Have had a few quotes back from RV companies...yikes

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby LoveLight » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:03 pm

we are planning on gifting everything - what ever people want for another burn..and yes gifting bikes back in reno is a great idea.

you are all so lovely and helpful, if this is the majority of the burn community then Im a lucky gal for been able to go..

How am I able to meet some of you..are you having a epalya get together at BM?
Love & Light
LoveLight

Postby Cheyenne » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:46 pm

will they allow tenters to fly with a tent? what about the poles and stakes? yikes?!

I have sent my large early medieval geteld/Pavilion abroad before and although I had to pay excess baggage, the stakes (which are hand cleft 8 inch long ash stakes) were in the hold, so no me looking like I'm going to terrorise a plane with some tent pegs.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 1208663069

:)

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:50 pm

PS.. if you want to paste a FB picture publicly, either cut and paste the link at the bottom which says "share this photo", or just right click on the picture itself and select "copy image location". Then paste that link by pressing ctrl-v if you're using a PC..

Like this:

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:56 pm

The thing about gifting bikes...
Well, if you're buying cheap bikes to begin with, and then you use them on the playa, so that they get dust in the workings and they can freeze up pretty bad, get into the bearings and whatnot. It can take a lot of work to make a bike right again. (I knew someone who worked in a bike shop, and his attitude was you might as well buy another bike, cause it's just as expensive to make the old one workable again.)
So, it might not be much of a gift after all.
I know that there are some people who are willing to work on them, people wiht lots of time...

Anyway, it complicates things.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:57 pm

Isn't that hot linking? Yeah, I know I'm a mod, doesn't mean I have IT skills.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:03 pm

AntiM wrote:Isn't that hot linking? Yeah, I know I'm a mod, doesn't mean I have IT skills.

Yes hot linking, but a way to get around the Facebook authorization thing. Also, if you copy and paste the link that FB gives you below the picture, it proudly displays your legal name with the picture and takes you to the Facebook page. If you do the right click on the picture and just copy the image location link and then paste that, you are just viewing the raw image file.. just like I did there and that's right from my Facebook account. That's a picture I took last time I was in Hawaii from a beach not far from my home.. *sigh*
junglesmacks

Postby JStep » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:52 am

AntiM wrote:Isn't that hot linking? Yeah, I know I'm a mod, doesn't mean I have IT skills.

Linking to an image or embedding the page they give you is usually ok, because you're leading people to the site that hosts the image. Deep linking (embedding the image in your post with no link back to the hosting server) is considered bad because you're basically stealing their image and bandwidth and they are getting nothing in return. I think deep linking/embedding is probably kosher with Facebook and other sites that exist, at least partially, just for that purpose. Like Flickr and Photobucket.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:24 pm

I think FB can handle it. F 'em.
junglesmacks

Budget on Marietta Way

Postby SuperNakedGirl » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:48 am

Used the Budget on Marietta Way for 2 years now and have been the nicest people. They know who the burners are because of the time of year and charge everyone the same deposit so no need to lie. The deposit is like 250 I think but I have gotten every penny back every year. Vinegar the inside of truck-which usually is not spotless to begin with so no huge time commitment, and just blast the inside and out of truck at a carwash (don't forget under the hood) and you are good as gold.
There once was a girl, who had a curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
And when she was good, she was very, very good
But when she was bad, she was HORRID
SuperNakedGirl

Postby Packoderm » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:17 pm

On Sacramento craigslist, somebody is advertising an RV rental for Burning Man. I'd ask them if they could set it up away from all the other rentals. I assume that they will do playa dust cleanup as well:

"Rent an RV, Toyhauler or Travel Trailer for your trip to Burning Man this year and we'll deliver and setup your rental. Rate is for entire week of $ 3195.00. All RV Rentals in Burning Man come with:

*A/C
*Generator
*TV and DVD Player
*Full Kitchen
*Full Bath

Make your reservation today by call us at 877-562-8941.

We also have a tent trailer available for $ 1695.00 for the week.

We bring the fun to you. Let us do the work"

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/2082555397.html
Packoderm

Postby manydaze84 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:58 pm

You know what? i have done some price checking and its actually considerably cheaper for me to rent an rv in Alberta )where i live) and drive down there and back plus a few extra days here and there, including gas, than to fly to san fran and rent one there? wtf?
anyhow, still might opt for tenting, im just worried my tent securing tactics are poor against the desert clime.
manydaze84

Postby CaverX » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:53 am

You can find multiples of these? How ya going to fill them with water?

Cheyenne wrote:
As for showers, we are going to construct a solar shower/evap pond and bring extra bowsers of water which can be transported in the van with the bikes/food/drink/coolers....

c
CaverX

Postby trystanthegypsy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:16 am

manydaze84 wrote:You know what? i have done some price checking and its actually considerably cheaper for me to rent an rv in Alberta )where i live) and drive down there and back plus a few extra days here and there, including gas, than to fly to san fran and rent one there? wtf?

Yup that's what our crews do. There were 2 big RVS that went this year. however certain people who put their names on the credit card didn't let anyone USE the damn things all week. so fuck sharing an RV with 10 people and still sleeping in a tent. wtf.

i'm getting a hexayurt.
trystanthegypsy

Postby manydaze84 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:07 pm

[quote="trystanthegypsy"][quote="manydaze84"]You know what? i have done some price checking and its actually considerably cheaper for me to rent an rv in Alberta )where i live) and drive down there and back plus a few extra days here and there, including gas, than to fly to san fran and rent one there? wtf?
[/quote]

Yup that's what our crews do. There were 2 big RVS that went this year. however certain people who put their names on the credit card didn't let anyone USE the damn things all week. so fuck sharing an RV with 10 people and still sleeping in a tent. wtf.

i'm getting a hexayurt.[/quote]

wow you're from edmonton? i thought i was the only one cool enough in this city to be going! lol.
thats really stupid you should just try and book your own if you can. how long did it take you to drive there?
manydaze84

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:00 pm

manydaze84 wrote:

i thought i was the only one cool enough in this city

Hmmm, humble much?

If you want the quotes to work (and a lot of the other board features) go to your profile and check "Always Allow BBC Code?" in preferences.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby moonstonerick » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:20 pm

I got a quote for $13000. driven to BRC set up at your site and picked up. I just about fucking choked . Guess I'm still looking. That email got deleated real fast.
waiting to get devirginized
moonstonerick

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:27 pm

When it gets closer to the event time, check reno craigslist. I saw quite a few private owners putting their rv's up for rent. Sorry can't remember prices but didn't seem as high as the rental companies.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:32 pm

My $300 rental 16' box truck made into my own personal RV looks better and better the more I watch you guys choke on insane rental rates.. lol
junglesmacks

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping