Crimson Tide

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Elorrum wrote:I think Crones were respected perhaps because they were rare then.

Crones Rock!!!

Google "grandmother hypothesis."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:15 pm

interesting. I agree it should be more than a glitch we just discovered by living longer.
Elorrum

Postby delle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Ah, the Crone! I always felt well grounded when I'd pull that particular card using the Motherpeace deck.

Now about this bleeding issue!

Being kinda premenopausal about it myaelf, I've been using a Diva Cup for the last few years --- which has been an absolute GodSend! It takes anything you'll throw at it (as things differ after a fashion, as some of us have found out), wipes clean and easy with virtually no water (leaving you spotless - not to mention odourless - as well), and has the good grace to just "feel a little heavy" to let you know it might be time to empty it out. (which I'd probably just plan to do in my tent as often as possible, using an appropriate container -- I may be being a bit naiive here). The best part is there's never any garbage to deal with except clean, odourless blood.

One part of my burgin soul wonders if this isn't the answer out there on the playa. The other part recoils at the thought of certain playa crotch.

Anyone have any experience with these there?

http://www.divacup.com/?gclid=CPuFicWEl ... 5QodqDJH5w
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby AntiM » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:10 pm

There's a whole thread about diva cups somewhere on here. Or tribe, but with the same audience.

Personally, I can barely manipulate a tampon, I'm a pad girl. I have a camp bidet made of a garden sprayer, a bucket with a toilet lid, and a generous and willing husband to wield the wand.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby danibel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:15 pm

I arrived on the playa at the end of my cycle this year and I use a Divacup (godsend!). I simply emptied it into the porto's. After emptying I would clean it with a baby wipe and then pack out the baby wipe in a ziplock to my trash bag at camp. When I stopped bleeding I gave it an extra wipe and put away in it's little bag. When I got home I washed it with soap and water. For me this was a lot easier than carting around tampons and dealing with all that extra trash out there.

I seem to be really lucky and hit my cycle whenever I go camping or on a trip. Lucky me.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Artemis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Here are a couple of threads that mention the diva cup and tricks for menstruating while on the playa:

viewtopic.php?t=9434&highlight=diva

viewtopic.php?t=7929&highlight=
Artemis

Postby delle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks for the links Artemis. Strangely, when I used the search engine, nothing showed up. Even tho I'd searched for posts and not topics.

So it looks like the cup will work there as well as anything else. Better than, even (in my humble opinion).

Which is good!!!! The last time I used tampons was as a necklace (with pads spread in my breast pocket as a kerchief) at an office party where we were asked to show up in Period Costume.

Sadly (yet again, dammit) nobody got it.

Seems kind of sad to me now how it was the tampons that got ditched rather than the humourless folk. Sigh.
delle

Postby lucky420 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:52 pm

delle, you really are funny. Maybe you'll get lucky and not have your period on the playa...I did. I was expecting it the week of bm but being premenopausal it came 2 weeks early...lucky me :)
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Artemis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:52 pm

delle wrote:Thanks for the links Artemis. Strangely, when I used the search engine, nothing showed up. Even tho I'd searched for posts and not topics.

You're welcome. The search feature on eplaya isn't the greatest. Part of how I was able to find those threads as I knew they existed, having read them before and thus kinda knew what I was looking for....I never search by posts/not topics. But I tried searching 'diva' that way just now, and although the Red Tent thread didn't get captured, the other one did. Better yet searching for "menstruat*" culls a lot more relevant posts, including this one. I read every single post on that thread before my first burn and it made the world of difference. I highly recommend checking it out.

delle wrote:The last time I used tampons was as a necklace (with pads spread in my breast pocket as a kerchief) at an office party where we were asked to show up in Period Costume.

Sadly (yet again, dammit) nobody got it.

Seems kind of sad to me now how it was the tampons that got ditched rather than the humourless folk. Sigh.

Ha! that's hilarious, Delle. What a great sense of humor! Welcome home. You're going to love Burning Man.
Artemis

Postby delle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Artemis wrote:Welcome home. You're going to love Burning Man.

You know, I'm pretty sure I AM. :D

MOD NOTE: I UNCHECKED THE DISABLE BOXES. Its one of my peeves as well, your new so I forgive you.
delle

Postby Artemis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:25 pm

delle wrote:
Artemis wrote:Welcome home. You're going to love Burning Man.

You know, I'm pretty sure I AM. :D

Delle- If you make sure all the boxes below the place where you type are unchecked, your quotes/code etc. will work. You can also make this change in your profile so that they'll always work. For some reason the default selection is to "disable" all of them.

Also the "preview" button will let you see what your post looks like, which can help identify a missed tag on the code.
Artemis

Postby delle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:34 am

Artemis wrote:
Also the "preview" button will let you see what your post looks like, which can help identify a missed tag on the code.

Ah. The concept of a mirror so one can do a quick booger-check before heading out to face the world. Brilliant!

Fully realizing this might not be the venue to ask* -- but forging ahead nonethless, given the presence of the savvy-and-willing-to-share -- I wonder if my problems run a bit further up the line. Should I be starting my post by clicking on the "quote" button of the post I want to have appear in mine? Keeping intact the "quote and unquotes" (clearly visible in my botched version up there). If this is the case, how in the world are you all achieving multiple, separate, quotes in a single post??? Something to do with that little "Quote" button above the composition window?

*(feel free to direct me to the puter-tech hall... I haven't discovered the door that leads there yet.)
delle

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:26 am

delle wrote:Something to do with that little "Quote" button above the composition window?

exactly
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Artemis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:49 pm

delle wrote:If this is the case, how in the world are you all achieving multiple, separate, quotes in a single post??? Something to do with that little "Quote" button above the composition window?

*(feel free to direct me to the puter-tech hall... I haven't discovered the
door that leads there yet.)

Yes, I usually use the "quote" to reply to someone's post, but you don't have to. If you use that feature it'll show who typed the thing to which you're replying.

If you don't do that and instead use the button above the place where you type, highlight the sentence you want to quote and then click the button. It'll put both the code that opens and closes the quote that way. You can also add in the code '="X"' to show that X is the one you're quoting...

If you're ever curious how someone did what they did, if you click the "quote" button you can see their code when it quotes them in the box you type.
Artemis

Postby delle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Artemis wrote:If you're ever curious how someone did what they did, if you click the "quote" button you can see their code when it quotes them in the box you type.

Whoohooo!!! '="X"' Ray Glasses WITHOUT that pesky Nerd Look.

(tho I should really get over that one. Wore my glasses in here for the first time yesterday and realized that a certain favorite avitar in here said "Pound it!" rather than the wayyyyyyyyy sexier "Found it!" that had made me giggle every time I'd seen it.)

Thanks again for the insight!!! :D
delle

Postby manydaze84 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:23 pm

just skip your week off and take the pill throughout. if your not on the pill start two months before.
BEWARE: everytime i do this in the sake of travelling/camping i am a bit of an emotional mess a couple weeks after i was supposed to have my period, but its still wayyyy better than having to pack tampons.
manydaze84

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:39 am

manydaze84 wrote:just skip your week off and take the pill throughout. if your not on the pill start two months before.
BEWARE: everytime i do this in the sake of travelling/camping i am a bit of an emotional mess a couple weeks after i was supposed to have my period, but its still wayyyy better than having to pack tampons.

Well, I completely disagree with this. I'd rather have the practical pain in the assery than all the fucked shit bcp can and would do to my hormones, emotions, etc. Assuming it'd even work in the first place and keep me period-free.

But then, I've never taken BC in my life.
C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:39 am

Edited because that double-posted so I figured I'd chime in, using a Keeper or Diva would eliminate the need for packing extra supplies.
C.f.M.

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:03 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
manydaze84 wrote:just skip your week off and take the pill throughout. if your not on the pill start two months before.

Well, I completely disagree with this. I'd rather have the practical pain in the assery than all the fucked shit bcp can and would do to my hormones, emotions, etc. Assuming it'd even work in the first place and keep me period-free.

But then, I've never taken BC in my life.

Actually, there was never any scientific reason for birth control pills to be taken in short cycles with menstrual periods in between; they were originally proposed that way for FDA approval just as a marketing strategy, to make them seem more "natural." They work in your body by mimicking pregnancy, fooling your ovaries into not releasing eggs, so taking them for months at a time is more natural than the short bursts that are currently sold. In fact they are often prescribed to be taken for months straight as a treatment for endometriosis, and have proven to be safe and effective. Thats how I found out about this better way to take them. In fact, I took them that way for more than 10 years, to keep my endometriosis under control, and when I stopped the pills, I got pregnant within 2 months. For the first time. At age 32. :)

The side effects vary from person to person of course, but, real pregnancy and real PMS were much more troublesome emotionally for me than anything I experienced while on the pill. YMMV. But it's pretty clear that pausing the pills for menstrual periods is not really necessary.
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41 pm

I heard that the fake cycling was to appease the Catholic Church, making it seem less like birth control and more like????

Maybe I shouldn't believe everything I heard.

The damn pill completely ruined my life, but, whatever...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:53 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I heard that the fake cycling was to appease the Catholic Church, making it seem less like birth control and more like????

Yep, that has been admitted in print. Didn't work, but by then it was too late to change the federal approval paperwork.

Sorry you had a bad experience with them. :(
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby manydaze84 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:52 pm

%^^&** i can NOT figure out to use the fancy quote buttons so im sorry...

CFM - yeah fair enough but to be honest the mental stress about having to plan my day around freaking call of nature, i find to be worse. id take the bcp 365 days a year if i thought it wouldnt give me a stroke!
also there is NO WAY id consider the use of some reusable item in a desert sand storm environment, just sayin'! i'd strangle baby seals to death to make fur seat covers for my HUMMER before i did that.

mydearfriend - wow ! that just goes to show you though.....it effects everyone differently.
manydaze84

Postby ¡Niers! » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:50 am

Being a gay man really makes sense to me all of a sudden.
¡Niers!

Postby trystanthegypsy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:48 am

the pill is terrible for you for a bunch of reasons. if it works for you then great, but I sure as hell wouldn't advise taking it just so you can pick when to bleed.
trystanthegypsy

Re: Crimson Tide

Postby AntiM » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:03 am

Fucking PMS AND cramps? NOW?! Fuck you, biology. Come on, menopause!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby delle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:10 am

Same boat. Same river.

Fuck.

I'm blaming a newfound Extremely Badly Timed regularity on the rejuvenating properties of preparing for TTITD, since the regularity started just about when I joined eplaya. That it had to be "That Week" is just plain unfortunate.
delle

Postby Turnip » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:29 am

I screamed with glee when my period started a week early, this month.

Never have I been happier to bleed all over myself while I was sleeping.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby AntiM » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:23 am

I've been all over the calendar since I stopped the Tamoxifen. I never was regular, then I really slowed, got regular, and now I skip months or have TWO a month. I am sooooooo ready to be a crone.

I should have made pins in the shape of a big red M we could wear. With matching battle axes or uzis.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby delle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:29 am

Hahahaha!

I'd sport 'em proudly. Somehow it'd take the sting out of it for me.

Maybe I can just sharpie the M in red on my forehead. Should last about the same amount of time, right????
delle

Postby delle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:20 pm

:D Guess what I just got???? :D
delle

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks