Moderator Notes

Read-only messages from the Burning Man Staff

Postby jkisha » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:09 pm

AntiM wrote:If you didn't see it, there is no reason to go into details about who and what. In general, one person began a thread about another person. It was unflattering at best. So, it didn't fly. PMs happened, it is now laid to rest.

Ahem. It had better be.

Also, I've needed a mod thread to address mod issues in general for quite a while. Someplace to throw up the bat signal to the rest of the board. The mods can get together in private, but the threads down in eplaya feedback are not effective means of communication to the community at large. Too many people ignore that entire section. Open Discussion gets enough attention to warrant a mod sticky. Technically not where this belongs, but it is where it works.

Didn't notice that thread either. Maybe is was started by, or the posts in question were made by someone I have plonked.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:17 am

It was up briefly before I spotted it.

I'm on vacation this week, my attendance will be spotty.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Zhust » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:58 am

I think any of this as a guideline or suggestion is fine.

I'll nitpick the "When We'll Moderate" section a bit more. I see moderation as a spectrum where the lightest moderation may be along the lines of preventing the place from turning into a link-farm spammer's wet dream, and the strongest would be to block bad grammar and other such minutia. I understand that everyone has a different view of what is valuable and what isn't, but I'm leaning toward a dynamic approach that tries to appease more sensitive people without going straight to the least common denominator where every post is puppydogs and rainbows.

I tried to pare the list of "When We'll Moderate" by leaning toward the light-handed approach informed by the 10 Principles wherever applicable. (Note that I intend for the first two to replace the linking policy of 1 link per post.)

• Linking to unrelated products, to pages designed to take over a browser (pop-up pages, etc.), or to malicious pages like viruses and phishing (i.e. fake login pages).
  • Linking to commerce pages without adequate "full disclosure" as to the relationship of the link and the user such as links to one's own Cafepress or Etsy page, or to a company one works for. For an unqualified link, there should be no known relationship. For instance if someone says to go to some specific EL wire company in response to someone asking for EL wire, the implication is they are just trying to be helpful and not to coerce a buck or earn a kickback.
  • In the case where a user complains of libelous or threatening statements made against them. Everyone has their own comfort level with this, and complaints shall be taken seriously. Nonetheless, there is an objective standard to start from: is the offending statement really libelous, or is it a factual account of events? Saying "XYZ is a thief" is different from "I was at camp and XYZ came up and stole one of our bikes".
  • Relatedly, blatant libelous or threatening statements without a formal complaint. (In other words, similar to the "snide, rude, threatening personal comments about or directed at any person", but I'd argue that there is a lot of snideness and rudeness that gets bantered between people playing linguistic sparring, so I'd stick to the libelous end of things.)
  • (Kept as-is) Spam-whinging. (I'll add that this is a specific online thing akin to a Star Trek styled replicator for bullhorns would be on the Playa.)
  • (Kept as-is) Unnecessarily attitudinal or inflammatory language, or posts that attack a point of view without explaining why.
  • (Kept as-is) Posts that contain vulgar or abusive language targeted at any group, be it ethnic, racial, religious, class-related, etc. We hope this goes without saying. (I suggest adding a specific note about "hate speech" where ones ideas are assumed to be subjugated to an author's stereotypes of that individual.)
  • (Kept as-is) Content that (omitted: "knowingly") violates the copyright, trademark, or trade secret of any individual or entity. (Also, implicitly or explicitly attributing oneself as the creator of the work of someone else.)
  • All these rules apply equally to moderators and administrators.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:58 pm

I did see the thread in question. i even posted in it, although it was not in content an endorcement of its existence.

I skirt the edge all the time. It's nice to know where I should turn around. I would love to enforce the rules of good rhetorical techniques, there are a whole lot of straw men that would burn nicely. I recognize this will never happen.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Box Burner » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:02 am

I saw the thread in question and just felt it was stupid and not worthy of anything I could think to post. Glad that it is gone. thanks AntiM
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Hey You!!!...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:25 am

STOP POSTING HERE SO MUCH!!!

(sorry Terits, carry on...)

the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby BAS » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:39 pm

O.K.! I won't post here again!

(aw, nuts! I just DID post, didn't I?!)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Thread drift.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby jkisha » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:33 pm

Well, I've withheld posting any suggestions here because I wanted to give this some thought first. Now, after considerable thought, I see the reason I needed to even think about it is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with how the board is running now and how it is being moderated. Now, if some of the current moderators decided to not do this job any longer, I might have a different opinion, but as it stands now, I can think of nothing that needs improvement in that department.

Now as to the IT department and site hardware and software upgrades....but that would be thread drift.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Zhust » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:45 am

jkisha wrote:... I see the reason I needed to even think about it is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with how the board is running now and how it is being moderated.

Having been in this boat before, I realize the desire to quantify how one works as a moderator so successfully. This listing of guidelines helps, but it really relies on the people. Quality moderators can read a post that they wholeheartedly disagree with and not click "delete", and likewise delete an offensive post that they may agree with. I realize there are people in the world who can't separate personal opinion from everything else in their lives, and they are prone to abuses of power. Everyone is at least a little, but some people have practically no filter at all.

All that said, I think it's valiant to try and hash something out, but it'll always fall short.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby AntiM » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:30 am

when the current crop of moderators were recruited, there was a lot of discussion about the level of moderation. Several people wanted an impartial mod who was not a part of the community to enforce the rules in an unwavering way. Obviously we ended up with community members who know the board and the eplayans. I like it that way, it requires mediation now and then, but for the most part, it creates respect and cooperation. (No, really, NeonT, it does in the long run).

The board used to be subject to spambot attacks which required all hands on deck, Dork fixed that. Many of the other mods have lives and are too busy to spend hours daily skimming, interacting and tidying up. I have the time to spend here, a true luxury. That is why although we have half a dozen or more mods, I'm the main presence. No life.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby neon tetra » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:55 am

AntiM wrote: it requires mediation now and then, but for the most part, it creates respect and cooperation. (No, really, NeonT, it does in the long run).

I dunno. I really don't see Image reforming anytime soon or showing any 'respect'. His schtick is to be the angsty 'badboy' of eplaya (oooh..so dangerous!), and he obviously has enough (read: too much) time on his hands to have thousands of posts and dozens of alters to do so. As I mentioned in the now-deleted attack thread he made about me, it really just makes me feel sorry for him. It's sad to see someone try so hard, yet fail so miserably.
It really doesn't bother me though, and I actually find it somewhat amusing. But what is unfortunate is that so many people use this board to research the event, to find & share information, etc., that aren't regular posters, but have to be subjected to all his antics.
Such is life though. We all can't live in a gingerbread house on lollipop lane.
neon tetra

A Note From All The Bad Kids In Class...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:00 am

We Love You, AntiM...

the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:17 am

So many of the civic advances of the 19th and early 20th century were brought to us by middle-class married women who had the time and the interest to "better the world" by campaigning. I sometimes wonder what we as a society [s]have[/s] lost when women entered the workforce in large numbers.

So we appreciate having a taste of that here, AntiM.

Edited for grammar.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:17 pm

AntiM wrote:It was up briefly before I spotted it.

PM me folks as well. I get the alerts on my driod and can erase crap as necessary while deployed as well.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Sham » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:56 pm

mdmf007 wrote:

PM me folks as well. I get the alerts on my driod and can erase crap as necessary while deployed as well.

That's great. Maybe you can erase this crap!
viewtopic.php?t=28199

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Sham

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:13 pm

Shambala wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:

That's great. Maybe you can erase this crap!
viewtopic.php?t=28199

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Funny Stuff...
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:49 pm

Eplaya moderation? There's only one thing to say. What we have works. Oh and Anti M is awesome. (Ok that's 2 things, my bad!)
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby AntiM » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:16 am

mdmf007 wrote:

Yep, and thank you. Wonder why you don't have "moderator" above your avatar? Mine magically appeared one day. Sue and Scotto should have it too.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:32 am

neon tetra wrote:
AntiM wrote: it requires mediation now and then, but for the most part, it creates respect and cooperation. (No, really, NeonT, it does in the long run).

I dunno. I really don't see Image reforming anytime soon or showing any 'respect'. His schtick is to be the angsty 'badboy' of eplaya (oooh..so dangerous!), and he obviously has enough (read: too much) time on his hands to have thousands of posts and dozens of alters to do so. As I mentioned in the now-deleted attack thread he made about me, it really just makes me feel sorry for him. It's sad to see someone try so hard, yet fail so miserably.
It really doesn't bother me though, and I actually find it somewhat amusing. But what is unfortunate is that so many people use this board to research the event, to find & share information, etc., that aren't regular posters, but have to be subjected to all his antics.
Such is life though. We all can't live in a gingerbread house on lollipop lane.

I love you too, now go fuck yourself.

did you noticed i used the color Neon Blue?

did ya?

god, i'm good.

you know what i REALLY LOVE...the fact that NEON bitched and moaned and cried to have an attack removed and then does the very same thing here...

like i said....Go Fuck Yourself, Toots.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:44 am

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Sham » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:52 am

So, we are starting off a new year, and it may be a nice thing to all give each other a great big group hug and be friends.
I am thinking that Simon and NT may need to be locked in a room for a few days to work out their differences.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0[/youtube]
Sham

Postby neon tetra » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:53 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:you know what i REALLY LOVE...the fact that NEON bitched and moaned and cried to have an attack removed

Actually.. I did nothing of the sort. I was kind of hoping it would stay, because it just served to make you look bad.
neon tetra

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:02 am

neon tetra wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:you know what i REALLY LOVE...the fact that NEON bitched and moaned and cried to have an attack removed

Actually.. I did nothing of the sort. I was kind of hoping it would stay, because it just served to make you look bad.

thats not what i heard....nice try...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Sham » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:06 am

You see how nice it is when you two stubborn paloogas start a dialogue. Isn't that better? Now give each other a hug!

Awe! :D

Sham

Postby neon tetra » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:07 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:thats not what i heard....nice try...

I NEVER complained about that thread. But if it makes your ugly ass happy to pretend that I did... go for it.

While you're at it, tattoo my name on your back. You are clearly obsessed with me, might as well make it permanent. ;)
neon tetra

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:07 am

and you know what? I have NO REGRETS.

when people like NEON TETRA say stupid shit, I CALL THEM OUT ON IT

if this makes me a Enfant terrible, so be it....

i wont let crap like the shit being spewed here recently go unanswered, otherwise the douchebags win...

and Neon Tetra, you are a douchebag.

so i guess this means the new year is just like the old until someone gives it up, because i certainly wont back down one fucking iota.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:14 am

it's on my arms, and there isnt enough Gelt in the world for you to buy a space.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Sham » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:18 am

I can't imagine a tattoo like that.
Sham

Postby AntiM » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:32 am

You two can stop it now. How about plonking each other?

For the record, no complaint was made. It was 100% my decision.

What happened to disagreeing without name calling? Sheesh. Asshole.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements