The BEST bacon recipe EVER!!

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Here and there » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:05 am

Boijoy wrote:Am I hearing "Late Night Bacon Camp" ??? hummm...

How about bacon recipe camp, where the dishes being served to guests have bacon in them, at least as seasoning? I don't know how well that would work on the Playa, because these dishes tend to be fairly heavy, but let's say that you're adapting the concept of burning to a colder, damper place like the Central Plains states, and you're holding an event in mid-winter. Heaviness in one's food might not be such a bad thing.

Here's a very simple, very Midwestern sort of thing as an example: We slowly fry a few strips of bacon (I think three would do) until most of the fat has been rendered and the bacon is deeply browned. We pour the fat from one pan into another, being careful to leave the sediment in the first pan behind, as that tends to burn. We'll have to leave some of the fat in the first pan to do that, but don't worry. We'll get it back.

In the second pan, the one with the clear fat, we'll brown the pieces of a disjoined chicken, with the skin on, over medium high heat until the skin is golden and the edges of the inside of the rib cage show a little color.

In the first pan, one large or a few small carrots (sliced thickly) are cooked over medium heat until softened and brown around the edges, with two coarsely chopped green bell peppers keeping them company in the pan. A roughly equal quantity of coarsely chopped yellow onion is added, red pepper sprinkled over it, the onions then being cooked until they begin to soften, with the carrots. One or two chopped cloves of garlic are added, and we continue cooking over medium heat until the onion is soft and taking on color. We sprinkle paprika over all of this - maybe about a teaspoon's worth - and cook until the paprika has just begun to color the fat in the pan and release its odor, immediately adding maybe a pound of chopped tomatos. Canned are fine, and in the Midwest at midwinter, about as good as you're likely to do, the climate being what it is. The tomatoes are cooked until they've released their juice, and the juice has evaporated, and the tomatoes have softened.

The green peppers will probably seem kind of raw in the center, and a little overcooked around the edges. That's fine, in fact, what we want, which is why we keep the pieces of pepper large.

We now add the chicken from the second pan, enough chicken broth to braise the chicken, a heavy sprinkling of caraway seed being added. The reserved bacon strips are crumbled and added to the sauce in the pan. We stir to blend the broth into the vegetable and bacon mixture in the pan, and then bring the pan up to a simmer, dropping the temperature down to low, partially covering the pan and braising the chicken until it's done. We take the chicken out, and, keeping it warm, bring the sauce in the pan up to a brisk boil, and, stirring it rapidly to keep it from burning, reduce the sauce until thick, and return the chicken to it.

Comments: This is best done in cast iron. Aluminum won't distribute the heat as evenly. Using two pans can be a good idea, because both the chicken and the vegetables will release juices that can easily burn if one takes one item out and then starts to brown the other in the reserved fat. This goes nicely with simmered buckwheat as a side dish. (Take large grains of buckwheat, stir with beaten egg, cook until dry in a dry skillet, add more broth, simmer until cooked and dry), using twice as much liquid as buckwheat by volume, and using maybe two eggs per pound of buckwheat.

The reason we're happy that the green pepper didn't cook all of the way through, at first, is because if it did, its flavor wouldn't blend with that of the tomatos, which is where much of the meatiness of this dish comes from.

On the Playa, we'd have a thick, gloppy sauce and an unholy mess to clean, but in the eastern woodland, courtesy of the more active biodegredation that takes place, the demands of "leave no trace" aren't as stringent as they must be in a desert. Most solid waste (eg. the chicken bones, in this case) still must be carted out, but scattering small quantities of ashes and dishwater shouldn't raise any issues. So, we can wash out hands and dishes, and not worry about what on earth we're going to do with all of that greywater.
Here and there

Postby TomServo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:47 am

Center cut bacon leaves less grease. Shit! Now I want bacon! Beef bacon produces even less grease...but tastes more like corned beef.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Here and there » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:42 am

Here and there wrote:Comments: ...

Oh. I overlooked a few things. Mustn't have been paying attention.

Three strips of bacon will provide about as much bacon flavor as we want for this, but they won't provide as much fat as we need, probably. So, on hand, to be added as needed, you should have lard, or even better, rendered chicken fat.

When you remove the browned chicken from the second skillet, deglaze the skillet with a little of the chicken broth, boiling and scraping the residue off the bottom of the pan, pouring the gravy thus produced over the chicken and the vegetable mixture.

You see one of the reasons for the cast iron, at this point, no doubt. Doing this would destroy teflon, and the juices would tend to burn at the hot spots in an aluminum pan. Cast iron, though, will give us a nicely, evenly browned base for our gravy.

TomServo wrote:Center cut bacon leaves less grease.

Not sure if you were replying to to my previous post, but if you were ... what you say is true, perhaps, but, we want the grease. It's an important part of the cooking fat, and gives the dish much of its character. Not so good for the desert, but nice for cold weather cooking, when ice is on the ground, and we're going to be physically active out there, whether we want to be or not.

Slogging through the snow does put some physical demands on one's system. The good news is that those demands do something to clear out one's arteries.
Here and there

Postby Here and there » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:56 am

AntiM wrote:How can you make 'sploding Peeps without a microwave?!

M80s

Last edited by Here and there on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here and there

Postby Here and there » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:07 am

Anybody else have some bacon using recipes?
Here and there

Postby TomServo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 pm

AntiM wrote:How can you make 'sploding Peeps without a microwave?!

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... PBzU6g6viU

Here's how they could have gotten better results:

Using about a half of a roll of caps, with a sewing needle, poke a hole through each explosive dot, till it makes an accordion shape. So all the dots and holes are lined up, flatten the half roll and remove the needle. Place inside peep. Maybe use a small piece of tape to keep it all together.

TomServo

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:31 am

Here and there wrote:Anybody else have some bacon using recipes?

My bacon's a natural cook and doesn't use recipes.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Here and there » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:27 am

C.f.M. wrote:

Here and there

Postby Here and there » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:57 am

C.f.M. wrote:

Image Image Image OK. What does that mean? Image Image

Here and there

Postby TomServo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:08 am

C.f.M. wrote:

Their are Bacon freaks who would have issues with that. Bacon wrapped meatloaf is my personal favorite. Bacon is a versatile food. And a life saver on the playa.

TomServo

Postby Here and there » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:19 am

TomServo wrote:Here's how they could have gotten better results:

Using about a half of a roll of caps, with a sewing needle, poke a hole through each explosive dot, till it makes an accordion shape. So all the dots and holes are lined up, flatten the half roll and remove the needle. Place inside peep. Maybe use a small piece of tape to keep it all together.

It's that kind of attention to detail that makes the world a better place. And a stickier one.
Here and there

Postby AntiM » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:07 am

1 package of chocolate-flavor stuffed Oreo cookies
1 can of EZ Cheez, any flavor, cheddar flavor recommended
1 package precooked ready to eat shelf-stable bacon

Open Oreo cookie. Squirt in EZ Cheez. Close the cookie. Wrap in two slices of bacon, making a pleasing X shape across the top of the cookie. Tuck in the ends. Consume. Feel your pulse race with the infusion of salt, fats and sugar.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elorrum » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:31 am

I like bacon. But I can't remember the last time I cooked it. I find it so messy and ... how does it become a perfect camping food when we all look for things easy and neat... oh, did I say that, write that? GET BEHIND ME SATAN!!!!!
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:38 am

Elorrum wrote:I like bacon. But I can't remember the last time I cooked it. I find it so messy and ... how does it become a perfect camping food when we all look for things easy and neat... oh, did I say that, write that? GET BEHIND ME SATAN!!!!!

*sends in "the enforcer"*

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:00 am

Elorrum wrote:I like bacon. But I can't remember the last time I cooked it. I find it so messy and ... how does it become a perfect camping food when we all look for things easy and neat... oh, did I say that, write that? GET BEHIND ME SATAN!!!!!

center cut bacon or beef bacon......some like it messy though

TomServo

Postby AntiM » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:34 am

I repeat, pre-cooked, shelf stable bacon. Ready to eat out of the package. No muss, no fuss. We even found a natural brand with no nitrates, cured with sea salt and celery juice.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby JStep » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:09 pm

AntiM wrote:

I repeat, pre-cooked, shelf stable bacon. Ready to eat out of the package. No muss, no fuss. We even found a natural brand with no nitrates, cured with sea salt and celery juice.

We cook ours in a wok usually, the whole package all at once. Drain off the fat a couple times if needed and it's not that messy.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:28 pm

JStep wrote:
AntiM wrote:

We cook ours in a wok usually, the whole package all at once. Drain off the fat a couple times if needed and it's not that messy.

Just like anything else on the playa (sleeping arrangements, costumes, lighting up, hydration,etc.) different solutions will be optimal for different people.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Ahem! AntiM I found your exploding peeps recipe!

TomServo

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Here and there wrote:Image

C.f.M. wrote:

Image Image Image OK. What does that mean? Image Image

Your syntax/punctuation implied you were asking about bacon that uses recipes. I replied as such knowing you meant to ask if anybody had any recipes that called for bacon as an ingredient.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby JStep » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:26 pm

My partner made these for me for my birthday, cause I'm a bacon fanatic. Most people's reactions to them are along the lines of "GROSS!" until they try one. They are very good, much like a cake version of a McGriddle sandwich without all the grease.

Bacon Maple Cupcakes

From the Bacon Today website http://bacontoday.com/maple-bacon-cupcake-recipe-2/

Ingredients
* 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
* 1/2 tablespoon bacon drippings (left in the fridge to become solid)
* 1 egg
* 5 tablespoons brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons maple syrup
* 1 1/4 cups self rising flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* tiny tiny pinch kosher salt
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/4 cup of minced bacon, cooked and drained

What you’ll do–
* 1) Cook some bacon in a fry pan (about 6 thick strips). Reserve the drippings and place in the fridge to solidify. Mince 1/4 a cup of the bacon. The chef should eat whatever is left to assure that the bacon is tasty.
* 2) Beat the crud out of the butter and solidified bacon fat ’till light and creamy. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat well until combined.
* 3) Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
* 4) Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.
* 5) Add some of the flour and mix, then some of the milk, then continue to alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in the bacon. Taste and add more maple syrup, flour, or milk if needed for desired taste. Keep in mind the maple frosting is very sweet, and to add in very small increments for alterations as maple syrup in large amounts can break a cake batter.
* 6) Scoop into cupcake papers and bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes for even baking.

Maple Syrup Frosting

Ingredients
* 4 tablespoons of butter.
* 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
* 1 cup of powdered sugar.
* turbinado sugar (optional, but recommended).
* coarse grain sea salt (optional, but recommended).

What You’ll Do –
* Combine the syrup and butter until combined. Add the sugar, a bit at a time, and whip at high speeds until combined. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes. Sprinkle on sea salt and turbinado sugar for decoration and a lot of added flavor.
(add some crumbled BACON TOO!)[/url]
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Previous

Return to Food & Drink