WHY THE HELL WAS CNN ALLOWED ON THE PLAYA THIS YEAR?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Tin Halo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 am

I saw that, too. Man... you should have seen the gifting going on after that one.
Tin Halo

Postby TheJudge » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:41 am

Noobs are retarded.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby The CO » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Tin Halo wrote:My favorite part:

"Woke up, had breakfast. Looked out my RV window and saw a guy sitting on a toilet. He was skidding by at about 45 mph in a massive trail of dust. He had his toilet mounted on a wooden sled, and he was being towed by a pickup. His pants were around his ankles, and he was reading a magazine as he skidded along. It was the magazine reading that made this truly a memorable gesture. "

Sorry to bump a dumbass thread, but I always love seeing this paragraph referenced.

I was camped with Todd, bringer & driver of the toilet. I can't confirm this, but I might have been that guy on the toilet. I did get to drive the truck while Todd & his wife consumated their marriage on the throne. It always brings a smile to my face when people bring it up.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby ibdave » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Good Bump CO.... Saw said toilet sled a few times..... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby bluesbob » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:45 pm

God...CNNNNNNNN. sheesh. I wish it been "The New Republic".
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby Cheyenne » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:29 pm

I first found out about burning man in 1999 whilst watching a series on british tv (channel 4) where a group of 20 something airheads travel around the world reporting from the biggest/best(matter of opinion)/most secretive raves and parties - and guess what, this was prime time viewing over here..

British TV seems to have this love hate relationship with rave reporting...

I was hellbent on going in 2001 whilst living in Toronto - I thought then, with all the camping equipment we had in our apartment we just had to drive down for it..

Until I told my (then) boyfriend how much the tickets were.. and he just laughed at me.. twat...

We ended up driving to Vancouver instead ..

I never really forgave him for that

- On talking about unairable antics - there used to be a programme aired after midnight which was a clubbing programme - and I got my tits out for them on a particularly fucked up evening in 2000

:?

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby Box Burner » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:36 pm

The CO wrote:
Tin Halo wrote:My favorite part:

"Woke up, had breakfast. Looked out my RV window and saw a guy sitting on a toilet. He was skidding by at about 45 mph in a massive trail of dust. He had his toilet mounted on a wooden sled, and he was being towed by a pickup. His pants were around his ankles, and he was reading a magazine as he skidded along. It was the magazine reading that made this truly a memorable gesture. "

Sorry to bump a dumbass thread, but I always love seeing this paragraph referenced.

I was camped with Todd, bringer & driver of the toilet. I can't confirm this, but I might have been that guy on the toilet. I did get to drive the truck while Todd & his wife consumated their marriage on the throne. It always brings a smile to my face when people bring it up.

CO - thats hellarious, Wish I'd seen that.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby bx1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:25 pm

gerlachedNloaded wrote:fuck that. i say next time we see cameras and asstards with mics and flowered shirts, we do everything we can to make ANY video they shoot unairable. that goes for the "tourists" at center camp too. day pass my ballsack.. :evil:

Relax man, stop worrying so much about the media. This isn't a top secret event for crying out loud.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby Ansgard » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:03 pm

bx1 wrote:
gerlachedNloaded wrote:fuck that. i say next time we see cameras and asstards with mics and flowered shirts, we do everything we can to make ANY video they shoot unairable. that goes for the "tourists" at center camp too. day pass my ballsack.. :evil:

Relax man, stop worrying so much about the media. This isn't a top secret event for crying out loud.

I agree! I've heard of Burning Man for years, through the media. But never really was interested, till I met an actual Burner. Perhaps they should ban Burners from Burning Man!?
Day of anger, day of mourning, when to ashes all is burning.
Ansgard

Postby fbcota » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:39 am

[quote="gerlachedNloaded"]fuck that. i say next time we see cameras and asstards with mics and flowered shirts, we do everything we can to make ANY video they shoot unairable. that goes for the "tourists" at center camp too. day pass my ballsack.. :evil:[/quote]

Time to shine troll :P.

Ok, as someone who has been "Media" at the burn your being pretty dumb. I was out at the event working on a documentary about Happiness. So, you plan on hoping into the background of my shot and being an ass because I have a camera and your quick reaction short minded stereotype labeled me as some outsider asshole trying to affect your life in some ill percieved negative way! Even though I may simply be filming an event that has helped open my mind and heart with the intention of sharing some of that with some of the 6.7 billion people that can not make it out to our little festival.

You should make a new festival. It can be a secret with no media coverage at all. You could do whatever you want there and nobody would know. It would be your little utopia. No seriously, do it,... it could be cool,...

Me, I'm gonna keep going to the GIANT festival in the Black Rock that has had a pretty steady media presence for the vast majority of its existence. And when I see media, instead of acting like a drug addict hippie burnout burning man steroetype I will be me and see if I can generate some press to bring more free thinking weirdos out to the nothing for whatever reason they deem fit.
fbcota

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:08 am

fbcota...nice +1
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Super Evil Brian » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:57 am

Bob wrote:700+ search results for "burning man" on the Wired website, versus 94 on the CNN website, fwiw.

Why is *anyone* allowed at Burning Man?

First off I'm stoked to FINALLY be going after wanting to go, but making excuses, for 8 or 10 years.

I thought part of it is diversity. I don't have a big, pink mohawk or any tattoos or piercings ... I normally have blue oxford shirts and my nerdy "high and sorta tight" hairdon't. Should I not be allowed in because I'm packing what I can in a Ford Focus and not a huge truck with an art car and elaborate camp? I have my regular bike, no costumes. It's a financial stretch for me to go.

Is Burning Man supposed to be a bunch of drunk, white rich folks with more money than common sense?

I work in the media and the worst thing any group can do is keep them away. It makes a non-story or something mundane into a headline all over some half-wit propaganda machine like USA Today or Fox News. Its also a great (and free!) way to get a controlled message out, instead of what a "journalist" decided was happening.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:12 am

you can get a lot in a focus.
Elorrum

Postby Super Evil Brian » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:34 am

Elorrum wrote:you can get a lot in a focus.

Impressive. I'm pretty good at packing a lot in there safely, without blocking windows or grinding cameras or bike parts into my neck.

I would love to have a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter and an unlimited budget, or the military Humvee box truck things they use for radar or ambulances (run the diesel engine on stolen jet fuel and/or biofuel!)

I may try to find a bike carrier so I can save some space by not having the bike in the car. But I know it will kill fuel economy.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:42 am

I take the bike apart and pack it flat. 2010 I turned the chopper into a trike, and did the same. It all fit. side mirrors only. considering taking out front passenger seat this year. Would love a transit connect, based on the focus chassis. erm... drifting, drifting.
Elorrum

Postby Super Evil Brian » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 am

Elorrum wrote:I take the bike apart and pack it flat. 2010 I turned the chopper into a trike, and did the same. It all fit. side mirrors only. considering taking out front passenger seat this year. Would love a transit connect, based on the focus chassis. erm... drifting, drifting.

We should start a "Focus Burner" club :)

I may do a practice run or two so I can plan this out. It's one thing to move or transport a bunch of stuff, but driving 1,800 miles is a little different.

I'll have a smaller tent and sun shade tarp thing, bike in the back seat, MREs and water in the trunk or back seat ...

Wait, what was the topic of this thread?
Super Evil Brian

Postby phoon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:17 pm

The last thing Burning Man needs to be about is money. I say pack whatever you can in whatever you have and call it a day. Isn't about the people and the art anyway? I don't think the media could ever destroy that.
phoon

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:24 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:In 96' I remember an article in the Elko newspaper with the headlines
"SATANISTS GATHER FOR A WEEK OF SIN IN THE N.W. DESERT "

I was laughing my ass off, wish I had kept it.

That's were the satanist quote in my sig comes from.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby phoon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Satanists gather for a week in the desert? That's ridiculous! Where did they get that idea? I love how these rumors get spread by people who have no idea what's going on.

Edited by moderator to remove commercial link in the signature.
phoon

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Yay Satan!
Super Evil Brian

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy