Georgie Boy: Fallen Queen of Broadway by Mister Jellyfish

Re: whoops! watch your colloquiallisms.

Postby 1durphul » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
In the Castro (gay) district it is very common for somebody in a car to yell "faggot" out the window while driving down Market.

sorry, that was me, and it was intended for the bundle of sticks by the side of the road.

again, my apologies.

Thanks Simon, had you not pointed out the bundle I would have tripped. You may well have saved my life!
1durphul

Postby 1durphul » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Isotopia wrote:
The Georgie Boy I have in my mind's eye is more like Buddy.

or Daffyd Thomas the Only Gay in the Village

Buddy and Daffyd, two really funny gay characters.

What makes Buddy and Daffyd funny isn't that they are gay, it is the self centered nature of their view.

Buddy think he's hot shit.

Daffyd is a small town gay that has clung to the identity of being the only gay because it makes him heroic in his own mind. It is this heroism (in his mind) that means he must stay in the small town rather than take risks and move somewhere where his life would probably have more meaning. This heroic act is actually his own fear at work. That's subtle, yet the laughs that come from the audience aren't subtle, they are full on belly laughs.

As somebody else in this thread said, make Georgie-Boy more than a character, make him human. You might start by giving him a respectable name that a real human being would have. (George)
1durphul

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks all. Your observations are appreciated. I know that I asked you all for your input and some of your responses have been most helpful. Please don't take it personally that I may not apply all of them.

I like to draw light from many lamps when it comes to inspiration, yet I don't build my art installations through a democratic process. Like the leaders of many a good theme camp, a fascist dictator gets things done.
I made a speech to the crew at the first work day for Ein Hammer that "We are building a hammer. We are not building an eggbeater. Please save all of your eggbeater-related ideas for your own eggbeater project next year." We all had a chuckle about it, and some of us continued to use the eggbeater reference when the creative train got off its track-- kind of like thread drift here on e-playa.

The Georgie Boy project is going well. Please understand that some of my decisions/selections have already been made, including the name of the project, who Georgie is and how his character is defined. His dialog is what I am working on now, and I think I've collected enough so far to understand the diversity of the "audience".

I can't tell you how fun it is to control the robotic head with MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface). Soon we'll have a little party here with our tech crew to "play" the head and goof around with its capabilities.

With gratitude,

-Jellyfish.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby unjonharley » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:18 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Thanks all. Your observations are appreciated. I know that I asked you all for your input and some of your responses have been most helpful. Please don't take it personally that I may not apply all of them.

I like to draw light from many lamps when it comes to inspiration, yet I don't build my art installations through a democratic process. Like the leaders of many a good theme camp, a fascist dictator gets things done.
I made a speech to the crew at the first work day for Ein Hammer that "We are building a hammer. We are not building an eggbeater. Please save all of your eggbeater-related ideas for your own eggbeater project next year." We all had a chuckle about it, and some of us continued to use the eggbeater reference when the creative train got off its track-- kind of like thread drift here on e-playa.

The Georgie Boy project is going well. Please understand that some of my decisions/selections have already been made, including the name of the project, who Georgie is and how his character is defined. His dialog is what I am working on now, and I think I've collected enough so far to understand the diversity of the "audience".

I can't tell you how fun it is to control the robotic head with MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface). Soon we'll have a little party here with our tech crew to "play" the head and goof around with its capabilities.

With gratitude,

-Jellyfish.

Much Grasses, Oh spineless fish.
unjonharley

Postby Snow » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:I can't tell you how fun it is to control the robotic head with MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface). Soon we'll have a little party here with our tech crew to "play" the head and goof around with its capabilities.
-Jellyfish.

oh oh oh i wanna play, i WANNA PLAY!!!!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Georgie Boy responding well to animatronic therapy

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:31 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUQ98d_wyWs[/youtube]
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby pinemom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:18 am

Oh Mister JellyFish...I thank you, I havent had a real good pee the bed type of nightmare in sooooo long. Tonight is the night!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:06 am

pinemom wrote:Oh Mister JellyFish...I thank you, I havent had a real good pee the bed type of nightmare in sooooo long. Tonight is the night!

Um...TMI?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 am

I am quite sure that Georgie Boy suffers from more than just incontinence himself.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

"Out Of The Closet" as a Right Of Passage

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:34 am

This morning, I started filling out the BM grant application. This is always a great exercise for me to condense my "vision" for a project and distill the concepts into their primary components.

In doing so, I came up with this:

"This comedic piece draws inspiration from this year's theme "Rites of Passage" in observation of the mid-life crisis as well as the western obsession with rise to celebrity and subsequent fall from fame-- a guilty, voyeuristic pleasure."

As I explored it further, I was somewhat surprised by this observation:

"Georgie Boy's ridiculous attempts to deny his own homosexuality are magnified by his outrageous behavior and sexual double-entendre, demonstrating his extreme reluctance to claim the final Rite Of Passage that stands in his way and emerge from 'the closet'."

I would like to open this up for discussion here, and am especially hopeful to receive input from the gay community.

With gratitude, -Mister Jellyfish.
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Let me guess -- Georgie was tapped to play Roy Cohn in the film adaptation of Angels in America until Al Pacino agreed to a contract.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: "Out Of The Closet" as a Right Of Passage

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:As I explored it further, I was somewhat surprised by this observation:

"Georgie Boy's ridiculous attempts to deny his own homosexuality are magnified by his outrageous behavior and sexual double-entendre, demonstrating his extreme reluctance to claim the final Rite Of Passage that stands in his way and emerge from 'the closet'."

I would like to open this up for discussion here, and am especially hopeful to receive input from the gay community.

Look up old articles on Liberace (who else?) who spent a huge amount of his career denying he was gay. There's some good references in the wikipedia article as well. He denied being gay up to his death.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

He must have grown up in Denio.

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:37 pm

one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Liz Estrada » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:57 pm

2008 Called.....They want their theme back.

thats better.
"larry was better"
Liz Estrada

Gaypocalypse Now.

Postby Snowah Zark » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:06 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KtRJNaGPlk&NR=1[/youtube]
Mi casa y su casa.
Snowah Zark

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:32 am

Roberto's right. No real gay man would be caught dead in those argyles.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Roberto's right. No real gay man would be caught dead in those argyles.

the queens I know would kill for them.

they are not, however, known for their attempts at main-stream tastes to put it politely..

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Florists....the last refuge of taste.

Postby Snowah Zark » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Mi casa y su casa.
Snowah Zark

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Roberto's right. No real gay man would be caught dead in those argyles.

they are not, however, known for their attempts at main-stream tastes to put it politely..

Dammit. And I was almost passing...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:57 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:

for what? Lena Horne?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCG3kJtQBKo[/youtube]
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:46 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:

You is us, darlin', don't you worry none!

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:35 am

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:

You is us, darlin', don't you worry none!

(((Eric)))
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 am

How's this:

Every time Georgie Boy passes out from too much brandy, the lighting changes and the diorama portrays his dream sequences. Sometimes these are displayed on the old motel television. Other times they are acted out by the comedy/tragedy masks on the wall. They might represent the side of him that is fearful of coming out of the closet (sad mask) and the other side that wants to come "out" (happy mask). Their mouths move as animatronic characters that act out his internal struggle with it as he snoozes below them.

Would really love some input on this idea from our gay community.

Thanks in advance,

-Jellyfish.
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby unjonharley » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:45 am

Is our own spinless fish having a personal struggle :?: :?:
unjonharley

Postby Aiee! It burns! » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Sorry, I am just not getting this.
Aiee! It burns!

Postby Boijoy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:How's this:

Every time Georgie Boy passes out from too much brandy, the lighting changes and the diorama portrays his dream sequences. Sometimes these are displayed on the old motel television. Other times they are acted out by the comedy/tragedy masks on the wall. They might represent the side of him that is fearful of coming out of the closet (sad mask) and the other side that wants to come "out" (happy mask). Their mouths move as animatronic characters that act out his internal struggle with it as he snoozes below them.

Would really love some input on this idea from our gay community.

Thanks in advance,

-Jellyfish.

I thought you were scaling back this year :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Hah! Saw that one coming, Unjon. I'd make a great gay male, I just have a problem with the equipment and am not attracted to men-- then there's my hatred of show tunes. ;-)

Aiee: Kindly check out the project website at www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm for the explanation of the project.

Cheers.
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:00 pm

I like the idea of the "dream sequences"- the ones on the tv could have some really over the top dance numbers on them.

Oh, Jelly? I can't stand show-tunes. That is not a requirement of gayness.

Liking the equipment is.... :P

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Boijoy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:39 pm

I like the idea of the masks coming to life in the dream sequence. ONE could be his nagging mother who critisizes him & makes him dress in her clothes, etc. ok, mostly thats my childhood, but Im gay so it might be relevant.
btw. I like musicals. :)
Camelot is my favorite.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby unjonharley » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Hah! Saw that one coming, Unjon. I'd make a great gay male, I just have a problem with the equipment and am not attracted to men-- then there's my hatred of show tunes. ;-)

Aiee: Kindly check out the project website at www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm for the explanation of the project.

Cheers.

Just toying with you boy :P
unjonharley

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance