Questions about DPW/Greeters/etc

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby psychoalpha » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Shockingly enough (apparently), early entry isn't a huge attraction for me. I'd like to go out early simply because I'm going to be unemployed and I'd rather go do some work than sit around on my ass in Portland for an extra week in August. I'd only be able to get there 1-1.5 weeks before the gate opens, so if that doesn't pan out.. that's okay.
psychoalpha

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Postby jkisha » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Another suggestion is considering helping Robbiedobbs and the Pottie Project. She is both a member of the Rangers and DPW, but what she does is both unique and necessary. You can see a lot of Black Rock City while performing a very vital public service, one that cannot be overstated.

What's the Pottie Project all about?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm

These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jkisha » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks. Who knew!? :oops:

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Well, I certainly did. But Robbiedobbs is a good friend of mine. Why else would I have suggested it I suppose.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:52 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Well, I certainly did. But Robbiedobbs is a good friend of mine. Why else would I have suggested it I suppose.

I knew, too........I've even gotten "Pooetry" on the JOTS......
Robbidobbs, is da bess.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:05 pm

C187 wrote:Forget about EE and everything else you might of heard, and think about these three things.

1) Will you have more fun, and receive more over all enjoyment because you are volunteering at the event?

2) What skills do you have that you use in the real world that you enjoy?

3) If those skills are confined to a certain environment, then how would they apply to the department your thinking about joining? (allow yourself to draw non-conventional but realistic analogies to realistic but presumed situations that could happen)

Do those things and a laundry list departments will turn into a few in short order. Those are going to be the departments that you'll enjoy working in, and presumably the ones that will enjoy having you around.

---
edit:
Completely unrelated. But don't Rangers do training in Second Life as well? j/w

I'm not sure about SL...it may have been tried one year when that venue seemed like it mighjt be relevant some day.

I respectfully disagree or comment on some of your list above.

1. You generally might not know if your event will be more enjoyable by volunteering. Almost to a person, when non-Burners hear of my volunteer commitment they don't get it. And without fail, when they attend and first voluhteer, they each express...."Ok, now I get it. It's awesome to be connected to the event..." I don't think this is something you can know before ya do it. Most people initially do it so they give a little back to the event....just a shift or two for some group.

2. While real world skills are helpful and needed, don't let that deter you. If you are at the burn to get away from real life, feel free to volunteer doing something you've never done. If they'll take you, have at it! Too many people I've talked to say something like "Oh, i work all year, so last thing I want to do is go out there and work." But they're thinking volunteering is gonna be like their day job. Doesn't have to be even remotely like that. In many cases, it lets your alter ego run free for a shift!

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:30 pm

psychoalpha wrote:Shockingly enough (apparently), early entry isn't a huge attraction for me. I'd like to go out early simply because I'm going to be unemployed and I'd rather go do some work than sit around on my ass in Portland for an extra week in August. I'd only be able to get there 1-1.5 weeks before the gate opens, so if that doesn't pan out.. that's okay.

Thats why many DPW go out. If thats not your first choice, there are art projects that will bo out early. Of course, work is involved. Can you list your skills or experience with building? It would help out greatly!

However, If you've never been to Black Rock, a week or few days early, may just fuck up your experience during the event. The playa will sap your strength if youre not careful.

And if you're the slightest bit curious, you can always do a work weekend with the DPW, to get a sample of what it's like.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby psychoalpha » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Skills: basic woodworking and welding. Offensive nickname generation. Carrying heavy things.
psychoalpha

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:20 pm

psychoalpha wrote:Skills: basic woodworking and welding. Offensive nickname generation. Carrying heavy things.

Make sure you mention that!

TomServo

Postby delle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Can one greet on their virgin burn? I'd love to be a greeter.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby TomServo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:11 pm

delle wrote:Can one greet on their virgin burn? I'd love to be a greeter.

I believe so. Greeters seem to work in teams...and as long as you can provide the basic info, you're covered when someone asks a question only a vet could answer.

TomServo

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 am

delle wrote:Can one greet on their virgin burn? I'd love to be a greeter.

Yup, go ask at info booth, but I believe greeters is always looking for huggy, friendly people to greet.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:43 am

Lamp Lighter Camp might be an option for voluinteering and early entry. I know someone with that camp who is out there a few weeks early every year.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby tamarakay » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:51 pm

one more question. there is a chance that kenman and i will get early entry passes too. Are there greaters out there on Saturday? I've been so looking forward to ringing the bell and just experiencing it all
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby TomServo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 pm

tamarakay wrote:one more question. there is a chance that kenman and i will get early entry passes too. Are there greaters out there on Saturday? I've been so looking forward to ringing the bell and just experiencing it all

Why cant I remember? I think they get started monday morning. If you really want the initiation, make playa angels in the dust, or ask someone to spank you! That was before the bell...

TomServo

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:15 am

They are there early, we have had early entry the last few years and were always greeted. That's where you get your map after all. Saturday before I think.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Rice » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 am

tamarakay wrote:one more question. there is a chance that kenman and i will get early entry passes too. Are there greaters out there on Saturday? I've been so looking forward to ringing the bell and just experiencing it all

Hi, If you are looking to volunteer with greeters (or any official crew), here is the link to the questionnaire: http://www2.burningman.com/people/

Just fill in what you can and you will be contacted. The earlier you fill the questionnaire in, the more likely you will get into the crew you want.

Rice
Rice

Postby delle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:42 pm

There we go.

Questionnaire(s) filled in and sent. I'd seen the sign-up page before, but always just presumed that they would never consider a first-timer.

In actual fact, the only one choice requiring at least one year of participation is that of the ranger.

....so there's hope for me yet....

Thanks for pointing out that link, Stretch!
delle

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:58 pm

stretch80 wrote:

Hi, If you are looking to volunteer with greeters (or any official crew), here is the link to the questionnaire: http://www2.burningman.com/people/

Just fill in what you can and you will be contacted. The earlier you fill the questionnaire in, the more likely you will get into the crew you want.

Rice

Losing patience? Or are you too Canadian, I mean polite to say so? :twisted:
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Pottie patrol with Robbie is fun and as mentioned, you get to see large amounts of the city in a shift.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm seriously considering volunteering for Gate/Perimeter this year. A friend of mine was out with them last year and it sounded very entertaining.
CapSmashy

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:20 pm

CapSmashy wrote:I'm seriously considering volunteering for Gate/Perimeter this year. A friend of mine was out with them last year and it sounded very entertaining.

If you think PG&E sounds like a good time, we always need new blood!!! Please fill out the volunteer form and put us first. Then we'll get in contact with you.

Looking forward to seeing you on the playa.
VeganChoirGirl

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:24 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:If you think PG&E sounds like a good time, we always need new blood!!! Please fill out the volunteer form and put us first. Then we'll get in contact with you.

You too. :)
CapSmashy

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:03 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:I'm seriously considering volunteering for Gate/Perimeter this year. A friend of mine was out with them last year and it sounded very entertaining.

If you think PG&E sounds like a good time, we always need new blood!!! Please fill out the volunteer form and put us first. Then we'll get in contact with you.

you may want to warn him about who to ride with, who's funny, and who's embarrassing..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:22 am

ygmir wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:

you may want to warn him about who to ride with, who's funny, and who's embarrassing..........

Ride?? Only if he's doing perimeter. He may be a bit more gate-y. Who knows? :) Plus...warn him?? I think not. We all need to learn these things on our own.
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Mojojita » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Delle - come on out to the Greeter's station during one of my shifts and I will be happy to get you right to work. It IS the best job on the playa. I will know what shifts I will have sometime in June - pm me then and I will give you my schedule. There is a Greeter's training manual online but I think it is currently down for editing.

Yes Greeters are most certainly fully operational 24/7 for days before opening - it is an essential part of getting theme camps to the right place and contacting their placement person to meet them there.
Mojojita

Postby delle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:40 pm

No shit? I'd be honoured!

I'll definitely be in touch!!!!

I'm a bit shamed to admit it, but since having signed up, I've been in to the Greeter's List, hoping to glean some more information and maybe introduce myself somehow, but the format in there has me totally befuddled.
delle

Postby SurlyBDrinkin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:46 am

[quote="C.f.M."]If you just want to "do something," skip Rangers and DPW, go for Greeters, Post Office, Arctic Cafe, etc.[/quote]

yeah because DPW doesn't do anything? please....
Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'
SurlyBDrinkin

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:29 am

No need to be ruffled. C.f.M. means that DPW and Rangers are more labor-intensive, so someone who just wants to "do something"--but doesn't know what that "something" is--would be better off taking a volunteer post that is shorter & easier.

(If you want your quoting of another poster to work, click on "Profile" top center, scroll down to "Preferences" and enable your BBCode.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!