2-4 Virgin Albertans looking for rides to this years event

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

2-4 Virgin Albertans looking for rides to this years event

Postby BigPappaSmurf » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:25 am

2-3 of my friends and I am hoping to find rides to the playa for the 2011 event, leaving hopefully from Edmonton or Red Deer. Amount of supplies we bring is negotiable. Hopefully you have 4 seats in the same vehicle, that's why i'm inquiring this early. Can anyone help up out? We're college students without our own vehicles.

Thanks in advance,

AJ
aka Pappa Smurf

(Note To Mods - Feel free to place this in the appropriate section.)
)'(Love And Light Till We Ignite)'(
BigPappaSmurf

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 am

LOL, I felt free. Please check back here in Share Resources for replies and suggestions. (You are assuredly going to get suggestions). If you feel you need to get the info out again, please bump this thread rather than creating a new one. Please do not post it in more than one forum. Thank you.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:11 am

Papa Smurf--
Four people and luggage and supplies, in addition to driver and luggage, is way bigger than most cars can handle. I would suggest that you be very flexible. You could get lucky with a schoolbus or multiple cars in a caravan, but keep in mind that 1985 may not have been early enough.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr Helix » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 am

This could be trickier than you think. The big problem with folks that could share rides is the border cross. If there is ANYTHING that might set off the U.S customs people they will turn you away. And that means EVERYONE in the car, regardless of who did what or had what. My girlfriend is from Calgary and two years ago, the folks they were caravaning with got called on a RESIDUE and were denied entry. She made it as she was in a different car but they did not. And they had all the camping gear!! We had to come up with a makeshift camp for them to survive. Two years and $$$$ later they will make their return this fall. My point is that despite your best face and assurances that you are a good risk, they may not want to take a chance. So don't be bummed if you don't get a lot of offers on this. It may be for the reasons I've talked about. Good luck though and hope to see you there!!!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Dr. Helix is absolutely correct. We had a guy from our Village who's from Calgary and he was driving down alone (though in a caravan). Some number of years back he got a DUI ticket in Canada and the US Customs Service would not let him in. What I might suggest is that you consider flying into someplace (Seattle, Spokane, or even all the way to Reno) and arrange for transportation from there. Now you can't rent a car in the US if you're under 25 (so memory serves). But if there's any chance of one of you showing up on their radar or, heaven forbid, you do something stupid like trying to bring "contriband" across the border, it could be an expensive and heart breaking couple of days.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: 2-4 Virgin Albertans looking for rides to this years eve

Postby jpx » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:14 am

BigPappaSmurf wrote:2-3 of my friends and I am hoping to find rides to the playa for the 2011 event, leaving hopefully from Edmonton or Red Deer.

Edmonton has a sizeable burner community that have gone down in convoy for the last few years. This is the group that puts together Fort Kanuckistan -- with folks from Calgary I believe. There is a Fort Kanuckistan Facebook page. There is also an Alberta-Burners mailing list that you can find with a little research -- I believe their Google group is http://groups.google.com/group/fortkanuckistan/.

What else can I tell you. Yes, the border can trip you. My advice is to fly to SF with camping gear, having arranged a ride to the playa beforehand, and getting bikes at Kiwanis in Reno. Logistically tougher, but not by much, plus it is cheaper than you think to do it this way and it sidesteps the tricky car-based border crossing. And you cross individually, not as a group.

Regards from Montréal,
John-Paul Experienza
for me and my true love will never meet again
jpx

Postby Stickygreen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:53 am

There are plenty of rednecks from Alberta that go to the playa, check your local regional network for an Email list or website. Also look into snowflake village, they were AB heavy a few years back
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby Aviax » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:58 am

The regions is:
http://www.albertaregionalburn.org/
Email list is:
alberta-list@burningman.com

(just looking at our regions info on the burn website, man is that out of date)

We''ll be having our regional burn in late june. location still to be announced, but you can find more info on it on the regional site, or on facebook (it's called Freezer Burn)
Aviax

Postby Aviax » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:40 pm

and here is our current "Going to burning man" discussion group on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 8089860650
Aviax

Postby Freesponge » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:34 pm

I have a large group leaving from Edmonton. Me and my best friend bought a motor coach for the event so we aren't limited by space. We are all college students as well so most of us are relatively broke as well so we would expect you to pitch for diesel.

Only big rule we have is no drugs because we don't want to get stuck at the border.
Noodles
Freesponge

Postby manydaze84 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Stickygreen
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:53 am Post subject:
There are plenty of rednecks from Alberta that go to the playa, check your local regional network for an Email list or website. Also look into snowflake village, they were AB heavy a few years back

i kind of doubt any actual rednecks will be attending burningman..........and fyi not everyone in alberta is a redneck.
manydaze84

Postby CdnChick » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:36 pm

FYI - Kanuckistan is only one camp of AB folks, so use the links Aviax posted.

I highly suggest any burners attend the regional burn in June to meet other burners and network. I know several people that have made connections in the past that resulted in shared rides and plans from this event.

Good luck!
CdnChick

Return to 2011 Share Resources