Low-income

Low-income

Postby bluesbob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:26 pm

So, if I want low-income ticket I have to apply by January 26th.

This is one week after regular ticket sales start.

If I buy a ticket during regular ticket sales with a credit card, I cannot apply for low-income. I will be denied because my credit info has already been taken.

But if I apply for low-income I run the risk of not being accepted.

Which means I have to then turn around and buy a regular ticket at whatever price they are going for at the time.

Which could mean $240 instead of $210. Which means I could see a $70 difference in the price of my ticket depending on a lot of variables. $70 is a lot of money to someone working part-time and going to school full time...and trying to make ends meet which are miles apart.

So...I have to use someone's elses credit card to purchase a regular ticket. Then apply for low-income. If I get low-income I can then sell the regular ticket. If I don't I have the first level ticket.

This is all so confusing and so much work...all because BMORG is a pile of shit. Low-income should have applied weeks ago, before regular tickets hit the web. BM is a great event...too bad idiots run it.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby Sham » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 pm

You may want to buy that $210 ticket soncei have a feeling that you're not going be approved for the low income one! Just a hunch. :roll:
Sham

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:51 pm

The point of the lag is so that people who TRULY need low income tickets can get them. Not people who want to save money. I would advise you to purchase a ticket at $210. But good luck, the first tier sells out in a matter of about 20 minutes.

More over, if $70 dollars is going to make or break you, this is not the event for you.

Beyond the ticket (which is cheap for what you get) you need to buy:

food, camping gear, personal items like sunscreen (ear plugs and sunscreen seem cheap until you have everything all set and you realize, HOLY SHIT! that was a $250 trip to Target!!!), a bike for the playa (if you don't want to wreck yours), proper clothing, lights...

What I am trying to say is, this "vacation" will cost you a minimum of $800. More likely it will cost you $1500-$2500. If you cannot swing $70, I would say wait a while until your finances are more stable. :)

Low income tickets work best for returning burners who already have everything they need and basically just need to throw their stuff in the car and jet.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:02 pm

I would think that a week after ticket sales have started that there won't be any $240 (tier 2) tickets left...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:04 pm

lucky420 wrote:I would think that a week after ticket sales have started that there won't be any $240 (tier 2) tickets left...

You're right. Those will sell out within hours?? I am not sure. But I think that was the case last year.
VeganChoirGirl

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Yeah I think they did. I got tier 2 last year and when I got in line I was #4598 or something like that. My mom called me that morning and told me tier 1 had just sold out, it was posted online on the Reno gazette so I went online right then.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby bluesbob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 pm

This will be my 2nd year, I'm not a virgin.

I'm buying the $210 ticket...although I do have trouble with finances while going to school...I think I may be better off than others. So I'm not even trying for the low-income.

I was only trying to make a point, which was apparently lost on some.

If I truly needed to save some money, BMORG makes it very hard to do. In fact, in trying to save money I run a high risk of having to spend more.

That's just not right.
bluesbob

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:49 am

bluesbob wrote:This will be my 2nd year, I'm not a virgin.

I'm buying the $210 ticket...although I do have trouble with finances while going to school...I think I may be better off than others. So I'm not even trying for the low-income.

If I truly needed to save some money, BMORG makes it very hard to do. In fact, in trying to save money I run a high risk of having to spend more.

That's just not right.

Easiest way to save money on Burning Man? DON'T GO. All that spending on things you don't NEED tend to add up. :P

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 am

bluesbob wrote:I'm buying the $210 ticket...

That should read: "I'm hoping to buy the $210 ticket..."

You'll have to log on in the first few minutes they go on sale to get one, and even then you may not make it. There's a whole lot of people who want those tickets.

I don't even try. I save up & buy third tier after the madness.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby C187 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:28 am

I think $70 is a big deal. But then again your chances of getting a T1 or T2 ticket on the interwebs are about the same as /rolling against a random number generator.

If your bringing in less then 20k a year, apply for the low-income. Although if you actually can do $253.54 (ticket + cost to mail to you + usps mo + stamp) then get a money order and mail out for your ticket once sales start.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 am

bluesbob wrote:This will be my 2nd year, I'm not a virgin.

That's just not right.

The performer tickets are worse, because you don't even know if your conclave has been accepted or if you're on the list to get one until late summer.

I try to get a lower level because if a performer ticket comes through, I can gift or sell my lower tier ticket to someone who missed out and is in a bind. But I always buy two tickets, just in case the Utah fire conclave falls apart. I doubt it, but I don't trust the universe to provide me with anything. Some say I shouldn't get or use the performer because we can afford tickets, but since that ticket is specifically for me (and one for MyLarry) and can be used by no one else, why not pass on my regular ticket to a local burner I know can't easily get one otherwise?

Some years, I get tier one or two, some years, I get level three. Crapshoot.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Hey there Captain Whineypants

Why don't you just go ahead and apply for whatever you're gonna apply for AND buy the cheapest one you can get.

If the discount pans out, you simply sell or give away the other for face value.

You've lost nothing and gotten your best possible deal.

Sheesh
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm

No, no. Not at all.

Basically what I read is that you have enough fortitude to maintain a credit card, pay for school and yet feel compelled to scarf a low priced ticket because you have this perception that being a fucking student affords you the prerogative to act like the starving student.

Fuck that.

You suck.
Isotopia

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:14 pm

"."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby The Bruce » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Does anyone have a link for the low-income application?
That which is above, is as that which is below, and that which is below is as that which is above.
The Bruce

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Molotov

Postby hsdavis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm

The Bruce wrote:Does anyone have a link for the low-income application?

I do! :D
https://burn.burningman.com/info_previe ... 3&nug=burn
hsdavis

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:53 am

Isotopia wrote:

No, no. Not at all.

Basically what I read is that you have enough fortitude to maintain a credit card, pay for school and yet feel compelled to scarf a low priced ticket because you have this perception that being a fucking student affords you the prerogative to act like the starving student.

Fuck that.

You suck.

I couldn't have put it better myself! :)
VeganChoirGirl

Postby zombiesnow » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:23 am

hsdavis wrote:I do! :D

Aaaaaah! Thank-you hsdavis for posting that link!!! I am so happy to get to think about the questions for a few days, and get inspired for a prettied up application for the admins to read :) This feels like sending letters to Santa..
zombiesnow

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:38 am

Lord Of Ruin wrote:Hey there Captain Whineypants

Why don't you just go ahead and apply for whatever you're gonna apply for AND buy the cheapest one you can get.

If the discount pans out, you simply sell or give away the other for face value.

You've lost nothing and gotten your best possible deal.

Sheesh

Oh thank you for that sage advice, Lord of Retardation.
bluesbob

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 am

Isotopia wrote:

No, no. Not at all.

Fuck that.

You suck.

I read your posts all the time. I bet you don't have many friends do you? You should go on Jeopardy since you know everything.

The biggest bitch on the BM forums?

Come on...you can do it..."Who is?"
bluesbob

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:54 am

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
Isotopia wrote:

No, no. Not at all.

Fuck that.

You suck.

I couldn't have put it better myself! :)

You should put it better because your just a shit for brains like the other one. Again, you two fucking idiots know not a thing about me...yet your making judgments based on what you presume to be my situation. That takes a lot of fucking inconsiderate self-righteousness.
bluesbob

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:38 am

Time Out for everyone.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to 2011 Tickets