write about the fact that their stuff is still there. Of course some people get careless with their stuff, so it's good to remind them here to be careful, but it is by no means a huge problem, IMHO.

Generally I think BM is more peaceful and non violent than most other events this size, or any regular town of 50,000 people, for that matter. Make sure you get to know your neighbors, and you won't be truly alone out there.
SnowBlind

Postby jerroc » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:55 am

It can be hard to find a RV to rent fot BM in Nevada. And the cost is way to high. I don't think an RV will "cut you off" from the experience. Some of us just like the survival part of tent camping. Don't bring stuff you care about. And lock everything up. you should be fine. Find a mix group of men and woman to camp next to if your worried about camping alone.
jerroc

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:31 am

I don't think they'd rent to an 18 year old.

The theft is minimal, if you lock your bike and don't leave your power tools out, you're golden. You won't have booze to worry about, you're underage. Lock your wallet in your car, and have a spare set of keys stashed. Amazing how many folks lock themselves out of their vehicles every year.

Your personal safety is more in danger from making friends under the influence rather than random guys trying to molest you in your tent. In a year, you can no doubt find folks who would let you camp nearby or with them, and they'd help keep an eye on you and your things.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:57 am

If the cost of an RV is painless, do it, but it isn't neessary.

If you aren't comfortable with the people you're camped with, find another place.
Most people will look out for each other.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:30 am

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Thecatman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 am

People that attend baseball, football games, NASCAR races etc and most other sporting events are usually more rowdy, obnoxious, rude, self centered.
As far as renting an rv, like AntiM said, its highly un-likley they'll rent to an 18 year old. According to Sierra RV in Reno, they are sold out of rv's for the event this year. The only units they have are five trailers. One 18ft for $1700 for the week and four 26ft for $2200. With a trailer you'll need capable p/u truck, 1/2 ton or larger to tow it.
There's been several discussions on that matter.
Wish you the best. :wink:
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby LLQchasm » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:41 pm

You're probably better off buying a used RV than renting one anyway. You're not going to want to stay in the RV when you get to the burn, so think cheap, but make sure the plumbing works. I did the RV thing out in the desert for a couple of years, but got tired of hauling it around. Now I just have everything in my truck with a solar panel attached and live like that permanently.
LLQchasm

Postby LLQchasm » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Another thing you might consider is renting a truck/van and getting a portable shower.
LLQchasm

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Welcome!

you might also think about joining a theme camp.......
I know Barbie Death camp is super cool, and great for newbs.
Sometimes, there are "RV" shares with folks, if you poke and ask around.
So is Terminal Villiage, not sure of their "newb" policy, though.

I'm sure some others here, with more "theme camp" experience, can chime in with more accurate info.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Young girl/Camp alone/RV?

Postby phil » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:12 pm

MarieLakshmi wrote:I read a lot about stealing and safety and me being a young girl going alone I figure this would be an issue.
>SNIP<
I am kind of weighing experience with safety. What do you all suggest?

Louise and I had our bacon stolen from our ice chest last year, and it's the first time in our 15 Burns that we've had anything stolen. Others have had thefts, but I'll assure you that there is less crime in Black Rock City that week than in any city in the US during a week. Seriously, if you feel your safety is threatened, start screaming for help, scream specifically what the problem is, and scream. Burning Man is _full_ of heroes and heroines. You'll have about a thousand people there to help in no time flat.

For your first time, you need to worry about survival, not theft and personal safety. Read all the stuff on BMan's site about surviving the Burn. However, make yourself comfortable. If you feel your personal safety is an issue, plan on how to take that into account. It is very unlikely you'll be able to rent an RV, so plan on some other way to secure your valuables - locking them out of sight in a car, for example. If you want to sleep in a vehicle, bring a van or car you can sleep in. I do suggest trying this out on a weekend camping trip first. You don't want to get there and find out you're stuck for a week in a car that promised reclining seats, but there's a hug lump right in the middle that keeps you from sleeping.

Burners are among the friendliest, most helpful people on the planet, and we'll do everything possible to make your stay as happy as you'll let it be. But do plan for your own safety and comfort as you see fit. If people tell you it's safe, but you're not comfortable in a tent, rent a tent trailer, bring your own car you can sleep in, whatever. After your first Burn you'll know more what it's all about. (On the other hand, if you do it right you'll know even _less_ what it's all about.)

Do what it takes to make yourself comfortable with what will be available to you. This includes experimental camping trips during the coming months to make sure your plans work.
phil

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks for the kind words Yggy about Barbie Death Camp, but we have a hard and fast rule: You must be 21 or older unless accompanied by someone who is, and that person is responsible for your actions. Too many visits by Pershing and Washoe County's Finest making sure nobody is under 21 in the wine bistro (which takes up the entire front of the camp) either serving or imbibing. Contact us in three years and I would be happy to show you the back of our RV.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ¡Niers! » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:44 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Contact us in three years and I would be happy to show you the back of our RV.

ROFL!!!!!!
¡Niers!

Postby JStep » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:53 pm

¡Niers! wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:Contact us in three years and I would be happy to show you the back of our RV.

ROFL!!!!!!

I was just going to say that there are probably plenty of men that will be happy to share their RV with you!

lol, I'm such as ass.

Seriously, I'm a virgin, so I shouldn't be giving advice on this, but from what I gather you're going to be just fine in any situation unless you're prone to making bad choices anyway, in which case not much is going to protect you.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Make sure that your cup has a lid. Sippy cups do, and they have a handle that you can carabiner onto your pack. It makes the logistics of roofies that much harder to handle.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Have you done any solo traveling? Common sense rules apply. Do you have any friends relatives who have been that you can talk to about Burning Man, solo camping?
Elorrum

Postby MarieLakshmi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks for all the advice. After reading this I am much more excited to go. I love the sippy cup idea! I might actually be able to borrow my uncles RV he never uses. He used to go to BM a lot and hes the one who told me about it so he might let me do that. We live in minnesota so it would be a long drive by myself, but that may make it more of an adventure! I will definitely look at theme camps though. They seem to be a good way to get into the whole spirit of BM. To bad about the Barbie Death Camp, I love the name.
I camp alone a lot. I travel alone a lot. I am really used to it. I actually have been doing some Marine Boot Camp preps and they teach a lot about desert survival.
MarieLakshmi

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Of course, you are 18. I could offer you an Otter Pop and still show you the back of our RV. Only because I care.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Zulegoona » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Where in Minnesota I know a lot of Burners in Minnesota, though I've been a bit out of touch with them lately?
Zulegoona

Postby MarieLakshmi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Oh of course. Caring is sharing, Haha.
MarieLakshmi

Postby MarieLakshmi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Minneapolis/Uptown area.
MarieLakshmi

Postby Zulegoona » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:50 pm

A few of burners used to hang out/ work at Bobs Java hut, but I think they are now working at Lyle’s, I don’t know if anyone still goes to Bobs.
Zulegoona

Postby MarieLakshmi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh really? It would be great to meet them
MarieLakshmi

Postby Zulegoona » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:17 pm

If you take the RV you might want to think about riders or hauling other peoples stuff for some extra gas money. The years I drove out pulling a trailer I think gas ran me around $1,500, not to mention the extra week in Nebraska and the $1000 to get my transmission rebuilt.
Zulegoona

Return to Shelter & Camping